Teddy

Presenting my current WIP: HMS Victory

Most defiantley a amazing ship. I wonder if the lego version will be just as goood. :pir-tongue:

177cm! Bejezus! The ship is only a few cm shorter than me!

dear Mister Phes, after your interview here I'm starting to understand your humour a bit :pir-tongue:

That's our job.

Staudie. :pir-blush:

Breathtaking... I could never afford bulding something THAT big. I see a lot of work still awaits you - and a lot of fun with it. :pir-classic:

I can't wait to see the full model - what are you planning to use for the sails?

Sure you can find the the Figs once in those rooms? There are loads and very small hallways :pir-laugh:

haha, there surely are Joey Lock!

Just wait till the orlop deck which comes on top, that should be fun!

has even more small hallways which connect all the small rooms in the hold. :pir-tongue:

Breathtaking... I could never afford bulding something THAT big. I see a lot of work still awaits you - and a lot of fun with it. :pir-classic:

I can't wait to see the full model - what are you planning to use for the sails?

Thanks Dreamweb!

Must confess i always wanted to build a mini-fig scale model of this ship in lego when i was a kid and one of the Dutch Batavia (VOC) ofcourse :pir-wub: . (thats why i keep a keen eye on Captain green hair's progress of the VOC ship Prins Willem here, which is kind of a [much] larger brother of the Batavia).

When i was a kid i used to go to the local library to look for data on the Batavia, then in one book containing nice drawings i found the HMS Victory and i was stunned. I just loved the black and yellow color scheme.

I scavenged the library for every book on the ship, you could say i was kind of obsessed with the pirate theme back then.. :pir-classic:

Ofcourse my pockets werent very deep so it stayed just a fantasy. Untill a few years ago when i bought pirate lego from ebay, leaving my dark ages. Then i decided i would build the Victory anyway even if my friends called me crazy and i started collecting bricks for this ship. Now two years on i'm still collecting bricks for it but i have a moderate amount stacked for continued building and use; holliday trips to legoland, bricklink, ebay, marktplaats (dutch ebay kind of site) and lego's own website to gather more parts. But it takes planning, because its easy to overspend... :pir-tongue:

I got lucky with some good deals, especially in Billund, and havent spend a really ridiculous amount... i guess, i didnt dare to document.... :pir_wacko:

i count the holliday trips as holliday expenditures... :pir-tongue:

Edited by Teddy

Dear all,

after a usefull discussion with Captain green hair over MSN I decided to redo the stern.

although i did not fully use all of Captain green hairs advice (sorry Captain green hair :pir-wink: ) i think the "smoothness" of the stern is

improved.

Please let me know your opinion.

Kind regards,

Teddy

old stern:

04-07-08_2036nr2.jpg

new stern:

05-08-08_1405nr2.jpg

side view new stern:

30-07-08_0952nr2.jpg

Edited by Teddy

Prototyping a 3 x 3 gunport.

--------------------------------

Dear all,

Recently I have been prototyping a new gun port with a new brick introduced recently this year:

60478.jpg

link to brick information on bricklink

I have made two different prototypes to create a 3 x 3 gunport, which i need for the HMS Victory.

Any feedback is very much appriciated.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Note: You can see in the background, I've been doing some prototyping with the tumbling home as well. :pir-tongue:

Prototype 1:

06-08-08_2307nr2.jpg

06-08-08_2308nr2.jpg

06-08-08_2309nr2.jpg

Prototype 2:

06-08-08_2303nr2.jpg

06-08-08_2304nr2.jpg

06-08-08_2305nr2.jpg

Ah you showed me that part, indeed very usefull! :thumbup:

I must say i like version 1 better, it's a bit sloped when closed wich makes the hull look smoother IMO.

Version 2 looks a bit bulky IMO.

Keep it up buddy! :thumbup:

My hats off to you for attempting such a massive and rewarding undertaking! Just how much have you spent on all those parts? I didn't realise there was that many tiles in the world.

Cant wait to check in again on the progress.

I think you should go with option 1, but make it smooth, like option 2. Option 2 looks too "built in".

Staudie.

Looks like it's progressing nicely Teddy.

As for the hull, I think version 2 of your hull looks better. This way you can see the rear-fin (? not sure if that's the right word) alot better.

I like your tumblehome technique! I love the way how it looks like real planks.

And lastly, I'd go for the first gunport prototype. The other one looks nice when closed, but opened it looks strange, in my eyes.

The first one looks good open AND closed. :pir-wink:

Ah you showed me that part, indeed very usefull! :thumbup:

I must say i like version 1 better, it's a bit sloped when closed wich makes the hull look smoother IMO.

Version 2 looks a bit bulky IMO.

Keep it up buddy! :thumbup:

Hi Captain green hair,

thanks for your recommendation! i must say I'm also leaning towards version 1.

Kind regards,

Teddy

My hats off to you for attempting such a massive and rewarding undertaking! Just how much have you spent on all those parts? I didn't realise there was that many tiles in the world.

Cant wait to check in again on the progress.

Hi I Scream Clone,

thanks for your compliment! :pir-classic:

Getting all those tiles has already taken me two years.... :pir_wacko::pir-tongue:

Kind regards,

Teddy

I think you should go with option 1, but make it smooth, like option 2. Option 2 looks too "built in".

Staudie.

Hi Staudi,

thanks for your recommendation! I'm also having a slight preference for version 1.

I'm just not sure yet how I can make it smooth like option 2. do you have any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Teddy

Looks like it's progressing nicely Teddy.

As for the hull, I think version 2 of your hull looks better. This way you can see the rear-fin (? not sure if that's the right word) alot better.

I like your tumblehome technique! I love the way how it looks like real planks.

And lastly, I'd go for the first gunport prototype. The other one looks nice when closed, but opened it looks strange, in my eyes.

The first one looks good open AND closed. :pir-wink:

Hi Mr Tiber,

Thank you for your comments. I really apriciate the feedback! :pir-classic:

The redoing of the stern was some serious work. I had to redo a lot to get it back together again.

And after such a massive operation, you always hope the end-result is better than what you started out with.

I have to say I'm pleased with the end result. In real life it seems a lot smoother. That senation is hard to capture on a photo.

But I'm glad it is noticable.

Thanks for the recommendation of the first gunport. You are right the second one looks a bit weird when opened.

I must say nobody has prefered the second version so far. So judging from that I think I will also go with version one.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Dude that is ridiculously large. I love the usage of snot building for of the hole. I am so jealous of the size of your collection. Mine obviously doesn't even touch close to the size of your collection.

Edited by the_lego_dude

Dear all,

Recently i updated the enterior of the hold.

Hopefully you like my update.

I will be looking forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Teddy

21-08-08_2246nr2.jpg

21-08-08_2247nr2.jpg

This is a phenomenal piece you're working on. As others mentioned, I too feel that the original stern section looks better than version 2. I do have one question though. As you build the ship, will the interior holds still be visible? I've always had a fondness for interiors (on MOCs of all shapes and sizes), so I was wondering if you are designing the Victory to be opened in a way that would alow a viewer to see those interior details on completion.

Awesome work so far!

Me (and Ruben as well) are in favour of a combination of both versions for the gunports.

We feel that you should use both versions where necessary.

As is seen in this picture

image048-1.jpg

The bottom gunports look like version 2 when the upper ones look like version 1.

Just a suggestion though :pir-blush:

Anyway keep up the incredible work :thumbup:

Me (and Ruben as well) are in favour of a combination of both versions for the gunports.

We feel that you should use both versions where necessary.

As is seen in this picture

The bottom gunports look like version 2 when the upper ones look like version 1.

Just a suggestion though :pir-blush:

Anyway keep up the incredible work :thumbup:

Hi Errorist (and Ruben),

thanks for the sugestion! :pir-classic:

I didn't notice that detail when I visited the HMS Victory last year.

Kind regards,

Teddy

I'm always for historical correctness, therefore I agree with the suggestion on Errorist to use both versions of the gunports.

Also it will make the sides of the ship look more interesting having the 2 variants. There will be many gunports, so a little variation is desired.

This is a phenomenal piece you're working on. As others mentioned, I too feel that the original stern section looks better than version 2. I do have one question though. As you build the ship, will the interior holds still be visible? I've always had a fondness for interiors (on MOCs of all shapes and sizes), so I was wondering if you are designing the Victory to be opened in a way that would alow a viewer to see those interior details on completion.

Awesome work so far!

Dear blueandwhite,

thanks for your kind reply. I am planning to do the enterior as detailed as I can. But i have to admit that doing interiors is kind of new to me. Normally, I just focuss on the exterior. I will make the ship modular in several blocks which can be lifted from the main hull (the brown part). I will probably devide the blocks horizontally so that I can leave the rigging intact. The current hold is block nr 1, the orlop will be a small block nr 2 and all gundecks and rigging a block nr 3

further I am planning to make the yellow and black side pannels as such that they can be lifted away to the side to allow access to the gundecks in that way.

I am still considering making the orlop block only as an interior block, deviding the ship into two main blocks, one under the waterline and one above the waterline.

Kind regards,

Teddy

I'm always for historical correctness, therefore I agree with the suggestion on Errorist to use both versions of the gunports.

Also it will make the sides of the ship ook more interesting having the 2 variants. There will be many gunports, so a little variation is desired.

Dear Bonaparte,

thanks for your reply. After Errorist his post I have started to take a second look at all the gunports and decided to design every one of them as closely to the original as possible. Like you I am also in favour of historical corectness. :pir-classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Wow! Thats a pretty stunning hull! Sorry for my lack of history knowledge, but what exactly is the HMS Victory? :)

Go to this website... It is the official website of the great ship of the line HMS Victory. Here is the link.

http://www.hms-victory.com/

The ship is a first rate ship of the line, meaning it has 100 guns or more. It was Lord Nelson's Flagship. A great ship with a great history. You should defiantly read up on some sailing history!

And Teddy there is not much to say that has already been said... The start of this ship is mighty impressive... I can not wait to see the end result. Keep up the good work!

Edited by HMS243

Great work on the hold! I agree with others; you should use BOTH gunport designs, as it will ad variation. May I also suggest updation your first post with each instalment so that people don't have to look in between all of these pages to find something?

Wow! Are you insane or obsessed? This is sooooooooooooo cool! What is your day job to be able to afford all of these bricks? Keep up the brilliant work. I look foward to the next update! :pir-classic: