MyFirstMOC-Hun

[ENTRY] 1873 & 6258 Pirate Treasure & Smuggler's Shanty - Remake 2023

Hello!

This time I combined two classic sets, Pirate Treasure 1873 and Smuggler's Shanty 6258. This is a small island where life goes on and there are traces of greed and a few skeletons to show for it. There are also several hiding places to stash your loot, gold bars and gold coins. Soldiers about to dock bring the pirates their pay for a job well done. On the island there is a fisherman who sells his wares, a tavern of course, a shelter for the captain, a defensive cannon to keep out intruders, at least until the pirates escape. But are there still drunks lying on the beach who can't understand how the rum ran out again? And let's not forget the old man pushing his wages on the little cart, waving to the barman that he'll soon be able to pour another batch of wine.

Flickr

Instagram

lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 01lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 02lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 03lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 04lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 05lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 06lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 07lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 08lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 09lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 10lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 11lego 1873-6258 Pirate Treasure - Smuggler's Shanty 1158pcs 12

I love all the details from all the places gold is hiding to the food stand and the bar. I do have some suggestions, one perhaps you could use the other palm tree leaves for some of the trees to break it up. I spy a ship's wheel over to the side perhaps you could add other parts of the sunken ship? A mast, the ribs of the ship, Etc... The last thing is the imperials boat does not look right, why are they bringing gold to the pirates, they aren't perhaps turning the boat around so they can escape. Anyway, Happy building :)

10 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

I love all the details from all the places gold is hiding to the food stand and the bar. I do have some suggestions, one perhaps you could use the other palm tree leaves for some of the trees to break it up. I spy a ship's wheel over to the side perhaps you could add other parts of the sunken ship? A mast, the ribs of the ship, Etc... The last thing is the imperials boat does not look right, why are they bringing gold to the pirates, they aren't perhaps turning the boat around so they can escape. Anyway, Happy building :)

There are no more pieces of the sunken ship because it would not have fit, and it was swept away by the current.

The description also said that the soldiers would deliver pay to the pirates for certain jobs. There are situations where they don't want to confront the enemy directly, so they hire the pirates to do a job.

This is great!  I like the use of dark tan for wet sand, not to mention all the wonderful details packed in here.  The gull on the top of the smuggler's shanty is a great fit, and the choice of color for the palm leaves on the roof works.  By far my favorite bit is the fish being butchered, that is a spectacular detail and everything about it is perfect.

The dock that's pointing to the ship's wheel doesn't make sense: any ship that docks there would be pushed onto the rock.  And an official set wouldn't have more than one dock, I think.  I also don't understand why there's a unicorn horn on one of the rocks.

Is there a secret hidden under the dark gray Wedge 4 x 4 Fractured Polygon Top?  I hope so!

23 minutes ago, iragm said:

This is great!  I like the use of dark tan for wet sand, not to mention all the wonderful details packed in here.  The gull on the top of the smuggler's shanty is a great fit, and the choice of color for the palm leaves on the roof works.  By far my favorite bit is the fish being butchered, that is a spectacular detail and everything about it is perfect.

The dock that's pointing to the ship's wheel doesn't make sense: any ship that docks there would be pushed onto the rock.  And an official set wouldn't have more than one dock, I think.  I also don't understand why there's a unicorn horn on one of the rocks.

Is there a secret hidden under the dark gray Wedge 4 x 4 Fractured Polygon Top?  I hope so!

Thank you! 😉👍🏴☠️🍻

I guess you noticed that these small docks are not designed for boats at all. In fact, if you've seen a movie of this kind back in the day, you'll know that these small islands are not docked by big ships, but by boats. And so it makes sense. But you may have missed the fishing rod on the side of the little jetty. Because that's what the angler uses most of the time. So I also disagree that Lego wouldn't release something like that, because for example they did now, if you look at the new Eldorado Fortress taken apart, it will have two docks.

You know one of the things about building a moc is to use elements that no one else would think of or consider appropriate. Such is the case with this horn. In this color, it's part of the rock that has been shaped over the years into this shape by the rising waves. But to give an example. The armrests on the chairs in the not-too-old Rivendell are made of sausage.

No, there's no secret there any more. 😀

A great MOC

Theme

There's a clear story here, and it's done very well, but considering the size (and your talent), this really lacks play features ; there's a lot of space for defensive traps or for some technic feature to be added. On the plus side there's a lot of space which is used effectively and feels very lively (despite the mostly brown build) and a few hiding spots for the gold. But at the very least consider a few walls for defense near the undefended docks. 

Build

The colours are done right, as the whole build is mostly brown and beige but doesn't feel drab or boring, there's quite a lot to do and all sorts of animals and plants are used well, I'll just say the sand is really excellent and the rockwork is either original or , but the whole build feels a little too good for an official set, I'd have personally gone for something smaller, like many of your remakes, but I understand this direction of yours.

another fantastic MOC, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll treat us all to a render that will feature ALL your entries from this contest in one photo

8 hours ago, Horation said:

A great MOC

Theme

There's a clear story here, and it's done very well, but considering the size (and your talent), this really lacks play features ; there's a lot of space for defensive traps or for some technic feature to be added. On the plus side there's a lot of space which is used effectively and feels very lively (despite the mostly brown build) and a few hiding spots for the gold. But at the very least consider a few walls for defense near the undefended docks. 

Build

The colours are done right, as the whole build is mostly brown and beige but doesn't feel drab or boring, there's quite a lot to do and all sorts of animals and plants are used well, I'll just say the sand is really excellent and the rockwork is either original or , but the whole build feels a little too good for an official set, I'd have personally gone for something smaller, like many of your remakes, but I understand this direction of yours.

Thank you! 😉🏴☠️👍🍻
Finally someone who isn't crying about double layer water 😂😂😂.

Well, there were no walls in the original one and to be honest I didn't plan on it either, though not for that reason. I see this island as just a little hideaway, a little resting place for pirates. It's not in the set, but I imagine it shouldn't have walls because pirate ships are constantly circling not far from the island. By the way, this little island was inspired by such small islands in the Assassins Creed Black Flag game, and there were no walls or defensive traps there either, it's not the Predator movie 😂😂. I think it's a bit crowded and I don't think it would have fit much more.

Well a very high percentage of mocs are too good for an official set. As is the 2000+ piece sabre island in the promo, I think from SleeplessKnight. I ignore this because for me not only the initial pirate sets but also the ones released in the last ore are too simple and cheesy. Now here is this challenge and you can show me how I would imagine it. And since Lego has gotten into this 18+ line, I think they could easily release even a more complex set like this. See Barracuda Bay or the current Eldorado Fortress. Of course, it's my own fault that I now like to build in such a way that if the soldier needs to go up to the tower, he doesn't have to teleport, but can go up the stairs or ladder. And this approach only increases the number of pieces. But I like it that way 😉🏴☠️.

8 hours ago, zinnn said:

another fantastic MOC, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll treat us all to a render that will feature ALL your entries from this contest in one photo

Thank you! 😉🏴☠️👍🍻

I still have a few more ideas I'd like to submit, when I'm done I'll be happy to take some pictures of them all together. 😉

Terrific MOC again! Ther's so much life and so much thought put into it! So many "obvious" pirate scenes that haven't been done before, but here they are. Can't even tell what i like the most in here, it's just like whole bunch of small nonexisting pirate sets finaly thrown together and well combined with a huge baseplate. 

My only suggestion is that it doesn't look like an official set. Kinda the same problem Baracuda Bay had, it grabbed Lego's and fans attention, but it had to be more redone to obtain that classic feeling. So I'd add a bit of toyetic values into it as well as colour here and there. Maybe a hammock made out of sail? Or simply a mast with a sail to give those guys some protection from the sun? Someone said about pieces from the wreck and maybe that's an idea - perhaps You could implement some elements from Soldier's brig or Pirate's galleon into a bar? Like a countertop made out of admirals's former cabin, or whole shack made out of what used to be richly ornamented stern?

Or maybe there's so much loot on this island that some of this stuff could be used to built the whole compund? Like bricks from the governo's mansion used for that battery position, or admiral's uniform for a scarecrowgull or colorful captured flags and epoulettes used here and there, as sunroof or sunbed etc?  

21 minutes ago, iragm said:

Did you borrow the idea for the fish butcher from someone on Instagram?  https://www.instagram.com/p/CtOkYc_rBo8/?img_index=1

I mean this with the upmost respect, but it seems like it would be nice to give credit to the original designer for something that is such a large and distinctive part of this contest entry.

In fact, I didn't see it on instagram, but in a facebook group where the original creator was not identified. However, I did not say a word about the idea being mine. I saw a picture and tried to make it based on that. The original was better, of course.  What you linked is not the original either, just saying. Because the one I saw had no instructions and a pirate figure behind it. So I guess we still don't know who the original creator is.

Now that I've watched this tutorial, mine wasn't designed that way, and it would have been really nice to see that, to see me building my own version by recognizing the elements and experimenting.

Edited by MyFirstMOC-Hun

Another set update of yours which makes it hard to guess the originals from. Maybe also because I'm not too familiar with these two sets neither were they too appealing to me as a kid. The build is nice and there's a lot going on on the island. Maybe a bit too far for a real set, especially with the parts intensive SNOTed table. I guess the overall looks would benefit from a bit of green grass in the middle, which would also be more realistic for such a rich foliage on the island. I don't want to repeat myself too much and don't want to be pushy, but this was a perfect opportunity to try an irregular water line a bit closer to the coastline and make it just 1 plate high. The shape of the island could be of a less square shape in that case and the new solution for the edges of the water would not be needed. Which in my opinion doesn't make much of a difference with the crack in the water and combining tiles with studs for no reason (other than certain parts not existing). That aside I really like the plated shore combination and even the slopes don't bother me as much being further inside and not raising directly from the water.

Also I guess there's a cheat (mistake) in the instructions, as the cannon base would be in collision with the outer 1x2 jumper plate (:

This is a very beautiful island. Here are the bare essentials that pirates simple humble sailors need.

I see a rock formation that looks like a crocodile's head. To the left of this is a pirate sailor who is recovering from his exhausting work next to 2 barrels.

The fish on the fishmonger's table is interesting and good. It's a little shark. I would replace the 2 front bricks because they don't fit,

Superbe construction pleine de détails !! Mention spéciale pour le marchand qui coupe le poisson, j'adore !!! L'or caché un peu partout, c'est amusant. Ces pirates sont bien ingénieux ;-)

Niveau construction j'aime beaucoup les différents niveaux de sable au sein de l'île qui lui donnent ainsi plus de relief, c'est une très bonne idée !