Sign in to follow this  
Ross Fisher

Lurker's Bay

On 1/22/2023 at 1:40 AM, Ross Fisher said:

We've let that slip for a while now. No-one is in a leadership position who can take responsibility for the ranks anymore :pir-bawling:

Hoping now that @CapOnBOBS is back posting builds that means there is a return of leadership!

On 1/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, TribunM said:

I really like the flair of Oleon with it's binding to the state/ king and its emodiement, e.g. in the rank system. They seem to have an abundance of players.

@TribunM gets it! I have found the dynamics of the absolute monarchy to be really fun in coloring my own contributions. While Oleon has some awesome, creative, and active players today, we are actually the scrapy underdog compared to Corrington and Eslandola. Obviously we are eager to recruit and no start is too small to help the brave blue coats check the red menace. 

The theme of an absolute state (strong central govt) has played well for us to institute a bunch of team internal mechanics that can jumpstart a new player. We have an active military campaign, two trade companies to participate in, and rank and titles of a couple varieties. Lots of places to jump in and start building a story. Of course the other factions offer cheap imitations of all those same things.... just kidding... but not really...

Final thought: I was intimidated starting out two years ago, and realized very quickly that what EVERYONE'S real motivation is to enjoy building together. No matter the faction or story you want to create, the direction you want to go, everyone works together to help you do it.(Oleon is best though)

7 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

We have an active military campaign, two trade companies to participate in, and rank and titles of a couple varieties. Lots of places to jump in and start building a story. 

Let's not forget the religious juggernaut at the heart of everything with a military arm and a fierce hatred of heretics!

18 minutes ago, TribunM said:

There is no easy way into this, is it

I've often thought players should be allowed to just launch a ship, build a revenue stream, maybe get a letter of marque. Test the waters, if you will (pun intended), and only then declare for a specific nation. It would probably be a lot harder to manage that, though. 

Edited by Ross Fisher

I started in BoBS about a year ago after my own fair share of lurking. I have rarely encountered a warmer or more supportive hobby group on the web. The faction's all have their own pm chats, so most of the voluminous support for new players is hidden in those chats but the people here are on the spot with answers for newbies.

As to part count concerns, well I've been making my diminished collection work for me just fine here; 

_IMG_000000_000000

Also, having just been through it, feel free to use my brain as a directory  and PM me with any questions! I don't have all the answers but I know where they are😂

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

This seems an appropriate place to mention an issue we are having in Oleon. @Alexander Duvall. Idk why that isn't proccing. Who still need admittance to Oleon's faction thread.

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

On 1/18/2023 at 3:15 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Definitely as a once active player and current mediocre lurker I can say that there's lots of support behind the scenes.  Which is convenient for jumping back into the game without being lost assuming one can find the time for pirate shenanigans when they aren't building train displays lmao.

What? None of us do that. :innocent:

On 1/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, TribunM said:

First of all: thanks for the replies! There are some ideas in my head for both parties, so I will stay a bit and lurke and see how that comes out.

Late to the reply (yes, I also thought this was a new colony post @Ross Fisher), but I have a few old fart's bits of advice.

1) Build a small house.  Seems a bit silly but if you are thinking of jumping into the pirate era you might as well see if you like building in the style.  A residence is pretty much faction agnostic, so no loss of time.  Gives you an excuse to do some internet snooping of caribbean architecture.  Roofing is going to be your most likely hurdle going forward, so it is good figure out how you will address it early.

2) Accept the fact your first attempt at a ship may be <expletive>.  Hulls require some very specific bricks which you may not have in your collection.  Sails and rigging require at least 50% of the effort to do right and it does not come easily.  Case in point:

My first ship build stretched my collection to its limit at the time (classic space and castle bricks were not helpful) and came out "blech".  It apparently had handkerchiefs for sails, no tumbledown to speak of, and made the cardinal sin of using black for the hull (which is awful for showing detail in pictures).  But you can read down that thread and you'll see the support I got in the comments - this community is very supportive and will try to help you improve.  A lot of us actually just have small collections in a plastic tub, so don't feel you need to invest into a dedicated Lego room in order to play in this world.

3) The tMRCA was/is the heart of BoBS in my opinion.  Having your creation actually accomplish something in a 8 year old persistent game world is a strangely rewarding feeling.  It does have some draw backs though (e.g. like your new ship sinking on its first cruise.  Happened to my brother twice).  The game system rewards "big" builds and churning out as much as possible.  This tends to skew your thinking towards needing to go quick and big to "compete", and that is when you bricks run out and you start making sacrifices of quality.  I fell into that mistake at one point and regretted it later.  So this will make me a hypocrite to state this, but build smaller and worry about the game stats afterwards.  Or even better, grab a piece of paper and write out a story outline and treat your MOCs like movie sets for each scene rather than game pieces.  A big, historically accurate mcguffin is great ofc, but a great tale is far more memorable.

My 2 ill gotten coin

Edited by Kwatchi

On 2/13/2023 at 6:08 PM, Kwatchi said:

Late to the reply (yes, I also thought this was a new colony post @Ross Fisher), but I have a few old fart's bits of advice.

1) Build a small house.  (...)

2) Accept the fact your first attempt at a ship may be <expletive>.  (...)

3) "(...) but build smaller and worry about the game stats afterwards.  Or even better, grab a piece of paper and write out a story outline and treat your MOCs like movie sets for each scene rather than game pieces.  A big, historically accurate mcguffin is great ofc, but a great tale is far more memorable."

My 2 ill gotten coin

Thanks for advice. I am thinking of a story line that opens up for some MOCs. A ship is yet to be imagined^^ 

Question: While there is a Seawatch coordination threat, I find it hard to piece together the elements of where, when and who (sure, alle three state fractions involved), I am lacking context. Is there somewhere consolidated information about it? 

Aaaand: great thanks to CapOnBOBS for a loooot of consultancy! 

On 2/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, Kwatchi said:

It's me Hi, I'm the problem, it's me lmao ... train show in MI next weekend lol

On 2/13/2023 at 5:08 PM, Kwatchi said:
On 1/18/2023 at 8:15 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

as a once active player and current mediocre lurker

FWIW, able seamen like yourselves are very welcome! I reckon most factions would benefit from people who can encourage and inform, even if they can't build for whatever reason.