Darth_Legois

Aussie sales! Share the news of LOCAL sales!

I can confirm that they have the 7206 Fire Helicopter, 7207 Fire Boat and 7213 Off Road Truck all for 29.99 at the Willows BigW in Townsville. Quite a few 7206 and 7207 sets left but only 1 7213.

No luck finding a 10212 Imperial Shuttle though, the guy on the floor told me they sold quite quick in that store. We have two more BigW's here so I am going to check them out on the weekend.

I report there there are few (4 of each) sets of fire boats, fire helicopter and fire off the road truck in Big W, Menai, Sydney

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Amazing-170-000-piece-Lego-sculpture-Flinders-St-Charity-Auction-/280743366794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item415d9bd08a#ht_500wt_1156

Can anyone confirm this is Legit? Would be an awesome artwork in anyone's living room. Just find it hard to believe it would be legit with such a basic description & One photograph of the item in the distance.

This afternoon BigW had the fire truck and boat set online with free shipping.

Available until October, or until stocks run out.

The other two sets aren't listed however.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Amazing-170-000-piece-Lego-sculpture-Flinders-St-Charity-Auction-/280743366794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item415d9bd08a#ht_500wt_1156

Can anyone confirm this is Legit? Would be an awesome artwork in anyone's living room. Just find it hard to believe it would be legit with such a basic description & One photograph of the item in the distance.

Yes this is the real deal. It's for the Father Bob Maguire charity. The guy in the picture is Father Bob (renegade religious 'dude' who features on a weekly radio show on JJJ with John Saffran). I read about this a few days ago in The Age.

I don't know if its legit.. To me it just looks like a tourist standing in front of the mural at Federation square Lego exhibition.

If they are trying to sell it for charity you'd think that they would include some close up pictures of it. [hoping the old guy doesn't come with the mural]

It looks awesome up close ... but does anyone have a spare wall big enough for that?

I don't know if its legit.. To me it just looks like a tourist standing in front of the mural at Federation square Lego exhibition.

If they are trying to sell it for charity you'd think that they would include some close up pictures of it. [hoping the old guy doesn't come with the mural]

It looks awesome up close ... but does anyone have a spare wall big enough for that?

I'd build a spare wall big enough for it! haha. The guy is who they say he is, however the photo does look like someone took a happy snap of him standing in front of the mural. It is pick up, so I suppose there is nothing stopping anyone bidding and attempting to pay cash when they pick it up, they could really have done a better job of the Listing Though!

Myer today and tomorrow, buy 2 get the third toy of same or less value FREE deal again.....if I only had the money ? :cry_sad:

Thanks Tiger! Your posts always bring tears to my eyes (or wallet!).

I think a trip into the CBD is in order; the suburban stores often don't have enough to make up a triple or three.

Yes it is legit. It was made for 'The Art of the Brick' by Ryan McNaught the only Lego Certified Proffessional in Australia. The owners who ran the exhibition are auctioning it for charity.

I think there is a difficulty photographing a mural this size. If you get too close you can't see the image, if you are far enough away for the image to be reasonable, you cant actually tell it's made of Lego.

I'm pretty sure that's Father Bob standing in front of the mosaic.

Not sure if this BigW Clearance set is nation wide or just at one BigW store, but they had plenty of the Star Wars UCS Imperial Shuttles 10212

on clearance stickers for $370 (down from the Rip off retail price of $448).

Still way too expensive in my books and they still weren't selling, perhaps another 2 price drops and the set will be worth buying....... so keep

a look out Australia wide as I have a feeling the Imperial Shuttle was a flop for the amount BigW had to order to have it as an Exclusive so there

might be a fire sale on it in the coming months.

Found two 10212 sets left in our Castletown BigW (Townsville) but not reduced.

Found two 10212 sets left in our Castletown BigW (Townsville) but not reduced.

Shame the clearance price I saw isn't Australia wide, but then again with BigW it never seems to me constant around Australia..........

Im in South Australia and they had 8+ left at the one store so perhaps it's a 'managers special' to move some out the door!!!!!

I just hope no one buys any and they mistakenly reduce them by 50% off of the $370 clearance price......... But I probably have

a better chance of Lego Australia of dropping their Recommended Rip-off Price then that happening.

Myer today and tomorrow, buy 2 get the third toy of same or less value FREE deal again.....if I only had the money ? :cry_sad:

I went this morning. It's a good sale, and if you can triple up 3 of the same item or of equal value, it's basically 33% off.

Just to clarify something I learnt during my visit this morning: many of the recent, desirable LEGO sets already have a special Myer price applied to them, and this 3 for 2 offer cannot be used with them. Also, Myer has some useful prices on "slow selling" sets, but again, no deal.

For example, I got excited this morning thinking I'd be able to take THREE City of Atlantis sets from the store's big pile of them and pay 2 x $79 (Myer's new price on this set), which would effectively be $52.67 per set.

Nope. City of Atlantis does not qualify for 3 for 2 and you'd instead have to pay 2x the RRP of $119, which works out worse than buying just one set.

Other items that 3 for 2 doesn't apply to include the Fire Temple at $159, the red train at $235, or anything else in their current toy catalogue. As they have a lot of the current sets already in the catalogue, it makes mixing and matching any of this stuff with other things of equal value a bit hard, especially when you take the fact that other retailers already have good prices on some of these sets, eg Big W sells the Fire Temple for $144, so you'd be better buying it from them unless you wanted 3 of them, if you get my meaning.

It's still a good sale. You just have to base your purchasing on RRP values.

Edited by dotmike

I went to the Big-W sale, but there was no choppers. But fate smiled on me; there was a damaged Ninjago Fire Temple for $100. It felt full so I took the chance... and all that was missing was the instructions! Since I already own the set I didn't care... :tongue:

It's fair enough rule, even if it is a valid means of getting LEGO at cheaper prices in Australia and many of us enjoyed learning about them. The thread is about Aussie Sales, so that is what we talk about!

Other informal rules:

Good advice! :sweet:

Good advice on the special "summer" prices not being included in the 3 for 2, dotmike. So it looks like 3 for $590 is the best retail deal we're going to get on the red cargo train. Probably for the best because I would have popped on 3 for $470 despite not really being able to afford that much right now.

It was academic anyway as there were only 2 of them left at Myer Canberra City. the lady said that was the last of their second delivery. They'd sold well with many going on layby at $235.

Did pick up 3 sets of straight and flexi rails for $50 and some more basic bricks. Note the that straight and flexis are ticketed at $24.95 but scan at $29.95 (as they have since I bought my first pack about 6 months ago), you get 3 for 2 on the ticketed price.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

I went to the Big-W sale, but there was no choppers. But fate smiled on me; there was a damaged Ninjago Fire Temple for $100. It felt full so I took the chance... and all that was missing was the instructions! Since I already own the set I didn't care... :tongue:

I was lucky and managed to pick up the large fire boat and the chopper at $29 each at my not so local Big W whilst out and about today. Great value at that price!

Nice work on the Fire Temple!

When I brought the fire boat at BigW Tea Tree Plaza only on Friday, no fire truck with raft, only one chopper set left, but a full shelf of boats.....it's a true bargain because at the moment it's on sale at Target for 72 bucks.....take that Westfarmers ! :laugh:

it's a true bargain because at the moment it's on sale at Target for 72 bucks.....take that Westfarmers ! :laugh:

I'd really like to know the story behind such a good deal: a $29 price on a product that has a RRP of $79.99.

I wonder if Big W are selling it at cost? Basically, a loss leader to get parents & kids into the toy aisles? Or else it's a massive (nationwide) price screwup!

I could be cynical and say LEGO Australia has made the RRP high to make any price lower than that seem like a good deal, then offered it to Big W as a sweetener to order a lot of other more regularly priced stuff. That's the daytime TV shopping channel approach:

"What would you expect to pay? $80? No! $60? No! $40 No! Order now and pay just $29! And if you phone now we'll throw in a free set of LEGO steak knives!"

Anyway, it shows there's a lot of room to manoeuvre on LEGO pricing.

Nope I would say below cost for a cheeky reason, to get you in the door ! :hmpf_bad:

Yes, get in the door of the store and if they sell out.....they think you'll buy something else either at full price or a different product...say home brand one where the profit is all theirs ! :wink:

I believe the mark up on Lego is way under 50% so again all three fire sets are below cost.....also they want to clear their shelves and beat Kmart to the punch. :devil:

That makes sense, a loss leader to get people in the door. I hope it's very successful for them and they regularly choose a set to do it with in the future. A Big W "set of the month" (week?) would certainly get me in the door! (And no objections at all if they want to loss lead on a Volkswagen Camper!)

Nope I would say below cost for a cheeky reason, to get you in the door ! :hmpf_bad:

Yes, get in the door of the store and if they sell out.....they think you'll buy something else either at full price or a different product...say home brand one where the profit is all theirs ! :wink:

I believe the mark up on Lego is way under 50% so again all three fire sets are below cost.....also they want to clear their shelves and beat Kmart to the punch. :devil:

I wouldn't be so sure about them making a loss on this. They may not be making much money, however I would suggest that LEGO offered them an extremely low price for a large quantity, perhaps because its a slow moving line, or LEGO gave them some rebates if they've not sold well.

I'd say that when there are these Clearance sales, much the same as the Toy Story Clearances last year, LEGO would give the retailer Rebates, otherwise known as Price Protection, to help clear out the stock. Otherwise these items would continue sitting on the shelf for months and years to come and I'm sure LEGO don't want that.

Shame the clearance price I saw isn't Australia wide, but then again with BigW it never seems to me constant around Australia..........

Im in South Australia and they had 8+ left at the one store so perhaps it's a 'managers special' to move some out the door!!!!!

I just hope no one buys any and they mistakenly reduce them by 50% off of the $370 clearance price......... But I probably have

a better chance of Lego Australia of dropping their Recommended Rip-off Price then that happening.

Which store? I only remember TTP ever having a couple, and they were gone within a week or so of the set going on sale.

I picked up the fire truck and fire boat @ Campelltown Big-w on the weekend for $29 each. Awsome for the price, but I picked up the last two. Might still be some @ Narellan or Carns Hill.

If anyone in Perth wants the City House, Toyworld in Midland had about 1/2 dozen left along with at least one fire brigade.