Sign in to follow this  
Vdog

[ENTRY] 1492 Battle Cove 2.0

[Entry] 1492 Battle Cove 2.0

Ahoy there scallywags. Introducing my modern version of that classic Pirate polybag 1492 Battle Cove. Lego inflation is real and sets are larger  and more expensive then they used to be, as such my moc has 104 pieces compared to the 26 pieces found in the original set. The key features of the set are a small brick fortification on a tropical beach underneath a palm tree, that is protected by a cannon and shark infested waters.

I chose to keep the plant life to a minimum like in a official Lego set. I wanted this set to feel less like a AFOL moc and more like a set released by Lego. There are some really realistic palm tree mocs on this site. Likewise the fortification walls can be made to look more realistic if you use plates instead of bricks, however that really increases the part count. As a added bonus play feature, since the walls sit on only 2 studs, they can fall down if they receive a direct hit from cannon shells fired from a ship at sea.

vlErHh1.png

uY7TpYI.png

qc4D3ip.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For the AFOLS who like brick built cannons, I also did a version of Battle cove with my 18 piece brick built cannon. I personally like the look of brick built cannons for their size and affordability. However if Lego were to release more pirate sets, I think they would stick with the projectile launchers, as they are fun to play with.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EJgnogA.png

1LNadSR.png

=============------===================-------==============-----======================------============

As always thank you checking out my moc, and please feel free to leave any comments or suggestions.

may you have fair winds and following seas

Interesting approach with angled walls for this set, though I think that the walls are a bit too simple even for LEGO current standards. I'd suggest using a 6 long brick or plate for the base of each wall and get it angled on 2 studs (some Pythagoras stuff). One stud connection is flimsy and not suitable for such large objects. Also maybe try to make the walls look more like ruin instead of flat pillars. Throw in a headlight brick with a tile or some masonry bricks to add more diversity. Also the base looks too symmetrical especially with the leaves placement that should be the most organic thing.

Why black and grey for the walls? I feel even the simplest official lego set would have a few more details than this. If you want to have the wall black then Add some details like MstrOfPpts suggested. Add a simple roof with just two sloped bricks. Maybe through a window in too. You could also try some variation in plant life. Add some flower stems, with or without flowers.

I also think the walls are too simple. Not only are they both just basic vertical slabs (despite being angled), but they don't have any texture. It gives a general feeling of being unfinished.

A small set-but with a big room for improvement.

Theme 

The palm tree is sweet and simple! This does look quite remote, as it should, and th This small outpost has no living quarters, no food or drinks and has empty, clean walls, a few more pieces of foliage would not look out of place in an official set,and most sets would also have some of the above mentioned play features, now I do like how the walls are easily removed and the inside has a lot of room for play, just maybe consider something to do for our poor pirate to do, like a hidden treasure ingot or gem under the floor, and this'll be much better.

Build

The island looks good, but the walls...

Ok, so the whole build is very symmetrical, I'd move some foliage around and there's an easy fix. Now the big problem is the wall, I love that black and grey colour choice, it's an instant reminder of those old sets, but it's too straight and LESS detailed than the original. I'd say first go look at Myfirstmoc-hun's black and grey walls, they use bricks and ingots in a lovely fashion. Then I'd try to make the walls less straight with slopes and cheese slopes and more detailed with the odd masonry brick. 

On 7/6/2023 at 1:24 AM, Vdog said:

I wanted this set to feel less like a AFOL moc and more like a set released by Lego. There are some really realistic palm tree mocs on this site. Likewise the fortification walls can be made to look more realistic if you use plates instead of bricks, however that really increases the part count. 

Using bricks, you'd avoid this issue, and I'd like to point out that you can freely rack up the piece count (the 2 largest builds of the contest have 2000+ pieces, and most hover around 300 parts). Good luck and have fun!

Overall the building looks great, I like the tree and the land and sea, but I do have some suggestions First the shark looks out of place and I don't think the pirate is going to stray far away from the fort (you could add a spider or a crab in place of the shark though). Secondly, the fort could use a little touching up the walls could be crumbling and vines growing on them. Lastly, the cannon deserves to be put on a swivel. I look forward to any updates, Happy building :)

I'm a big fan of small-but-mighty builds. Huge MOCs are amazing, but with smaller MOCs every part counts -- and I think you've proved that here. I pulled up the original set and my first thought was to smile. I think you've done a grand job paying homage to the OG set, while also bringing a modern aesthetic to it.

The trick with these sets is balancing simplicity with design. Overall, I think you've hit that balance well. Excellent shaping with the palm tree - it brings a perfect pop of color.

I have three suggestions/critiques to ponder:

1) I think building out the angled water and pocket of land is the right call and you've layered it well. I noticed the water isn't quite symmetrical. I like the shape, but the emptiness of the smooth part of the plate feels like it is missing something. Was there a reason you didn't use the same wedge plate as on the other side?

2) Excellent shaping with the palm tree. It brings a perfect pop of color. If you wanted to continue the the diagonal visual (started by the palm tree), make the 3-point leaves the same green shade as the palm tree. Your eye already catches the angle of the leaves and this will bring attention across the build. If you had a red parrot, putting that on the palm would also bring the eye back up that diagonal line, highlighting the red carriage for the cannon.

3) As for the wall, you've done a great job representing the original single (and stickered) wall. The clips on the inside to hang weaponry is an excellent upgrade. From the outside, however, it seems to lack the same level of detail. Interspersing stacked plates (instead of bricks) might help, especially if you did a square plate, round plate, square plate sandwich. It would give that iconic weathered look of the original. I've included a pic as an example.

Overall, great clean build. Wish you all the best!

IMG_4780.jpeg

I like Your presenation and at first look this set sells pretty well. However, if you starting looking closely there are some things that can't help me thinking this is not a presentation made for a bunch of parts that could be used for something else, and not a actual ready-to-play to. Those walls seem kinda out of place, surface of the sand/fort reminds me of a kitchen floor, and that cannon could get itself some weels or a proper base, instead of just being stuck in there ;) 

Still, it does cool for some reason, as i said. It's simple, cheap and offers some nice parts, so guess plenty of people would grab it anyway ;)  

I do like that you included the brick built cannon instead of the regular one. However, the brick built cannon is a bit smaller so could you shrink the opening a little bit between the walls and maybe put it on a small platform? It seems a bit too small for the opening.