Sign in to follow this  
T-86(swe)

GoH 10A: “The house of proclamation” [Life in Cedrica]

This is my modest entry for the GoH 10A-competition - “Life in Cedrica”.

It was interesting to build on a time-limit for the first time. A very stressful one due to minimum time to spare but thanks to the extended deadline I finished it. I wanted to use different colours than from previous builds, but I was limited to the ones I actually own enough pieces of. It was fun yet challenging for me to do interiors which I have not done a lot. They are what they are even if Im not satisfied with the final result. I wanted to depict some kind of fun smaller theme in the scenes in the build. I went for ‘hunted rats and rogues’ for what the figs are up to. I also incorporated my sigfig’s storyline to the build!

The tale of Erdil [Chapter 1, part 3]
Erdil travels to Cedrica to demonstrate official allegiance to Queen Ylspeth and to be acknowledged by royal decree as a swordsman in the service of the duke of Dandelume. He is accompanied by his comrades Dweldin (bowman), Boroghan (scout) and Miadin (spearman).

The Queen herself, preoccupied with other more urgent business of the realm and foreign emissaries, confide the affirmation of new recruits to the Cedrican administrative partition.

Many of these administrative offices are located in houses down by the port of the capital. Along the port and the many small canals several houses of power share the wharf with other more dubious enterprises. A system of narrow alleyways and houses cramped together create a lively place during all hours. Rats and rogues lurk about to find scraps of all sorts. The city guard patrol the area to ensure law and order among citizens of Cedrica and the many travellers visiting the capital.

Erdil and his small entourage visit the house of proclamation, located down by the waterfront, to receive their official letters of affirmation.

52781097517_ed4f621d70_z.jpg           52781089437_e4edd89508_z.jpg

52781632431_7e87a5b482_z.jpg                         52781089507_fe2e4faae6_z.jpg

52782039940_746275f505_z.jpg        52781878204_1714abdc5a_z.jpg

52781089487_9f013761d8_z.jpg   52782039895_e63f68d5eb.jpg

More pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAxUy6

House-descriptions:
Cedrica general storage house

First floor: Small nautical storage

Second floor: Port guard’s storage

Third floor: Homing pigeon service for royal port business.

House of proclamation

First floor: Entry hall for stating business of visit.

Second floor: Master of decree’s office.

Third floor: Office for the master of avalonian accounts.

Edited by T-86(swe)

I like the muted color tones of this, that olive bush in the middle is great, so are the details like the pigeon house, the crane, and the uneven floor of the storage room!

40 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

I like the muted color tones of this, that olive bush in the middle is great, so are the details like the pigeon house, the crane, and the uneven floor of the storage room!

Thanks Kai, Im extra happy that you found something you liked with the interiors. Im not that satisfied with them like I mentioned in the thread start! 

There's a lot of really great things going on here, even if you are not excited about some of your interiors. I think there are always things we wish we could have done better, especially on a time deadline. I love the armory. The lighting is good, and it looks very life-like.  You did a good job making the interiors detailed but not cluttered, something difficult to do in my opinion. Love the uneven tile floor in the basement.  The olive bush and vine are outstanding mixes of the various olive flora pieces, and look very organic.  The idea of the pigeon coop on the roof is great, and you executed it well.  The wave in the water in the canal is subtle, but looks really good.  I personally like your color choices, though I understand artistically it might be nice to use sand blue in one building or something. As a stand-alone, two different height buildings could use negative space, although if this is part of a larger city it's perfectly fine. I really like the sand green roof, and how you draw the eye from building to building with the line of 1x2 tiles strung between.  Really nice work!

4 hours ago, Grover said:

There's a lot of really great things going on here, even if you are not excited about some of your interiors. I think there are always things we wish we could have done better, especially on a time deadline. I love the armory. The lighting is good, and it looks very life-like.  You did a good job making the interiors detailed but not cluttered, something difficult to do in my opinion. Love the uneven tile floor in the basement.  The olive bush and vine are outstanding mixes of the various olive flora pieces, and look very organic.  The idea of the pigeon coop on the roof is great, and you executed it well.  The wave in the water in the canal is subtle, but looks really good.  I personally like your color choices, though I understand artistically it might be nice to use sand blue in one building or something. As a stand-alone, two different height buildings could use negative space, although if this is part of a larger city it's perfectly fine. I really like the sand green roof, and how you draw the eye from building to building with the line of 1x2 tiles strung between.  Really nice work!

Totally agree on the sand blue suggestion! Also nice to hear you found positive details in the interiors. Thanks for the overall feedback.

Wonderful moc! The (reduced) color palette really makes the pink flowers pop. There are many great details one can discover. Like the dovecote on the roof, the cozy balconies, the door and window frames, the interior and the minifigs.

8 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Wonderful moc! The (reduced) color palette really makes the pink flowers pop. There are many great details one can discover. Like the dovecote on the roof, the cozy balconies, the door and window frames, the interior and the minifigs.

Thanks for the kind feedback Yperio! 

Great buildings! I like the one on the left especially - each door and doorway is decorated very nicely.  The vines on the back are terrific, as is that upper window.

13 hours ago, jtooker said:

Great buildings! I like the one on the left especially - each door and doorway is decorated very nicely.  The vines on the back are terrific, as is that upper window.

Thanks! Glad you mentioned the upper window, im quite pleased with how it ended up!

Well done! I like how each building has it's own style buy they still feel like they belong together in the same city. Also that banner technique with the minifigure hands is great! 

On 4/8/2023 at 1:17 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

Well done! I like how each building has it's own style buy they still feel like they belong together in the same city. Also that banner technique with the minifigure hands is great! 

Yes the tile-hand-string combo is great and an easy way to bind buildings together to create a more vivid look to the build! Thanks for the kind words Umbra!

The toned down colors work well here pairing reddish brown with the different shades of tan and olive green foliage.

Good detail work around the different doorways and the dovecote makes a perfect roof top detail :thumbup:

On 4/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, soccerkid6 said:

The toned down colors work well here pairing reddish brown with the different shades of tan and olive green foliage.

Good detail work around the different doorways and the dovecote makes a perfect roof top detail :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback Isaac, I appreciate it a lot!

Nice one! You are showing that you don't need tall buildings to have a lot of activity. I like all the different styles of woodwork on the doors and windows. The interiors are small, but filled with neat details like the tan ingot floor and the candleholder on the wall.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:06 PM, Ecclesiastes said:

Nice one! You are showing that you don't need tall buildings to have a lot of activity. I like all the different styles of woodwork on the doors and windows. The interiors are small, but filled with neat details like the tan ingot floor and the candleholder on the wall.

Thanks dude!