According to Brick Clicker. In may 2024 a new licensed space set (10341) will release with 3601 pieces for $260. A gift with purchase will be (40712) microscale rocket & launchpad. What do you all think the big set will be? Could the gwp have something to do with the large set? My prediction is the SLS rocket with a launchpad. Starship would be cool, but something Spacex related seems unlikely due to the cancellation or possible delay of the Falcon 9 (10301).

Edited by Bricknificent

8 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

I am really digging the new Sub Theme in space for 2024. Already got a a couple of that interstellar ship set and 2 of the 4+ sets just cause all those printed elements and the land plates are too sweet to pass up. I think I will get the big land base next and then probably the station after that. I am on the fence about the large 8 wheeled rover set but I might end up getting up later. The color scheme too is really great plus the printed elements with the space logo are lit.

The printed parts are always the best! Agreed, I’m not sure about getting a 8-wheeeld rover set too. Same for a construction mech. 

I have hover bike and interstellar spaceship i already built the hover bike but haven’t built the spaceship yet. I’m looking forward to build spaceship soon. 

11 hours ago, Lion King said:

The printed parts are always the best! Agreed, I’m not sure about getting a 8-wheeeld rover set too. Same for a construction mech. 

I have hover bike and interstellar spaceship i already built the hover bike but haven’t built the spaceship yet. I’m looking forward to build spaceship soon. 

Is there something wrong about the 8 wheeler rover? Or unfavorable?

Lego really threw us a bone with the 2024 space sets. Teased us with the space coaster though (they want us to build a monorail out of it.)

On 1/30/2024 at 3:00 AM, Mondo-TRON said:

Is there something wrong about the 8 wheeler rover? Or unfavorable?

I'd say the value of that set is a bit of a flaw, sure it has the biggest terrain build, and it's a land vehicle that can carry a module (not sure where the big base crane would attach the hook tho, only a bar sized handle near the bottom) but the rover crane could've been different as it takes a lot of space, but can only really move small things , and not to the ground, pretty much only to move battery packs.

Of course there's a lot of space to customize the vehicle to have something  very different, it can be converted to at least a pretty big cargo vehicle if crane and module are removed , and the technic frame is pretty much just technic studded bricks, so length of the middle section can be changed as well, or a turntable could be added to have 2 sections able to steer like some classic space sets, or split in 2 4 wheelers , etc. etc (would be nice to see some alternate builds too)

It's not a bad set, but a bit overshadowed by the good value of the 4+ set, the Spaceship, and 6 wheel rover set .

Edited by TeriXeri

56 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I'd say the value of that set is a bit of a flaw, sure it has the biggest terrain build, and it's a land vehicle that can carry a module (not sure where the big base crane would attach the hook tho, only a bar sized handle near the bottom) but the rover crane could've been different as it takes a lot of space, but can only really move small things , and not to the ground, pretty much only to move battery packs.

Of course there's a lot of space to customize the vehicle to have something  very different, it can be converted to at least a pretty big cargo vehicle if crane and module are removed , and the technic frame is pretty much just technic studded bricks, so length of the middle section can be changed as well, or a turntable could be added to have 2 sections able to steer like some classic space sets, or split in 2 4 wheelers , etc. etc (would be nice to see some alternate builds too)

It's not a bad set, but a bit overshadowed by the good value of the 4+ set, the Spaceship, and 6 wheel rover set .

Also, compared to the two larger sets (the base and space station), the large rover's figs fall slightly short—the base has both the gold commander and the dark orange construction team captain, while the space station has the dark green science team captain. So if you were planning your purchases based on the figures, the more plain construction, exploration, and science team figures in the rover might be further down your list.

Im waiting for alt build/moc for the mid-large sets.

I'm going to look at more reviews on the larger rover. Maybe I'll use coupons or wait for discount.

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Also, compared to the two larger sets (the base and space station), the large rover's figs fall slightly short—the base has both the gold commander and the dark orange construction team captain, while the space station has the dark green science team captain. 

I really think that the blue team leader (dark blue) should have been included in the command rover rather than the interstellar spaceship. 

I'll probably still get the large rover at some point but will see what the lab looks like first, perhaps if it's the right size, might use parts of the lab on the rover instead, and use the rover module, and possible lab module as extension for either  the Base or Space Station.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I really think that the blue team leader (dark blue) should have been included in the command rover rather than the interstellar spaceship. 

I dunno, I like the fact that you can get a commander/leader figure in one of the cheapest sets. Perhaps the construction team captain could've been in the rover, though.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:45 PM, danth said:

So last night I built the truck from 60434 that everyone says is underwhelming. After building it I like it much more; the shape and design of the cab is pretty great. But I think I know exactly what's "wrong" with it. It needs an extra set of wheels between the existing wheels. As a six wheeler it looks perfect.

c75ttYf.png

That + pushing the last wheel a bit further to the end.

On 1/31/2024 at 2:50 AM, TeriXeri said:

I have a suspicion that the modules were originally supposed to be fitted with a crane eye, as both "ground" sets with these modules have a crane quite prominently. At some point it became clear that it didn't quite work, so they changed their mind. The large base wis this huge crane at its core was given this tiny pallet in order to have something to lift. The crane on the rover, maybe once similiar in size to that on the land train the arctic subtheme with the frozen mamoth some years ago,  was shrunken down instead. Right now, the crane is barely better than the one in the 4+ set and definitly not fitting to be one of the main features on such a large set.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:37 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

The pilots' team leader should have been in the space station, the scinteiest (green) in the rover and the construction/mining leader in the base. This way each of the larger sets, would have gotten an appropriate commander as minifig.

2 hours ago, mon-o-mat said:

I have a suspicion that the modules were originally supposed to be fitted with a crane eye, as both "ground" sets with these modules have a crane quite prominently.

Yeah and previous module sets like the 2020 Ocean underwater base had modules with crane eyes, and in another set had this giant ship with a crane.

Underwater base itself has a small crane as well but seems to be at most to dock the submarine module, + the submarine/module hybrid vehicle also comes with hooks, in a water environment it all makes sense, perhaps the modules get filled with air to become somewhat floaty and lighter weight.

The crane in the space sets is a bit odd, the only place it makes sense for it's size is the 4+ set with the included boulders+attachment point, but such a giant crane to lift a pallet in the base is a bit odd, but maybe it originated as control tower (it has 4 seats with computers which is nice, and 8 large window parts), and then the crane function was later added on.

Edited by TeriXeri

The problem with putting clearly unique characters in the cheaper sets is that you end up with a fleet of commander pilots

6 hours ago, Artanis I said:

The problem with putting clearly unique characters in the cheaper sets is that you end up with a fleet of commander pilots

Or a subfaction of space pilots versus ground vehicle drivers...

I don't think the dark blue suit is bad for being in a smaller set, surely you end up with copies of the same head if you get more then 1 , but other then that, the suit is "suitable" for other figures as there are no clear rank chevrons or pips or anything that would indicate there would be only a few of , outside of the color, and only being in 1 set.

I mean, even if you just get 1 of each set, you end up with multiple copies of the same figure.

3 figures from the space base, 2 get reused in the larger rover, 1 in the small rover, with the exact same head and suit colors.

And there's no telling if any of those leader characters would be in the 2 other sets releasing later.

Edited by TeriXeri

It's honestly not all that bad, but I do actually miss the 'good ol days' when they were just all the same minifig. Sp001 on Bricklink is Blacktron. 1 unique minifig for all sets it was in! Nowadays I need to track down 10-15 different entries for each faction to add to wanted lists etc. Last I checked these ones still aren't all on there!

After playing around a bit digitally, I have come to the conclusion, that the modules have a stupid size.

They are to small to do anything usefull with them, especially if you want them to fit with the Rover or the spaceship from the base, while they are still so large and blocky, that designing aroound them is annoying.

3 hours ago, mon-o-mat said:

After playing around a bit digitally as I don't have any set with the modules yet, only really interested in the rover anyways, I have come to the conclusion, that the modules have a stupid size.

They are to small to do anything usefull with them, especially if you want them to fit with the Rover or the spaceship from the base, while they are still so large and blocky, that designing aroound them is annoying.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:15 AM, Artanis I said:

It's honestly not all that bad, but I do actually miss the 'good ol days' when they were just all the same minifig. Sp001 on Bricklink is Blacktron. 1 unique minifig for all sets it was in! Nowadays I need to track down 10-15 different entries for each faction to add to wanted lists etc. Last I checked these ones still aren't all on there!

I don't think that's entirely a bad thing. And honestly for this space theme you really only need to recreate each individual fig exactly if you're a completionist—otherwise it's one gold commander, three dark-suited squad captains, and three general types of astronaut (with different faces and occasionally slightly different equipment built onto their backpacks, the latter of which I consider more akin to characters using different handheld tools rather than something that denotes specific characters). If I were collecting the theme more than I am I'd honestly prefer to NOT recreate exact duplicates of the astronauts and instead pick faces not used in these sets from City, Ninjago, or other themes to add variety and diversity to the ranks of my astronauts.

As it is I like the variety in this theme. As a fan of character-based themes I like the distinct commander and captain figs—even though they don't have names, they feel like distinct character designs sort of like in the '90s space themes I grew up with. And the other "generic" astronauts feel broadly diverse in a way few other space themes have.

I like the distinct commander and captain figs so much, I'd like to pick out some hairpieces for the three captain characters pretty soon for when they're out of their bulky helmets—I'm eyeing the "undercut" hairstyle used for Empress Beatrix in last year's Ninjago sets for the blue squad captain (ideally in a color like black or blonde), since it'd show off that neat constellation tattoo well. I wish Zane's hairpiece from the post-Ninjago Movie Ninjago sets came in dark grey for the orange squad captain, since I feel like its angular, rugged appearance would suit his distinctive facial hair—since it doesn't, I'm not sure which hairpiece would be best since dark grey hairpieces to match his beard are moderately rare and few of them have that modern, angular look. I haven't totally decided what hairpiece would be best for the green squad captain yet—maybe something like this hairpiece (which would allow nice access to his lens/scouter) in a color like orange to contrast with the other captain characters. And I figure the grey-haired commander fig could use a basic light grey hairpiece like this one (he reminds me of a sort of kindly patriarch figure like Jeff Tracy from the old Thunderbirds TV series).

I understand both sides.
I think it was hard to make variations of Blacktron (being all black, after all) but they didn't do it in following themes either.
However don't forget the even older Futuron and Classic Space did in fact feature all different colors, even if the design was still the same (still gotta get a black classic space one some time...).

I think the modern approach is more realistic but at the same time, that just begs to not only have 1 of each figure, but also more of the non-leading ranks. So I totally understand why people feel the commander shouldn't be in a cheaper ship that many people end up getting more of. Even though multiple officers in the same department can be a thing, not every pilot should be one.

22 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I like the distinct commander and captain figs so much, I'd like to pick out some hairpieces for the three captain characters pretty soon for when they're out of their bulky helmets

I might just use green and blue hairpieces, kinda boring but I got some of them, especially City has been using a bunch in recent years (mainly Bright Blue or Medium Azure, or Bright Green), as for the mining leader, I probably pick a Bright Orange one, as I don't have Flame Yellow wigs (or the CMF series 13 carpenter hat with hair)

Edited by TeriXeri

The thing about the 4 different coloured Futuron and 5 different coloured Classic minifigs etc, was that they were still identical within themselves. There weren't 5 different red ones with obviously unique faces, there were just generic red ones. So it's not the same at all! :wink: It didn't matter how many of each you had. If you have 10 mooks and they're all the same, it doesn't matter, IF their faces are generic enough. But if they all have the exact same tooth missing, identical bruises, then it looks all wrong. And if they're all high rank, it makes no sense. Worse, is when you have 10 Jack Sparrows and 3 soldiers for him to fight..! :laugh:

Bring back the classic smiley!

Yeah I just meant there was a minor difference in the old ones, even if it weren't much at all :laugh:

Totally agree on the last statement, the lower the rank, the higher the numbers should be. Hiërarchy is like a pyramid.

Do we know if the rumored black spaceship is still going to be released this August?