Once again some great sci-fi Ideas - licensed theme and space ones - are failing, some of them not even reaching 1.000 supporters or barely surpassing that amount. I am not sure if I can link the pages, you can check by yourselves if you care about it. I am sick of analyzing the reasons or philosophically debating about it or noticing that Lego never advertise these projects among the staff picks.

No more words, designers have done their part, now it's time for us to act.

I turn to afols having facebook or flickr or blogs or youtube channels, whether you like sci-fi or not, we are talking of beautiful Lego models that deserve not only your support but your active help to be properly promoted in order to reach 10.000 supporters. Then let's see what happens, with the knowledge that a final review with Ideas imagining the future is a benefit for the whole afols' community. 

The time of crocodile tears is over, if we want sci-fi Ideas to stand a chance, everyone has to do their share!     

I agree with you 100%

I try to support sci-fi ideas when I see them, especially Classic Space themed ones. It breaks my heart when I find a project that won't make it.  A good example is Red Dwarf Starbug.  One design made it to 10K but wasn't selected and I knew there was another one working on support.  Currently it is at 2503 votes but only has 34 days left to reach 5000

I knew it wouldn't be easy when I posted my Ideas project, but it has definitely been an uphill fight every step of the way. For the most part, I need to rely on the LEGO communities like here and social media. Unlike ideas from pop culture TV shows and movies (like Seinfeld and the Office)  where people can tap into the fanbase of those properties as well

Lego's principle is never to accept an idea, the range of which already exists, or that they will release it in the following years. There is all the theme Mars Exploration (2020); and 3 sets creator 3x1 (2020-2021) with classic-space logo. From that moment, everything that will be offered in classic space, for 3 years, will go to the trash. There is no point in voting. In addition, in 2022 there are 3 new sets, with the classic space logo, based on Mars Exploration + Creator 3x1 So 2022 + 3 years = 2025. There is no point in voting for a classic space idea, until 2025. Lego will throw the idea into the trashbin. There has never been an exception to this unwritten rule.
It's like modular. A modular has never been accepted. NEVER ! The theme is still edited. So we laugh at these votes, they are useless. You vote for nothing in these ideas. And the creators post for nothing, because the result is already known.

What's new in LEGO City for March 2022  => logo space classic
LEGO 60348 Mond-Rover
LEGO 60349 Lunar Space Station
LEGO 60350 Lunar Research Base 

+and there is a rumor for the Series 22 minifig = a purple spaceman with the classic-space logo, and an alien head. It's an easter-eggs, for these 3 sets.

wyc8.jpg

Ideas with the space classic logo have no interest until 2025 (+3 years of production of a series/theme/sets).

it's like the Japanese / Chinese temples/dojo in lego ideas => trash can, because double, with Ninjago, and the seasonal sets for China.

d4wh.jpg
lh5c.jpg
d4wh.jpg

What you do not understand in: lego ideas never accepts ideas that are duplicated, with them, up to +3 years, from the date of release?
Edited by Horlack Bricks

On 10/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, astral brick said:

I turn to afols having facebook or flickr or blogs or youtube channels, whether you like sci-fi or not, we are talking of beautiful Lego models that deserve not only your support but your active help to be properly promoted in order to reach 10.000 supporters. Then let's see what happens, with the knowledge that a final review with Ideas imagining the future is a benefit for the whole afols' community.

Why would someone that doesn't like sci-fi promote sci-fi models? There are plenty of other themed ideas that look great builds but not an interesting subject matter to me, and I don't vote for them, let alone promote them elsewhere. After all, LEGO adapt the models anyway. You are not really voting for the build, but the subject matter.

13 hours ago, Horlack Bricks said:

There is no point in voting for a classic space idea, until 2025. Lego will throw the idea into the trashbin. There has never been an exception to this unwritten rule.

There is a flaw in your logic. There have been several examples of exceptions

In 2014 the Exo-Suit was released, clearly space themed with 2 green space suits.  This followed the Alien Conquest space theme in 2011 and Galaxy Squad space theme in 2013. Not to mention Benny and the other LEGO Movie sets that also came out in 2014.

In terms of the CMFs, there are one or two space themed figures in a lot of the series over the years

The Pirates of Barracuda Bay and the Creator 3-in-1 Pirate Ship were both released in 2020

And this year they released both the Medieval Blacksmith and the Creator 3-in-1 Medieval Castle

21 hours ago, Horlack Bricks said:

+and there is a rumor for the Series 22 minifig = a purple spaceman with the classic-space logo, and an alien head. It's an easter-eggs, for these 3 sets.

Just pointing out that the "Moon Warrior" is going to be an historical/fantasy figure, as it was described by Promobricks to have a sword and a shield with crescent moon print (rather than as some kind of space-warrior). 

Edited by Darkdragon
Please don't quote images.

There's still a chance we'll see those "Classic Space" logo inspired figures in the 2022 City sets  :

BTL_ModDetail_24_FullFocus.png?auto=webp

https://education.lego.com/en-us/build-to-launch#teacher-resources

It lists those 8 characters with names and backgrounds here as well : 

https://education.lego.com/v3/assets/blt293eea581807678a/blt982122bda12c4541/612e2b2e8e16ab655b347a1a/LEGO_Space_Team_Cards_8.5x11.pdf

For the Kate Character, it says "Professional Background : LEGO City commercial pilot."

Edited by TeriXeri

23 hours ago, DelQuinn said:

I agree with you 100%

I try to support sci-fi ideas when I see them, especially Classic Space themed ones. It breaks my heart when I find a project that won't make it.

You are not the only one, thank you for your answer. I hope that you will receive the support that you deserve.

6 hours ago, MAB said:

Why would someone that doesn't like sci-fi promote sci-fi models?

Because I think afols should support well done models even if they are not interested in the themes to which they belong.

19 hours ago, Horlack Bricks said:

It's like modular. A modular has never been accepted. NEVER ! The theme is still edited. So we laugh at these votes, they are useless. You vote for nothing in these ideas. And the creators post for nothing, because the result is already known.

I generally vote for the modulars I like even if I am not interested in the theme. I am doing it because I want to reward the time and effort of the designers and the fact that they never give up.

I am rewarding technique, aestethic and perseverance by helping what I consider a good Idea to reach the final stage of the review. I couldn't care less if a modular -  or whatever model from other themes - has few or zero chances to be chosen at the end, actually knowing that make me want to support these projects even more.  

On 10/31/2021 at 6:25 PM, astral brick said:

Exactly what are you proposing? This is what already happens. We all support the Ideas we like. Sometimes a set I like gets put into production, some other times not. I don't see a problem here. My suggestion is to not care about Lego Ideas at all. It is a lost cause. 

Can't you just build Sci-Fi MOCs? Why do you think we need more sci-fi themes and sets?

Monkie Kid going to Space, Friends getting a Space Academy set, City going to the Moon, and then the possibility of something 90th anniversary as well, 2022 has some sci-fi potential.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, o0ger said:

Can't you just build Sci-Fi MOCs? Why do you think we need more sci-fi themes and sets?

MOCs are not a substitute for sets

1 hour ago, danth said:

MOCs are not a substitute for sets

No, you are right. But what more specifically is it you want? Right now there are many new Star Wars sets and there are also Marvel Eternals sets that I would consider Sci-Fi. Monkie Kid also has some really cool Sci-Fi themed sets. 

39 minutes ago, o0ger said:

No, you are right. But what more specifically is it you want? Right now there are many new Star Wars sets and there are also Marvel Eternals sets that I would consider Sci-Fi. Monkie Kid also has some really cool Sci-Fi themed sets. 

OT both in relation to the post and the sub-forum.

47 minutes ago, o0ger said:

I don't understand how anyone could seriously ask this question as if the answer wasn't obvious.

What Space themes has Lego released in the past? Go look at them. That's what we want, updated for the present year of course.

This isn't the Star Wars or Licensed sub-forum.

Ok. Please pretend I was never here. It was a mistake. You can go about your usual business now. 

Edited by o0ger

40 minutes ago, o0ger said:

Ok. Please pretend I was never here. It was a mistake. You can go about your usual business now. 

I didn't mean to imply that you weren't welcome here.

I meant that people complaining about the lack of Space/Sci-Fi sets in the Sci-Fi sub-forum are not going to be satisfied by SW/Marvel sets.

42 minutes ago, danth said:

I meant that people complaining about the lack of Space/Sci-Fi sets in the Sci-Fi sub-forum are not going to be satisfied by SW/Marvel sets.

I don't see Licensed sets as alternatives to Castle/Pirates/Space themes either.

In my opinion best non licensed sci-fi set of 2021 is 80020: White Dragon Horse Jet.

tn_80020_alt2_jpg.jpg

As for other sets that might have potential 2022 : 

- Ninjago "power ranger" type mech that splits in multiple vehicles.

- Monkie Kid sets we haven't seen , who knows that Rocket set is actual part of going somewhere into space like a Base ?

- Possible Classic Space logos on City 2022 space outfits.

- 2023-2024 would be higher chance for anything Space via 3-in-1 as some current sets would retire

- And as discussed before there's still the 90th anniversary set (sorry bionicle fans, I don't think CCBS represents 90 year of LEGO as well as Classic Space which got #2 in that vote), and also remember LEGO did pick the orange spacemen as their figure for their last Visual Guide, and the latest CMF has a purple Classic Space Torso + all that Target Merch doesn't seem that random anymore.

Or is LEGO just teasing so much??

I know nothing of this is a replacement for a full Castle/Pirate/Space theme , unless LEGO decides to do more then just 1 set for their 90th anniversary, I don't think 2022 will have more then this.

Maybe the upcoming Moon Landing (currently delayed to 2025), and the new James Webb Telescope could have some renewed interest in Space, alongside sales numbers of all the above stuff.

I have no doubt that the Space Shuttle might've been one of the big inspirations of the Classic Space theme, and at the same time , the late 70s also had the first Star Wars and Star Trek movies, and currently we might be in a second type of Space Race to the moon in the coming decade.

Edited by TeriXeri

Admittedly, I have done a pretty job of keeping up with LEGO Ideas submissions except when they catch my attention here on Eurobricks or on social media. But this thread was a good reminder to browse some of the space projects currently gathering approval. I just went ahead and supported this one which is very much the sort of thing I was recently thinking could be a nifty Classic Space throwback set, and this one which appeals to my nostalgia for the Spyrius faction from my own childhood (though it sadly doesn't have nearly enough supporters to come anywhere close to that 10,000 mark before the deadline).

I'm less thrilled with this one as a MOC, since it uses a lot of digital-only recolors that feel a little implausible for an actual set, but I absolutely love the concept and would be thrilled to see a set inspired by that sort of design on store shelves. Closest I think we've had to that particular flavor of old-school sci-fi aesthetics is Queen Watevra's Space Palace, and its specific role as the home base of a particular faction was very different conceptually than this sort of bustling hub for travelers from across the cosmos.

I have never submitted any Ideas projects myself so I'm not really sure if there's anything else that Space builders could/should be doing to try and command more attention during this "gathering support" phase, or to design projects that more people will be willing to support. But I would definitely love to see a LEGO Ideas sci-fi set that's as impressive as stuff like the Medieval Blacksmith, Tree House, or Barracuda Bay.

Anyway, looking through this stuff sort of has me in a MOCing mood, so maybe I should dabble in some spaceship builds myself… been a while since I last had a go at that. I'll try and keep tabs on this topic in case anybody else brings up any projects that Space fans might be keen on rallying around.

15 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Admittedly, I have done a pretty job of keeping up with LEGO Ideas submissions except when they catch my attention here on Eurobricks or on social media. But this thread was a good reminder to browse some of the space projects currently gathering approval. I just went ahead and supported this one which is very much the sort of thing I was recently thinking could be a nifty Classic Space throwback set, and this one which appeals to my nostalgia for the Spyrius faction from my own childhood (though it sadly doesn't have nearly enough supporters to come anywhere close to that 10,000 mark before the deadline).

I'm less thrilled with this one as a MOC, since it uses a lot of digital-only recolors that feel a little implausible for an actual set, but I absolutely love the concept and would be thrilled to see a set inspired by that sort of design on store shelves. Closest I think we've had to that particular flavor of old-school sci-fi aesthetics is Queen Watevra's Space Palace, and its specific role as the home base of a particular faction was very different conceptually than this sort of bustling hub for travelers from across the cosmos.

I have never submitted any Ideas projects myself so I'm not really sure if there's anything else that Space builders could/should be doing to try and command more attention during this "gathering support" phase, or to design projects that more people will be willing to support. But I would definitely love to see a LEGO Ideas sci-fi set that's as impressive as stuff like the Medieval Blacksmith, Tree House, or Barracuda Bay.

Anyway, looking through this stuff sort of has me in a MOCing mood, so maybe I should dabble in some spaceship builds myself… been a while since I last had a go at that. I'll try and keep tabs on this topic in case anybody else brings up any projects that Space fans might be keen on rallying around.

I supported the Classic Space Monorail one already too.  I haven't seen the Spyrius one before now, for whatever it's worth I'll go vote for it too.  I know with my LEGO Ideas project, I am struggling to gather enough support for it.  The response I've had from it has been great, awesome comments and feedback but not enough votes yet.

With mine, I want to tap into the nostalgia of Classic Space, while still trying to present something that can be displayed on a shelf as well as having playability. Trying to have something to appeal to all ages.

That's the spirit of this thread, we need to find ways to better support Classic Space and Sci-Fi projects in LEGO Ideas.  For a lot of the winners and 10K projects, they have an external audience to help guild them up (Seinfeld fans, Home Alone fans etc...) but when it comes to Sci-Fi, we have very little places to expand to from the LEGO communities and fans.

I know recently there has been a few licensed sci-fi ideas make it to 10K like Red Dwarf and Futurama.  I don't know why they were not selected, for all I know, LEGO couldn't secure licensing agreements for them.  But I was looking around the expired and not approved projects, the only time a Classic Space project made it to 10K was the Exo-Suit and it was selected and made into a set. So looking at it this wasy, Classic Space was selected 100% of the time it made it to the end.  I know this doesn't guarantee anything in the future, but does give me hope.

So, what was the big reveal of the 90th anniversary for a classic line from the TLG? My indications were complete being “Space” since I gave up on ever seeing Castle or Pirate sets. 

Are they merging City + Space now? So confused, all I see are just these lines for Winter 2022 already announced but nothing classic

16 hours ago, eldiano said:

So, what was the big reveal of the 90th anniversary for a classic line from the TLG? My indications were complete being “Space” since I gave up on ever seeing Castle or Pirate sets. 

Are they merging City + Space now? So confused, all I see are just these lines for Winter 2022 already announced but nothing classic

There hasn't been any reveal for the 90th anniversary set yet and we may not get that reveal until next year. Aside from that, rumored sets for next year include another space subtheme of City, at least one space-related set in Friends, and at least one (already revealed) spaceship for Monkie Kid.

23 hours ago, eldiano said:

There was no reveal , but Classic Space was the 2nd in that vote behind Bionicle, and its just my personal opinion that Bionicle isn't iconic enough for a 90th anniversary, however Bionicle is not forgotten as there have been stickers in sets with Bionicle references, so maybe I'm wrong, but I personally see LEGO Bricks more iconic instead of CCBS that didn't exist for at least the first 50 years of LEGO bricks (1949-1999, 1999 was when Slizers appeared, which were the first ancestors of the Bionicle system imo)

I mean, LEGO had CCBS up to 2018 with the buildable figures, so it's still about 20 years of LEGO history, 15 of which Bionicle, which is still notable for sure.

Chima had a CCBS line, just before the reboot of bionicle, I'm not sure how those reboot Bionicles sold, or the Star Wars buildable figures up toward 2018, but 2014-2016 seems to have been some turnaround point for LEGO, after that a lot of sets started to use mixel joints, Nexo Knight battle suits carried their legacy somewhat with the smaller Marvel Mechs nowadays as well.

I know a few sets aren't enough to set a trend but the recent sets seem to signal a preference to brick based action figures. it still has the legacy of CCBS and mixels in terms of ball joints but the bulk are bricks/plates/tiles.

76155_alt5.jpg76206_alt1.jpg

Just a note, I have nothing against Bionicle or it's fans, I was a big  Slizer collector before I had a 15 year break of LEGO so I never got into Bionicle itself.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 11/24/2021 at 3:46 PM, TeriXeri said:

There was no reveal , but Classic Space was the 2nd in that vote behind Bionicle, and its just my personal opinion that Bionicle isn't iconic enough for a 90th anniversary, however Bionicle is not forgotten as there have been stickers in sets with Bionicle references, so maybe I'm wrong, but I personally see LEGO Bricks more iconic instead of CCBS that didn't exist for at least the first 50 years of LEGO bricks (1949-1999, 1999 was when Slizers appeared, which were the first ancestors of the Bionicle system imo)

I mean, LEGO had CCBS up to 2018 with the buildable figures, so it's still about 20 years of LEGO history, 15 of which Bionicle, which is still notable for sure.

Chima had a CCBS line, just before the reboot of bionicle, I'm not sure how those reboot Bionicles sold, or the Star Wars buildable figures up toward 2018, but 2014-2016 seems to have been some turnaround point for LEGO, after that a lot of sets started to use mixel joints, Nexo Knight battle suits carried their legacy somewhat with the smaller Marvel Mechs nowadays as well.

I know a few sets aren't enough to set a trend but the recent sets seem to signal a preference to brick based action figures. it still has the legacy of CCBS and mixels in terms of ball joints but the bulk are bricks/plates/tiles.

76155_alt5.jpg76206_alt1.jpg

Just a note, I have nothing against Bionicle or it's fans, I was a big  Slizer collector before I had a 15 year break of LEGO so I never got into Bionicle itself.

Yeah, Bionicle has a long legacy and a passionate fanbase but it's been a long and meandering road for it compared to many other less experimental themes. And you're right that these days System-based action figures or mechs seem to be the current trend (aided in part by the proliferation of things like sloped details for shaping and things like joints and brackets that can allow for both articulation and rigidity in ways that used to be more or less unachievable without more rigid limb parts and Technic connections).

When the anniversary poll went up I honestly never expected a set based on the Bionicle building system (either the classic one or the refined CCBS system). Both systems rely heavily on parts that are out of production and would be unlikely to be brought back for a one-off anniversary set. More likely in my eyes if it won at all would be something like a System-based tribute set, such as a figure or mask sculpture or possibly an articulated System-based figure (the likeliest candidate for that being the Mata Nui robot that never appeared in set form but was central to the original theme's saga in a very literal sense, and had a visual aesthetic that was probably better suited to a System build than a Technic one anyway).

It remains to be seen what Lego opts for for the anniversary set. I would think something easier to adapt faithfully like Space or Castle would be more likely than Bionicle regardless of how it did in the poll, but a part of me wouldn't rule it out entirely. If nothing else its performance in the poll could signal to Lego the viability of some sort of tribute set even if this particular anniversary set doesn't end up being the place for it.

So the Space sets for City although inspiring are nowhere near “classic”. I love the lunar base more than anything it reminds me of a lil’ playmates space set I had growing up but lolol oh well