Sign in to follow this  
syclone

[C-MODEL] F1 Racecar - Italian Supercar alternative build

Good Day.
Today I present to you an alternative model built from Bruno Jenson's italian supercar - F1 racecar in 1/8 scale. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dsc_0800.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Functions:
-RC drive (2x L-motor) -> 1:1.191 gear ratio (20z/12z ; 20z/differential)
-RC steering (servo)
-pushrod rear suspension
-independent double wishbone front suspension
-working steering wheel
-V8 with moving pistons

General sizing was taken from Ferrari F2007, with design inspired from different F1 racecars from 2000s and 2010s era. Originally the idea was to use a 2 speed gearbox to have a low speed with better torque and a higher top speed, however after trying out several variations, it proved to be unrealiable when cramped into a little space, and invaded into the driver's compartment too much.
First part of the design was the rear pushrod axle, which is a first for me, and the end result works decently enough. Then the front axle was made, where due to lack of personal ability a compromise on suspension had to be made in favour of the servo, so the springs were mounted in-between the wishbones. A negative effect of that is that the car sat too high, and the travel was physically reduced, so the spring are constantly compressed. 
Next step was the conjunction of the rear&front axles, followed by bodywork. Initially the intention was to make it all red, using white on the rear wing, but after using a 3x11 curved panel upfront, it seemed almost a must to try and make a stripe (sort of a nod to the original set). Unfortunately there's only 1 of those curved panels included in white, so the air intake ended up all red except for the vertical stabiliser. 

For the leftovers: I'd say about 1/4-1/5 of the total parts, mostly black beams and all sorts of small connectors&gears, the volume of this car is much smaller than the supercar, and it is much simpler inside.

Find attached below a video (sorry for flashy thumbnail :pir-laugh:) and more photos. Instructions (step-by-step photo sequence) are being made.

dsc_0786.jpg

dsc_0789.jpg

dsc_0790.jpg

dsc_0796.jpg

dsc_0798.jpg

dsc_0806.jpg

dsc_0808.jpg

dsc_0810.jpgdsc_0811.jpg

dsc_0812.jpgdsc_0814.jpg

dsc_0816.jpgdsc_0817.jpg

Brickshelf gallery: https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=582869

Thanks for reading, C&C welcome!

Edited by syclone

Very nice model! You’ve kept the V8 era vibe and managed different colours very well. Pretty unusual to see a third-party set alternative to me, but I really like it. :D

Very nice work, even if I think the model would gain a lot if the spoiler could be higher... In some angles, it seems as if there were not any! But everything else seems really well done, kudos!

Wow, it looks very good, especially for a B-Model! I am happy to see you found another project to keep you busy :wink:

Driving performance seems to be pretty good as well, I guess apart from the obvious weight savings the removal of the remote gearbox helps with actual performance :laugh:

Nicely done, and I would like to see more B-Models from competitor brand sets! I think this is the 1st one here on EB Technic.

Wow... really nice job. I think you have captured the F1 racecar look well!  

This does leave me with questions however of how this pertains to EB rules and posting.  This is a B model off a Cada set, with Cada parts.  I am not complaining, I personally have no problem with it, but a clarification of the rules would be nice.  I will go back and read them myself, but it seems things are more nuanced or acceptable with Cada sets/parts.  I am curious because I also have been dabbling with non-Lego sets and parts, reviewing quality, etc. so obviously this is of interest to me.  

43 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

This does leave me with questions however of how this pertains to EB rules and posting.  This is a B model off a Cada set, with Cada parts.  

It's definitely a valid point, although to counter it, at least since the new Lego Ferrari, I doubt very much if there's anything here you couldn't build with Lego (R) pieces only.

Edited by amorti

On 6/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, Danifill said:

Very nice model! You’ve kept the V8 era vibe and managed different colours very well. Pretty unusual to see a third-party set alternative to me, but I really like it. :D

Thanks! Personally I prefer the gorgeous screams of the V10 engines, but a V8 sounds great as well, and since the inspiration for the model was F2007 car, it was a perfect fit)))

18 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Wow, that looks good!

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Celeri said:

Very nice work, even if I think the model would gain a lot if the spoiler could be higher... In some angles, it seems as if there were not any! But everything else seems really well done, kudos!

Looking back, it could definitely be lifted higher, and should be easily doable as well. I was taking inspiration from different cars from different eras, so the consistency was lost it seems, oops! Thanks for the commentary!

12 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Wow, it looks very good, especially for a B-Model! I am happy to see you found another project to keep you busy :wink:

Driving performance seems to be pretty good as well, I guess apart from the obvious weight savings the removal of the remote gearbox helps with actual performance :laugh:

Nicely done, and I would like to see more B-Models from competitor brand sets! I think this is the 1st one here on EB Technic.

One project too many :pir_wacko: , couldn't progress on anything while taking exams hahah. For the driving, stripping the extra weight gave it a good boost indeed, although a couple buggy motors would've been a wholly different league)))

I would also love to see more alternate builds, as this set is real treasure chest of parts :pir-sweet: Already have ideas for several more alternates!

10 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Wow... really nice job. I think you have captured the F1 racecar look well!  

This does leave me with questions however of how this pertains to EB rules and posting.  This is a B model off a Cada set, with Cada parts.  I am not complaining, I personally have no problem with it, but a clarification of the rules would be nice.  I will go back and read them myself, but it seems things are more nuanced or acceptable with Cada sets/parts.  I am curious because I also have been dabbling with non-Lego sets and parts, reviewing quality, etc. so obviously this is of interest to me.  

Thanks! 

I was a bit on the edge of posting it as well for the same reasons, and do agree that some sort of rule update might be in place given the special circumstances of CaDA and some other brands. Though it may be a huge headache for the mods to appeal to everyone while doing so...

10 hours ago, amorti said:

It's definitely a valid point, although to counter it, at least since the new Lego Ferrari, I doubt very much if there's anything here you couldn't build with Lego (R) pieces only.

According to rebrickable the only exception (for this model) seems to be the red 2L pins, but these play a minor visual purpose and can be replaced with normal black ones. Lego tyres would probably be more fitting as well, as these ones are more resembling of wet tyres in F1. The major exception is the control brick, but luckily a BuWizz fits prefectly too.

Bravo :thumbup:! Needless to say that it makes me proud seing a B-Model of "my" set. The performance is quite good due to the much lighter weight and skipping a gearbox. I love the overall appearance which pleases the eye because you have managed to replicate the typical shapes of a generic modern F1 car really well - e.g. I hate to see the squarish front & nose part on most Lego cars existing - you have made it round and smooth. The front spoiler could be tilted a bit less to my taste, but it´s build very nice and creative. The rear spoiler can stay that low IMO. I remember seasons in the 2000s where these looked that way.

Do you consider to make instructions?

On 6/22/2021 at 1:37 AM, Pato Sentado said:

Awesome!!!

Thanks!!

On 6/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, brunojj1 said:

Bravo :thumbup:! Needless to say that it makes me proud seing a B-Model of "my" set. The performance is quite good due to the much lighter weight and skipping a gearbox. I love the overall appearance which pleases the eye because you have managed to replicate the typical shapes of a generic modern F1 car really well - e.g. I hate to see the squarish front & nose part on most Lego cars existing - you have made it round and smooth. The front spoiler could be tilted a bit less to my taste, but it´s build very nice and creative. The rear spoiler can stay that low IMO. I remember seasons in the 2000s where these looked that way.

Do you consider to make instructions?

Thank You very much for the praise! 

In regards of instructions, the initial plan was a simple step-by-step photo sequence. Unfortunately rushed it while dissasembling, which resulted in mixed photo quality, ranging from good to terrible :hmpf:. Right now correcting that error by putting together a stepped .mpd. Fair warning, seeing the way this is going, it'll take a considerable amount of time, but will certainly make for a great learning experience in instruction-making.

Nonetheless, I do have the sequenced photos uploaded here until I finish the .mpd.

Edited by syclone

Finished .mpd : link Model is fully stepped, with submodels and routed wires. The front hubs are part of the unofficial library.

Tried making instructions, but found it impossible to go beyond page 205 as the model didn't fit into page, and the proposed solutions to "pan" the camera didn't have the desired effect. 

Here's a render with Porsche rims: (large version here

f1_racer_c61042_alt_syclone_16_9.png

Also found out how many illegal connections there were (front spoiler uses at least 3, though they're all within ±0'5 stud, side air intake panels sink through the floor, and there's a 1 stud missalignment between #21/22 panels and #3 connectors on the top of said air intakes) :pir-laugh: Will be more careful next time, and perhaps will find a way around the model scaling/camera panning issue in LPub. Also will need to learn the "buffer exchange" for pushing pins and axles, as right now they're added as separate steps in the model.

Sorry for bumping this topic once again.