zinnn

Creating Studio files for ALL pirates sets

Would anyone be up for a challenge? :pir-grin:

Or maybe there is a thread like this already, basically I'd like to create a database/archive of all Lego Pirates sets in Studio format, that would be free for everyone to download.

A mighty fine idea @zinnn, and something which @Mister Phes and I discussed at some length (a while back) as an addition to the Classic-Pirates.com vault.

We thought of something like Brickset, but only for Pirate-themed sets, with HD-quality renders and, as you say, 3D Studio.io files free for grabbing.

Given the scale of the project, and us being overwhelmed with regular flow of work (writing blog-posts, social-media promotion, and maintaining the C-P website and this forum, and myriad of other tasks), at the end we concluded that this could only work if we make it a community project.

Now, to the second part, there is a thread somewhat like this on Eurobricks HERE. You can find a great number of 'Pirate sets' here in digital, which can be opened in Studio.io. Given the constantly newly added parts in the Studio library, many of these digital creations could be easily improved as they 'missed' some printed parts back in the day when they were created in the limited LDD software.

Now the question is, can designers find time and energy to re-create something for the good of the community, or will they rather use that time to create MOCs?

But, let's say several designers decide they want to jump-in and help, in your opinion, where and how should we begin?

3 minutes ago, Marooned Marin said:

A mighty fine idea @zinnn, and something which @Mister Phes and I discussed at some length (a while back) as an addition to the Classic-Pirates.com vault.

We thought of something like Brickset, but only for Pirate-themed sets, with HD-quality renders and, as you say, 3D Studio.io files free for grabbing.

Given the scale of the project, and us being overwhelmed with regular flow of work (writing blog-posts, social-media promotion, and maintaining the C-P website and this forum, and myriad of other tasks), at the end we concluded that this could only work if we make it a community project.

Now, to the second part, there is a thread somewhat like this on Eurobricks HERE. You can find a great number of 'Pirate sets' here in digital, which can be opened in Studio.io. Given the constantly newly added parts in the Studio library, many of these digital creations could be easily improved as they 'missed' some printed parts back in the day when they were created in the limited LDD software.

Now the question is, can designers find time and energy to re-create something for the good of the community, or will they rather use that time to create MOCs?

But, let's say several designers decide they want to jump-in and help, in your opinion, where and how should we begin? 

Fantastic, I definitely think it should be a community, no strings-attached project.

I didn't know about the thread you linked - amazing! There are a LOT of sets there already, which is fantastic, but would be great to go through them one by one to check if all the pieces and colours match.

The other day I created Studio files for:

• 70409 Shipwreck Defense
  • 70411 Treasure Island

And after comparing them with the existing files from that thread, my versions are more accurate (as you said new parts were added to Studio since they were first published). Happy to submit those to update. CC'ing @Calabar here

As for where to begin - it'd be good for anyone willing to work on this, to announce their plans here, so we don't have two people working on the same set. Of course we need to figure out where can we host those files - they're not large, so it shouldn't by a big issue. And obviously go through that list from [KEY TOPIC] Official LEGO Sets made in LDD thread to see what's missing.

A few years ago I created all of them, until 2015, in LDD. They can be imported to stud.io, but yes, faces, torsos and printed parts have to be replaced. And raised baseplate I had to do with bricks. 

This is a good idea and I think it could be good to on Classic-Pirates.com.

I asked recently for the 10210 but without success. I'm have a look at the thread. Or maybe @VICTORYCOUNT has it.

Recreating it in Stud.io takes ages. Probably because i'm new to the software too

1 hour ago, CaptainMoore said:

I asked recently for the 10210 but without success. I'm have a look at the thread. Or maybe @VICTORYCOUNT has it. 

Yes, I did make the Imperial Flagship. 

I guess I can create a Dropbox link or something with the files. EDIT: here we go: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ychcgzml3yldmbx/AAB5sxrxxM2PYu2Awj3DyDZra?dl=0

I would love to help with the stud.io files, but probably won't have any time at all. 

Edited by victorycount

2 hours ago, victorycount said:

Most excellent, thank yee for this contribution, if we ever get the database up and running, your name should be engraved next to each file. :pir-huzzah2:

ACTION PLAN - for people interested in this project

1. Create here the definitive list of all Pirate-themed sets (POTC included), and pin that list as the first post of this thread. [Who -> community effort]

For example

1464: Pirate Lookout - Studio.io file: YES - uploaded by VictoryCount, edited by CaptainN00B <-this means this is DONE!

1481: Pirates Desert Island - Studio.io file: YES - uploaded by VictoryCount, - NEEDS WORK <- this means it's open for everyone

...and list goes on and on

2. Crosscheck all VictoryCount LDD sets with definitive list to see if any set is missing (until 2015), and report here if something is amiss [Who -> community effort]

3. Go through all VictoryCount LDD sets, and repair/replace the missing parts, and save the files in Studio.io format [Who -> community effort]

4. Gradually create missing and newly released sets [Who -> community effort]

-----------

Here is the deal. If this project succeeds, I will contribute by making the 3D custom sails for all the ships, so we finally end the practice of making the tile/plate sails, like I did for the original BSB.

BSB-sails.thumb.JPG.d643de7ad37474383dc3412a166cbe77.JPG

14 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Most excellent, thank yee for this contribution, if we ever get the database up and running, your name should be engraved next to each file. :pir-huzzah2:

ACTION PLAN - for people interested in this project

1. Create here the definitive list of all Pirate-themed sets (POTC included), and pin that list as the first post of this thread. [Who -> community effort]

For example

1464: Pirate Lookout - Studio.io file: YES - uploaded by VictoryCount, edited by CaptainN00B <-this means this is DONE!

1481: Pirates Desert Island - Studio.io file: YES - uploaded by VictoryCount, - NEEDS WORK <- this means it's open for everyone

...and list goes on and on

Great plan! :pir-triumph:
And thanks, but my name doesn't have to be engraved anywhere. I did that for fun, when I found Steve's lego blog  with short text reviews of all the classic pirate sets, back in the days, and I had a similar idea like you to showcase those great builds in 3D, but never finished it. And also because I wanted to build all of them, since my only bigger set as a kid was the original imperial flagship.

So to nr. 1: where should the files be uploaded?
Maybe also add a note, if a file is finished, but needs double/crosscheck, or is that too complicated?
https://legosteveblog.blogspot.com/

2. Crosscheck all VictoryCount LDD sets with definitive list to see if any set is missing (until 2015), and report here if something is amiss [Who -> community effort]

3. Go through all VictoryCount LDD sets, and repair/replace the missing parts, and save the files in Studio.io format [Who -> community effort]

4. Gradually create missing and newly released sets [Who -> community effort]

Nr2 & 3: Better also crosscheck with the files you linked here, maybe they are in better condition; just checked my first files and there are colors that doesn't match(But that might be the same in the other files, since LDD is very limited colorwise), 1x2 bricks where I used the ones without bottom tube, and that was just in those small sets. Don't know where this leads in the bigger sets.
Btw. when did they change colors (ie. from brown to reddish brown, or gray to bluish gray...?

Nr4: In the Mod the Eldorado Fortress thread I saw you already did a .io file of POBB and the new fortress, right?

Here is the deal. If this project succeeds, I will contribute by making the 3D custom sails for all the ships, so we finally end the practice of making the tile/plate sails, like I did for the original BSB.

BSB-sails.thumb.JPG.d643de7ad37474383dc3412a166cbe77.JPG

Again, great deal! :pir-huzzah2:
looking at your picture: you already did the BSB? :pir-oh:

On 7/20/2023 at 2:22 PM, victorycount said:

I saw you already did a .io file of POBB and the new fortress, right?

Aye, I did, but they are incomplete. Eldorado is missing the Merchant cutter ship, and POBB needs all those small details when transformed into the island.

As for the rest of my builds, I did the old BSB and Caribbean Clipper - although without the digital blue/white sails.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, victorycount said:

Yes, I did make the Imperial Flagship. 

I guess I can create a Dropbox link or something with the files. EDIT: here we go: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ychcgzml3yldmbx/AAB5sxrxxM2PYu2Awj3DyDZra?dl=0

I would love to help with the stud.io files, but probably won't have any time at all. 

Thank you for that. I'll look at it later. Currently my life is too unstable to be able to care about this kind of project..

From next week onwards I'll be available and I could do some of the smaller sets-but I admit I have little knowledge on how to share files.

On 8/3/2023 at 4:26 PM, Horation said:

From next week onwards I'll be available and I could do some of the smaller sets-but I admit I have little knowledge on how to share files.

Meanwhile I also did some smaller sets:

1464 - Pirate lookout

1481 -  Pirate desert island

1492 -  Battle cove

6204 -  Buccaneers

6235 -  Buried treasure

6245 - Harbour sentry

6251 - Pirate minifigures

6252 - Sea mates 

I did the battle pack sets of each era, so one could just copy the minifigures from there, since they are quite annoying to recreate. 

Unfortunately there are missing faces and torsos from the Armada era in stud.io. 

Here is the 10210 Imperial Flagship in Studio format:
https://we.tl/t-EpDPJF6ZYT

I imported it from an .lxf file and corrected some mistakes (If I remember correctly).
I wanted it for my project of modding and improving the bow of the Imperial Flagship, to make it more realistically appearing while using as much as possible of the original pieces.
Unfortunately, it turned out I'm terrible at this, so the project was left unfinished.

Please download the file and add it to the database.

Someone way more experienced with this, can also correct any mistakes that are left over (and add crew and proper sails).