Sebeus I

[MOC] Broadside Brig

My second entry into the 90th anniversary contest at LEGO Ideas.

52238398801_3705a96e32_c.jpg

This build are actually two builds,

One is based on the classic pirates set Broadside Brig (although it might as well be Lagoon Lock-up, the two are conceptually very similar)...

194806.jpg

...The other is based on 6265 Sabre Island.

194821.jpg

But the real star of this creation is the little ship!

20220724_174913.jpg

The hull is very similar to my earlier one (Cross Bone Clipper)

20220724_175019.jpg

2_20220724_182752.jpg

Only the Broadside Brig part has an interior, although there's plenty of space to make some on Sabre Island as well.

20220724_183944.jpg

52237417157_ea2309a98c_c.jpg

Edited by Sebeus I
Fixed pictures

Great rendition of Broadside's Brig. The Sabre Island tribute is a good one too. Nice parts use of the Unikitty tails with decoration for the stern of the ship.

That ship is amazing. Also love the use of the 1x3 arches for fort foundation and use of off-grid angles. This is classic pirates done perfect with new pieces and techniques. Fantastic.

Very nicely done!

You don't often see Broadside's Brig getting much love, so this is a refreshing take!

Thank you all for the nice comments.

If there had been more time for this contest I would have considered making an Eldorado Fortress based expansion as well.

23 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

I love everything, and the use of pickaxe for stone building reinforcement is just brilliant! :pir-thumb:

Thanks, I have been doing that for a long time now although it's been a while since I last posed a building.

It‘s a fantastic implementation. The boat looks superb. Those beatiful ol‘ sails… 

1 hour ago, Sebeus I said:

Thank you all for the nice comments.

If there had been more time for this contest I would have considered making an Eldorado Fortress based expansion as well.

Thanks, I have been doing that for a long time now although it's been a while since I last posed a building.

You could also build the Eldorado extension without the contest. 😅😅😅 i‘m sure we‘d all like to see that. 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:50 PM, Sebeus I said:

I'm fairly new member, and this is the first time I saw this used, and now I went ahead through your topic history here on forum... man you are talented builder, so many cool designs in your MOC portfolio.:pir-thumb:

1 hour ago, Marooned Marin said:

I'm fairly new member, and this is the first time I saw this used, and now I went ahead through your topic history here on forum... man you are talented builder, so many cool designs in your MOC portfolio.:pir-thumb:

Sebeus is an old master!  Hence why he's earned the Ship Expert tag.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:30 AM, Sebeus I said:

My second entry into the 90th anniversary contest at LEGO Ideas.

52238398801_3705a96e32_c.jpg

This build are actually two builds, 

When I first saw this in the Classic Pirates Facebook Group my initial impression was "Imperial Trading Post remix"

I think it was the red roof and sail on the ship that did that.

But after a closer inspection, this MOC does indeed vastly expand upon the concept of Broadside's Brig.

It has a very classic feel to it, yet updating the design to a more modern aesthetic.

Definitely a worthy contender for first place - all the best! :pir-triumph:

On 7/26/2022 at 2:11 PM, Red Rackham said:

It‘s a fantastic implementation. The boat looks superb. Those beatiful ol‘ sails… 

You could also build the Eldorado extension without the contest. 😅😅😅 i‘m sure we‘d all like to see that. 

I could... But once a contest is over I easily lose the incentive to build further in the concerned theme. However, since this is the pirate theme, I might actually go ahead with the Eldorado extension at some point :pir-wink:.

17 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Sebeus is an old master!  Hence why he's earned the Ship Expert tag.

This is fantastic, Sebeus! I love the balance you achieved - it feels perfectly nostalgic/modern.

On 8/1/2022 at 11:26 AM, Supersick_ said:

This is fantastic, Sebeus! I love the balance you achieved - it feels perfectly nostalgic/modern. 

It would make a fine set, don't ye think?

It's fresh enough to be distinct from Broadside's Brig - but I'll admit, when I first saw it, I thought it was meant to be an Imperial Trading Post remake! :pir-grin: