Bob De Quatre

[MOC] The Uterceptor - UCS U-Wing / Tie Interceptor ugly

The Uterceptor, Zar Mioln's personnal starfighter, was built from a damaged U-Wing salvagedby the Dawn's Raiders Guild from a recent space battle opposing the Rebellion and the Empire. After being brought into the Harvester's main hangar, the U-Wing damages were assessed. The ship lost its starboard engines, wing and door, but was otherwise in good condition. Wingss and twin ion engines from Tie Interceptors were used to repair the U-Wing. The missing door was replaced by armor plates and a missile launcher pod was added.
  The Uterceptor is used as a command and support ship, adding firepower to salvage parties when needed. Due to its shape, it can't land anywere but on a specific dock inside the Harvester's hangar.

51334300124_b8c486d5ee_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51334575755_e4c2874af5_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51333791383_d2dcdcbfb4_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

Finally done... It all started as a micro build last year, and I decided to start working on it during the last lockdown. I bought books to have access to schematics of both U-Wing and Tie Interceptor and made lots of measurements to get all the shapes and angles right. Of course it's not perfect as I had to make some choices. Sometimes getting one part right was messing up another part... I also faced difficuties adding details on the inside, as the measurements of the interior didn't quite matched the space available.

I also tried not to look at other UCS sized U-Wing. I just compared solutions used on a few areas. I decided not to use the UCS X-Wing canopy as its shape isn't really great for the U-Wing, and switched for a "no glass" solution that I'm not completely happy with.

I also tried Light My Bricks stuff for the first time, and it was a really great experience. I'm impressed by the small size of the leds and wires.

Anyway, I hope you'll like it. It was a really great experience building this "Ugly"

51332845792_76ea8d6ac5_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51332845807_575b4e3103_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51332845777_8b614524ee_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51334575655_29242562c4_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51332845757_dd29b65daf_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51332845577_4ca3a7c245_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51332845627_dc7e012af1_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51334299929_884615ce6e_c.jpgThe Uterceptor by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

51202088368_1c4709419f_c.jpgScaling up... by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

Impressive! Gives me almost two-face vibes, I like that you've made the damage on the interceptor side apparent and created your own u-wing design, instead of just slapping an interceptor wing on 75155.

*huh* Oh man, this thing speaks to me!

First of all - excellent photography!  Really deep, crisp images - yet dark.  Your lighting and background choices really make this vehicle POP!

The blue/grey/white treatment colors the U-wing perfectly, then the trademark black/grey of the TIE provides an interesting contrast - I can study these photos for hours.  All the different angled plate sections on the underside of the U-wing look particularly great.  A completely decked-out interior - nice!  I would welcome a UCS version of this ship, but I'm not holding my breath.  Nice touch on the white trim of the display stand.

Fug-tastic looking ship, thank you for sharing!

Beautiful work, Bob! :wub: Very clean lines, and I love the transition between the two ships' color schemes.

I love a good Ugly. And this is probably the best I've seen! Fantastic work!

Thanks everyone :sweet:
I have a thing for uglies since I was a kid :grin:

19 hours ago, lowlead said:

*huh* Oh man, this thing speaks to me!

First of all - excellent photography!  Really deep, crisp images - yet dark.  Your lighting and background choices really make this vehicle POP!

The blue/grey/white treatment colors the U-wing perfectly, then the trademark black/grey of the TIE provides an interesting contrast - I can study these photos for hours.  All the different angled plate sections on the underside of the U-wing look particularly great.  A completely decked-out interior - nice!  I would welcome a UCS version of this ship, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Thanks, I soent way too much time on these pictures.

Well it is UCS sized. It should have roughly the sale size as @StarBricks U-Wing.

This is absolutely amazing, the u-wing is probably my favorote ship in star wars, and the TIE interceptor is my favorite TIE variant. Everything is done almost perfectly to capture all of the proper details the u-wing has. 

this is amazing! i love a good interior and this definitely has it. and the seamless way you combined the two ships is very impressive. 

On 7/27/2021 at 1:12 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

This is absolutely amazing, the u-wing is probably my favorote ship in star wars, and the TIE interceptor is my favorite TIE variant. Everything is done almost perfectly to capture all of the proper details the u-wing has. 

Thanks. I spent a lot of time measuring the schematics to get the sizes as close as possible to the real thing.

I was not that fond of the U-Wing before working on it, and now I find it very interesting. And I always loved the Tie Interceptor!

3 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Thanks. I spent a lot of time measuring the schematics to get the sizes as close as possible to the real thing.

I was not that fond of the U-Wing before working on it, and now I find it very interesting. And I always loved the Tie Interceptor!

I do think I see 1 problem.

The TIE interceptor wing is way too big to scale with the u-wing.

I think, I haven't seen the 2 of them next to each other.

I didn’t know I needed ugly UCS models. Excellent work! I like that you built a mini one to go with it.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

I do think I see 1 problem.

The TIE interceptor wing is way too big to scale with the u-wing.

I think, I haven't seen the 2 of them next to each other.

According to Wookiepedia, the size of the wing is pretty good. A Tie Interceptor is 9.5m long while the U-Wing is almost 24m, so the Intercptor wing is almost 1/2 the length of the U-Wing.

I based my calculation on the "Owner's Workshop Manual" books for both Alliance and Tie Fighhter (https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Fighter-Owners-Workshop/dp/1683835271 https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Starfighters-Owners-Workshop/dp/1683839366)

On 8/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, Brikkyy13 said:

I didn’t know I needed ugly UCS models. Excellent work! I like that you built a mini one to go with it.

Everyone should need a UCS ugly! :sweet:

4 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

According to Wookiepedia, the size of the wing is pretty good. A Tie Interceptor is 9.5m long while the U-Wing is almost 24m, so the Intercptor wing is almost 1/2 the length of the U-Wing.

Ok, I did not know that. I was going off what I remember of Return of the Jedi, so scale is always an issue. Still looks amazing though.

Wow, that is quite the beast, amazing idea and execution! My first thought when seeing this was about the stability of the ship and it comically spinning out of control after takeoff :grin: