Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

As someone who fondly remembers playing Super Mario 64 DS as a child, I am loving this set! The mechanism for deploying all four levels on the ? Block is fantastic, and very much mimics the magic of how these work in the 2D and 3D games. I can overlook the lack of ? Blocks in Mario 64 given that this is a far more iconic piece as opposed to the red(?) ! Blocks in the game. 

With the levels themselves, the lack of further detail is disappointing, though they were understandably boxed in by spatial constraints. That said, each is immediately recognisable and it looks like the front side of the cube has a hidden feature that reviews will shed some light on.

Small nitpick, but it does feel frustrating that Lego is so averse to minifigure-scaled sets for this theme now that they’ve done both maxi and micro scales. The mainline has some fantastic ideas, but building fun courses is also very space consuming. 

7 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

it looks like the front side of the cube has a hidden feature that reviews will shed some light on.

pretty sure that's where 2 of the hidden stars will be, or maybe the barcode to start the minigame

Edited by PGBQW

This set is bold, interesting, and different, and I like that. It would seem that Nintendo wanted to do something different from the typical minifigure based lines, and they carried it out. With any luck this will pave the way for other interesting builds.

I’m guessing the hidden Easter egg at the bottom is the cake from the end of the game. Looking at the picture from the back of the box it looks super tiny, so maybe just a table with a little cake on it.

was hoping it would be a little more substantial but it is what it is.

I’m surprised by how smooth the “transforming” feature is *oh2* Can’t wait to start building this in roughly a month (too bad there’s no early VIP access)

They've put a video on YouTube that shows most of the unfolding and all of the folding. It's very neat. Glad it's all done with folding and not any attaching.

Ok that mechanism is really cool.

EDIT: Looks like the vignettes fold into the back of the "?" block. Do we still not know what's behind the door that's slightly open on the picture on the back of the box?

Edited by Roses

9 minutes ago, Roses said:

Ok that mechanism is really cool.

EDIT: Looks like the vignettes fold into the back of the "?" block. Do we still not know what's behind the door that's slightly open on the picture on the back of the box?

No, but I’m guessing it’s either a Thank You cake from the end of the game or a final battle with Bowser.

Ok real talk.. is there something up with Mario minifigures? Like it's been a discussion point since day one, and here we are a year later and we're no closer to getting them.

Some stipulation with Nintendo on the license perhaps? Maybe they wanted them to debut in a cmf series first, but Lego had already filled up all the 2020-21 spots? Maybe it took them an extra year and a half to decided whether or not Mario should get a printed nose?

26 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

Ok real talk.. is there something up with Mario minifigures? Like it's been a discussion point since day one, and here we are a year later and we're no closer to getting them.

Some stipulation with Nintendo on the license perhaps? Maybe they wanted them to debut in a cmf series first, but Lego had already filled up all the 2020-21 spots? Maybe it took them an extra year and a half to decided whether or not Mario should get a printed nose?

I’ve seen knock-off minifigs of Mario and Luigi, with and without printed noses. To be honest it doesn’t really work. If they ever go that route i hope they will make them with newly moulded heads. However i really dig the Mario we have now and all the buildable characters so i don’t really need minifig Mario. But it would make a whole lot of people very happy so i hope Lego and Nintendo will give us mario minifigs someday. 

However the tiles in peach castle that stand for those paintings! So good!

Edited by Borex

Considering the proportions of the characters, I'd say molded heads is the way to go, like the Simpsons

10 minutes ago, Borex said:

If they ever go that route i hope they will make them with newly moulded heads.

Definitely agreed. Looking at the Disney minifigures, the exact same thing for Mario characters would work great I think.

It's definitely got to be a stipulation on Nintendo's side.

I’m actually really growing on this set. Especially because the ? Block will look great on my book shelf. It has a nice presentation and screams “Mario”. 

I do hope we get some more detailed levels at some point though. If anything other than to shut everyone up about minifigures lol

4 hours ago, PGBQW said:

pretty sure that's where 2 of the hidden stars will be, or maybe the barcode to start the minigame

Definitely something to do with compatibility with Mario and Luigi, but I’m sure it’ll be something localised to the set itself too like others have suggested. 

1 hour ago, Zepthire said:

It’s definitely got to be a stipulation on Nintendo's side.

Quite the contrary. One of the designer interviews from the line’s launch last year revealed that it was Lego’s idea to forego traditional minifigure-scaled sets I believe.

One thing I appreciate about this license is the creativity we’ve seen. We’ve got interactive figures and buildable levels, a NES and TV with scrolling screen, and now this D2C. I’m looking forward to what the future holds and how it’ll satisfy both fans of what the theme currently offers as well as those who wish for more traditional sets.

Edited by T21Typhoon

Obviously from our perspective, minifigure sets would be fantastic.  But the fact is that these Mario sets are still selling like hotcakes, what they're doing with it is clearly working.  I'm not even sure if minifigure sets would sell as well.  The most I can imagine is a CMF line, but it clearly isn't a priority even if it's a possibility so people have got to stop getting their hopes up.

Like has already been pointed out, they're being smart and marketing these sets to Nintendo fans, which are much more numerous than LEGO fans.  And Nintendo fans, kids and adults alike, are eating this stuff up!

5 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

I’m looking forward to what the future holds and how it’ll satisfy both fans of what the theme currently offers as well as those who wish for more traditional sets.

I mean, just speaking from what I see, have they shown at all that they care to satisfy those who want traditional sets? We have anything but that.

I mean think about the sets we could have if they were all in on satisfying AFOL’s. Mario Kart courses, full on level displays or hub worlds, Zelda castles. The list goes on. 

Like I get it, that approach isn’t the best way to make $$$, but sometimes it would be nice to think a company is targeting your audience.

Edited by Modal

2 minutes ago, Modal said:

I mean, just speaking from what I see, have they shown at all that they care to satisfy those who want traditional sets? We have anything but that.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I think there’s so much potential with minifigure-based sets and would prefer that to what the mainline is now. Can you imagine something like the Superheroes Mighty Micros sets but adapted for Mario Kart? That’d be amazing. I’m just looking at things from what Lego have chosen to do is all :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

it was Lego’s idea to forego traditional minifigure-scaled sets I believe

I wonder how much of that decision by LEGO was influenced by K'NEX previously having the Mario license? K'NEX made lots of minifigure-type characters with molded heads in minifigure-scale playsets. And, while LEGO is obviously different, I could see LEGO worrying that parents might say, "We already have Mario LEGO."

Even if that's not the case, I think LEGO made the right choice by fully embracing the potential of Super Mario and making it more interactive. My kids love the sets. And then these display sets like the NES and ? block are perfect for me. I wish we had a happy medium, though. I want LEGO Mario figures to display on a shelf. And the brick-built characters have been awesome. But it's just a shame they can't have a brick-built Mario to go with them. Unless you like the black-eyed possessed version.

I think someone mentioned it here before, but I have a feeling they may go all out on Mario sets for the new animated movie. The dream is for them to give the The Ninjago Movie treatment. Imagine the big high quality sets that could rival Destiny’s Bounty and Ninjago City *oh2*

I mean imagine a Lego Mini-figure version of Peaches Castle, or an Airship or even some of the Mario 3D Bosses like Petey Piranha. 
I mean I’d be up for a Lego Mario game series. 
So much potential.   

14 minutes ago, Modal said:

I think someone mentioned it here before, but I have a feeling they may go all out on Mario sets for the new animated movie. 

Thanks for reminding me :sick::laugh_hard: Why, OH WHY, did it have to be Illumination, the studio that prides itself on not producing anything above mediocre? Couldn’t Nintendo have jumped over their own shadow for once and just work with Sony? Potential sets is the only possible upside to this, as long as they stick to the designs. 

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Why, OH WHY, did it have to be Illumination

haha, I get the doom and gloom given their track record, but I honestly think that any other animation studio would've been an awful fit for Nintendo. I think with Illumination Nintendo will be exactly where they want to be: in the driver's seat. And I'm guessing studios who pride themselves on quality stories would've just clashed with Nintendo. Nintendo has to have full approval on anything in the movie. They gave notes on how Bowser would hold a cup of coffee in Wreck-It Ralph, so I can only imagine the headache of getting everything approved, pushing to go beyond the basic Mario story, etc. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up.