Clone OPatra

Super Mario 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

I went to Target yesterday to see if they had any of the figure packs and there were a few. ALL ripped open. Doesn't bode well for the new CMFs being in boxes either. Although it meant I could find the two that I wanted very easily!

On 9/29/2022 at 10:56 AM, RichardGoring said:

I went to Target yesterday to see if they had any of the figure packs and there were a few. ALL ripped open. Doesn't bode well for the new CMFs being in boxes either. Although it meant I could find the two that I wanted very easily!

Agreed with you - CMF will suffer the same fate Super Mario Series had.

what did you get, by the way?

10 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed with you - CMF will suffer the same fate Super Mario Series had.

what did you get, by the way?

Nabbit and purple toad. They're really very good.

37 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Are we actually expecting Mario movie-related sets?

We probably would've heard about it by now, but it's anyone's guess. Lego has done a competent job at keeping stuff from this theme from leaking (relatively speaking), so it's not totally out of the question.

I couldn't care less about the movie, but the character models are pretty close to the games, and even though movie-Mario looks weird, the differences are so minute the LEGO figure could look just like both the movie and game model.

I feel like like my phrasing is off, but I'm too tired rn to try to do better, I hope I get my point across.

I also wonder if the Minions sets improve or decreased the chances for sets based on this movie. TLG now has a relationship with Illumination, but judging by the sale bins, the Minions sets didn't exactly sell great.

8 hours ago, Alegrispa said:

I also wonder if the Minions sets improve or decreased the chances for sets based on this movie. TLG now has a relationship with Illumination, but judging by the sale bins, the Minions sets didn't exactly sell great.

To be fair, the fact that the sets were released 2 years before the movie came out certainly didn't help.

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

...wow.

Big surprise, Chris Pratt just sounds like Chris Pratt.

I hate it.

Well…we are not talking about the actors here. We are talking about lego stuff, you know….

I recently built a bunch of this year's sets (the Luigi's Mansion sets and several of the summer sets), so I figured I'd share my thoughts.

The Luigi's Mansion sets are neat (and were very good for getting me in the Halloween spirit), but they weren't my favorite. The button to activate the Poltergust, while clever, requires a little more dexterity than usual for these sets to keep the button pressed while jumping/scanning. And while the mansion scenes are neat, they require a LOT of space to set up and arrange—all for a less impressive overall visual composition than the Peach's Castle or Bowser's Castle sets.

Speaking of Peach's Castle, I was really impressed with that set. It's a setting I've wanted to be made into a set for a while, and the rotating centerpiece and curtain wall both look stellar. I also LOVE the Goomba-in-a-cake feature, which is totally charming. Today I built the Cat Peach Frozen Tower set and was more impressed with it than I thought I'd be—while it's slightly less visually cohesive than the main castle set (and only really having one new enemy), there's quite a lot of well-organized play features packed into that one central structure (almost the inverse of something like the Luigi's Mansion Haunt and Seek, which has a lot of playability but spread over a fairly massive area).

The Big Spike Cloudtop Challenge was another fun set—the titular enemy is incredibly well-designed and the beanstalks and pivoting platform are great too. The Piranha Plant I could take or leave... there's been a lot of sets using those in various ways but the build is starting to feel a little stale for that particular enemy.

Maybe my favorite of the new sets, though, is the Big Bad Island set. I love the Koopalings in general but Iggy is particularly great, as are both of the larger enemies (especially the Goomba with its shuffling feet!) The landscaped features of the set are quite effective and complement the enemies well, and overall for a mid-sized set it has a ton of appeal.

I recently bought a complete set of the latest series of character packs, but haven't built them yet—I like to space those out to help scratch my Lego-building itch for a while. And I probably will be saving the Mighty Bowser set to be the main item on my Christmas wishlist.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Maybe my favorite of the new sets, though, is the Big Bad Island set. I love the Koopalings in general but Iggy is particularly great, as are both of the larger enemies (especially the Goomba with its shuffling feet!) The landscaped features of the set are quite effective and complement the enemies well, and overall for a mid-sized set it has a ton of appeal.

I've had my eye on that one for a while too! Love all the oversized builds and the references to specific games, but I might have to wait for a sale

On 10/14/2022 at 7:55 PM, Lyichir said:

ming.

For some reason i couldn’t type any words in the post above. 
But i was wondering how the tower and Peach castle look like together. Because they look like they need to be together, but Peach’ castle doesn’t have that tower in the games. 

Edited by Borex
Ah merged! Whoop whoop

I built the Mighty Bowser this week and was really impressed. It was great fun and very clever. It also looks fabulous. The base was a little tiresome and doesn't really add much. And within literally five minutes of my children playing with it, the head came loose, which was a pain to fix. The fireball firing mechanism isn't terribly reliable either. But those things are all pretty minor compared to the rest of it. Other than the 'small' head falling off issue, it's surprisingly solid and stable. I'm really pleased that I got it.

Birdooooooo! Yeah! 
little spike, blue yoshi, wendy, ice world with weird pieces, conkdorr, green toad, pom pom, blooper and his babies. What a nice wave. 
too bad the big ice world also has the baby penguin we already got in the collectable series, i would rather had an ice spike or frost piranha plant

The new Super Mario Bros. Movie Trailer looks great! The film seems to be pulling from all areas of the property’s rich and diverse history and I’m all for it.

Definitely beating a dead horse here, but I sincerely hope we’ll finally get a wave of minifigure-scaled sets if only to coincide with the film. There’s so much from the trailer alone that would make for some excellent sets.

Of course, that doesn’t seem too likely as confirmation of any sets related to the film would have been leaked by now given that it’s an April release, and the January wave has already been revealed anyway.

Really interested to see what awaits the theme next summer! I don’t collect this line but all the buildable characters and interactive level designs are brilliantly thought-out.

Edited by Kaijumeister

1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

The new Super Mario Bros. Movie Trailer looks great! The film seems to be pulling from all areas of the property’s rich and diverse history and I’m all for it.

Definitely beating a dead horse here, but I sincerely hope we’ll finally get a wave of minifigure-scaled sets if only to coincide with the film. There’s so much from the trailer alone that would make for some excellent sets.

Of course, that doesn’t seem too likely as confirmation of any sets related to the film would have been leaked by now given that it’s an April release, and the January wave has already been revealed anyway.

Really interested to see what awaits the theme next summer! I don’t collect this line but all the buildable characters and interactive level designs are brilliantly thought-out.

That would be so in character of Lego to give us minifigure sets based on the movie before propper minifigure sets based on the games

It helps that the visual stye of the film, outside of a few minor quirks, is very much in alignment with the 2D and 3D Mario games.

But as per above, I don’t think it’ll happen anyway. Lego seem quite set on just following their digi-figure approach so I’m sure the summer wave will just be more of that.

Are there any unboxing videos/images out yet of the new buildable character series? And specifically the order of who’s where in the boxes? I don’t know if i want all of them this time, but i really want Birdo and i want Ice Bro and Spike twice if possible 

Edited by Borex

On 12/17/2022 at 8:23 AM, Borex said:

And specifically the order of who’s where in the boxes? 

The order in my box was (front to back):

• Ice Bro
  • Bloopers
  • Birdo
  • Toad
  • Spike
  • Bramball
  • Sumo Bro
  • Cat Goombas

Not sure how representative that is :shrug_oh_well: Also, I only opened all of the packs on the left row

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

On 12/20/2022 at 12:45 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

The order in my box was (front to back):

• Ice Bro
  • Bloopers
  • Birdo
  • Toad
  • Spike
  • Bramball
  • Sumo Bro
  • Cat Goombas

Not sure how representative that is :shrug_oh_well: Also, I only opened all of the packs on the left row

Thanks! 

which of the new ones is your favorite? 

2 hours ago, Borex said:

Thanks! 

which of the new ones is your favorite? 

Definitely Birdo :thumbup: They’re all well-realised, but Birdo, Ice Bro, and Blooper are my faves of this series.

Wonder what Series 7 (already?!) has in store for us next summer!