Sign in to follow this  
GerritvdG

[TC20] Red Forklift - 8835 studless (Free instructions)

Hello all, a month ago I started creating a studless version of my first set inspired by a Supply ship I saw at Rebrickable (8839 by @M_longer).  My first LEGO set is the 8835 Forklift, the set is quite old (1989) and the playability is not as good as the modern LEGO sets. I think because the parts are getting old and that LEGO improved the design process nowadays. The back-axle was very fragile and also the mechanism for lifting and lowering the forks was fragile and got stuck sometimes.

My goal was to create a studless version and improve the playability. While creating the studless version I found the Studless Recreation Contest on this forum and I decided to subscribe and share this model, I’m also working on instructions with stud.io for sharing on Rebrickable. 

Let's start with the original building instructions:

640x853.jpg

Edited by GerritvdG
update title

32 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Let's start with the original building instructions:

Wlcome, but You need to start with real progress.:sad:

No problem, below is the first step. I decided to make the frame 7 studs wide instead of 8 and replace the steering mechanism with a version using a lift-arm. 

640x853.jpeg

The most difficult part for me was to make the connection below. Maybe there is a better way to do this, but this works for now,

640x360.jpeg

I think it would be better if you tried to use the currently manufactured pieces as much as possible so the gears and wheels would be current ones.

Yes,idea is to make 2021. set, that looks like that old one.

Steering reaction will be very fast.

30 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Yes,idea is to make 2021. set, that looks like that old one.

Steering reaction will be very fast.

For gears that you have used already - you could do a setup that has two 12 tooth gears to angle this and 12 + 20 tooth gears vertically. The 12 tooth gear that is used to angle would be on the same axles as the 20 tooth gear, and it would be that axle that you have a 3l axle with stud in tan.

For steering reaction - just angle the steering axle with two thin gears (12+20), the original model had to do the same thing, but with different gears, unless it had a steering knob at the back.
Note that keeping it close to original is the part of the contest. Unless you want to make it smaller than original for some reason, I'd try to make mechanical features laid out the same as the original one, just with modern gears.

Thanks for the comments, that helped me with taking the next steps.

Progress-update:

• changed the gears to actual ones, used a 20 Tooth Bevel with Pin Hole to jump over the front-axle were I plan to use actual wheels;
  • attached the boom;
  • kept the liftarm for steering the back-axle, due to part limitations and it works really well;
  • start covering up the back-axle;
  • switched to dark bluish gray, because of part limitations.

The dimensions are

• width: 7 studs (original 8)
  • length: 17 studs (original 18)
  • height (boom): 15 studs (original 17)

640x480.jpeg

What's next:

The connection between the thin 20 tooth gear and 12 tooth gear like this is not a clean one and it will add some resistance to it once you pack it up with the structure that will keep the sides together.

Progress-update.

About that 20T bevel gear: yes, this added some resistance. It didn't really slip, the chain slipped before anything else. Anyway, I changed the gears in the following way:

640x480.jpeg

Furthermore good progress. I need to order the wheels and a panel, but hopefully the following pictures really shows what I have in mind.

Now, the cabin is added with HOG steering and a handle to tilt the boom/forks. De handle locks in this position.

640x480.jpeg

On the other side I added some panels, but this needs some refinement. Also the gear to lift/lower the forks as a modern interpretation of the big wheel used in the original model.

640x480.jpeg

The back of the model.

640x480.jpeg

Let me know what you think about this! Suggestions and tips are welcome. 

Edited by GerritvdG

Looks already good. Gearing is better now.

Are You planning to change to more actual wheels (You mentioned something about wheels)?

Goal is to get as close as possible to the original model, so I'm going to use 4 tires. And I don't want to grow my Lego wheel storage even bigger :wink: 

Looking good! Are you going to use 4 tires or 6 (duals on the front)?

Really happy with the progress the last couple of days. Worked on the exterior:

• added side panels
  • lowered the whole back with one stud to close the gap with the wheels and panels, luckily I found a Gear Rack 1 x 7 to replace the liftarm steering :laugh:
  • as an extra added a steering wheel, drivers seat, roof hatch and some spotlights

Next thing is to wait for my bricklink order for wheels and some parts in the correct color. 

640x480.jpeg

640x480.jpeg

640x480.jpeg

640x480.jpeg

looks really good! :thumbup:

but surely there is a better way to do these gears??

i know you say it works but it just doesn't look like a real solution to me.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:06 PM, GerritvdG said:

640x480.jpeg

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

looks really good! :thumbup:

Thanks!

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

but surely there is a better way to do these gears??

Thank you, I like the challenge to improve the design :wink:, however I don't know exactly were you pointing at.

Below an improvement, I think, with less pieces and the solution of the original set for comparison.

640x360.jpeg

Yes yes, that gear setup looks much more like a real set design :thumbup: 

well done, I think your getting a really nice finished product here.

Another progress update after receiving my bricklink order yesterday.

Updates:

• new wheels, I'm happy they fit!
  • applied the panels, thin liftarm, axels and pins in the correct color;
  • improved the panels on top of the back;
  • replaced the liftarms in the front of the cabin by connectors to resemble the plates of the original model;
  • posted the Entry topic

1280x960.jpeg1280x960.jpeg

Forklift from below, some minor adjustments to connect the front-wheels

800x600.jpeg

On my TODO-list:

• finish the digital model in Studio;
  • create a short video to show the functions.

I'm happy with the result, the nice build and with the interaction on this forum.  Thank you!

This is just a great modern version of this classic! :-)

The only thing that's not to my liking are the forks as just red axles. Liftarms would be way sturdier ;-)

yep, a beautiful studless version. Axles are a nice alternative to blocky liftarms. Anyway there were reasons why they introduced the technic forks - simply they look the best

5 hours ago, Jundis said:

The only thing that's not to my liking are the forks as just red axles. Liftarms would be way sturdier ;-)

Thanks for the comments. I wanted to created a light solution for the forks because the original ones were heavy and got stuck easily. This solution is small enough to lift pallets and this worked out really well and smooth. The axles are stronger then the weight this vehicle can lift :laugh:

A liftarm Thin 1 x 7 Red would be a good alternative..

Another progress update.

• finished the model in Studio:
    • Dimensions model:  25(L)x11(W)x19(H) studs
    • Dimensions 8835:   28(L)x12(W)x19(H) studs
    • Total parts: 297 (240 in 8835)
  • made a video of the model (my first one): used my phone car mount on my Lego drawer as tripod :laugh: