MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's because for a 4+ set, it's parents buying it, not kids. (Not that that makes the price ok by any means, but it's why.)

I don't know why anyone thought yoda's starfighter would be based off this show. We've seen no evidence that yoda even pilots a starfighter in the show, have we? Not to mention YJA is very much a 4+ show so I doubt we'd get 6+ sets for it.
Actually, weren't there rumors it was a standard Actis interceptor, and not his TCW one?

Wouldn't that make it yet ANOTHER "Clone Wars" set that's actually from Battlefront 2? I can't find any instances of Yoda using an Actis outside of BF2

1 hour ago, Hhalcyon said:

Wouldn't that make it yet ANOTHER "Clone Wars" set that's actually from Battlefront 2? I can't find any instances of Yoda using an Actis outside of BF2

He flew one in The Clone Wars season 6.

You know, I don’t fully get the dislike for that Yoda figure, I actually quite like it.  The set looks good for a 4+ set, I like the temple pieces and the general colors of the set, though I’m not really familiar with the High Republic content.  I don’t think I’ll pay $40 for it, but if it ends up on sale, I might grab it.

27 minutes ago, Hulk_Smash said:

He flew one in The Clone Wars season 6.

No, he didn't. He used this:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yoda's_fighter

I'm talking about this:
https://battlefront.fandom.com/wiki/Yoda's_Actis-class_Light_Interceptor

I can't post pics but those links are just to the fandom pages. They're similar. But notably distinct. The second one would be a recolour of the Anakin Interceptor from 2020, the first one would be a re-release of the 2017 yoda fighter.

Either way not great but I'd prefer the re-release over another battlefront set.

Edit: I can't complain too much either way though because im just gonna buy it anyway because I don't actually have a Yoda.

Edited by Hhalcyon

Nobody can change my mind that it should have been a Clone Wars Ahsoka’s Jedi Interceptor.

Edited by ArrowBricks

The set is about what I was expecting given the piece count and previous 4+ sets. I like the (hopefully printed) temple wall pieces and the training droid. The minifigures are mostly great, too. Lys is perfect, Kai’s hair seems a little off, but otherwise he’s good, as well. Yoda is interesting. I’m glad to be getting white High Republic robes, and I’m eager to compare this Yoda head with the current movie one and the Clone Wars one. Not counting the original, we now have three Yoda heads with similar details but differing styles and colors. 

I am, however, baffled by the absence of Nubs. From the limited amount of comments I’ve seen, he seems to be popular, and the main trio of the show are Kai, Lys, and Nubs. He would have only required a new mold and torso, which is the same that Yoda got, and Yoda did not really need them, nor is he a main character. I’m not sure what they were thinking there, especially since it seems we are likely getting another set with Yoda, so he would be available at the same time. 

This is pure speculation based on my own wants, but I’m hoping that they’re justifying making a new mold for Yoda by including it in both this set and the starfighter. The starfighter then could be based on Young Jedi Adventures and include Nubs. This is probably unlikely, but then I’m confused as to why they’d make two Yoda’s and zero Nubs. 

At the end of the day, though, I’m glad to be getting our first High republic set, new characters, and new molds. 

56 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Nobody can change my mind that it should have been a Clone Wars Ahsoka’s Jedi Interceptor.

Honestly you're right. Lego seems to be wanting an Axis every 3 years (2014, 2017, 2020, 2023), sort of like TIES and X-wings, so it'd be nice if we could get one for Ahsoka.

My guess is this will contain a CW era yoda with the new head mold, and that was the reason for making it yoda's, but it better come with at least 3 figs. We're already at a $5 price increase from the already-overpriced 2020 model.

3 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

Yes, it would be another set not based on the clone wars television series but instead on the wider era. This one makes significantly less since to me than the battle pack though. Yoda's actis isn't a demanded or interesting design in the way people wanted more clones, there's no real connection with it to other sets, etc.

All I have to say is... Clone Wars Yoda doesn't seem that bad anymore :laugh: (I kid, I've always loved TCW figures).

I want to be positive, don't want to call this a wasted slot or whatever, but it is a lame reveal. I don't really get the appeal of these one-off reveals Lego's been doing. Just reveal a full wave or let it leak. I get that the Fang v Interceptor might have spoilers, but I think this reveal should've at least also included the diorama sets. As it is, it just feels weird, seeing this one 4+ set out of nowhere.

Cool figures, decent build, not for me but has an appeal, I just want to see the rest of the sets (and how Rex isn't in the Swamp Speeder :grin:)

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

My guess is this will contain a CW era yoda with the new head mold, and that was the reason for making it yoda's, but it better come with at least 3 figs. We're already at a $5 price increase from the already-overpriced 2020 model.

LEGO: Best we can do is Yoda and R2-D2.

In all seriousness though, I actually wouldn't mind his BFII Actis. A dark green Eta-2 could just as easily double as Anakin's from the second half of ROTS (slightly different deco, I know). Plus, maybe a cool new astro droid. As for the new head, please Force no.

2 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

All I have to say is... Clone Wars Yoda doesn't seem that bad anymore :laugh: (I kid, I've always loved TCW figures).

I want to be positive, don't want to call this a wasted slot or whatever, but it is a lame reveal. I don't really get the appeal of these one-off reveals Lego's been doing. Just reveal a full wave or let it leak. I get that the Fang v Interceptor might have spoilers, but I think this reveal should've at least also included the diorama sets. As it is, it just feels weird, seeing this one 4+ set out of nowhere.

Cool figures, decent build, not for me but has an appeal, I just want to see the rest of the sets (and how Rex isn't in the Swamp Speeder :grin:)

I just watched Yoda's Season 6 arc which features his starfighter back and made a list of named characters who appear in it because I was wondering what a hypothetical third figure could be in the set and Rex does technically feature in the finale of that arc. (in a vision where he gets absolutely flattened by Dooku's force lightning)

It's unlikely but hey you never know. It would actively make more sense than him ending up in the swamp speeder because ya know, he actually featured in the same episode as the source vehicle.

4 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I want to be positive, don't want to call this a wasted slot or whatever, but it is a lame reveal. 

Yeah as AFOL’s it’s a waste, and we were fortunate because we never got ‘wastes’ previously; Yoda Chronicles Atleast had something going for it. 

Combine that with mechs, and I just can’t help eye roll. But, and it’s a big but, Lego is for children. We have to accept it. However, that becomes harder when sets tailored to AFOL’s are overpriced, lacking in quality etc, or just plainly unexciting based on what is relevant. 

Considering this is a June release, we won’t see the others for a while. The next will be the Fang Fighter WHENEVER that scene appears. The summer wave feels empty anyway: Swamp Speeder, Yoda’s Starfighter, Yavin IV Base is all I can think of off the top of my head! 

Atleast I’ll look forward to the backlash from the mechs…

1 minute ago, Hhalcyon said:

I just watched Yoda's Season 6 arc which features his starfighter back and made a list of named characters who appear in it because I was wondering what a hypothetical third figure could be in the set and Rex does technically feature in the finale of that arc. (in a vision where he gets absolutely flattened by Dooku's force lightning)

It's unlikely but hey you never know.

More chance of Lego releasing a buildable Jar Jar…genuinely. 

1 minute ago, ArrowBricks said:

More chance of Lego releasing a buildable Jar Jar…genuinely. 

Your reason being?

3 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Your reason being?

Lego won’t go back to the Clone Wars Season 6. Plus Rex was barely in it, therefore I think it’s 0% likely. Again, just my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Lego won’t go back to the Clone Wars Season 6. Plus Rex was barely in it, therefore I think it’s 0% likely. Again, just my opinion. 

Lego is making a set from Clone Wars Season 6. They are going back to Clone Wars Season 6. That is what we are talking about. The starfighter wasn't in any other media aside from Battlefront 2, and it was a different starfighter technically.

So your options here are:

They made it up and it's an ROTS or AOTC era set. (Notably, 2005 and 2002)
It's from clone wars season 6 (2014)
It's from Battlefront 2 (2017)

Regardless, we're going back a while here, this set isn't hot.

The set costs 50% more than it did in 2017 despite almost exactly the same piece count and presumably a similar build. The 2020 Anakin Interceptor was $5 cheaper (similar build and pcs, 2 figs), the 2022 Obi-wan fighter (similar pcs) had a third character is the same price as this years Yoda Starfighter. Logically, it would have a 3rd good figure. Does that have to be Rex? no. The other logical choices from that arc are even more "0% chance"

Notable characters from that arc:
Count Dooku
Sidious
Clone Wars Anakin
Ghost lady thing
Darth Bane
Evil Shadow Yoda
Doctor Neema
Or Rex

Literally all of those would be a wild choice. Looking at my list, my money would be on Anakin, but the chance of Rex is not 0. It's atleast 1%. He's more logical in this set than he would be in the swamp speeder because he actually featured in the same piece of media as the vehicle and key character.

They might be annoying and make it a "revenge of the sith" set (it wasn't in that) and include like chewbacca. That seems the most likely.

Edited by Hhalcyon

13 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

They might be annoying and make it a "revenge of the sith" set (it wasn't in that) and include like chewbacca. That seems the most likely.

That means the swamp speeder would be kashyyk troopers, i personally wouldn't mind, they haven't been available lately, and last time we only got scouts. If so, than we're getting 

-Luminara

-3 kashyyk troopers

Edited by Goofster

3 minutes ago, Goofster said:

That means the swamp speeder would be kashyyk troopers, i personally wouldn't mind, they haven't been available lately, and last time we only got scouts. If so, than we're getting 

-Luminara

-3 kashyyk troopers

Yeah, starting to think this is highly likely. Bricklinking Luminara. 

Just now, Goofster said:

-Luminara

-3 kashyyk troopers

I'd live with that. If they are just making up mixed media (clone wars ship, rots characters) then I'd love if they'd do us a solid and throw in Commander Gree with the Yoda starfighter. He's less in-demand than other clone commanders but he's more interesting than wookies. Particularly Chewbacca who we see every year anyway,

They could also put him in the speeder I guess. I do feel like 3 army builder clones (41st Elite corps regs and/or scouts) in a $25 set is a little TOO good to be true. So Luminara, Gree and 2x 41st Elite Clones would actually somehow be more realistic for the price point. IDC I'd still buy like 10 of them for a bunch of clones lol.

59 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Yeah as AFOL’s it’s a waste, and we were fortunate because we never got ‘wastes’ previously; Yoda Chronicles Atleast had something going for it. 

Are you forgetting the other 4+ sets, many of which had only repeat figures? I think if anything, this is the best 4+ set for AFOLS, since it's new figs/characters. Doesn't excuse the price though.

2 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

or 35$ v wing with p2 pilot or p2 white clone or tk trooper beacuse tk troopers can too pilote v wing, and someone from bad batch squad

54 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Literally all of those would be a wild choice. Looking at my list, my money would be on Anakin, but the chance of Rex is not 0. It's atleast 1%. He's more logical in this set than he would be in the swamp speeder because he actually featured in the same piece of media as the vehicle and key character.

I don't mean this as an attack on you, but I feel like you're being too constrained in terms of how they tend to do prequel vehicles, specifically ones that aren't possessed by a sole character (like Anakin's starfighter, or General Grievous' wheel bike, or whatever, where it is actually based off of a specific scene).  With the prequels, it's heavily implied that there's a ton of stuff that happens between AOTC and ROTS, and we only really see a fraction of it in TCW (since that show primarily focuses on the main characters other than some episodes here and there that will focus on a different clone legion or Jedi or whatever).

I think LEGO takes that logic and runs with it when they make a lot of prequel-era sets, because it's true that, yes, Rex never appeared on screen with a swamp speeder, but given that he did a lot during the Clone Wars that we never saw, it's highly probable that at some point he was fighting in a battle where there was a swamp speeder.  Same reason why Barriss Offee was in the original swamp speeder, or the original T-6 had Obi-Wan, Anakin, Shaak Ti, and Saesse Tin (I don't remember all four of them appearing in a T-6 together, though I might be wrong, as I haven't rewatched TCW in a while), or the Republic Frigate with Wolffe + a Wolfpack Trooper, Quinlan Vos, Yoda, and Eeth Koth, or even Ahsoka and a 332nd facing an AAT, even though I'm pretty sure the only AAT that we actually saw in Season 7 was in a short scene at the start, before Ahsoka came back or the 332nd existed.  There's lots of other examples besides these, but you get the point.

Like it or not, that tends to be how they do things with Republic/Separatist vehicles, and I think generally it works out for the better, as they can throw in minifigures that we might not otherwise get (like, if they wanted to be screen accurate with the AAT, it would've swapped Ahsoka and the 332nd for Anakin and a 501st trooper, which I feel is a significantly worse figure lineup).  

1 minute ago, Kit Figsto said:

I don't mean this as an attack on you, but I feel like you're being too constrained in terms of how they tend to do prequel vehicles, specifically ones that aren't possessed by a sole character (like Anakin's starfighter, or General Grievous' wheel bike, or whatever, where it is actually based off of a specific scene).  With the prequels, it's heavily implied that there's a ton of stuff that happens between AOTC and ROTS, and we only really see a fraction of it in TCW (since that show primarily focuses on the main characters other than some episodes here and there that will focus on a different clone legion or Jedi or whatever).

I think LEGO takes that logic and runs with it when they make a lot of prequel-era sets, because it's true that, yes, Rex never appeared on screen with a swamp speeder, but given that he did a lot during the Clone Wars that we never saw, it's highly probable that at some point he was fighting in a battle where there was a swamp speeder.  Same reason why Barriss Offee was in the original swamp speeder, or the original T-6 had Obi-Wan, Anakin, Shaak Ti, and Saesse Tin (I don't remember all four of them appearing in a T-6 together, though I might be wrong, as I haven't rewatched TCW in a while), or the Republic Frigate with Wolffe + a Wolfpack Trooper, Quinlan Vos, Yoda, and Eeth Koth, or even Ahsoka and a 332nd facing an AAT, even though I'm pretty sure the only AAT that we actually saw in Season 7 was in a short scene at the start, before Ahsoka came back or the 332nd existed.  There's lots of other examples besides these, but you get the point.

Like it or not, that tends to be how they do things with Republic/Separatist vehicles, and I think generally it works out for the better, as they can throw in minifigures that we might not otherwise get (like, if they wanted to be screen accurate with the AAT, it would've swapped Ahsoka and the 332nd for Anakin and a 501st trooper, which I feel is a significantly worse figure lineup).  

You're not wrong and I do recognise that lego sometimes just says "f it we ball" and makes the 2020 AAT (although ask me about my conspiracy on that set specifically.)

I do think however that if we're trying to speculate on the contents of a set with any degree of accuracy it's best to lean towards "were these figs in a scene, episode or even movie with the thing" because for every Spider Droid featuring Commander Fox or AT-AP with coruscant guards, we do also get sets that do make sense like a Turbo Tank with Gree, Vos and Luminara or an AT-TE with Anakin, Ahsoka, Rex, a clone and that little baby hutt thing.

While this is only like half the time, it's still easier to make a well reasoned speculation based off that logic. If we just say "well it could be anyone in that set really" then we're not speculating, we're wishlisting.

@Kit Figsto makes a great point, but I would just like to point out that the last time Rex and Luminara were in a set together,  the set was based off the Second Battle of Geonosis, where they actually fought side-by-side in the show. The cannon itself was in the first episode of the arc. So it's not as random as people would assume.

Rex and Luminara in the Swamp Speeder is almost the worst possible option from an army builder standpoint. If anything, I could see him with Yoda's Interceptor. But there are tons of more massable options for the speeder (leave Luminara, she could at least provide other useful parts). If they do include the rumored lineup, I'm sure it'll still sell, it's just not as exciting.

27 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

You're not wrong and I do recognise that lego sometimes just says "f it we ball" and makes the 2020 AAT (although ask me about my conspiracy on that set specifically.)

I do think however that if we're trying to speculate on the contents of a set with any degree of accuracy it's best to lean towards "were these figs in a scene, episode or even movie with the thing" because for every Spider Droid featuring Commander Fox or AT-AP with coruscant guards, we do also get sets that do make sense like a Turbo Tank with Gree, Vos and Luminara or an AT-TE with Anakin, Ahsoka, Rex, a clone and that little baby hutt thing.

While this is only like half the time, it's still easier to make a well reasoned speculation based off that logic. If we just say "well it could be anyone in that set really" then we're not speculating, we're wishlisting.

Fair take, I do think with respect to the swamp speeder, there's some credible evidence suggesting it'll be TCW-based figures (even if you take all of the Reddit/Instagram leaks as BS, which, I completely get, because there hasn't really been a proven insider that's said anything about specific figure, jdubbs is reliable and hinted at a TCW-based set on here), but I agree that we can't just take that and make a leap in logic to say "Well, it's gotta be Rex!" (though I think there has to be at least one desirable character in there, because the price point is pretty high and if it were just another army builder, there's no reason why it couldn't be a battle pack).

And I'm quite curious about your conspiracy theory! :laugh:

I see 2 options of clones in swamp speeder. First kashyyyk. Second 332nd. Beacuse in this year there is yoda show and ahsoka show. In 2022 there was obi wan show and lego set with his clones. Is this have logic?

Just now, omegabadbatch said:

I see 2 options of clones in swamp speeder. First kashyyyk. Second 332nd. Beacuse in this year there is yoda show and ahsoka show. In 2022 there was obi wan show and lego set with his clones. Is this have logic?

332nd troopers in the Swamp Speeder would be the most infuriating to me. 501st troopers, but with an orange helmet! I get they're desirable, but please, no more 501st. Also, the Kenobi thing is kind of circumstantial, his starfighter also goes to the 20th Anniversary of AOTC, and Cody and the 212th have been demanded for a while, (the AT-TE could be stretched into an anniversary set for AOTC just like the TIE Bomber this year, but a massive stretch it is).

18 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Fair take, I do think with respect to the swamp speeder, there's some credible evidence suggesting it'll be TCW-based figures (even if you take all of the Reddit/Instagram leaks as BS, which, I completely get, because there hasn't really been a proven insider that's said anything about specific figure, jdubbs is reliable and hinted at a TCW-based set on here), but I agree that we can't just take that and make a leap in logic to say "Well, it's gotta be Rex!" (though I think there has to be at least one desirable character in there, because the price point is pretty high and if it were just another army builder, there's no reason why it couldn't be a battle pack)

Do you know who also appeared in TCW? Commander Bly and the 327th! (for all of 1.5 seconds). 327th clones confirmed. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Are you forgetting the other 4+ sets, many of which had only repeat figures? I think if anything, this is the best 4+ set for AFOLS, since it's new figs/characters. Doesn't excuse the price though.

This 4+ set is the best example of its maximum ceiling. Look, it’s not awful and I actually think children will love it. 

However, as an AFOL I’d rather a precious set number isnt devoted to such a set.  

2 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

Lego is making a set from Clone Wars Season 6.

I’ll elaborate. 

The beauty of a Starfighter like this, is that it can be based on anything. 

The 2017 version as far as I remember wasn’t explicitly based on S6. I have determined this based on the set description and box-art. It was most likely inspired by it. 

Because of that, they’re under no constraints of what they can and can’t include. Hence, I doubt they’d eat into budget and time on s6-specific content as you describe. 

That is what I think. Sorry I didn’t explain it better earlier. 

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think LEGO takes that logic and runs with it when they make a lot of prequel-era sets, because it's true that, yes, Rex never appeared on screen with a swamp speeder, but given that he did a lot during the Clone Wars that we never saw, it's highly probable that at some point he was fighting in a battle where there was a swamp speeder. 

Like it or not, that tends to be how they do things with Republic/Separatist vehicles, 

I second this. Helps explain above too with actual examples. It’s also articulated better than I could have done! Thanks :) 

13 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

I’d be so disappointed if they viewed Young Jedi as a ‘Yoda show’…or have I missed something?