Sign in to follow this  
JoKo

[MOC] Group B Rally Madness #2 / Renault 5 Turbo

The Renault 5 Turbo was a RWD mid-rear engine racecar. Between 1980 and 1985 it raced in Group B. 

My MOC is pull-back with HOG, two motors and launch system. Doors are openable.

y4mbGWwVGiOmq2kZXF8SFl2-QCQYpxmxNgbwiX-9

y4mMArKdQFjrdLmwqKDKP0JrYz60mRKmpbtH4nn7

y4m9UTNXEkZM7m_R6DAzhDoBzqnQlDheY3HEfwf3

y4m6kWliVbsHFwqZTwXuMtKEofpWddGm6WijVeXp

The launch lever is dicreet:

y4mUoGWGg5Z9PIm7DEbPTzrKxUZQyCqYlgPmoqKI

HOG on a pull-back is fun!

This one is more a toy than a scale model but I like the look and playing with it.

Really cool model!

With a few more details, this could have been a runner-up for TC19 :D

Only suggestion is to use narrower wheeln on the front an maybe set the rear ones a stud into the chassis :-)

56 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Really cool model!

With a few more details, this could have been a runner-up for TC19 :D

Only suggestion is to use narrower wheeln on the front an maybe set the rear ones a stud into the chassis :-)

I swapped the front for 43.2x14. It looks better, closer to the wheel arches.

Rear wheels however can't be moved without impacting rear sturdiness witch is the most important thing for pull back playing. So it will stay too wide.

For pullback this is really OK.

For rear You could really extend wheelarches, so they cover better those wheels, as rear is wider than front on real one.

This one is better proportioned IMHO. Nice livery 

9 hours ago, Jurss said:

For pullback this is really OK.

For rear You could really extend wheelarches, so they cover better those wheels, as rear is wider than front on real one.

1 hour ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

I like this one a lot!
And agree with @Jurss, you could set the rear wheelarches one stud wider. I think it would even help with the looks since, as was said, the rear actually is wider on the real car.

Rear is already 2 studs wider. beacuse, as was said, the rear is actually wider. 2 studs wider match the blueprint quite well but I will try 4 studs wider because accentuating the signature caracteristics seems meaningfull to me.

The left side of the car is 1s wider than before:

y4mLPJS_6yZnGjQoWN7TpY6INE_PT1n38Cj8nutc

y4mFKU_inv0EBEA_rPl9vs42V6IeVPiLwGuKFvL1

y4mru6jNXVVJ-5jDC2ZmIw-EZBoK3RIGMgYmPP7L

4 minutes ago, JoKo said:

Rear is already 2 studs wider.

Yes indeed, sorry.

Well 2 full studs wider gets too wide in my opinion. Maybe half a stud on each side would do the trick? I reckon it's a bit more complicated to build, but at this scale, half a stud sometimes makes all the difference.. :wink:

22 minutes ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Yes indeed, sorry.

Well 2 full studs wider gets too wide in my opinion. Maybe half a stud on each side would do the trick? I reckon it's a bit more complicated to build, but at this scale, half a stud sometimes makes all the difference.. :wink:

I can make the front of the wheelarch 1.5s wider (each side ) that's indeed the perfect width for my eye. It makes the width difference more obvious than 1s and match the dark gray grills. On the rear of the car stays 2s as before. I know it's illegal but I've done worse in my life. It keeps the toy's sturdiness as it's a pull-back.

y4m2w3IN8vXTBMOOScYFeI5B8bfuKYPdKSfH3j0t

y4mjPWETjDxZClbD8XsBjxCaQXNqoW2jgcQ5QuW6

Edited by JoKo

Very cool model, I watched them everywhere when I was younger so I recognice it perfectly, even the seats are cool, the little drifting is the icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, JoKo said:

Rear is already 2 studs wider.

Didn't looked like that. If not mistaken, front is also wider than middle part. 

One stud extension is OK for the scale.

So You scaled this car? But it doesn't look, that wheel size was used as reference.

It should be something like this (but could be too heavy for pullback. At least one)

800x441.JPG

I think, I could try to remake this, as I also have those new small wheelarches. But they could be too small.

34 minutes ago, Jurss said:

So You scaled this car? But it doesn't look, that wheel size was used as reference.

You're right. wheels are too big. The closest in diameter to the drawing I used are 37mm front and 43.2 rear. See the picture below. I dont like the look of 37 tires because of wheel proportions. Tire sidewalls are so small, realy doesn'tt fit a car from this time. I pushed the tire on the large side with 43.2mm front (not so far from scale) and an excessive 49.5 rear which is for me "accentuating a signature thing of the car".

y4m8w16b2rYrYEhQyEN6wxVeZmXWUIWGqXhICTrR

Edited by JoKo

37 minutes ago, Jurss said:

I think, I could try to remake this, as I also have those new small wheelarches. But they could be too small.

They fit 43.2 with steering and even 49.5 for rear so it should match your scale I think

Publish a photo with this one and the Lancia together!

2 hours ago, mpj said:

Publish a photo with this one and the Lancia together!

As You can see, the scale is not really the same.

y4moGpwfImSQIJyCSD8xDckoIQxa469Jh-DD2Qbp

And with my 42138 Mustang Shellby(MOD) for size reference:

y4mn5NLeUl2u7jIhCFlZjbznyH0c38JAoTBG2nv1

y4mGu3kmp8RQFP6ghGwC3wczM3OE1hvFSrSFq_hW

21 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Very cool model, I watched them everywhere when I was younger so I recognice it perfectly, even the seats are cool, the little drifting is the icing on the cake.

Thank you! I have never seen any group B car IRL and I'm too youg to have seen them race. I'm born just when goup B closed. I'ts nice to have a message frome someone who watched them race.

I'm not totally happy with the seats. they look cool when doors are closed only

On 5/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, MinusAndy said:

The side view of this is bang on! Nice job man. 

23 hours ago, 1gor said:

This one is better proportioned IMHO. Nice livery 

Thanks! I have to confess this one was  easyer to model, the shape is simpler.

Great models. easy to recognize great colors. Minimum means maximum effect. Clean design. 

Edited by Samolot