It may come as a surprise but I really don't enjoy being negative towards LEGO sets. So it came as a relief to me that 42128 seems to be one of the best Technic products in the last few years, and it's incredibly reasonably priced on top of that. Fans of trucks, of highly functional Technic sets and of pneumatics should all be very happy with it, especially seeing as you can buy two of these for the price of a single Zetros set. I only wish the colors were different and the stickers less trashy, but that may just be a matter of personal test.

Edited by Sariel

Thanks again for the great review! As for the colors, did you notice any color inconsistencies?

Very nice review!

Now, is there any reasonable argument, other than space restrictions, not to use a buffer volume with any implementation of pneumatics? I mean, it does not make sense to pressurize a comparably small volume, and then let the ideal gas law do the work. Well, better phrased, the 1st law of Thermodynamics - as the second law is far away from making an impact here.

What is the rational here?

Best
Thorsten

I am actually quite surprised to see a pneumatic set with such a high part count so reasonably priced. There is still hope after all, lol.

I wonder how hard it would be to motorize this set.

I must agree - one of the best technic sets in years! Great review, as always) 

Strange thing that you have posted this 6 hours ago, and I still don't see this video on your channel( 

Great review as always! I do like some stickers in this set (the ones who show functions and the ones with lightnings, not a fan of orange Hulk either)

I have problems with cylinders stuck over time as well, on all sets.

I kinda like the geared down steering...

And only 4 and 5 stars at the final note. Thats rare!

Pneumatic actuators need to be used from time to time or else the rubber seals go bad :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Toastie said:

Very nice review!

Now, is there any reasonable argument, other than space restrictions, not to use a buffer volume with any implementation of pneumatics? I mean, it does not make sense to pressurize a comparably small volume, and then let the ideal gas law do the work. Well, better phrased, the 1st law of Thermodynamics - as the second law is far away from making an impact here.

What is the rational here?

Best
Thorsten

For a manual model an air tank is usually a good addition, but it depends on your preference to how you play. Do you like the air tank style of being able to operate functions without pumping anything but having to pause to pump to fill the air tank, or do you like to operate functions with no pausing to fill the air tank. I think both are valid options depending on preference.

For motorised pneumatic models it's a bit more tricky. Motorised pumps tend to have good pressure but at very low volumes. So for a model with less frequent use of the pneumatic functions, like a tow truck, an air tank makes a lot of sense. It can make a small, single cylinder pump feel much more capable as it continuously builds pressure. But for something like a digger/excavator, where you want continuous use of many pneumatic functions, always waiting for a tank to fill up is not good. In this situation there's no substitute for a big compressor with lots of pumps (I usually use 8 pumps for this) to give you as much pressure and volume as you'll ever want without the need for an air tank. Of course you could add one, but if you feel the need to add an air tank then I'd say your compressor isn't big enough.

Edited by allanp

Nice job, always check out your videos to see the functions in use.

Bit of a shame they did not include another pneumatic cylinder on the lift function, shame they opted for a linerar actuator here.  This really would have been a great set to launch a new lighting system to add to a set as an expansion kit.

I do like the little addition of the 2 pulley wheels on the lift at the back of the truck, so you can run the lines around these to pull in different directions, just like in ice road rescue/highway through hell or whatever it's called with Jamie Davis towing.  

Only thing I cringed at was the placement of that hood/bonet sticker on the right hand side, I can see Sarial really dislikes applying them ;-)