Mad Spandy

[MOC/MOD] Death Star based on The Globe 21332

Hello everyone!

I have tried my hand at adapting the new set The Globe 21332 into a Death Star I model. This mostly involved colour swapping the exterior to grey and then adding the dish for the superlaser. It took a few attempts to get the dish set in correctly so that it doesn't stick out from the sphere. Next I filled in the gaps around the dish to close it all up.

51830675883_7bb490e233.jpg

I also created a simple build to add the superlaser effect that is easily removable.

51830905334_dcf7fda3eb.jpg

Here it is without the super laser effect. There is still a bit of a gap around the dish, but it actually kind of fits with the rest of the gaps seen throughout the model.

51831283240_7717f3c277.jpg

One last picture with the dish removed. You can see the attachment point and some of the shaping I put behind the dish to try and fill in some of the gaps.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Mad Spandy
changed title for clarity

Oh good, I was wondering how soon someone would do this.  Now let's see it in the brick!

"And so it begins" :D :D :D

Jokes notwithstanding that's a really nice conversion and the superlaser dish looks very well integrated

7 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

"That's no moon...."

Pretty spiffy. :)

Thanks!

7 hours ago, icm said:

Oh good, I was wondering how soon someone would do this.  Now let's see it in the brick!

I would love to, maybe once The Globe is released.

7 hours ago, Per_SW said:

"And so it begins" :D :D :D

Jokes notwithstanding that's a really nice conversion and the superlaser dish looks very well integrated

Thanks, it took a few tries to get the dish right.

4 hours ago, LDigital said:

I knew this would happen, just not this fast. Excellent 

Haha yeah, I was a bit surprised that no one beat me to it.

Well, that was quick! :laugh: Looks quite good in terms of shape and proportions between overall size and superlaser dish.

I'm wondering, could the surface plates throughout the entire model be made a brick thick like the section around the superlaser dish instead of one plate thick? That would allow for the replacement of 6x6 studded plates by 6x6 SNOT sections that, by combining 1xX plates, 1xX tiles and 1x2 jumper plates, I'm sure would create a very subtle but nice texture resembling the film model.

Just perfect, would love to have that on the spinning stand thing that the normal globe is on

When I saw the Globe, I knew it was the answer to the Death Star II fragility issue. Kudos to recreating the original Death Star exterior in the new style. Now, where's that unshielded exhaust port?

10 hours ago, Roses said:

Well, that was quick! :laugh: Looks quite good in terms of shape and proportions between overall size and superlaser dish.

I'm wondering, could the surface plates throughout the entire model be made a brick thick like the section around the superlaser dish instead of one plate thick? That would allow for the replacement of 6x6 studded plates by 6x6 SNOT sections that, by combining 1xX plates, 1xX tiles and 1x2 jumper plates, I'm sure would create a very subtle but nice texture resembling the film model.

That would be tough, there is not much room for extra thickness with the internal design and it could make larger gaps but it's definitely worth trying.

3 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Just perfect, would love to have that on the spinning stand thing that the normal globe is on

Just got to be careful that you don't spin off the laser effect :laugh:

31 minutes ago, MAVERICK26 said:

Wow! I'm guessing you weren't able to find a piece for the top?

The dishes exist, Studio doesn't seem to like lining up the clips and steering wheels that attach to the top. Since my main focus was adding the superlaser dish I didn't bother adding it. I may continue working on it and add more of the internal structure and the dishes that cap off the poles.

28 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

When I saw the Globe, I knew it was the answer to the Death Star II fragility issue. Kudos to recreating the original Death Star exterior in the new style. Now, where's that unshielded exhaust port?

Death Star II would be fun project, it's pretty easy to remove the individual sections of paneling to make the space needed for that MOD. Not sure that exhaust port would show up at this scale :laugh:

Edited by Mad Spandy

Where are the pics? You were named in a YouTube video for your Death Star mod for the Globe and now I can't see what you did.