Huigberts Builds

Disney Properties 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Ashnflash posted a recent video discussing his interview with the designer of the Royal Clamshell. There were some interesting points:

- The new Little Mermaid set was made with the Adult Strategy in mind (choice of minifig vs minidoll), and there was no such strategy when they made the Frozen castle. (So, finally Lego acknowledges the demand for Disney minifigs!?!?! There is perhaps hope that we will get some more minifig sets in the future, beyond the Disney 100 line.)

- The adult strategy in the future might include minidolls as kids today in 10 years time would have grown up with the minidolls. (Well, they wouldn't have if Lego did not introduce those minidolls... but why does Lego keep thinking that minidolls are a better medium for Disney??? Minifig genocide! LOL)

Edited by hikouki

43 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Ashnflash posted a recent video discussing his interview with the designer of the Royal Clamshell. There were some interesting points:

- The new Little Mermaid set was made with the Adult Strategy in mind (choice of minifig vs minidoll), and there was no such strategy when they made the Frozen castle. (So, finally Lego acknowledges the demand for Disney minifigs!?!?! There is perhaps hope that we will get some more minifig sets in the future, beyond the Disney 100 line.)

- The adult strategy in the future might include minidolls as kids today in 10 years time would have grown up with the minidolls. (Well, they wouldn't have if Lego did not introduce those minidolls... but why does Lego keep thinking that minidolls are a better medium for Disney??? Minifig genocide! LOL)

That's even more interesting/risky when you take into account the adults they are targeting with the set would have grown up and been more nostalgic for the classic animated figures instead of the remake versions. Though it is great to hear Disney acknowledges the adult base that does prefer minifigures.

That being said, my sister ended up finding the Frozen minidolls I have after buying the Ice Palace and was adamant that the minidolls were better than minigifures so there is definitely an appeal with them to not discredit entirely.

2 hours ago, OttoRiver said:

[…] and was adamant that the minidolls were better than minigifures so there is definitely an appeal with them to not discredit entirely.

My girlfriend also prefers minidolls to minifigs aesthetically :classic: So while most adults  (AFOLs specifically) have a soft spot for minifigs, this is far from universal :laugh:

I certainly wouldn‘t dismiss minidolls as not „worthy“ of an 18+ set. As Bessa points out, they will be nostalgic to future adults too at some point!

The first trailer for Wish has been released and it looks really good. I can see Disney going to put all the efforts in that movie for the 100 anniversary, and I hope Lego makes minifigures set of the movie too. 

Hi everybody. First post here :-)  I'm not been very enthusiastic about Lego since Elves sets, but I have two little girls and we have been collecting Disney since... I guess my girl's first birthday :-D They collect the story books and love the Peter and Wendy and Little Mermaid book although I found them a little lazy, really.... But at least we got some villains, that's good. 

We are also in the minidolls side, sorry :-P and for a long time I'm soooo really excited about the Enchanted Treehouse (43215). It looks like Elves.... roughly... and it has A LOT of minidolls. That's amazing!! And now I´m obsessed looking for leaks and info for the next sets :-P

Just a question... Do you think there will be a better week to buy the set? I mean, a week when Lego gifts something Disney theme with purchases like Star Wars Days. I want the set for Christmas so I have no hurry but I always end buying on first day just in case :-D But it would be nice to have a 100 Celebration week or something, right?

On the other side, I really want an Alice's Tea Party set... my mother collects Alice's books so it would be amazing... any chance?

6 minutes ago, akaseim said:

Hi everybody. First post here :-)  I'm not been very enthusiastic about Lego since Elves sets, but I have two little girls and we have been collecting Disney since... I guess my girl's first birthday :-D They collect the story books and love the Peter and Wendy and Little Mermaid book although I found them a little lazy, really.... But at least we got some villains, that's good. 

We are also in the minidolls side, sorry :-P and for a long time I'm soooo really excited about the Enchanted Treehouse (43215). It looks like Elves.... roughly... and it has A LOT of minidolls. That's amazing!! And now I´m obsessed looking for leaks and info for the next sets :-P

Just a question... Do you think there will be a better week to buy the set? I mean, a week when Lego gifts something Disney theme with purchases like Star Wars Days. I want the set for Christmas so I have no hurry but I always end buying on first day just in case :-D But it would be nice to have a 100 Celebration week or something, right?

On the other side, I really want an Alice's Tea Party set... my mother collects Alice's books so it would be amazing... any chance?

Welcome! My opinion would be to wait until the larger Disney sets release this summer (castle etc.) as I believe there’s a a strong rumor that there is indeed a Disney GWP that will be offered.

also, I don’t foresee that minidoll castle set being too terribly hard to find as I’m still not sure how well it will sell since it’s not too “Disney” besides the minidolls (may even find it on sale). Personally, I’d wait until at least the summer to see if the Disney GWP is true. At a minimum I’d wait to order until there’s some type of promo on VIP points so you can get the most out of your money

1 minute ago, DisneyLego said:

Welcome! My opinion would be to wait until the larger Disney sets release this summer (castle etc.) as I believe there’s a a strong rumor that there is indeed a Disney GWP that will be offered.

also, I don’t foresee that minidoll castle set being too terribly hard to find as I’m still not sure how well it will sell since it’s not too “Disney” besides the minidolls (may even find it on sale). Personally, I’d wait until at least the summer to see if the Disney GWP is true. At a minimum I’d wait to order until there’s some type of promo on VIP points so you can get the most out of your money

I hope they reveal the Castle soon... although I don't want it (for now :-P) I'm now avid for new info and pics... I missed my obsessed collector side :-D hahahaha

1 hour ago, Aramar said:

The first trailer for Wish has been released and it looks really good. I can see Disney going to put all the efforts in that movie for the 100 anniversary, and I hope Lego makes minifigures set of the movie too. 

I'm not sure if the StoryBooks are good sellers... But there is a 19,99€ set for October (ref. 43223) that I think it would be an StoryBook for Wish.... although it has more pieces than average: 154 versus 100-130 pieces. I prefer sets but my daughters will add this to the wish list for sure.

There is also another Princess set for October that could fit (ref. 43231) for 49,99€... but I guess any Wish set will probably be minidoll. I just hope it won't be a castle but with 509 pieces it won't be a forest or something like that...

Edited by akaseim

Wish does look like a Disney movie worth of watching unlike all the other garbage they have for 2023. Loved the trailer and the animation is interesting

I love that King Magnifico is a straight up villain. He gives me human Scar vibes. Although, Im kind of tired of them always using either green or purple glow for the villains. 

Cant wait to see what TLG has in the works for this film 

If wish does get sets, I hope that the goat is included, he looks fun, probably would be a new mold or something

4 hours ago, Lemerbrix said:

If wish does get sets, I hope that the goat is included, he looks fun, probably would be a new mold or something

57 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

And that would be another goat that is not THE goat

So far, it seems that Lego has been shying away from making bespoke moulds for Disney animals- Fantasia hippo, simba, Dumbo etc.

Not impossible- like in the case of Eeyore.

On 4/25/2023 at 6:58 PM, JeanGreyForever said:

If you wouldn't mind, I'm sure some of us would love to see pics of the MOC back half connected to the official set once you receive and build it!

The UP house MOD with modular base and back half is done!

52853690460_93fb96e91f_z.jpg

You can view more pictures in it's own topic... I don't want to clog up this one.

Edited by Murdoch17

15 hours ago, hikouki said:

So far, it seems that Lego has been shying away from making bespoke moulds for Disney animals- Fantasia hippo, simba, Dumbo etc.

Ugh now you mentioned “Simba”. I’m still waiting for the Lion King molds…

7 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

You can view more pictures in it's own topic... I don't want to clog up this one.

Thank you for posting, it looks wonderful!

On 4/28/2023 at 12:51 AM, hikouki said:

Not sure how any of those are relevant as no sets have been made that would need those animals.

there’s plenty of unique Disney animal molds in the minidoll line: Heihei, Pua, Sebastian, Flounder, Rajah, Gusgus, Pascal, the 3 different monkey things from Raya to name a few…

If we get Wish sets I’m pretty sure it’ll come with a new mold for Valentino the goat - but it won’t be the goat return everyone’s waited for (although I’m predicting the YouTuber clickbait titles now “LEGO goats are back”)

On 4/28/2023 at 2:51 AM, hikouki said:

For Toy Story sets they did Lotso, Hamm, Bullseye, Rex and Forky. I think they will do new moulds if needed.

2 hours ago, PotterBlocks said:

Not sure how any of those are relevant as no sets have been made that would need those animals.

That's kinda thier point, as in that that's why none of the animal centric movies have sets.

9 hours ago, PotterBlocks said:

there’s plenty of unique Disney animal molds in the minidoll line: Heihei, Pua, Sebastian, Flounder, Rajah, Gusgus, Pascal, the 3 different monkey things from Raya to name a few…

If we get Wish sets I’m pretty sure it’ll come with a new mold for Valentino the goat - but it won’t be the goat return everyone’s waited for (although I’m predicting the YouTuber clickbait titles now “LEGO goats are back”)

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

That's kinda thier point, as in that that's why none of the animal centric movies have sets.

Lion king is rumored to get a buildable at some point.

I would prefer minifig sets.

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I mean, if every character on a movie would require a new mould, why even bother?

Like, take the Lion King. If everyone there were a specialiced piece, why would you get them as a lego set rather than a regular (and much cheaper) figure? It's not as if those could be reutilizable pieces either.

6 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I mean, if every character on a movie would require a new mould, why even bother?

Like, take the Lion King. If everyone there were a specialiced piece, why would you get them as a lego set rather than a regular (and much cheaper) figure? It's not as if those could be reutilizable pieces either.

Really depends on how Lego feels about Disney sets. Many LOTR headpieces, bigfigs, etc. were one-offs. I’m sure there were several others themes…

Edited by hikouki

On 4/29/2023 at 12:24 AM, Murdoch17 said:

That's looking fantastic, good work

Better pics have been shared of the duos and villains sets. Loving some of the features of the villains set! Looking forward to the build

Edited by DisneyLego

The Villains set does look interesting.  The Duos, not so much.  Like the two creator sets that leaked too.