Enigma1612

Benny's Space Squad 70841

Hello everyone,

I recently bought 70841 for my sons and also really enjoyed the retro space theme. Overall I found this to be a great set. Any chance LEGO will rerelease this one in the future? Seems to be a steal for the price. What are your thoughts on the funny little astronauts?

1 hour ago, Enigma1612 said:

Hello everyone,

I recently bought 70841 for my sons and also really enjoyed the retro space theme. Overall I found this to be a great set. Any chance LEGO will rerelease this one in the future? Seems to be a steal for the price. What are your thoughts on the funny little astronauts?

I highly doubt they will rerelease it anytime soon. If I were you I would grab as many as you want since they can still be found relatively easily online.

I actually have the opportunity to buy 2,700 of the sets for 3,45 Euro each. That however is a lot of money to invest and I am not sure if it's worth it. I don't need to resell immediately but I would hate to lose money on it and it's an all or nothing type of deal....

Selling those sets individually will take a lifetime. Check out the part value at BL and just how many of those figs/interesting parts are for sale. You're most likely to saturate that market and thus becoming your own competitor

I'd only do it myself if I could shift the lot at once for another euro each

MFG,

Ole

On 3/31/2021 at 8:26 AM, Enigma1612 said:

Hello everyone,

There's no way they will rerelease this exact set, but I'm sure the classic space minifigure will be back one day, they have been rereleased several times in the last two decades. That's a lot of units to sell!

On 3/31/2021 at 11:47 AM, Enigma1612 said:

I actually have the opportunity to buy 2,700 of the sets for 3,45 Euro each. That however is a lot of money to invest and I am not sure if it's worth it. I don't need to resell immediately but I would hate to lose money on it and it's an all or nothing type of deal....

That you can buy so many well under RRP shows how over produced this set was. In the UK it was half off for months in many supermarkets. 

10 hours ago, MAB said:

That you can buy so many well under RRP shows how over produced this set was. In the UK it was half off for months in many supermarkets. 

This is the opposite of my experience in the US. Those sets disappeared so quickly. Every other TLM2 set stuck around for a while, but not Benny's Space Squad.

The average sold price on Bricklink for new sets is $11. So, slightly above retail.

Also, you can't really use a weird one-off bulk sale price for a lot of 2700 sets to gauge the market value of a set when bought individually.

I also think this is an extremely low price from a bulk buyer/seller that has zero experience with LEGO. Of course that is a huge amount of sets but I am very tempted as I don't see this low price anywhere on the web. Well we'll see and I will report what I decided and how it went I guess ;-)

Well, for anyone interested - I bought the complete lot. I will update as soon as I have figured out what to do with all the astronauts...lol

20 hours ago, danth said:

This is the opposite of my experience in the US. Those sets disappeared so quickly. Every other TLM2 set stuck around for a while, but not Benny's Space Squad.

The average sold price on Bricklink for new sets is $11. So, slightly above retail.

Also, you can't really use a weird one-off bulk sale price for a lot of 2700 sets to gauge the market value of a set when bought individually.

Here, they went quickly then got restocked and never disappeared again!

6 hours ago, Enigma1612 said:

Well, for anyone interested - I bought the complete lot. I will update as soon as I have figured out what to do with all the astronauts...lol

You won't lose money on them, you can sell the 3 Classic Space figures from each set for more than you paid. Selling that volume might take a while though!

12 hours ago, Enigma1612 said:

Lol, holy crap!

If you wanna get rid of, say 40 boxes or so, let me know.

15 hours ago, Enigma1612 said:

Where exactly are you going to put all of them, 2700 sets, even small sets, would take up a lot of room? You must have a big garage or spare room.

But congratulations on your purchase and I hope your investment works out.

I do have a big garage and if the investment will work out we will have to see. My hope is that I will not lose much money at least. I love the set, so that is an upside I guess... :-)

Phew - totally different game here on SciFi - this is more about BitCoin/StockMarket/Investment/MakeOrLoseMoney/big garages - but everything other than "SciFi" isn't it?

There is this "By, Sell, Trade and Finds" Forum.

Well, good luck on that purchase!

Best
Thorsten

You could make the ultimate classic space army. It would be hard to sell that many sets at any price though. I don't think there is that much demand for the set.

I got several copies of the set for future projects. I wish it had a regular blue space guy though and not the Benny version with a faded logo.

On 4/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, GeoBrick said:

Out of curiosity, how many spacefigs do you think need for your own purposes?

I bought one of the set when it first came out, then 9 more when it went on sale for $8 at my local store. Later I found another 9 or so at a Walmart on clearance for $4, I bought all those too. So I have at least 19, all for me (though my daughter now owns one and has one extra pink guy with hers)

Man my wife thought I was crazy for buying 25 copies of the set.  I also bought 25 "unbroken" blue helmets thanks to 71708 Ninjago Gamer's Market, to convert the "Benny" to not have that stupid faux broken helmet.

I must be the only person in the world that never actually broke my original space helmets.  I have broken helmets from buying used Lego from yard sales and stuff but I never broke or cracked my own.  :wacko:

20 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

to convert the "Benny" to not have that stupid faux broken helmet

But isn't that helmet, along with the faded "LEGO space" print and the slightly out-spaced look in his face plus his name meant to illustrate the "Benny" character? When you change any or all of that he becomes more the "Ben" or "Joe" type, right? 

Best
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

I get that it's supposed to be Benny, but they must have known that the main customers for this set would be people wanting to build classic space armies.

I didn't know there was a regular blue helmet, I'll have to get some of those. I find the faded torso more noticeable than the helmet though, it looks out of place with the other guys.

Modern blue, yellow and white are not the same colours as the original CS minifigs

4 hours ago, CP5670 said:

I get that it's supposed to be Benny, but they must have known that the main customers for this set would be people wanting to build classic space armies.

I didn't know there was a regular blue helmet, I'll have to get some of those. I find the faded torso more noticeable than the helmet though, it looks out of place with the other guys.

Yeah they really should have made "Benny" have a normal undamaged suit in this set.  The fake cracked helmet bugs me more than the smudged torso, but I will definitely replace the torsos too if Lego ever bothers to make a "new" blue space shirt in a commonly available set again. 

It’s a shame that Lego never followed up on the Space Squad with a set containing a red, black, and a proper blue astronaut, perhaps with a slightly more elaborate mini build to compensate for the missing 4th astronaut figure. A ground vehicle perhaps?

On 4/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, 1974 said:

Modern blue, yellow and white are not the same colours as the original CS minifigs

Yes, they are. I have yellow Space guys right next to ones from Benny's space squad and they are the same color

On 4/9/2021 at 10:18 PM, CP5670 said:

I thought the main customers for this set would be kids wanting one each of the characters from the movie. There isn't a perfect blue spaceman in the movie, so they would have to shoehorn a character into the movie for a set with a perfect blue one to make sense.