Megbricks

71046 CMF series 26: Space themed!

On 12/16/2023 at 11:51 PM, Horation said:

You mean illegal leaks? Which are utterly unverifiable and could be prototypes, fakes or real with no way to know for sure? Yeah that doesn't count in my book...

15 hours ago, Horation said:

But it isn't morally right.

Oh no, someone call the authorities. A multibillion dollar corporation (one that lays off thousands of their employees when their annual revenue goes slightly down) had pictures of a toy leaked! 

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I actually quite enjoy this series. I didn't grow up with Classic Space or any of these retro themes, so I have very little nostalgia for that era and don't mind that these figures have deviated from those designs. I don't know if I have a particular favorite yet, but I think all of the figures are fun and fairly charming. As someone who primarily collects Star Wars, I like getting a lot of variety and color in my other Lego purchases, which this series certainly delivers on. 

For people concerned about how this series will sell, frankly, I'm concerned about how a lot of these numbered and non-licensed CMF series will sell with these blind boxes. $5 CMFs is already a tough sell for some, let alone when you can't tell what's inside (without a scale) and in Marvel Series 2's case, many of the boxes out in the wild will be ripped open anyway. Without a familiar license or IP to draw people in, I think people are going to be less and less incentivized to get these. Even then, I have to wonder how well Marvel Series 2 is selling. (Though potentially lower sales could have more to do with a general Marvel burnout and less immediately recognizable characters in this series.) Not to mention that stores may not want to continue carrying CMFs if people are going to keep ripping them open. Even with the last few blind bag series (not including Disney), I've seen for myself that stores around me have hardly been stocking them, if at all. 

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

It could be a test craft that utilises the new crystal/crystal-botanic battery tech. 

We actually don´t know if it really is new. I mean, more likely they already used that tech to get there - and actually I think in the Lego City thread there was an episode of the series where they just found that crystals (on an asterioid I think) - so I would say that Space series is actually playing in the future (well obviously) and they used that tec developed from that crystal to search in the galaxy for more.

We had crystals on Mars in Mars Mission (which I see as a successor to the 2024 sets), and wherever the City sets take place must be close enough to Mars for a rock with an alien in it to arrive there before the species in-question evolved into something drastically different or went extinct (especially since the City ones take place in the future). Either that, or the aliens are space-cockroaches! 

I would say Mars mission has nothing to do with this series. Lego´s later Space Series were all pretty much stand alone material.

The issue with that, however, is that the crew needs a way to ship batteries back to Earth and receive supplies that they cannot produce for themselves. 

Well to bring batteries and/or crystals back to earth you could use the Interstellar spaceship - however since it likely takes a lot of energy it might make more sense to collect them and wait till a bigger ship comes and takes them. Something like the Heavy Cargo Spaceship.

5 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:
6 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Well, good minifigs overall but 12 figures is definitely not enough. This one needs at least 16 minifigures. They could make even more cool space ideas and various space professions. This is the first time it really hurts they lowered the number of minifigures. I think they should do 16 at least for this series.

I would have loved that. As a long time fan of LEGO Space 12 for this particular theme isn't enough.

Definitely. So many possibilities for throw-backs, tributes, unique originals, re-colours of both vintage & recent.

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

We actually don´t know if it really is new. I mean, more likely they already used that tech to get there - and actually I think in the Lego City thread there was an episode of the series where they just found that crystals (on an asterioid I think) - so I would say that Space series is actually playing in the future (well obviously) and they used that tec developed from that crystal to search in the galaxy for more.

There was only one crystal in the episode (and it was pink rather than purple), but it was stated to be intergalactic in origin, so there could be some connection. Also, I believe that they were on the moon, not an asteroid (the other rocks were a meteor storm). 

I would say Mars mission has nothing to do with this series. Lego´s later Space Series were all pretty much stand alone material.

Since variants of the CS logo are used for the City space agency (and we now have colour-coded divisions appearing), I see Classic Space as being the endpoint LEGO space exploration (with offshoot factions taking over after that); also, I think that all (or at least nearly all) Space themes can be reconciled into a decent single timeline. 

Well to bring batteries and/or crystals back to earth you could use the Interstellar spaceship 

It does not appear to have any cargo space, though. 

however since it likely takes a lot of energy it might make more sense to collect them and wait till a bigger ship comes and takes them. Something like the Heavy Cargo Spaceship.

The Heavy Cargo Spaceship seems more like something that transports things to/from (or around) a planet and to a ship or station; that said, I agree that there has to be a larger ship being used for cargo transportation. 

I’m really glad that this series isn’t entirely made up of references to older space themes. As much as I love most the old space themes I think that what makes unlicensed lego so great isn’t any specific theme it’s that lego has an opportunity to be creative and introduce their own ideas. If they just keep remaking old sets and referencing old themes they might as well just be making licensed sets, they don’t have the opportunity to be creative which again in my opinion is what makes unlicensed so great. I’m not against references I love seeing the old themes get recognition but I’m much more excited about the Alien Tourist and the galaxy body guy than I am about the Ice Planet Guy or the Blacktron guy even though those are both some of my favorite themes. More generally I would much rather see Lego making good new original themes than remaking good sets from old themes. 

10 hours ago, FreeJawson said:

I’m really glad that this series isn’t entirely made up of references to older space themes. As much as I love most the old space themes I think that what makes unlicensed lego so great isn’t any specific theme it’s that lego has an opportunity to be creative and introduce their own ideas. 

Agree 

I just hoped they went with the Vidiyo aliens kind of creativity rather than something like the UFO costume or the robot thing (chef?)

11 hours ago, FreeJawson said:

As much as I love most the old space themes I think that what makes unlicensed lego so great isn’t any specific theme it’s that lego has an opportunity to be creative and introduce their own ideas. If they just keep remaking old sets and referencing old themes they might as well just be making licensed sets, they don’t have the opportunity to be creative which again in my opinion is what makes unlicensed so great.

I think the old themes are old enough that an update to them can be just as "original" as anything else they might do, with the added benefit of existing lore and a built in fan base.

Like the Ice Planet guy. He's just as original and exciting as anything else in the lineup, despite being based an old concept. I just wish the M:tron guy was as good.

The Blacktron mutant is also just as original as if he was some generic mutated space explorer, but with the benefit of being Blacktron. Although personally I'd rather have a Blacktron fig I can use in multiples; I don't need multiple Blacktron guys with two right arms and other identical mutations.

In my perfect world, we'd get a better M:Tron guy and maybe 2 more throwbacks, like another Classic Space or even Futuron guy (instead of the regular Astronaut) and maybe a 1997 UFO theme update (instead of the spider guy).

2 hours ago, danth said:

I think the old themes are old enough that an update to them can be just as "original" as anything else they might do, with the added benefit of existing lore and a built in fan base.

Like the Ice Planet guy. He's just as original and exciting as anything else in the lineup, despite being based an old concept. I just wish the M:tron guy was as good.

The Blacktron mutant is also just as original as if he was some generic mutated space explorer, but with the benefit of being Blacktron. Although personally I'd rather have a Blacktron fig I can use in multiples; I don't need multiple Blacktron guys with two right arms and other identical mutations.

In my perfect world, we'd get a better M:Tron guy and maybe 2 more throwbacks, like another Classic Space or even Futuron guy (instead of the regular Astronaut) and maybe a 1997 UFO theme update (instead of the spider guy).

I'm sorry, I just have to smile at the delicious irony of this quote in light of your position on the continued Space/Star Wars fanbase feud. That's all. I respect you, you know that :)

17 minutes ago, icm said:

I'm sorry, I just have to smile at the delicious irony of this quote in light of your position on the continued Space/Star Wars fanbase feud. That's all. I respect you, you know that :)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I think the difference is that SW has had scores of sets each year, and Ice Planet has had nothing for 3 decades and doesn't feel stale. And SW Lego designs are beholden to the movies (or shows or whatever), but Lego was able to do something original with this Ice Planet figure (new helmet and armor) even while maintaining the color scheme and basic concept.

Also I'm very in favor of NEW Space factions, with new color schemes, and I've said that before. Not sure if that has any bearing on the irony you mention though.

What I mean is that the Star Wars franchise is old enough that an update to it (ie the prequels, then the sequels, then the streaming shows) can be just as original as anything else, with the added benefit of existing lore and a built-in fan base -  creatively speaking, anyway, for the folks who get to work on the franchise. (In theory, anyway - we can argue endlessly about the execution, ie which of the sequels to hate and why, which of the streaming shows to hate and why.)

Except that doesn't quite apply to Lego because Star Wars sets are licensed instead of in-house, of course.

I just think it's kind of ironic how much you argue for the rebirth and extension of a 40-year-old space opera franchise and its Lego sets (classic Lego Space themes) while complaining about the creative bankruptcy of an ongoing 40-year-old space opera franchise that continues to get a lot of Lego sets, including a good deal of new material every year.

But we've had this conversation before, so I don't see any need to rehash it for old time's sake. I like Space. I like Star Wars. I'm happy we get plenty of Star Wars sets. I'm happy we're getting plenty of Space sets in 2024. Like you, I'd also be pretty chuffed if we got lots of new throwback sets to old Space themes alongside Star Wars.

I've actually argued that the age of the SW designs doesn't matter. I've never said "SW sucks because 40 year old designs, but Classic Space good because 40 year old designs."

I also think a 40 year old franchise can be creatively bankrupt (mostly due to being scared of pissing off the fanbase with anything new that doesn't look Star Warsy enough), while a 40 year old Lego theme that has constantly evolved can not have that same problem, without any irony or hypocrisy on the part of the person noticing.

2 minutes ago, danth said:

I've actually argued that the age of the SW designs doesn't matter. I've never said "SW sucks because 40 year old designs, but Classic Space good because 40 year old designs."

I also think a 40 year old franchise can be creatively bankrupt (mostly due to being scared of pissing off the fanbase with anything new that doesn't look Star Warsy enough), while a 40 year old Lego theme that has constantly evolved can not have that same problem, without any irony or hypocrisy on the part of the person noticing.

:thumbup:

19 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

There was only one crystal in the episode (and it was pink rather than purple), but it was stated to be intergalactic in origin, so there could be some connection. Also, I believe that they were on the moon, not an asteroid (the other rocks were a meteor storm). 

Well we see different colour crystals in the set too - however I think that scene kinda showed the first contact with that crystal - and they then analysed it, and tried to get more - and ultimately they found the origin of that crystal and once the tech was far enough they started to travel there to mine them.

Since variants of the CS logo are used for the City space agency (and we now have colour-coded divisions appearing), I see Classic Space as being the endpoint LEGO space exploration (with offshoot factions taking over after that); also, I think that all (or at least nearly all) Space themes can be reconciled into a decent single timeline. 

They mainly use it for nostalgia reasons, and because it is famous now - I woulddn´t put to much into it´s presence.

The Heavy Cargo Spaceship seems more like something that transports things to/from (or around) a planet and to a ship or station; that said, I agree that there has to be a larger ship being used for cargo transportation. 

It can carry containers - so it easily can collect the container full of batteries and drop it off on earth.

Where can we see these LEGO episodes? It would be interesting to see because of the lore.

Ok! I found all LEGO CITY Adventures episodes and 4 seasons. Do we know what episode it was?

Edited by legoturtle

21 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Well we see different colour crystals in the set too - however I think that scene kinda showed the first contact with that crystal - and they then analysed it, and tried to get more - and ultimately they found the origin of that crystal and once the tech was far enough they started to travel there to mine them.

That would make sense - Maybe the way that the crystals are used as a power source is by splitting them and harnessing the energy stream between the pieces. 🤔

21 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

It can carry containers - so it easily can collect the container full of batteries and drop it off on earth.

It seems more like a short-range dropship than a long-range FTL transport, though (at least to me). 

6 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Ok! I found all LEGO CITY Adventures episodes and 4 seasons. Do we know what episode it was?

The series in-question is LEGO City No Limits, not LEGO City Adventures (both can be found on YouTube). 

21 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

It seems more like a short-range dropship than a long-range FTL transport, though (at least to me). 

Well, the ship will be able to do whatever you imagine ;). 

On 12/19/2023 at 3:16 PM, The Stud said:

Oh no, someone call the authorities. A multibillion dollar corporation (one that lays off thousands of their employees when their annual revenue goes slightly down) had pictures of a toy leaked! 

So something is only wrong if the victim can't defend itself, is poor, and has excellent moral judgment? Well, good thing you're not a judge...

You are being intentionally obtuse here, yes that doesn't seem like a big deal when it is so seemingly insignificant, but let's watch you make something, prepare marketing, storage, packaging, etc... for it and have it be revealed by someone without you having any control over it and without the ability to control the narrative on it (ex: lots of negativity around it). Now it bothers you? Well don't worry, it is only wrong if you are a poor person with a stellar ethical judgment, but if you are a....CORPORATION (you know, those things which propel economies?) then it is perfectly reasonable to commit any crime against you. 

Not what you intended to say? Well that's what it sounded like...

33 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Well, the ship will be able to do whatever you imagine ;). 

Exactly, even some small TNG Star Trek Shuttles could get up to Warp 1.2-2 , without having giant engines, of course not enough to travel between stars, still quite the power to travel within systems. (size in LEGO would be about the little space train cockpit from the 2024 space station), but with imagination could be a cargo barge (larger in the shows) instead.

Going somewhat bigger , like the ship from the 4+ set, would be about Runabout size, Warp 5.

Then the interstellar spaceship and the one from the base would be longer range starships, Interstellar Spaceship looks the most advanced, like a Defiant class size, sleek and fast, while the ship from the Base has a cargo/crew compartment.

Of course this is not using any proportional scale to ship/minifig size, just how I imagine those ship classes.

There's not really a giant spaceship this wave unless you consider the Technic Dropship, which then would be a much larger cargo ship to deploy base modules, or perhaps space station parts.

But then again, nothing has to be like that at all, they could go any speed/distance you imagine.

Edited by TeriXeri

Ok. Think about it. Those are LEGO CITY/Space (2022) characters who found some kind of power crystal. So that new faction (2024) is them. They have evolved.

12 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Ok. Think about it. Those are LEGO CITY/Space (2022) characters who found some kind of power crystal. So that new faction (2024) is them. They have evolved.

Current Timeline
CITY Space 2019 -> Building rockets to get to space
CITY Space 2022 -> Reaching the moon and discovering crystals
CITY Space 2024 -> Using the crystals as an energy source to reach a planet within our solar system. Discovering aliens and botanical energy

Rough ideas for the future of City Space
CITY Space 20?? -> Building a monorail to transport crystals (Futuron homage??)
CITY Space 20?? -> Using the botanical+crystal energy source to travel to a planet beyond our solar system? (Ice Planet homage??)
CITY Space 20?? -> Mining for crystals in Space? (Power Miners/ Rock Raiders homage??)
CITY Space 20?? -> Constructing a permanent space base? (M-Tron homage??)
CITY Space 20?? -> Space Police 4??
CITY Space 20?? -> Discovering hostile aliens??
CITY Space 20?? -> There's a rouge AI/ robots become hostile. (Spyrius homage??)

39 minutes ago, playgood said:

CITY Space 2024 -> Using the crystals as an energy source to reach a planet within our solar system. Discovering aliens and botanical energy

One set beeing named intergalactic spaceship would kinda hint, that it isn´t within our solar system actually.

14 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

One set being named intergalactic spaceship would kinda hint, that it isn´t within our solar system actually.

I think you're right, the '24 sets take place outside of the solar system. So I made some edits to the timeline.

Current Timeline

CITY Space 2019 -> Building rockets to get to space
CITY Space 2022 -> Reaching the moon and discovering crystals
CITY Space 2024 -> Using the crystals as an energy source to reach a planet just outside of our solar system. Discovering aliens and botanical+ crystal energy
CITY Space 20?? -> The botanical+crystal energy source allow for travel even further outside of our solar system, to an Ice Planet

First of all...

1.) What kind of LOGO was there (2019) space faction? 

If it was not similar / same that (2022) faction, then they are not related.

2.) In (2022) that space faction -> NASA & CS, or something... launched Artemis rocket to the Moon orbit. They build Lunar Gateway space station, Moon base and they have that Moon rover... which destroys by asteroid BUT at the same time they find something PURPLE but it is not a plant...

WE HAVE TO STOP HERE! The colour of the crystal is important. Another thing is that we don't know what happened next. 2022 -> 2024 ... in 2-3 years this faction is completely different level! What in earth happened? That crystal? Is it the same that this Command Rover set where they find that super crystal? Is that purple. ... and if it is, is that crystal somehow different than violet crystals and purple plants OR combination of plant + crystal... THERE IS a BIG Mystery here, which we have to figure out somehow.

Edited by legoturtle