I love that wall in the background even more! And need to know how wide it is. I just have 14 of the Lidl storage racks on my desk and 1 to go to events (I use the bins for the color sorter to put pins in). Would love to have a full wall like that, but not possible now with a 1,5yr old running around.

First post updated with a fully mechanical Rollercoaster GBC. Happy with the final result as It took a few designs because there is a lot of variation in how the Carts behave. Turning a discontinuous variation into a continuous process was not easy. 

Wow, impressive! It's interesting how you made the loop out of sideways track. Is that a standard roller coaster technique, or something clever you had to do to make it work?

This is really cool and impressive! Somewhat reminds me of the loop rollercoaster set (10303) but it's obvious that the official set wouldn't just turn into a GBC with few simple modifications, rather one would need to be built completely from the ground up, as you have done here.

Thanks all!

19 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Somewhat reminds me of the loop rollercoaster set (10303) but it's obvious that the official set wouldn't just turn into a GBC

Actually I was already busy with the loop idea in a GBC before the 10303 was developed and sold. As I wanted to keep all tracks LBG I didn't want to use the loop pieces from 10303 but would have been much easier to use these.

5 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Is that a standard roller coaster technique, or something clever you had to do to make it work

The sideways technique can been seen in other rollercoasters with a loop, especially rollercoaster before the 10303 was sold. I haven't seen it in a GBC. It was a gamble if everything would run smooth enough without having to go very high with the spiral but it worked out well.

could watch the vid for hours! Very hypnotic. :thumbup:

Is there (any) ball loss? ...during a runtime of let's say an hour?

I'm very interested in obtaining a copy of your Stud.io file of the Roller Coaster GBC. That roller coaster is very awesome! It ticks two boxes for me: coasters and GBC. I would like to build it.

On 10/2/2023 at 2:53 AM, 1963maniac said:

I'm very interested in obtaining a copy of your Stud.io file of the Roller Coaster GBC. That roller coaster is very awesome! It ticks two boxes for me: coasters and GBC. I would like to build it.

im also interested in the file, having taking a break from GBC to fix cassette decks im eager to get back into it

A small video of my GBC machines @ LEGO World Utrecht 2023:

Posted (edited)

First post updated with the Crane Loader for the Type 2 train. Akiyuki published his Crane Loader for the Type 1 train already 12 years ago. Everything is driven by one M motor in the train with mechanical timing mechanisms. Free building instructions on Rebrickable. The Crane Loader works very well with the Rotary Dumper.

Initial Stud.io file by Dunes and Jude the Lego Dude but many modifications were needed to let it run with the Type 2 train;

• Type 2 container is 2 studs higher, 1 stud wider and 1 stud longer compared to Type 1 train, adjustments on container position, container locks, train drive station and inbox
  • Container position too high for inbox for balls to drop in, inbox ramp 1 stud up, container grabber and container locks 1 stud down, inbox ramp opener switch one stud up and gate limiter added.
  • Carrier direction switch in train drive station wrong direction, placed one gear in-between. Clutch switch limiter added for reliability.
  • Almost all gears supported on both sides.
  • Train drive station reverser has double switch but must be one to have two clutch switch triggers for back and forth movement of the carrier before the train leaves the station.
  • 3L universal joints removed and replaced by straight axles from train drive station to carrier, train drive station one plate up and repositioning of train for correct drive axle and container alignment, drive axles one stud up and converted to studless in the carrier frame.
  • 64782 bottom panel on carrier cannot pass drive axles, re-design together with inbox emptier trigger re-design and repositioned higher. Attachment points added to carrier guide.
  • Two 73090b counterweights for better weight balance.
  • Carrier gear rack length longer for correct timing, idle on drive end and correct timing of the Inbox gate.
  • Carrier gear rack locks in place with new limiters at the bottom, sometimes the whole assemble would come up which results in skipping gears on the gear rack. The bottom wheel lock maybe can be improved by adding light tension by a rubber band to prevent any gear skipping.
  • Train reverser gearing adjusted from 1:1 to 12:20 for more power and movement time. Timing about fits with the Rotary Dumper cycle (20s) and is about the same as the Type 1 crane loader. I'm not sure about battery life but I expect it will be good. Battery life can be extended by replacing the 12:20 gear combination by 8:24 gears but cycle time will go up of course.
  • Braces added to lock position of the train drive station.
Edited by Berthil
typos

I've tried to explain the Akiyuki Type 2 train system by making an infinite loop.

been a while since i was last here, great to see you still making more modules, i was wondering if you had instructions for the roller coaster module?

@9v system I didn't make instructions and sold the Stud.io file and design rights to Mould King so who knows, they might make a set out of it. Meanwhile I'm busy with a 4th version that has a different concept but also there emptying the carts is a challenge.