Hinckley

Your thoughts on Universe

yeah i did see that DBZ torso , i thoguh it was just prelim though, other wise it would get very suey.

It could, I suspect they were just trying to include the people and didn't know it was from that, it is actually a decal someone (I think NickGreat) made and posted on Minifig Customization Network.

and plastic is already confirmed to be currency though...

I know, it seems stupid :hmpf_bad:

Haha, this whole page is just us two having a conversation, at least it's not going off topic!

:skull:

yeah we aint doin a batbrick and brainbox (no offense)

anothering thing im concerned about is that will people just steal things and such ala Roblox (dont del post please admin)

that said though i DONT think LU will be better then the two other 'competitors' (Roblox and Blockland)

both are sandbox-y which suits LEGO

oh man think of an online LEGO Creator game, those games were the best

but it will nver happen :cry_sad:

:wink:

yeah we aint doin a batbrick and brainbox (no offense)

Hehe, they got their own topic though :tongue:

oh man think of an online LEGO Creator game, those games were the best

but it will nver happen :cry_sad:

Hopefully something like that may be incorperated into LU, that's what the website claims anyway. :thumbup:

my worries are (prepare for long list)

tree house are 'forced'

Who says they will be forced? Besides, what's so bad about having your own lego treehouse in virtual space? :tongue:

limited Minifig options

Just the fact that they had several custom torsos on the concept video makes me think that it won't be limited at all. I'm betting there may even be a custom torso option - as long as they moderate what content people put on it. :wink:

to much inclusion of non-LEGO things

Again, look at the concept video. Just from one scene we see a giant city with lego apes on skyscrapers, lego mechs running through the city, giant steampunk airships, and a lot more things - all which fits perfectly in the lego world. Besides, every lego game since Lego Starwars has had non lego thing and custom pieces in the landscapes and objects- it's made like that so the designers don't have to go through the hassle of making every last grass blade an official lego piece. :tongue:

quest = get thing and bring to npc

I think the quests will be more varried and complex than that - imagine if one quest dealt with raiding a troll fortress and stealing a special brick, then fighting your way out of it? I think that would be cool - especially since you'd probably be doing it with other players. :sweet:

no fighting

There will probably be no fighting between players, yes, but there certainly will be fighting against enemies! Just look at the battle with the darkling in the concept video - that sure looks like fighting to me! Besides, there will probably be other ways to compete against other players - why else would they have a minigame designing contest on the official website? :wink:

no pvp (confirmed, f**k)

Read the previous answer. It isn't as simple as this - we may not be killing each other in the game, but we will probably be competing in minigames - which may include battling of some kind. Imagine if one of the minor modes was kart racing or mech battling? That would be awesome. :sweet:

cant just build a car and drive it round (y'know what i mean)

Don't count that out yet - who knows, we might be able to make custom vehicles to use in the overworld. :wink:

linear

A MMOG can not be linear - it's set in an open, free world, with the ability to interact with the enviroment, go to other areas, and work with other players. :tongue:

not very LEGOy (plastic as currency, WTM?)

This is a bit weird, I admit, but it's probably like that because studs look like lego pieces themselves. According to the site, plastic is supposed to be the basic material from which all lego pieces are made from - not something you use to buy lego. So, you can trade not just lego bricks but also the material used to make them. :wink:

lack of lego inclusion (theme characters as npcs and doing 'quests' based on sets and the like)

From what I've seen in the trailers and screenshots, I already see City, Fantasy, Steampunk, Mecha, and even Ninja elements and characters - and I'm sure there will be more. The designers have even hinted at the possibility of adding liscensed themes after the game launches - permitting that the companies that own the liscenses like the idea. :wink:

no chatting (the thing that made LEGO network fail)

If there isn't chatting, I'll be very supprised. It will most certainly be moderated, but there has got to be some communication form for any MMOG to work. :tongue:

relying on other people to get through (another thing that made LN fail)

Again, this is an open world game - not a linear game like Lego Starwars, Lego Batman, etc. I think it's best not to compare those two kinds of lego games, as they are made by totally different developers and with different ideas in mind. :wink:

making there own 'characters' (like echo, :sick: )

What's wrong with the designers being creative? I'm sure a lot of fans were really excited when they saw some of those elements from steampunk, Warcraft-style fantasy, and other areas that the official sets don't touch. IMO, it would be uncreative and wrong for the designers to stick within the actual sets for this game, when there is so much more they can do. :thumbdown:

making sets of it (there are much more deserveing things)

I highly doubt there will be sets of all the stuff that is in Lego Universe, apart from the elements already present in the current sets. Look at all the lego minifgures that Traveling Tales has made in their games - Lego hasn't made any of their designs into official figures (case in point - the new Magna guards look totally different from the ones in Lego Starwars 1). :tongue:

failure price and/or no 'free' mode (cmon if its £10 a month and not mega awsome i wont play and i dont think parents will aswell)

Look, this is a MMOG - a montly pay system is nothing out of the ordinary, and I don't fault TLC for doing it this way. :wink:

novetly (fun, for five minutes)

Why do you think it will be like this? The Traveling Tales games are simple, and yet they are fun to play over and over again. And this game promises to be much deeper, varried, and more complex than those games. :wink:

RS strain (doing what RS has done to millions of kids, ruin there childhood)

You do have a point on this. That's why it's crucial for parents not to let their kids get addicted to this or any other games. If they let their kids play for hours and hours on end, then it's their fault, not TLCs. :thumbdown:

highly worried i am :yoda:

:wink:

You don't have to be. I think you do have plenty of legitimate concerns about this game, but it's best not to worry to much at all until we get more info. This game isn't coming out until late 2009, for crying out loud! Who knows what Netdevil could accomplish in that amount of time. I think the best thing you can do right now is to sit back and wait for the game info to unfold. Or, you can go one step further and submit you ideas to the official site - the whole reason why they are having these online workshop challenges is so they can see what people want in the game, so giving them your ideas wouldn't hurt. :wink:

Just the fact that they had several custom torsos on the concept video makes me think that it won't be limited at all. I'm betting there may even be a custom torso option - as long as they moderate what content people put on it. :wink:

Hahah. Yes, it would definitely need to be moderated if that was possible, I wouldn't want to see the technique manipulated like people have done in Spore. :laugh:

Besides, every lego game since Lego Starwars has had non lego thing and custom pieces in the landscapes and objects- it's made like that so the designers don't have to go through the hassle of making every last grass blade an official lego piece. :tongue:

Actually, I think even the first Lego game, 11 year old Lego Island, was like that. I own Lego Racers, from 9 years ago, and that certainly has a lot of non-Legoness, but it's cool nonetheless. It is a shame the virtual Lego world can't be more Legolike, but as you say, it would be hell to make everything like that.

This is a bit weird, I admit, but it's probably like that because studs look like lego pieces themselves. According to the site, plastic is supposed to be the basic material from which all lego pieces are made from - not something you use to buy lego. So, you can trade not just lego bricks but also the material used to make them. :wink:

According to well known fact, plastic is the basic material from which all Lego pieces are made from. :tongue: Or do you mean, in the actual Lego Universe the minifigs know this? Either way, on the computer they're not even made of plastic anyway. :grin:

What's wrong with the designers being creative? I'm sure a lot of fans were really excited when they saw some of those elements from steampunk, Warcraft-style fantasy, and other areas that the official sets don't touch. IMO, it would be uncreative and wrong for the designers to stick within the actual sets for this game, when there is so much more they can do. :thumbdown:

I agree, I love what has been in other Lego games with their own characters, like Sparky from LR2 and Mr X in Stunt Rally. New concepts would certainly make the game more interesting.

I highly doubt there will be sets of all the stuff that is in Lego Universe, apart from the elements already present in the current sets. Look at all the lego minifgures that Traveling Tales has made in their games - Lego hasn't made any of their designs into official figures (case in point - the new Magna guards look totally different from the ones in Lego Starwars 1). :tongue:

Well... Next year there are to be new Indiana Jones sets which are very similar to how they appear in the games, but both are based on the same media anyway. Despite this, the Lego Island Xtreme Stunts theme was based on a game. I don't think we would get sets from an online game though...

Edited by Shoc

Well I expect that the game will be sucessful! :thumbup: I hope that I'm right. :grin: I'm mainly worried about the age seperation...but we'll have to get more info.

Lego12

I dont have any ageseparations concerns, and I'm really looking towards the new game.

I hope it will be released, and that it will continue to develop with the users that are in it.

Just the fact that they had several custom torsos on the concept video makes me think that it won't be limited at all. I'm betting there may even be a custom torso option - as long as they moderate what content people put on it.

Moderating that would be very costly I'm afraid, but it has to be done...

They will have few choice then to distribute this cost amongst the users :sceptic: .

Edited by zorro3999

Well first of all, I think the game will be great but I really don't know what to fully expect from it so I will wait till the actull game is released.

Anyway a question for the clever people here on EB( That is of course everyone apart from me :tongue:)

Will the game be an online game like runescape or on a disk like lord of the rings online?

Well first of all, I think the game will be great but I really don't know what to fully expect from it so I will wait till the actull game is released.

Anyway a question for the clever people here on EB( That is of course everyone apart from me :tongue: )

Will the game be an online game like runescape or on a disk like lord of the rings online?

In the FAQ's it says that you can buy it on a disk on by digital download. So either way I think you'll be running it as an app not as a web browser. So more like LoTR Online I think.

In the FAQ's it says that you can buy it on a disk on by digital download. So either way I think you'll be running it as an app not as a web browser. So more like LoTR Online I think.

Thanks skipper 24, I personally think this would be the better way to do it anyway as it means not so much hassle as to not being able to get it all right and it would maybe prevent a lot of confusion. Then again having it online could make it so much easier to aquire and would take some of the cost for us out as they wouldn'tneed a lot of disks and covers for them.

I heard that there will only be Pre-Rendered chat, or has lego come to their senses and have added Free-Chat aswell?

Really?

Where did you hear that?

Please post a link or a scan or something to back that up, because having pre-rendered chat only would be a little strange.

I'm not interested in this game if it has a subscription fee. It seems to have many nice ideas, but it is an MMO and it is going to have the usual problem with grind-oriented gameplay that all pay-per-month MMOs have. The basic MMO financial model gives developers an obvious incentive to design the gameplay so that it rewards time commitment over any sort of skill. They want to make sure that people keep paying for more time.

On the other hand, if it's a standard retail game with a one-time cost, then it may well be worth checking out.

I agree with you, but I believe I read in a couple places that it will follow a subscription model. :sceptic: Meaning it will probably be pay-per-month.

I think that LEGO Universe will basically be the average 3-D grind-oriented MMOG, except LEGO-themed and with the ability to build things with virtual LEGO bricks.

However, I am not worried about the monthly subscription fee. In-fact, having a monthly subscription fee has some huge upsides for the customers. Monthly subscription fees deter most Hackers and Bot-Makers, as they wouldn't want to get a ban from something they paid for. Also, "N00bz" would probably avoid playing LU due to the monthly fee, because they are usually in the younger age groups. So if LU was all free-to-play, we wouldn't enjoy it as much as it would be if it were pay-to-play because of the large n00b and trouble-maker infestation. If LU was half free-to-play half pay-to-play, it wouldn't be very different from an entirely free-to-play version of LU, except if it had the members' content on separate servers. However, it is possible for n00bs and trouble-makers to buy a membership.

Hopefully, the monthly fee won't be too expensive. Even if it was very expensive -- think about what you're getting here; HD-quality graphics, ability to build your own custom LEGO models (think about how many lines of code it would take to program all of those brick positions), plus lots quests, items and other average MMOG elements.

Edited by Bricknave

If this turns out to be everything I expect (and it should be seeing as there was a year delay), then this will be my new favorite thing to do. :cry_happy:

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR LEGO UNIVERSE ACTIVATION KEY!!!
Stop spamming, and like I said, it won't work, because they are linked to emails.

This is the MMO I'm personally most excited for. Now if only the newsletter sign-ups could get some love :[

Very awesome. Can't wait ;)

Will totally pwn WoW.

@Johnon, I know man. =\

Edited by j123j

I think that LEGO Universe will basically be the average 3-D grind-oriented MMOG, except LEGO-themed and with the ability to build things with virtual LEGO bricks.

Actually .. It won't be ..

There are no levels in the LEGO MMO.

It's entirely based around the idea that kids are playing it.

Which explains the whole pre-rendered chat idea... though I haven't asked about that yet.. if you want me guys to, I will.

I suppose I should admit this..

I've been talking to the one of the devs for quite a while about the game what I can confirm:

There are no levels.

It's based in the 8 to 12 year old range.

It IS pay to play. :(

-EVERYTHING- in the game you see, you can buy from LEGO.. from your Minifig to the stuff he or she builds. (No idea on if there is an additional charge of if it's still ten cents per brick or not.)

It's "mana" system for building objects is based in "Imagination", and it does recharge over time, and it will recharge when you do certain achievements in game.

There will be a 'pet' based system where pets that you find in the game give your Minifig certain abilities.

There will be party questing.. though I'm not sure how well that will work with the rumored pre-rendered/chosen chat.

There are no "Death Penalties" for dying in game.

Its -very- platform like, like the LEGO games that game out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 that were such big hits.

There is a "show case" for things that people build in game- I don't have much on this other than it'll show models that people build.

It will reward people for exploring and trying -everything-. What I mean by this is if you risk your plastic doing something creative, it'll probably reward you with a new LEGO part or a new customization part for your minifig.

I'll see what else I can turn up. :) :thumbup:

--

I don't have much expectations for this, though I'm kind of excited for it.

I'm worried if I put expectations on it, I'll be disappointed.

I'm already really really disappointed with the decision that they've made it pay to play.

As far as I know, it has always said pay to play. It has said that for at least a year on their site, maybe more, and they never said it would be free.

This video series in youtube explains a lot.

And it looks like people can type in to chat.

Edited by bugefun