Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, Micmac said:

Loads of people still want the rest of the last microscope castle as a set, lego never learn.

That would be a horrible idea in my eyes. The section of the castle that we got is by far the most iconic one, so only people that already own that set would buy the extension as that one wouldn’t really work on its own. They’ve released add-on sets before, sure, but those all worked as separate sets too. I doubt a castle extension would, especially at the high price point this would require :laugh:

Moreover, the original set is now almost 5 years old, so the two sets would share only limited shelf time. Releasing this new smaller version was the right move IMO :thumbup:

For me the new Hogwarts set is perfect in size for displaying, but also in detail. Suits me fine and I really can't wait for the release!! 

I read some complaints about the lack of the clock tower, but it's there though:

HPcastle.jpg

45 minutes ago, FF4266 said:

I read some complaints about the lack of the clock tower, but it's there though

That's not the Clock Tower, that's the Entrance Hall leading on to the Great Hall. 

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That would be a horrible idea in my eyes. The section of the castle that we got is by far the most iconic one, so only people that already own that set would buy the extension as that one wouldn’t really work on its own. They’ve released add-on sets before, sure, but those all worked as separate sets too. I doubt a castle extension would, especially at the high price point this would require :laugh:

Moreover, the original set is now almost 5 years old, so the two sets would share only limited shelf time. Releasing this new smaller version was the right move IMO :thumbup:

That wasn't really my point. The last set was half the castle and this one is maybe 90%. Some people would love the rest of the original set, they are never going to make it though. But why would they not finish this version when it was nearly there. Its an odd choice to chop the castle there.

@Micmac I think the MOC you linked to (nice, btw; thanks for sharing it) goes a ways to answering that. The scale varies, but at the largest it only seems to be 1.5 x the lego version. So let's say the new set is missing 10%. To include more of the castle, as it demonstrates, a much larger model would be necessary, which in turn is a lot more expensive, and I get the feeling lego is trying cover a bigger variety of price points. The nanoscale castle, Diagon Alley, Gringotts are very expensive, and this set and Icons lie in between those and the regular sets. (And it would be nice if they remembered the cheaper sets again for next year, please.)

Plus unlike the 2021+ modular sets, this has a very cohesive design language, so purchasing a second set, for fans with the inclination and budget to, allows for decent MOC-ing without too much waste. Obviously you'd need to supplement trees, grass / lawn, wooden bridge, Hagrid's hut and Quidditch pitch pieces, but it's not an absurd amount.

Those commenting about the lack of clocktower and rear courtyard, could it be that this area is based on the castle as it appeared in CoS? For example the location of the Womping Willow and the greenhouses. The tower, courtyard, enclosed bridge and wooden bridge were only added from PoA onwards.

Everything else though generally matches the physical model from HBP (Great Hall clock and courtyard as added in GOF, astronomy tower and training grounds towers as changed in HBP), but without the changes made in DH2 (larger entrance courtyard, second viaduct, new boathouse).

4 hours ago, dalekcann said:

Those commenting about the lack of clocktower and rear courtyard, could it be that this area is based on the castle as it appeared in CoS? For example the location of the Womping Willow and the greenhouses. The tower, courtyard, enclosed bridge and wooden bridge were only added from PoA onwards.

It's got the PoA onwards style Hospital Tower so no - it's based on the HBP castle with the clock tower cut off. 

7 hours ago, Micmac said:

That wasn't really my point. The last set was half the castle and this one is maybe 90%. Some people would love the rest of the original set, they are never going to make it though. But why would they not finish this version when it was nearly there. Its an odd choice to chop the castle there.

It was closer to a third of the castle, if that. This is what the whole castle would have looked like at that scale. 

osmOwOJayk_600x600.jpg?v=1653507184

Lego's model was just the bottom left corner. No Quad, Clocktower, Long Gallery, Courtyard, Green houses, Clocktowers, or Astronomy Tower.

I can understand why Lego didn't introduce the other sections as stand-alone sets since they are less iconic than the front part they chose (which is basically the facade from the Wizarding World theme parks) though for one of 3D puzzle versions of Hogwarts it was done as three different sets that could fit together and even then it didn't include all the courtyards and stuff. 

Hogwarts-Complete-416x416.jpg

Not sure if this was posted already, but the metal train axles are back!!! Thank goodness!
LEGO-Harry-Potter-76423-Hogwarts-Express

17 hours ago, Micmac said:

I'm surprised that more people are not annoyed that lego made the castle micro scale and then didn't give us the full castle. I think it looks nice but it's incomplete. I've seen better versions made by fans. I couldn't help myself if i got it, I'd have to expand it like this version which is beautiful. Even a few studs bigger with the clock tower and bridge would have been fine. Loads of people still want the rest of the last microscope castle as a set, lego never learn. I think the figure is great but a lot of people don't even know who it is. 

Lego Hogwarts Castle

This would cost, what, $800? The whole reason this set is being made is because they want to reasonably make as much as a Hogwarts castle in one set as they can. If they added another half to it to include the clock tower/Hagrid's hut/Quidditch/etc, it would be closer to $250-300, which would then be pointless, as the $170 price point makes it approachable for the large market that cannot afford the $400 version. They are both for two different markets.

That being said, I'm with you in that I look forward to see someone complete the set like the 2018 MOC. I will definitely add on to it.

Edited by Modal

17 hours ago, krimimimi said:

@Micmac I think the MOC you linked to (nice, btw; thanks for sharing it) goes a ways to answering that. The scale varies, but at the largest it only seems to be 1.5 x the lego version. So let's say the new set is missing 10%. To include more of the castle, as it demonstrates, a much larger model would be necessary, which in turn is a lot more expensive, and I get the feeling lego is trying cover a bigger variety of price points. The nanoscale castle, Diagon Alley, Gringotts are very expensive, and this set and Icons lie in between those and the regular sets. (And it would be nice if they remembered the cheaper sets again for next year, please.)

Plus unlike the 2021+ modular sets, this has a very cohesive design language, so purchasing a second set, for fans with the inclination and budget to, allows for decent MOC-ing without too much waste. Obviously you'd need to supplement trees, grass / lawn, wooden bridge, Hagrid's hut and Quidditch pitch pieces, but it's not an absurd amount.

This one of the few sets that a second set is overkill and i'm not sure it would help really with building the rest of the land as it changes from cliff to grass hills.. A lot of lego sets are buy two and you can make a full building. I've just bought two friends botanical garden set. But this one is missing such a small part of the castle it seems so odd to have eliminated it. 

8 hours ago, Modal said:

This would cost, what, $800? The whole reason this set is being made is because they want to reasonably make as much as a Hogwarts castle in one set as they can. If they added another half to it to include the clock tower/Hagrid's hut/Quidditch/etc, it would be closer to $250-300, which would then be pointless, as the $170 price point makes it approachable for the large market that cannot afford the $400 version. They are both for two different markets.

That being said, I'm with you in that I look forward to see someone complete the set like the 2018 MOC. I will definitely add on to it.

This image was just an example of the whole grounds. I wasn't saying lego should have built this. They made the castle section minus a bit of the castle. The clock tower part thats missing would probably have added 50 at most to the set which seems overpriced like all sets at the moment. An original complaint of the first micro set was it was just a bit of the castle so lego heard that and was like here you go but we want it to fit into this price point so we knocked a little bit of the castle off. And I understand finding that middle price tier for certain sets but I think keeping the clock tower in should have overridden that factor. 

So not only are LEGO making that hairpiece in the Dreamzzz sets that would be perfect for Lee Jordan, but.... they're actually already making it unprinted in black in that soccer/football set with the four female players!

Even more frustrating they didn't use the piece for him, but at least it will be available very soon.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

So not only are LEGO making that hairpiece in the Dreamzzz sets that would be perfect for Lee Jordan, but.... they're actually already making it unprinted in black in that soccer/football set with the four female players!

That piece has been around since 2018 tho :shrug_oh_well:

40634_alt7.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&

Lego Nakia - Red Top

The Dreamzzz piece is entirely different:

71456_alt8.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

34 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Dreamzzz piece is entirely different:

Yes, that new Dreamzzz piece comes in the set in black, just like I said:

1852298949_Screenshot_20230603-2125182.thumb.png.d4fdbb9c6c87bc4dc8410dbbb367d3b3.png

23 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Oh!! I had no idea there were additional hairpieces included! *oh2* My apologies!

6 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

*pic of awesome new hair piece*

Wow that's so exciting to see! I much prefer it in black than in reddish brown like in Dreamzzz. Hopefully this is available on bricks and pieces by the end of the year, it would be great for sig fic and customised characters. 

2 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Wow that's so exciting to see! I much prefer it in black than in reddish brown like in Dreamzzz. 

The reddish brown version in Dreamzzz also has lime green printing on it, so it's even less useful IMO.

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Oh!! I had no idea there were additional hairpieces included! *oh2* My apologies!

I didn't either until I saw Jay's story, and came here to share the news. It's exactly what people wanted for Lee when the Dreamzzz pictures came out.

That’s absolutely perfect! Why on earth did they not use it for Lee when they were already making it?! :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

That’s absolutely perfect! Why on earth did they not use it for Lee when they were already making it?! :facepalm:

It's weird, but personally, I don't mind. We're getting a new recolour of the Hobbit hair we likely wouldn't have otherwise :laugh: Shouldn't be too hard to get the dreadlock piece on BL

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It's weird, but personally, I don't mind. We're getting a new recolour of the Hobbit hair we likely wouldn't have otherwise :laugh: Shouldn't be too hard to get the dreadlock piece on BL

Yeah. With any luck lego will also add it to pick a brick as well. It’s just flabbergasting that they’d put the black hobbit hair in Harry Potter and the black dreads as a random choice in the Icons of Play set when they could easily have switched the two and had a much more accurate Lee Jordan without detracting from the other set at all. 

9 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

I’ve seen it said before on these forums that Lego designers in different teams and Themes probably work so separately that designers might not notice a new useful  piece until 2 or 3 years after it’s first introduced - I could see this happening here where this new wig has simply gone under the Harry Potter team’s radar 

Lol, I just started building Dobby and the first thing you build is his sock. ;)

Just completed WWW and the HE :classic: I like both of them more than I expected! Still would‘ve preferred something new altogether, but they‘re nicely designed sets and include plenty of neat accessories, especially the Galleon coin. Using a design inspired by the classic LEGO dragon is a really cute idea, kudos to the graphic designer(s)! :thumbup:

Hope Gringotts not only includes plenty more of the this print, but Sickles and Knuts as well. Oh, and the nugget piece included in the WWW set reminds me that a trans-red recolour of that piece would work perfectly for the Philosopher’s Stone. Come on guys, include that in the Gringotts set! This year’s budget surely allowed that :tongue:

Edit: @Brick Clicker is teasing HP rumours for tomorrow! That pretty much has to be a description of Gringotts :excited: Or at least a minifig list.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

His latest video confirms 4804 pc for Gringotts and 212 pc for the vault promo, did we know that already?

3 hours ago, brickbride said:

His latest video confirms 4804 pc for Gringotts and 212 pc for the vault promo, did we know that already?

Sounds like news to me. :excited:

Apparently piece counts were already known in January and I forgot. :S