I was just working on a shrinked version of the 5580 Model Team Highway Rig when Jim announced TC25 (thanks for organizing). Since I usually build Creator Expert style cars I decided to concentrate rather on shrinking than on the technical side.

My first idea was to create a smaller version of 8880 using 30.4x14 tires. But I failed to include four-wheel-steering and a working fake engine. So I decided to have a go at 8865. As usual I started with the bodywork to see how many and which functions could be included. I was pleased to see how the angled liftarms were nearly perfect for this model.

It is only my second ever pure Technic moc and my first for 6 or 7 years. I really struggled hard but finally managed to squeeze a working fake V6 fake engine, steering and rear suspension into the tiny model. Since I do not like rubber band or spring solution for suspension I had to find some place for the 6.5 shock absorbers.

The front still needs to be done. Also I have to see if HOG steering or a working steering wheel (or possibly both) fit. A working headlight mechanism or adjustable seats and reducing the engine from V6 to V4 are on the to-do-list, too.

Shrinking factor is roughly about 2.7. So my model is significantly smaller than Appie's glorious 8865 redux from 2017.

53014166341_84796fca93_c.jpg

The looks are perfect. The angles match so well with the original, great work!

*troll-mode-on* No way to sneak in a 4 speed gearbox?

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

The looks are perfect. The angles match so well with the original, great work!

*troll-mode-on* No way to sneak in a 4 speed gearbox?

Thanks. Sorry, no chance for a 4 speed gearbox. I am over the moon to fit suspension and fake engine into the model. So call me a Technic newbie. :wink:

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Great work so far! You nailed the look almost perfectly. Headlight mechanism and maybe a working steering wheel would be a cool addition. 

Thanks. I see what I can do but it is very tight. That is where the fun starts.

2 hours ago, Celeri said:

Cute and faithfull to the original: very good work!

Thanks. Looking at some other shrinked models it seems to be just like it is with animal and human babies: the smaller, the cuter. :laugh:

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

Really good choice and good work so far. I would try to put slightly bigger tires on it if possible, the original had its wheels a bit dominating the looks feeling as the wheels were oversized: http://www.technicopedia.com/8865/8865side.JPG

Thanks. You are right: the tires are just a fraction too small: the height/tire diameter ratio is 2.14 and should be just 2.05. But maybe there is more to the perfect wheel size than just maths and numbers. I will try different tires and see how it looks.

This is one of the two big sets I had as a kid (the other was 8868) and your version is instantly recognizable despite the huge reduction in size! I fear it might even be a bit too big reduction, no way to fit in most of the functions.

Wow, you nailed the looks so well with this one! I used to love this set as well :) It's a pity though that most of the interesting mechanisms of the original needs to go away at this scale (I was fascinated about its suspension at the time).

This weekend I was able to make some progress. The functions now include:

- steering operated by steering wheel

- rear suspension using 6.5 soft shock absorbers

- working V4 fake engine including 32072 as four blade rotor

- foldable headlights operated via a 12 teeth gear on the right side

- adjustable seats (unfortunately no mechanism due to lacking space but only sliding both seats simultaneously by one stud)

The front bumper has been added as well as yellow cones at the rear for cosmetic reasons. I will have another try to make at least the seats moveable back and forth independently. The construcion of the rear axle should be improved though the model is quite sturdy and everything runs smoothly.

EB TC25 8865 Test Car 1EB TC25 8865 Test Car 2

This looks great. It's even smaller than mine and it has alot of features. Great use of the angled liftarms as well (why didn't I think of that :blush:)

Those 6.5 shocks you managed to hide very well behind the exhausts. I agree with the others in making the headlights white instead of transparent, it's more like the original.

Thanks @Frequenzberater and @amorti. I was not sure but your are right about the headlights. Also thanks to @Appie for your words. The angled liftarms really do work pretty well here. I am not sure if your model would benefit from them because of the different scale. It is still incredibly good without them.

I declare my model finished and you can find free instructions here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-153539/brickphisto/mini-8865-test-car/

I cannot post pictures of the finished physical model and thus there is no entry post yet as I am still waiting for some parts to arrive. Two of them are 1x7 flip flop beams from 42154. Ironically I do have a bunch of the "original" ones produced by CaDA but I ordered 42154 to comply with the rules. But I guess any reason for getting 42154 is a good one. ;-)

Really nice MOC!

Unfortunately can't I find it on Rebrickable :cry_sad:

I was really looking forward to build it.

Thanks! I decided to no longer use Rebrickable to share my instructions. You can find the reason for that in the Mini 5580 thread. But still I would like to share instructions for my models for free. So now you can find instructions on Bricklink. I will update the link above as soon as the Bricklink team check the file.

Thanks!

I will look very nice next to the original on my shelf  :classic:

I'd be very interested in the instructions as well. Especially since this mini 8865 still retains so much functionality of the original

On 1/23/2024 at 5:24 PM, Lahnn said:

Thanks!

I will look very nice next to the original on my shelf  :classic:

Did you manage to get instructions? I can't find these so far, and brickphisto so far hasn't responded to the message I sent him on this forum