Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

I‘m surprised by how much I like this wave despite there being no new characters *huh* On paper, it sounded like the most boring one so far, but surprisingly it‘s not!

However, I do wish we can scratch some names off the list in the summer wave :tongue:

The printed Hagrid mittens on the fire place are a very nice inclusion.

19 minutes ago, Yope said:

The printed Hagrid mittens on the fire place are a very nice inclusion.

What an awesome detail!! :wub: Of course they’re not really usable, but that’s such a cool inclusion! The attention to detail in this theme is still unparalleled!

Also, I really appreciate you can actually place the portraits in the sets themselves, unlike the chocolate frog cards that required a GWP set to display them all :laugh: I wonder how many of them there are this time!

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Fairly decent wave, though I am continuing to question how long they want to drag this theme out. 

I disliked just about everything about the 2021-2023 Hogwarts system so a new system closer to the 2018-2020 one could provide a breath of fresh air but I'm not sold on it yet. The boathouse looks pretty good for what it is but the Owlery looks very <insert that tiresome argument>, unappealing and inaccurate. We'll have to see what this new system brings to the table, jury is still out. 

Hagrid's Hut feels like a set from the golden days of this reboot (2018-2020), it's really great. I love the new Hagrid variant, Norbert(a) and Fang though I would've much preferred Fang to be dark brown. Price is a bit rough but nothing waiting a few months won't solve. 

LOVE the idea of portrait prints (Sir Cadogan and Phineas Nigellus Black please!!) but I'm a bit bummed out by their randomized nature. It made sense for the CFC but I don't see why these portraits couldn't just be included in specific sets, much like each Infinity War set in 2018 came with a specific Infinity Stone. 

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Fairly decent wave, though I am continuing to question how long they want to drag this theme out. 

I disliked just about everything about the 2021-2023 Hogwarts system so a new system closer to the 2018-2020 one could provide a breath of fresh air but I'm not sold on it yet. The boathouse looks pretty good for what it is but the Owlery looks very <insert that tiresome argument>, unappealing and inaccurate. We'll have to see what this new system brings to the table, jury is still out. 

Hagrid's Hut feels like a set from the golden days of this reboot (2018-2020), it's really great. I love the new Hagrid variant, Norbert(a) and Fang though I would've much preferred Fang to be dark brown. Price is a bit rough but nothing waiting a few months won't solve. 

LOVE the idea of portrait prints (Sir Cadogan and Phineas Nigellus Black please!!) but I'm a bit bummed out by their randomized nature. It made sense for the CFC but I don't see why these portraits couldn't just be included in specific sets, much like each Infinity War set in 2018 came with a specific Infinity Stone. 

Owlery certainly does look Juniory. Ha! Got around the censorship of the word. What a strange thing to censor

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Found an image of the portraits!

https://falconbricks.com/news/lego-harry-potter-2024-sets-revealed/

Scroll to the bottom to see them all.  It looks like there are 11 (unless there's still one kept secret).  If I was to guess they would be:

Top row: (Mystery tile,) Jocunda Sykes, Rowena Ravenclaw, unknown, Basil Fronsac, Sir Cadogan

Bottom row: Helga Hufflepuff, Edessa Sakndenberg, Godric Gryffindor, unknown, Damara Doderidge, unknown

I just saw the new sets.
And my first reaction is: LEGO IS RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS.
The owlery and the boathouse are buildings that we were really missing, but at the same time I don't see anything there that the fans couldn't do with their spare parts. But I wanted to ask, the owlery obviously references the Goblet of Fire when Harry invites Cho to the ball, however, has anyone else noticed that it also references the moment when Filch tries to intercept Harry's letters to Umbridge in Order of the Phoenix?
Honestly, I already expected them to launch a second Hagrid house with Fang, it was just a matter of time.
My opinion: I don't like repeated sets being released, not only because of money, but also because I don't like having repeated things, they take up space and don't make sense in the collection. Then you end up buying something that you already have, you're already satisfied with, but now there's an extra accessory that yours doesn't have, I think that's bad. I consider it a good set, when it's a new place with new minifigures, I don't know if you've noticed but, THERE IS NO NEW MINIFIGURES or really interesting clothing variations for the general public.
Let's talk about the Forbidden Forest, you know that there is simply Lego reusing things from previous sets, right? that scene doesn't exist in the film or in the book, here comes my question, LEGO is out of ideas from the film and book to use in the sets and started inventing things, that's a fact, so why not invent really useful things? How about a lego with Peeves? Lego has already proven to use the book as a basis for sets, or perhaps a lego on Nick's Death Anniversary, with the 4 Hogwarts ghosts (and maybe Peeves).

Note: One more thing, where is the Troll in the bathroom?

I'm not interested in the owlery, boathouse, or forest sets, but the hut and the car are fantastic. At first glance there isn't anything much to differentiate the car from the 2018 and 2020 versions, but the B pillar is different and it uses a full 6x6 tile for the roof. More importantly, they've redesigned the chassis to allow two minifigures to stand side by side in the car. The 2010, 2018, and 2020 versions weren't designed for that, and it was a non-trivial mod to allow that. I could squeeze two minifigures side by side in the 2018 and 2020 versions without modification, but it was a bad fit. So that's a real solid improvement. Hagrid's Hut is perfect. I like the way the roof is built and the way it lifts off, and I like the way the back quarters of the fully enclosed hut open. The furniture is all great, and the minifigure selection is really solid.

wow that hagrid hut is everything i ever wanted. fully enclosed, fang, and new hagrid!

weird that there are only 3 sets with the cards and 11 varients, no way they expect people to buy duplicates, id bet these cards will make their way into the summer wave

3 hours ago, Yope said:

Found an image of the portraits!

https://falconbricks.com/news/lego-harry-potter-2024-sets-revealed/

Scroll to the bottom to see them all.  It looks like there are 11 (unless there's still one kept secret).  If I was to guess they would be:

Top row: (Mystery tile,) Jocunda Sykes, Rowena Ravenclaw, unknown, Basil Fronsac, Sir Cadogan

Bottom row: Helga Hufflepuff, Edessa Sakndenberg, Godric Gryffindor, unknown, Damara Doderidge, unknown

Thanks for the tip! These look lovely. 

The article claims there are twelve portraits currently, so I’m guessing that ‘mystery’ one is just as yet unrevealed. Given that we can clearly identify the other three founders my moneys on it being Salazar Slytherin. 

I think the others are all based on portraits visible in the backgrounds of the movies? The compositions all look familiar. I love that Sir Cadogan is included!

16 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

The Hedwig set might be worth it for the photo of baby Harry with his parents. I think that's a new piece. Like the History of Magic textbook as well.

I think both are Stickers ;).

3 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

As long as people buy it I would guess? And honestly, we might be taking the theme to much from the adult side. For us it is the third wave now after another - for kids (and their parents) it is great that they can get those sets now and don´t have to try to get old sets from resellers for higher prices ;).

3 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Well, I hope we will have them in the Polybag, so we can search for the missing ones. Of course randomization has its flaws, but it is the better option than having them in fixed sets when you are not planning to get all of them IMO - ofc when you are getting all fixed would be better.

Ford Anglia: Lovely little set for display if you don't own one already. A great little set for kids also with a cheaper pricepoint and playability.

Magical Creatures: Really dissappointed with this one. I wasn't expecting much from the build, just the usual tree or two as filler fluff, but from the leaks that Buckbeak was going to be in it I thought the Hermione and Ron minifigures were certain to be from Prisoner of Azkaban and Hagrid's lesson in the forest. So that being said I thought we would get student versions for the minifigures and Hermione might be the usual combo of reusued Gryffindor robes and plain legs, but I was also hoping we might get a new torso print for Ron with his scruffy white open shirt look. The CMF Ron comes close but he has his black robes on still. For the set to instead include little Hermione and Ron is extremely dissappointing because that just doesn't make sense canoically as they hadn't met Buckbeak yet in either the films or the books. Of course for kids I'm sure this will still be fun and if you don't have a Buckbeak, baby thestral, pixie yet etc then this is a good set for that, but I see no reason for the minifigure choices. I would rather of had a new torso print than a winking pixie.

Owlery: Pleasantly suprised by this one and love the new owl colours. The snowy rocks really capture the movie vibe, but dissappointing to see plain legs on Flich. He has printed legs in the first iteration of this figure with this torso print, so Lego can do better and it feels nothing but money corner cutting not to include printed legs. 

Boathouse: Again pleasantly suprised. Minifigures are as expected and the build was never going to be wonderful, but it's cute and compact.

Hedwig: Not my cup of tea at all and the bird looks far too big for the sign, but I'm sure it will make a nice desk warmer for some. Can't fault whoever had to design the set for the pricepoint they did an admirable job.

Overall I'm getting low budget vibes from this wave, with sets chosen because minifigures can mostly be reuses and instead the odd printed part and another gimmick being used to try to sell the sets. All the sets are cute and some sets clearly have had the budget spent on them, such as Hagrid's Hut getting all the new figs, the printed mitten, Fang etc, but if that means that Filch can't even get printed legs in another set it seems pretty tight. Will be interesting to see how the Summer wave turns out. Maybe sometimes less would be more?

Edited by BacktoBricks

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the new small grey owl is surely Pigwidgeon.  Light grey feathers with a white breast and orange eyes with a black brow. 

On 11/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, Brick Clicker said:

There is a five pack in March but it's unknown what the characters are

I didn't see this in the March sets that were just revealed. Are there still sets to be shown for March or will it be later in the year for the Brickheadz?

9 minutes ago, chrisincanada said:

I didn't see this in the March sets that were just revealed. Are there still sets to be shown for March or will it be later in the year for the Brickheadz?

I think it might just be that those will be exclusive to lego and because of that revealed later.

5 hours ago, Yope said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the new small grey owl is surely Pigwidgeon.  Light grey feathers with a white breast and orange eyes with a black brow. 

Oh yeah, definitely a match for the screech owl that Rupert Grint can be seen with in some publicity stills. Sadly, he never made it on screen though. Still amazing to actually get him. Now if only lego would resurrect Errol. 

First impressions:

Flying Car - looks just as boring as I imagined.

Privet drive - I'll admit my first thought upon seeing the picture was "HAHAHA THIS IS THE WORST VERSION OF HEDWIG SO FAR". I mean, so far the smaller buildable creatures haven't been great - the Patronus-mech thingie and Dobby -, but I thought LEGO could at least do owls. No, thanks. (That's not a criticism of the designer, by the way. As I've said before, it's our FOURTH buildable Hedwig within a few years, and obviously the one with flappable wings and the big Icons one had a much higher parts count and therefore looked much more finished. It's more a criticism of LEGO thinking we needed another one, AND then opting for THIS kind of scene.)

Boathouse - How is that a "HOUSE"? It doesn't have DOORS! And nothing about it is (book) Canon; McGonagall shouldn't be here, it's four kids per boat not two, and they don't ROW - the boats move by magic! Who'd even expect first-years to know how to row across a lake? That doesn't make sense. That said, five figs for a set at this price point is really very good.

Hagrid's Hut - not sure where the almost 900 pieces went on this (maybe the double floors?). I mean, that's about the same piece count as for the Great Hall! I'm also disappointed in Fang who looks ugly and blocky. I do like the figs (apart from a standard Draco) and Norbert.

Owlery - that one actually looks pretty decent for the parts count; the wintry setting is not as overdone as in the Hogsmeade sets; we get more interesting figs than just the usual Trio, and WAY more owls than I'd expected. Definitely the best of the lot.

Forbidden Forest - I called it that they'd use the baby thestral and the pixie in addition to the Hippogriff! And are the spider and the mushrooms glow-in-the-dark? Other than that, the trees are ugly as expected but the colours are nice for a night scene. The figs are boring. I wouldn't buy it at that price but it would make a good parts pack at a discount.

18 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I think it might just be that those will be exclusive to lego and because of that revealed later.

Yeah, the Sorting Hat is still missing.

Edited by brickbride

I think older fans do need to take into account that the theme still does target children and therefore releasing sets that have been previously made is necessary as the products only have a limited shelf cycle. This allows new generations of HP fans to purchase Lego depictions of the main locations, even if a similar thing has been produced several years before. Obviously most of us here are Lego collectors for life but many of the target audience will only be active from say 7-10. I am never bothered by how sets really look or how accurate they are, as these can easily be modified. For me, it is about getting decent parts. It’s disappointing not to have more Torsos for Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw but these offer something new for long-term fans with the owlery and boathouse, plus I do like that there are plenty of smaller sets like the car, which is much more like the Lego of old where there were a number of more affordable ‘pocket money’ sets and not every set was the one you had to wait until Christmas to get (or otherwise you’d never get it) 

"Buildable Wizarding World toys – This set is the first in an upcoming series of modular sets (sold separately) that connect to create the most detailed LEGO® brick-built Hogwarts™ Castle scene ever"

So this is in the info on lego site for the Owlery so it seems the castle is being relaunched again and this is the first release for the new design. So maybe a new great hall next summer. I'm happy we are done with the anniversary version of the castle but i'm not sure what to expect just from seeing the owlery. 

A few nice figs and the the portraits are lovely but I'm not a fan of any of the new sets so will wait for some of them to go on sale before i get any. Skipping the car, forest and owl definitely, I have so many cars. 

I also read the following on the LEGO Shop: "1 of 14 collectible Hogwarts™ portraits – This adventure playset includes a gold-colored element printed with 1 of 14 random Hogwarts portraits to display in the Owlery". So not 12!

Edited by Bricknificent

17 hours ago, ZeLuiz08 said:

I don't like repeated sets being released, not only because of money, but also because I don't like having repeated things, they take up space and don't make sense in the collection. Then you end up buying something that you already have, you're already satisfied with, but now there's an extra accessory that yours doesn't have, I think that's bad.

I agree that it’s bad when LEGO is trying to sell fans on a whole lazy remake/rerelease for a new accessory, figure, or side build (see last summer’s remakes) but that’s not really the case with this wave. Outside of the new modifications to the flying car, there’s no new figures, creatures, or prints to tempt collectors to buy it if they have earlier car versions and are happy with those builds. The Forbidden Forest is exclusively existing figures and creatures outside of the minor changes of a winking pixie and probably some slightly different robe/skirt combinations for the figures which are negligible to even the most dedicated collectors. If you’ve already got buckbeak, a baby thestral, a pixie, and enough forest to make you happy, there’s no reason you would have to buy this unless you really like the new tree style. Those two sets are perfect remakes. They’re remakes that needed to happen for the kids and they haven’t forced in anything that collectors would want. 

The Hagrid’s hut build toes the line quite a bit between a remake only existing for the kids and a remake that’s a substantial enough improvement to be worth it for collectors. I think I’m comfortable saying it’s just barely improved and different enough to the 2019 version (mainly thanks to it being based on a very different design in universe) to be a worthwhile upgrade so the inclusion of new variants and creatures doesn’t feel like a cash grab. Even if you don’t think the build is enough to justify it, having 2/3 remakes not try to temp collectors at all is extremely refreshing. 

1 hour ago, Bricknificent said:

I also read the following on the LEGO Shop: "1 of 14 collectible Hogwarts™ portraits – This adventure playset includes a gold-colored element printed with 1 of 14 random Hogwarts portraits to display in the Owlery". So not 12!

Why would someone display a portrait in the owlery, of all the possible places in Hogwarts the owlery would be the worst one to put portraits :pir_tong2:

when I saw the collectable portraits I was thinking that eventually we could see something like a bigger version of the staircase tower this year.

I think that these portraits must be good for something and therefore need to be put somewhere on a wall.

16 hours ago, Yope said:

Fwiw, the sets on are the lego site now, and they confirm Pig, Trevor and Beaky by name in this wave. (Plus Hedwig, Scabbers, Fang and Norbert(a).) We've got pretty good creature representation now.

Edited by krimimimi