BrickJagger

Lego Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square Discussion Thread

In the just2good video, the designer said "they" didn't want to include the cow because it's in the castle. So I'm guessing nothing else is coming in that regard. It is what it is. If it would have been the same cow anyway, I guess it doesn't matter. I was just hoping for more new stuff.

There's a bat lord/dragon sign on the back of the tree. I wonder if that's a clue that a Fright Knights set is eminent.

26 minutes ago, jodawill said:

In the just2good video, the designer said "they" didn't want to include the cow because it's in the castle. So I'm guessing nothing else is coming in that regard. It is what it is. If it would have been the same cow anyway, I guess it doesn't matter. I was just hoping for more new stuff.

There's a bat lord/dragon sign on the back of the tree. I wonder if that's a clue that a Fright Knights set is eminent.

There was multiple sticker call backs to more than just the dragon. Who knows what they have planned next but it will probably depend on how well these medieval sets continue to sell. I would put my money on a new Jousting set next if they continue with these. It's probably the next most marketable medieval set to a mass audience besides the recent ones they have already done as long as it's designed well. What they have planned next is any ones guess but what seems to be obvious is the Lion Knights castle has sold better than expected so they are continuing to release medieval sets so far. I think this new Medieval Town Square should sell well enough that we will likely see another set in the next year or two. 

Edited by Nicker

43 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I'm actually really surprised we didn't get a white horse here since the parts are already available in white. They just need to make a new print. The horse without the bridle isn't terribly useful to me. Maybe for having a couple in a stable, but that's about it.

It was supposed to be a gray horse and a goat.  They decided to consolidate and give us a gray goat to save money.

I hope we have a nice influx of animals with the next medieval set.

Maybe a pig sty, cattle coral and a horse stable attached to a butcher shop.

1 minute ago, Black Feather said:

It was supposed to be a gray horse and a goat.  They decided to consolidate and give us a gray goat to save money.

Is that it the designer video? If so, I do wonder if Beauxbaton's is getting gray flying horses instead of the prior version in white.  I have no idea what color they are in the movie as they look different depending on the light, but there's versions they are a mottled gray.  It's not medieval but that's the next set I'm excited for because I think the carriage can work with a medieval context and the ship should be really interesting in a pirates, Viking, or new land.

It's so ridiculous; after many years of big profits (especially during the pandemic) Lego isn't willing to put a bunch of animals into the set but they increase the piece count with tons of 1x1 pieces. No wonder the designer is heartbroken. Cows from other manufacturers cost 3$.

Edited by brimbolet

9 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

Is that it the designer video? If so, I do wonder if Beauxbaton's is getting gray flying horses instead of the prior version in white.  I have no idea what color they are in the movie as they look different depending on the light, but there's versions they are a mottled gray.  It's not medieval but that's the next set I'm excited for because I think the carriage can work with a medieval context and the ship should be really interesting in a pirates, Viking, or new land.

I was just joking because MVR included the rare goat and rare gray horse.  So was hoping to get the gray horse too.  Haven’t watched the video yet.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they selected the color for that reason though.

Is anyone familiar with this designer? What else did he make?

Edited by jodawill

9 minutes ago, Black Feather said:

I was just joking because MVR included the rare goat and rare gray horse.  So was hoping to get the gray horse too.  Haven’t watched the video yet.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they selected the color for that reason though.

I want gray too!  I'm getting confident Beauxbaton's is getting gray because the big wings for Buckbeak in a current set are gray (but Buckbeak is white there).  I think I'll hold off on ordering horses from PAB in the hopes for gray in that set.  

I'm honestly excited about the stickers haha. I'm not planning on getting this set any time soon, but I definitely will buy the sticker sheet to include that sick tapestry in my LKC throne room  XD 

16 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah I don't understand the whole we need more animals argument by some people if that really prevents you from buying a set is just weird to me.  PAB and bricklink are great for getting parts and figs and animals.  If I like a set I buy it.  I remember people complaining about the Lion knights castle being to grey.  If I need more of something I just go to pick a brick or bricklink and get what I need for my MOC.

It is not just the animals but the minifigures too. For a Set of this size 10 minifigs really would have been the minimum I would have expected and getting only eight actually is the same number of minifigures we got in the old market village even though the size of this one is bigger. And if we are comparing both of them same goes for the animals. We have three big animals in the old set, two cows and one horse in this we didn´t got one, though I feel like the cow should just be included for two reasons: First of all it was one of the main things in the old village and it would just have been great to add something from the old village to the new one. Secondly, they made a cheese maker in this set and all they have to make cheese from is one goat.

Sure we can buy more cows and goats and sheeps and whatever else from PAB, but as I mentioned above, there is a big difference in the price they are asking there and how much they would have increased the sets price if they were included. And yeah, if you ask me if they would have added maybe two minifigs more, and also more animals as in the prelim this set would sell better even though obviously they would ask more money for it. And in the end we all would benefit from better sales since it is more likely we would get more sets like this in the future.

2 hours ago, jodawill said:

When he was asked if the parts were printed, he said, "Too many stickers, I'd say." I guess the designer feels the same way as the rest of us.

He also said this is the first queen's shield they've made. What makes it a queen's shield? Why did the queen's shield in 10305 not count?

I guess the decoration/design makes it to that. Anyways I would have rather liked to get a Wolfpack shield instead of this one. Sure it would be strange if the shieldpainter would paint their shield, but I would just like to get their shield. The painter could just paint one of the existing ones instead. Or they could have just made a new shield not belonging to the Lion Knights.

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

And the wanted "Jedi Bob" confirmation. :))

Jedi Bob should get a wolfpack print on his cape.

56 minutes ago, dariofol said:

how long until the parts for this new set will be available on pick-a-brick? If they will be made available.

I would guess 5 months but we just can be certain when they actually show up. Anyways they will be gone fast so it will take some time till they will stay available

49 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

The stickered pieces are all very detailed - but I do have to take off points due to how many stickers there are. Also, whenever the designer would talk about how "Mom and Dad left to get a cow," I do feel like something is missing in this final design. Adding in that cow and another minifig or two would help things feel more lively. I'm also still not a fan of the tree - I think a smaller message board and a well would have taken up the same number or pieces and fulfilled a roughly similar role and looked way better.

It seemed to me like he wasn´t very happy with both the Stickers and the missing cow (and very likely also that he couldn´t add more minifigs, hence the missing parents).

And yeah the number of stickers are very sad I hope there are at least some printed pieces for this set. The shield so far is the only one I noticed.

Also, Just2Good's hands-on noted that there is only one new part - the square door on the tapestry section. I thought it might be good to let people be informed about that.

Waste of budget to me. Either it was made for another set and they just used it, or they should have used their budged for something else like more prints or a shield for the wolfpack.

Overall, my attitude has shifted from "neutral" to "like." I think there's too many compromises in the animals and the stickers for me to truly "love" this, so I'm not going to be rushing to get this Day 1. I'm still going to wait for a third party sale and/or a GWP (maybe with the parents and a cow, to bring everything full circle?). 

My guess for a GWP would be a Wolfpack one. Likely based on the wolfpack renegades. I wonder if we could get shields for this one since they don´t need to make new torsos or anything. Still seems unlikely but I guess we can just hope they would do it.

7 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

My guess for a GWP would be a Wolfpack one. Likely based on the wolfpack renegades. I wonder if we could get shields for this one since they don´t need to make new torsos or anything. Still seems unlikely but I guess we can just hope they would do it.

Are there any concrete rumours about a castle GWP this year so far?

8 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

And yeah the number of stickers are very sad I hope there are at least some printed pieces for this set. The shield so far is the only one I noticed.

The chessboard seems to be a print. Is it new?

5 minutes ago, upliftingbricks said:

Are there any concrete rumours about a castle GWP this year so far?

Nothing I heard of so far, but it would surprise me if we wouldn´t see one this year.

5 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

The chessboard seems to be a print. Is it new?

No idea.

48 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Brick Fanatics says that it's Henrik Rubin Saaby - I think that's correct? If so, here's his build list: https://brickset.com/sets/designer-Henrik-Rubin-Saaby/page-1

That's a very interesting list. He goes way back! Scorpion Tracker was the only Adventurers set I had when I was a kid. I loved the crap out of that thing. It's such a classic. He designed a lot of good sets.

That list has a lot of gaps in it. I'm guessing designing sets isn't his full time job. I wonder what else he does at TLG. Maybe he's an element designer?

Edited by jodawill

The tapestry is a reference to these catalog images from 1981/82:
5gqKZvo.png
DRYP1t8.png

And the shield painter has a painting on the wall of one of my childhood sets:
6008-1.jpg\

The lion head logo on the shield is the same as on the 10305 flag:
100731.png

Here's a pretty clear image of the door. It seems promising that they would dedicate a new mold to something that's clearly historical. I wish we could get more dedicated castle molds. This is probably the best door they've made since they retired the shutter hinges.

GNxYDY3.png

13 minutes ago, jodawill said:

That's a very interesting list. He goes way back! Scorpion Tracker was the only Adventurers set I had when I was a kid. I loved the crap out of that thing. It's such a classic. He designed a lot of good sets.

That list has a lot of gaps in it. I'm guessing designing sets isn't his full time job. I wonder what else he does at TLG. Maybe he's an element designer?

In the text he writes he is a Design Manager and Designer

6 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

In the text he writes he is a Design Manager and Designer

My eyes completely glossed over the text. Thanks!

This set really feels like it's missing a guard and some farm animals. That was my first thought upon seeing the pics. "Shouldn't there be more farm animals? And why only one guard? Seems stingy."

Medieval Market Village had two cows and a horse. Mill Village Raid famously had two goats and a pig and a horse. So the paltry single goat here really hurts.

And both those sets had at least two guards. So there are established expectations here.

Then I read this set literally is "missing" those things, because the original pic shows them. So the original design had it right, and then Lego penny pinchers cut them.

Also, stickers, really? I'm not paying multiple hundreds of dollars for stickers.

Edited by danth

Why is this even called a town square, when it looks like a village? 10193 looked like a proper town square despite being called a village.

The way the designer talked about the family of cheese-makers, with the parents out of town buying a new cow, tells me there could be an accompanying GWP with the missing parents and a cow.
Just a thought. 

Out of curiosity, between the BL mountain fortress and the medieval townsquare which do you like best (in absolute terms, and relative i.e. bang for your buck)? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I find the BL set much more aesthetically pleasing, some design choices of the MTS are really rough imo. Also, the juxtaposition of interior spaces don’t make much spontaneous sense to me. Awaiting to see it in the brick but it looks a bit small too, though in scale with LKC in ways the blacksmith and hocus pocus clearly aren’t. Glad the set exists, like the rest of you I was patiently waiting since the survey leaked, but I am not too sure I will in fact pull the trigger on this one (unless, one can dream, it was possible to get a really nice gwp and 2x vip in which case that would be decent enough value for me personally).

Edited by Arjo