Mister Phes

[CONTEST] Return of the Classic Pirates - WIN a 10320 Eldorado Fortress

Return-of-the-Classic-Pirates-Contest-Featured3.jpg

ENTRIES CLOSED!

Who will WIN?

VOTE NOW!

divider.png

The Classic Pirates are back with a brand new contest giving YOU a chance to win a 10320 Eldorado Fortress set kindly provided by the LEGO Group.

The Main Building Category now offers the chance to WIN a second place prize to value of 70 and third place prize to the value of 30.

To enter, either  design a new Classic-Style set or remake an existing Classic set or both!

divider.png

Prizes

Return-of-the-Classic-Pirates-Contest-Main_Building_Category-Prizes.jpg

• First place winner will receive 10320 Eldorado Fortress (or prize pool of equivalent value)
  • Second place winner will receive a set of their choice to the value of 70€
  • Third place winner will receive a set of their choice  to the value of 35€

Sets selected as prizes must be available on your regional LEGO.com.

divider.png

Timeline

• Now - June 27 - Ask Your Questions
  • June 28 - August 26 - Submit Your Entries
  • August 27 - September 16 - Voting + Critic Closing Thoughts
  • September 23 - Winners Announced

divider.png

Main Building Category

1. Design a new Classic-Style set
Imagine you're a designer working for the LEGO Group and you've been tasked with designing a brand new classic-style LEGO Pirate set.

The emphasis is building a creation that could pass as an official LEGO set.  The design could be pure classic 1989-1997 style or modern like Barracuda Bay.

But remember!  Official LEGO sets have a more limited part count than MOCs and the onus is to convince everyone your creation is an official set.

Existing Examples

Click here to view image on InstagramClick here to see more photosClick here to view image on InstagramClick here for more images

Click here to view image on InstagramClick here to view more imageslego-pirates-imperial-bay-marcin-mrowiński.jpgClick to view Instagram post

More Examples of MOCs like Classic LEGO Pirate Sets

2. Remake an existing Classic set
Which classic LEGO Pirate set should the LEGO Group remake next?  You show them how it's done!

The objective is not create a full blown MOC based on an existing set, rather "update or modernise an existing LEGO Pirate set" in the same way 10320 Eldorado Fortress and Black Seas Barracuda from 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay have been officially updated by the LEGO Group.

The creation can be any existing LEGO Pirate set except for 6276 Eldorado Fortress and the 6285/10040 Black Seas Barracuda because they've been remade (but feel free to appeal that in this topic).

Due to popular demand 6276 Eldorado Fortress and the 6285/10040 Black Seas Barracuda are now accepted!

Existing Examples

Click here for more imagesClick for more imagesClick here for more imagesClick for more images

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Click for more imagesClick for more imagesClick for more imagesClick for more images

More Examples of Pirate Set Remakes

Don't have time to build a larger entry?

Try entering the Mini Set Building Category where the aim is to build a small set containing less than 50 pieces.

Click here for more details...

divider.png

How to Vote

Click the VOTE NOW button to be taken to the Voting page.

VOTE NOW!

divider.png

How to Enter
You will need a Eurobricks account to enter this contest.

First build a MOC meeting the criteria of the briefing.

Create a topic in the Pirate MOC Forum using the prefix "[ENTRY]" AND the name of your creation in the Topic Title.

For example:
"[ENTRY] 6281 Pirates Perilous Pitfall Remake"

Inside that topic post as many images and supporting information as possible.

Be sure to check back regularly and reply to anyone who posts in your topic.

Remember, the more activity your entry topic(s) receive, the longer your topic(s) will stay at the top of the forum!

divider.png

Frequently Asked Questions

Do my entries have be pirate themed?
Yes.  Therefore, no Castle, Vikings, Adventurers, steampunk, etc. entries or posts, or even cross-overs.  Must be Pirates.

What does "Classic-Style" mean?

It implies a design heavily inspired by official LEGO Pirate sets, released 1989-1997, 2009-10, 2015 or 2022 Barracuda Bay.

Therefore, 4+ Pirates, Duplo Pirates and licensed themes are excluded, so no entries based on Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan, etc.

This extends to figures from Fabuland, Friends, Bionicle, Galidor, etc.

Do I need a Eurobricks account?
Yes,  you may register an account here.

Can I Get Disqualified?
Yes.  You'll be removed from the contest if:

• Your entries or posts are off-topic or considered to be spam
  • The images you share are low resolution or your entry cannot be clearly seen.
    We're not expecting professional photography, but you will need to put some effort into the presentation.
  • You demonstrate negative or disruptive behaviour.
  • You cheat or attempt to artificially inflate votes.  I.e. create fake accounts.
  • Repeatedly post in the wrong topic.
    For example: ask questions in a registration topic instead of this topic.

Upon breach of conduct you'll be given a warning but after three strikes, you're out!

Unless you do something exceptionally bad and then we'll keel haul disqualify yer on the spot!

How do I post images in the LEGO Pirates Forum/Eurobricks?
As part of Eurobricks' advanced anti spam/anti fraud protection system you require a minimum of 10 posts to upload images to Eurobricks.

If you account is brand new, to gain your first 10 posts you may:

1. Practice posting in this topic.
  2. Introduce yourself in the Hello... my name is forum
  3. Respond to the existing topics in the LEGO Pirates and Pirate MOC forum

Alternatively, you can host your images externally and link to them in your topics.

Popular image hosting platforms among AFOL builders include:

Can I update my entry after it's been posted?
Yes. In fact, you may wish to action feedback provided by those posting in your entry topic.

The more you can improve the design, the more chance you have of winning!

Can I share my entries on social media?
Yes. The more people you can attract to your entry, the more votes you're likely to get.

Be sure to tag @ClassicPirates and use the #ClassicPiratesReturn hashtag for easy identification of your entries.

But remember, votes only count if they're submitted in the entry topic in the LEGO Pirates Forum.

Also, be sure not to violate the spam policy or code of conduct of any social platform you share your links.

Can I build digitally?
Yes. Your entries can be designed in CAD software like Bricklink Studio or physically built using real LEGO.

Just ensure your renders are well presented with clear, high resolution images.

Can I make my own custom elements like sails, flags, torso designs, etc.?
Yes.

Can I  use non-authentic LEGO components?
Since the contest prize is provided by the LEGO Group ye best avoid that!

Can I submit multiple entries?
Yes. But you'll need to create a separate topic for each of them.

Can I create entries for both Design a Classic-Style Pirate Set and Remake a Pirate Set?
Yes. Again, you'll need to create a separate topic for each of them.

Can I enter creations I've already built?
No. Your entries must be built after 28 June, 2023.

Can I submit a minifgure or parts pack?
No. The emphasis is on building a new design.

Can I submit a micro build?
No. Classic Pirate sets are minifigure scale.

How will the winners be determined?
A poll for each Building Category will be held. Please review the Voting Rules.

Terms & Conditions

Prize Availability
The sets selected as prizes must be available in each winner's home LEGO.com.

For example: If winner #1 is located in the US then their prize has to be available on lego.com/en-us, if winner #2 is German their prize has to be available on lego.com/en-de, winner #3 is Australian their prize has to be available on lego.com/en-au, and so on.

The winner will receive a 10320 or prize pool of equivalent value of their choosing, subject to availability as determined by the LEGO Group during September 2023.

Permissions
By participating or viewing, as an entrant, critic, commentator or observer, you hereby:

• Agree to these Terms & Conditions
  • Agree to the Classic Pirates Terms of Use
  • Grant Eurobricks and Classic Pirates permission to share your images, textual contributions and other media via our various websites and social media accounts.

The Classic Pirates crew and Eurobricks staff reserve the right to:

• Revise the contest or these terms and conditions at any time. 
  • Remove a participant from the contest or completely ban a member from the forum or related social media profiles. 
  • Make final decisions on any aspect of the contest without notice.

divider.png

Ask Your Questions:

Do you require further clarification? Did we miss something important? Do you have feedback to provide?

Please create a new post in this topic clearing detailing your question or feedback...

Return to Volcano Island.jpg

image.png

Also, I need to mention that I'll be away from June 28 to July 27.

You may start posting your entries LEGO Pirates MOC Forum from June 28 onward but if you require a prompt reply to your question(s), you'll need to ask them prior to that date.

1 hour ago, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

Ooooh I can’t wait!

You have the necessary experience to do well in a contest such as this! :pir-huzzah2:

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

You have the necessary experience to do well in a contest such as this! :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks for yer kind words matey! I plan to make a strong entry, but I’m sure there will be others. It’ll be fun seeing all the cool designs!!!

Can there be 3 categories? Small, medium and large builds. I'd personally LOVE to see some small, clever builds, but I can imagine they would stand no chance with something that has +3000 pieces. I don't want this competition to end up being 'go big or go home'.

28 minutes ago, zinnn said:

Can there be 3 categories? Small, medium and large builds.

Currently there is only one prize so that makes categorising by size redundant...

I'd personally LOVE to see some small, clever builds, but I can imagine they would stand no chance with something that has +3000 pieces. I don't want this competition to end up being 'go big or go home'.

But you do make a good point - your suggestion is worth considering should more prizes become available...

51 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

Oh, I love remaking old sets! And I also love making boats in the style of old sets! I guess I should get thinking and building!

Excellent - you are one of the all-time great ship builders!

4 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Currently there is only one prize so that makes categorising by size redundant...

But you do make a good point - your suggestion is worth considering should more prizes become available... 

Thank you, appreciate this being taken into consideration. I have a soft spot for smaller Pirates builds and I hope we get to see some cool small & medium-sized projects!

Excellent - you are one of the all-time great ship builders!

Thank you! That means a lot to me. Ironically, I'm already planning a build, but it's not a ship!

EKnight

I've never been a good builder and never won any contest my whole life so good luck to those who participate, looking forward to seeing some smaller builds as well I wish TLG would bring them back for us Pirate fans! :pir-huzzah2:

Question: If hypothetically I built something that would fit the criteria of an contest entry earlier, but never published it, or showed it to anyone, would such build be accepted as an entry?

10 hours ago, zinnn said:

Thank you, appreciate this being taken into consideration. I have a soft spot for smaller Pirates builds and I hope we get to see some cool small & medium-sized projects!

So do I...  We might be up to rustle up a small  prize for a small entry division.

But first we need open an opportunity for those who are not in a position to build...

9 hours ago, _R_R_ said:

I've never been a good builder and never won any contest my whole life so good luck to those who participate, looking forward to seeing some smaller builds as well I wish TLG would bring them back for us Pirate fans! :pir-huzzah2:

That's a great attitude! There might be other ways you can participate... and win a prize... stay tuned...  :pir-wink:

5 hours ago, Eggyslav said:

Question: If hypothetically I built something that would fit the criteria of an contest entry earlier, but never published it, or showed it to anyone, would such build be accepted as an entry?

Would that be fair to those who spend the time building an entirely new creation for this content?

The FAQ states:

No. Your entries must be built after June 28.

6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Would that be fair to those who spend the time building an entirely new creation for this content?

The FAQ states:

No. Your entries must be built after June 28.

These are all good arguments, and I don't intend to question the rules of the contest, but if you could humour me, there really is no advantage in it. You only get to post it earlier, but still within the allocated time limit. There is no guarranty that a build made before the start of the contest, but posted along other entries, would collect more votes than a model made after. Besides, You could never tell if the build was made before June 28, if you have never seen it. It's like the classic Koan, if the tree fell down in the forest, but no one heard it fall, did it really fell? What I mean is, there's no difference if I build my entry after 28th of June, and building it before, and still publishing it after 28th. I still want to publish it when all other entries are, not earlier. This is why I propose, for clarity sake, to change the rule in question to:

Yes, but one you have never shown to anyone, published in any way, etc. You also have to post it, like everyone else, AFTER June 28th.

Or:

No, even if it was never shown to anybody or published. Even if you post it after June 28th, such entry will be disqualified.

Whichever you prefer. Tho in my humble opinion, there could be no way to discern, which entry was made when, if they were entered in the same window of time. Alternatively, if you really think it's unfair, you could set a handicap for those who intend to post their earlier creation, like, they have to post their entries, not like anyone else, after 28th of June, but like a week or two later.

Edited by Eggyslav

29 minutes ago, Eggyslav said:

There is no guarranty that a build made before the start of the contest, but posted along other entries, would collect more votes than a model made after. Besides, You could never tell if the build was made before June 28

That is a fair point as it does rely upon the honesty and integrity of participants as to when their entry was actually created.

29 minutes ago, Eggyslav said:

You only get to post it earlier, but still within the allocated time limit.

The reason is everyone has the same amount of time to build something for the contest.

Nonetheless, I'm open to further opinions on this matter, so if anyone else cares to share their thoughts on this matter, please do so...

But later this week there will be an announcement that turns this suggestion on its head.

I may do an updated clipper to enter the competition with. I'm going to design it digitally pretty soon. If I can purchase all the bricks and pieces I need before the closing date I'll enter the comp. However, I'd  imagine renders can't be entered, only physical models, so if I can't buy the bricks by then I won't enter. If I cant enter I will post pics of the renders in the MOC forum instead for fun. And when I end up building final model out of bricks I'll post that too.

Edit: of renders aren't permitted, can I enter with an out of completion entry, disqualified from obataing the prize? It would be fun to enter the comp anyway and take part in the fun.

Edited by Pirate_King_1982

18 minutes ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

However, I'd  imagine renders can't be entered, only physical models,  [...] Edit: of renders aren't permitted, can I enter with an out of completion entry, disqualified from obataing the prize? It would be fun to enter the comp anyway and take part in the fun.

Did you read the Frequently Asked Questions in the first post of this topic?

Did you read the Frequently Asked Questions in the first post of this topic?

Looks like I can enter digital renders. Obviously I missed that the first time reading the first post.

The creation can be any existing LEGO Pirate set except for 6276 Eldorado Fortress and the 6285/10040 Black Seas Barracuda because they've been remade (but feel free to appeal that in this topic).

Can I then appeal this? I wanted to try to do my own take on an Eldorado Fortress remake.

The official set has grown on me since, but my first impressions were that it was almost too similar to the Original, not changed or modernised enough, kinda plain for a 2023 set and dare I say kinda small for the price ( also the shakos should've been printed but as I'm thinking of a digital entry I might not be able to fix that one). 

So my idea was to try and make the set I was hoping it would be (though I might make even bigger than I'd anticipated the official set to be, just to add some more detail and try to make it almost a pirates equivalent of the lions knights castle).

But then I saw this line when re-reading the small print so I thought I'd give my appeal.

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

That is a fair point as it does rely upon the honesty and integrity of participants as to when their entry was actually created.

The reason is everyone has the same amount of time to build something for the contest.

Nonetheless, I'm open to further opinions on this matter, so if anyone else cares to share their thoughts on this matter, please do so...

But later this week there will be an announcement that turns this suggestion on its head.

But what if a creation is only partially built? What if somehow had started a MOC, Found out it would fit perfectly in one of the categories, and finished the majority of the MOC during the posted limit?

EKnight

3 hours ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

Looks like I can enter digital renders. Obviously I missed that the first time reading the first post.

Actually, it inspired me to use the word "render" in the FAQ.  So thanks for the inspiration! :pir-thumb:

17 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

an I then appeal this? I wanted to try to do my own take on an Eldorado Fortress remake.

You most certainly can!  And with enough appeals that rule can be omitted altogether

But who else will support this appeal?

15 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

But what if a creation is only partially built? What if somehow had started a MOC, Found out it would fit perfectly in one of the categories, and finished the majority of the MOC during the posted limit?

The rule was intended to provide all participants with an equal amount of time, and therefore the entries should not exist in any form or state of completion prior to June 28.

14 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

That's a great attitude! There might be other ways you can participate... and win a prize... stay tuned...  :pir-wink:

I had an idea for a remake of Castway's Raft but my ability to accurately replicate what I imagine  is very poor lol I still might give it a go just for fun. Definitely curious to hear about these other ways too! :pir-thumb:

22 hours ago, _R_R_ said:

had an idea for a remake of Castway's Raft but my ability to accurately replicate what I imagine  is very poor lol I still might give it a go just for fun.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :pir-triumph:

5 minutes ago, elfprince13 said:

Quick question for @Mister Phes - are team builds allowed?

If the team wins, how gets the prize?

22 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :pir-triumph:

If the team wins, how gets the prize?

When my company has hosted contests before, we use the rule that the prize is delivered to the account that made the submission (but they need to give credit to team-mates) and it's up to the team to handle "splitting it up" internally.