Peppermint_M

LEGO Monkie Kid 2023

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

No 2024 MK leaks thus far. . . Should we be worried? 😬

As an in house Lego theme we get no info apart from set numbers, which we have I think. Bc they’re Lego exclusive they leak much less and we get no info until they are actually revealed, which will happen in November at the Chinese expo. 

15 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I would be, yes. 

21 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

As an in house Lego theme we get no info apart from set numbers, which we have I think. Bc they’re Lego exclusive they leak much less and we get no info until they are actually revealed, which will happen in November at the Chinese expo. 

We have both names and numbers for the other in-house action themes (Ninjago, Dreamzzz), and we got some information about Lunar New Year sets (also LEGO-exclusive) in @Brick Clicker’s latest video; we have nothing for Monkie Kid. 

Yeah, i am surprised to see Friends and City already have their early leaks along with set numbers and names.  I wonder Monkie Kid wave would be released in summer next year instead of winter or spring?

I wouldn´t be to worried, since it is Lego exclusive noone really expected informations about Monkie Kid to be revealed together with the other themes. I would be really surprised if there wouldn´t be new Sets next year.

I mean who knows maybe it's over, but I think at this stage it's too earlier to be too worried about that. The theme seems to be popular enough, and at this point it has already run longer than any other in-house action theme since Ninjago, which to me indicates that it will have decently long legs for some time to come. Obviously the situation is somewhat different, but the concerns over Monkie Kid being canned remind me of the perennial concerns that Ninjago is ended, despite there being very little evidence of that. If we haven't heard anything by next January then I think it is probably time to get worried, but for now I am of the opinion the theme is likely to keep going for a good while. 

1 hour ago, Meadius said:

I mean who knows maybe it's over, but I think at this stage it's too earlier to be too worried about that. The theme seems to be popular enough, and at this point it has already run longer than any other in-house action theme since Ninjago, which to me indicates that it will have decently long legs for some time to come. Obviously the situation is somewhat different, but the concerns over Monkie Kid being canned remind me of the perennial concerns that Ninjago is ended, despite there being very little evidence of that. If we haven't heard anything by next January then I think it is probably time to get worried, but for now I am of the opinion the theme is likely to keep going for a good while. 

Come  to think, Monkie Kid seems popular enough, yes, but is it selling well lately?  I dunno. But I do agree with you on what you said. I uess it’s a habit of being uncertain amonglego fans. 

16 hours ago, Lion King said:

Come  to think, Monkie Kid seems popular enough, yes, but is it selling well lately?  I dunno. But I do agree with you on what you said. I uess it’s a habit of being uncertain amonglego fans. 

I'm not sure if we have any solid data as to how well it's doing, I assume it has to be for it to have lasted this long. The only other explanation I can think of is that maybe Lego is just willing to lose a lot of money to break into the Chinese market, but even that seems kind of unlikely to me since if MK was unsuccessful you'd think they'd just make a different theme.

43 minutes ago, Meadius said:

I'm not sure if we have any solid data as to how well it's doing, I assume it has to be for it to have lasted this long. The only other explanation I can think of is that maybe Lego is just willing to lose a lot of money to break into the Chinese market, but even that seems kind of unlikely to me since if MK was unsuccessful you'd think they'd just make a different theme.

Ah I see, ok

On 8/11/2023 at 2:50 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

I wouldn’t assume anything based on that. Most 2024 leaks so far seem to be from independent (non-Lego Group) retailers, and in the Americas and Europe those sorts of retailers would not be getting release information about Monkie Kid sets since the sets are Lego-exclusive there. So the potential for leaks is narrower sort of like it is for modular buildings or similar “D2C” sets.

Most years our first look at the upcoming Monkie Kid sets arrives alongside the Lunar New Year set reveals. And we haven’t gotten any leaks/reveals about those yet either. So I wouldn’t worry.

All Monkie Kid sets (including the new ones) were discounted 20-30% in my local (monobrand, not official) store and all are sold out, except 80035, so take that as you will. I was able to get everything I wanted except 80047, as it was already sold out by the time I saw the discounts.

Apparently at a recent event Sean Schemmel (voice of Monkey King in the TV series) confirmed that they are finishing recording for Season 5, which pretty much confirms that the theme will be continuing next year.

20 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Apparently at a recent event Sean Schemmel (voice of Monkey King in the TV series) confirmed that they are finishing recording for Season 5, which pretty much confirms that the theme will be continuing next year.

Considering the cliff hanger of season 4, we should definitely be getting a season 5 and so sets will come with it. 

I kinda had a feeling that Monkie Kid theme would be done if season 5 is the final. We will see as time passes along. 

I audibly gasped and said “of my god” 

set 80054 “megapolis” 

WE’RE GETTING THE CITY! 

I can only hope it somewhat resembles the actual show version and is built like a city-of-lanterns-on-steroids. Cannot wait and absolutely my most anticipated set, although it’s sad to see we are getting such a small wave. Other sets are: 

80050 MK vehicle creations 

80051 MK mini mech 

80052 unknown

80053 Mei dragon mech. 
overall pretty mediocre wave that’s small and somewhat interesting (will be cool to see how they differentiate the MK mech from the combi mech, and it’s cool to see Mei is finally getting a mech) but MEGAPOLIS! 
Wow I wish it was a summer wave set to be honest, if we got megapolis as one of the giant structure sets it could be the best one yet. 

Edited by a guy from somewhere

2 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

I audibly gasped and said “of my god” 

set 80054 “megapolis” 

WE’RE GETTING THE CITY! 

I can only hope it somewhat resembles the actual show version and is built like a city-of-lanterns-on-steroids. Cannot wait and absolutely my most anticipated set, although it’s sad to see we are getting such a small wave. Other sets are: 

80050 MK vehicle creations 

80051 MK mini mech 

80052 unknown

80053 Mei dragon mech. 
overall pretty mediocre wave that’s small and somewhat interesting (will be cool to see how they differentiate the MK mech from the combi mech, and it’s cool to see Mei is finally getting a mech) but MEGAPOLIS! 
Wow I wish it was a summer wave set to be honest, if we got megapolis as one of the giant structure sets it could be the best one yet. 

The rumored megaopolis does NOT help my financial situation, I'm still trying to save for ninjago city markets!

Honestly, the fact that we're getting megaopolis is a big red flag for me that the end of monkie kid is upon us. This wave feels like a "we ran out of ideas" wave to me

16 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

The rumored megaopolis does NOT help my financial situation, I'm still trying to save for ninjago city markets!

Honestly, the fact that we're getting megaopolis is a big red flag for me that the end of monkie kid is upon us. This wave feels like a "we ran out of ideas" wave to me

That I agree with. Considering 5 is a pretty round number to end a series and also the waves aren’t getting any bigger, I think we should prepare ourselves that this time next year may not be as joyful. 

On 8/18/2023 at 6:01 PM, Lemerbrix said:

We have so much JTTW or Chinese mythology inspired media at the moment (DC's Monkey Prince, Disney's American Born Chinese, A Korean Oddyssey, New Gods: Nezha Reborn, Wukong in League of Legends, Over The Moon, Marvel's Shang-Chi, Wu Assassins etc...)

You'd think Monkie Kid would still be popular... But maybe the market is over saturated with stuff trying to cash in on Chinese culture?

A dragon mech for Mei sounds interesting. I wonder how it would fair compared to my dragon mech I modded from Zane's Titan Mech (I still need to get irl pics of that taken)

17 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

A dragon mech for Mei sounds interesting. I wonder how it would fair compared to my dragon mech I modded from Zane's Titan Mech (I still need to get irl pics of that taken)

Would love to see that at some point. Is anyone here London way and knows if the Leicester Square store has any MK in stock? I’m still looking for the macaque mech and it’s retired now for some reason, despite having its final production run happening in October. Really disappointed because I wanted to get the macaque figure and the Sandy and Mei figure in that set. Does anyone have any recommendations for monkey kid sets currently on shelves and off shelves? I’m looking at getting a couple. Still need a Sun wukong and red son as well. I’m hoping megapolis next year gives us casual tang again, and also that it gets shown off at the expo in December. 

I’m relieved that we get a few more bfore Monkie Kid season finale takes its place!

Megapolis and Dragon Mech sound interesting to me.  Mini Mech? I bet that set would be similiar to Marvel mech sets. 

On 8/18/2023 at 1:01 PM, Lemerbrix said:

Honestl fact that we're getting megaopolis is a big red flag for me that the end of monkie kid is upon us. This wave feels like a "we ran out of ideas" wave to me

On 8/18/2023 at 1:19 PM, a guy from somewhere said:

That I agree with. Considering 5 is a pretty round number to end a series and also the waves aren’t getting any bigger, I think we should prepare ourselves that this time next year may not be as joyful. 

Agreed. Unlike Ninjao, Monkie Kid is based off Journey to the West story.  Most of in-house themes doon’t last for longer than 3 - 4 years. 

So I don’t think Monkie Kid will get reboot, unfortunately. 

18 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I’m relieved that we get a few more bfore Monkie Kid season finale takes its place!

Megapolis and Dragon Mech sound interesting to me.  Mini Mech? I bet that set would be similiar to Marvel mech sets. 

Agreed. Unlike Ninjao, Monkie Kid is based off Journey to the West story.  Most of in-house themes doon’t last for longer than 3 - 4 years. 

So I don’t think Monkie Kid will get reboot, unfortunately. 

MK did get a marvel-style mech in 2021, in the bone demon set. The mech was in the style of the  marvel mechs at the time.

i’d like to see Mei’s dragon mech be around the size of the azure lion from this year. I might need to pick up the vehicle creations set, considering it’s a sequel to the staff creations, I think I might do something similar to what I did with the staff creations (shameless plug):

I’m betting that the unknown set is a villain set, because we got so much hero stuff already, there’s got to be at least one villain set to balance it out.

I think this quote summarizes what I want with megalopolis

On 8/18/2023 at 9:15 AM, a guy from somewhere said:

I can only hope it somewhat resembles the actual show version and is built like a city-of-lanterns-on-steroids.

This is a very interesting insight to the theme, im sure ive posted it before but seeing it now is quite cool. Lots off different things in the back ground that where unreleased sets at the time, like the flaming foundry, the car, somehow no one saw the Eiffel Tower in the back ground as well. Some work on the second year villains and also some air ship prototypes which I can only imagine where for this years wave. Theres also some cool unreleased models like a bull demon tank, a MK pod racer looking vehicle and some more city buildings, I wonder if they could be part of megapolis. 

I have Monkie Kid polybag (Lonkey King’s Marketplace) and I noticed there are two Technic pins. Do you know where this set meant to go with other set? Lantern City? Or what?

19 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I have Monkie Kid polybag (Lonkey King’s Marketplace) and I noticed there are two Technic pins. Do you know where this set meant to go with other set? Lantern City? Or what?

Def team hideout from this years winter wave. Where did you get it? Been looking everywhere for it.