Klaus-Dieter

2024 Friends sets

Oh I hadn't realized that the mansion was a "reunion" set with all of the original roster! That's really cool.

Most of these are really nice sets in the Friends style. The Mars base with rocket is pretty fun. The shopping mall has an inviting facade and a good variety of shops in the back. The electric car and solar charger doesn't look as good as the electric car and windmill charger from a few years ago, but it's nice that it has a frunk. The hospital elevator is cool. I hope those parts appear in many multistory building sets for many years. Olly and Paisley's family homes are really good examples of attractive modern architecture with clean, efficient builds and smart use of space and details. I think they're up there with the best small playscale houses Lego has ever made. The mansion - wow, that is bonkers Malibu excess with a bonkers Malibu car. It makes my eyes bleed a little, but it's such a great piece of Lego building! It would totally go in my Lego city if I had a Lego city. But, no tabletop city, no Lego room, no Friends Malibu Mansion. Oh well!

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

So the characters are randomly hanging out in outer space?

Well, not exactly randomly, there was a build-up. Olivia went to the Space Academy in set 41713.
In the backstory, Olivia's father was an astronaut, too - and the time away from his family caused him and Olivia's mother to divorce.
By the way, it is nice to see Julian in both Space Academy and Mars Space Base. He was Olivia's lab partner and was presented as her potential boyfriend - but the time skip happened before we could learn if they got together.

This is how a farm set should be, well done LEGO :

42617_alt5.jpg

I figure the price is kept fairly reasonable due to not having horses or many large animals, but the build and tractor are just very good, more interesting to me compared to the last Organic Farm that was almost double the price (€55 vs €100)

And there's still the 41745: Autumn's Horse Stable for a farm stable that has a living room and beds.

41721: Organic Farm still wasn't a terrible set, but the lack of a plate over the kitchen/living space made no sense, as there's at least 2x10 space to store something up to 2 bricks high there, perhaps could've benefit from a hinged design as well.

I know there are no full plates under the 2024 farm roof either but I wonder if that's done to allow horses fit fully inside with their head up.

Edited by TeriXeri
Edit, mixed up organic farm and autumns stable sets, I meant the organic farm was the expensive one.

Why are friends set so good?

I feel silly buying dolls but this year I'm in for at least a couple Friends set. Maybe I can get them for my wife...and then build them and play with them for her.

I guess it’s time for my over-analysis of the 2024 sets!

The flower garden includes the butterfly and pink leaves from the botanical garden, in case it’s too expensive for you (but is definitely worth it)

I don’t think the hamster balls are new pieces, just the sandy helmet in a new color.

there’s a new seed print in the hamster playground! Will definitely be useful

I’m wondering who jamila is, love interest to zac?

The baby hedgehog is so cute! Might need to dig out my older hedgehogs!

Nova’s clothes in the stargazing camping vehicle are amazing!

vibrant yellow tent, for sleeping under the stars, in style!

The space cat, is such a dumb idea and I love it!

is the mars space base and rocket the first friends set in a while to not include any of the current generation?

Nova and Olivia are FaceTimeing, there’s something here between these two, I know it!

The mascot for the mobile bakery food cart is terrifying, like he’s staring right into my soul…

We finally got aria (Aliya’s puppy) in another set (besides the advent calendar)

I’m wondering, is anyone else thinking Jules might be non binary? I mean Lego never mentions any pronouns, so I guess we can guess away!

I like the new baby cow! I guess autumn took nova seriously in episode 2 and got a cow for the barn!

the color scheme in autumn’s baby cow she’d remind me of the organic farm! I guess Mia really did inherit the farm from marcel (or he sold it to her, going off my marcel = Issac theory, long story)

I really like the sign on the tiny accessories store!

I actually prefer the tiny accessories store closed up, instead of open for access!

So, the electric car belongs to zac, is he even old enough to drive?

While the last electric car was wind and partly solar powered, this one is fully solar! Guess it fits the space vibe of this year!

according to the description, the karaoke music party takes place on liann’s birthday!

The design of the karaoke music party reminds me of the room sets from 2023, might be intentional!

I’m confused as to why liann is in the cat playground, as in episode 2, she says she’s allergic to cats.

The orange cat is meant to reference Garfield and you can’t convince me otherwise

Luiz in the ambulance set features a new hearing aid piece! Really cool!

Apparently, liann and Ben are friends, according to the ambulance set description!

on the side of the vintage fashion store, there’s some ley-la graffiti, really happy that they’re actually going somewhere with paisley’s alter ego!

really nice to see jordin in a cheaper set!

olly has a little design studio at the top of the vintage fashion store!

I don’t really know how to feel about the new minidoll shoe, it just doesn’t feel right

I’m pretty sure the pig in the pet adoption day is supposed to be milo!

Back when the museum was first revealed, I thought that the recolor of nova’s hair would be used for the senior who used that hairpiece in that color, guess I was right!

Really like Anthony, the guy with the green Mohawk!

Andrea’s in the music talent show, for all the Andrea fans that can’t afford the mansion! Now we just need Emma in a cheap set…

I think that lightning bolt guitar is crane new! It might have even been repurposed from VIDIYO

There’s a message on the mirror! “You rock! Xoxo” if it’s from olly, I am going to lose my mind!

The farm animal sanctuary has cool yellow leaves! Guess I’m going to need to Bricklink those, need every leaf color for a project…

We got a new Lego friends goat! I guess 2024 is now year of the goat!

The windmill in the farm animal sanctuary has some stupidly clever parts usage

The pop star music tour bus is a nice upgrade of the last one!

There’s a function to turn paisley into ley-la in the tour bus, Very neat

I like the sleeping room in the back of the tour bus

I love the garden gnome in olly’s house!

There’s a little drawing of paisley’s ley-la outfit! Really love this detail!

I love the treehouse! Adds so much to this set!

Seems like paisley’s dad finally got over his drinking problem!

I still don’t understand what is up with the robot in the hospital!

I really like autumn’s prosthetic! Really nice detail!

Of course, I’m struggling to build an elevator, and Lego friends makes a way better one then I have…

The baby goat in the farm animal vet clinic isn’t new, just a recolor of Valentino from the wish sets!

the big goat is apparently pregnant! Is this the first time Lego has alluded to a character currently being pregnant?

There’s a vegan option in the hot dog van! Nice!

Of course after I just bricklinked the pony from the forest horseback riding center, Lego gives us another one!

I wonder if we’ll get riding outfits for the other characters!

The mansion is going to be a Lego store exclusive! Really cool!

Another working elevator! Nice!

Finally, a friends house where there’s a bedroom for the parents!

Autumn and Mia brought Andrea a present! I wonder what’s inside?

There’s a photo gallery, with pictures of the og 5! In one of the images Mia is showing them to autumn!

well, sorry for the long post, but that’s all for now!

1 hour ago, Lemerbrix said:

The mansion is going to be a Lego store exclusive! Really cool!

On one hand that means no discounts (beside insider point stuff) , but I have a feeling tho if it were not exclusive, it'd probably be at least €250 as exclusive sets seem to have a somewhat lower base price, as seen with some sets before, like the 3-in-1 Birdhouse, or Dreamzzz village from 2023, or the Creator 3-in-1 Castle compared to the Pirate/Viking ships (€100 vs €130)

But overall , it's still a very large set , and does not look "overpriced", the raised terrain with swimming pool and garage , and then 2 floors above it and overhanging, just makes it quite a large volume set as well, and it even has useable space next to the garage , behind the rocks.

It's interesting like it also reminds me of 41135: Livi's Pop Star House, but now years later, Andrea is the "P0P ST4R" , but I guess Andrea orders food instead, as there's no kitchen (which I don't think is a flaw of the set tho)

Also the Chinese New Years sets  so far good have been good deals, perhaps due to being exclusive and thus lower base price.

Monkie Kid also seems to be priced around exclusivity, especially in Europe, where the price is notably lower compared to the US dollar.

I also have a feeling some very large sets are exclusive, as they can't just stuff store shelves with giant boxes of ALL available sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/3/2023 at 12:04 AM, Robert8 said:

So the characters are randomly hanging out in outer space?

What

I never processed it this way but that's hilarious, much more ridiculous than I gave it credit for lol. 

On 12/2/2023 at 12:25 PM, DragonElves said:

Better pictures of the friends reunion set… amazing! And the parents actually have a bedroom, I usually feel very sorry for the parents of HLC not having a room of their own :head_back:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/andrea-s-modern-mansion-42639

God this set is incredible. So satisfying to get adult versions of the original cast. The color scheme of the mansion is gorgeous and the details are so exciting, we actually have a Lego version of Beverly Hills and that is so cool. The craziest thing is Friends is the theme to give it to us.

Brick Clicker has just confirmed next summer Friends are getting a jungle exploration wave, very exciting! I thought the last wave was great when they teamed up with National Geographic, which they might be doing this time as City are also getting sets. I hope they’ll be plenty of new animal molds, perhaps a recolour of the adult tiger from the Disney sets.

Seems the trend of releasing Friends and City subthemes / sets alongside (sometimes a little apart, alternating, or in the same year), continues then.

• 2017 Friends Hospital, 2018 City Hospital, 2019 City (Ski Hospital), 2020 Friends Hospital, 2022 City Hospital, 2024 Friends Hospital
  • City Safari/Rescue 2021 , Friends Wildlife Rescue (giraffe, zebra) 2022
  • 2022 + 2024 City + Friends Space
  • 2022 City Farm , Friends Organic Farm
  • 2022 City grocery, 2023 Friends organic grocery
  • 2023 City Sea Exploration , Friends Sea Rescue 

etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

Friends certainly gets treated with plant pieces, the bush/canopy, and big fern/palm leaf introduced first in via this theme.

LEGO making more multi-purpose plant parts is great.

Also the darker orange color is very nice, and will probably make Dutch builders even more happy, as Orange is their national color , especially seen around Soccer, Olympics, or King's Day, and the regular orange looks pale in comparison.

It's probably also a good opaque accent color for Ice Planet or Nexo builds compared to old orange/orange yellow, Coral has the brightness but it's too pink to be used like that (altho camera pictures can vary a lot on Coral as well)

Edited by TeriXeri

Was looking at the Friends Goats and other animals again, and LEGO seems to certainly have changed their design style quite a bit overall when it comes to Eye prints, first minidolls changed, but animals changed with it as well, the Friends animals still have colored eyes, but no more big eyelashes is a big step forward imo.

Biggest changes happened between during 2023, with animals getting a lot more eyebrow style markings, especially noticeable on larger prints like horses.

I think minidoll animals fit in much better alongside minifig animals nowadays.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just saw this speed build review of the new Friends mansion set... incredibly impressive build!

I do not have room for the mansion but it really is gorgeous - looks inspired by John Lautner and other architects of that era/region. With some interior modifications I could totally see it as a Systar System space base!

I’m definitely going to be picking up the mansion! I’ve seen a lot of comparisons to the twilight house that got approved recently. I also was able to get the international school on clearance (after Walmart wouldn’t sell me the 2024 sets, long story) and I’m now kinda wanting an expansion to the international school, after all, it’s definitely going to appear in the next chapter s2, so an expansion isn’t completely out of the question.

I came across the Space Base on shelves already today in Zaragosa, Spain. First time I ever say an early release for myself in the wild.

Just took a little snoop around lego.com and found this image…

IMG_1487.webp

oh this year is going to be SO GOOD, I’ve said this before, but I’m really happy on how they’re actually going somewhere with Ley-la, paisley’s alter ego!