Jim

Technic General Discussion

Seems the only real difference is that yours has reinforcement across the depth of the wheel and also it's got 6 holes as opposed to 3.

Perhaps this was an upgrade on the original part to make it stronger?

The one with 6 holes is the newer version. There's a separate thread on this topic. I would have to look it up.

New rims got introduced with the 42000 Grand Prix Racer, if I'm not mistaken.

Your Unimog probably came off the production line more recently. The 3 hole rim has been superceded by the 6 hole rim.

My 8069 had 6-hole rims. Sometimes they are more useful than the 3-hole variation, but that hole in the center is kind of weird, I wonder what the reason for that is...

Hi all! I've been lurking on these forums for a few months, mainly to read the reviews of non-technic sets. Until last week, the last technic sets I had built were some Star Wars droids in 2000. On a whim last week I picked up the 9396 Helicopter set and now I'm hooked. Technic sets look much less like a naked framework than how I remembered them ten years ago, with thought put into aesthetics as well as functionality.

Now that the introduction is out of the way I can get to the point of this post. A lot of B model instructions are online-only these days. What's everyone's opinion on that. Do you bother building the B models? Do you print out the instructions? Is there a best practices for printing Lego instructions that will last like the official ones do?

Hi Dooftastic,

Welcome to Technic! :thumbup:

The 9396 is one of my favorites. Great set!

I almost never built the B-models, until recently. I joined the Reviewers Academy, so will be building more of the B-models. I have a computer on my dining room table, where I build most of the time. So I never print instructions. This works fine for me.

I have built a few B models, in these cases it is almost always off the computer screen, I don't see much point printing them out and wasting paper / toner :)

Edited by Paul B

When I built the 9396 alternative I also used a tablet to display the PDF instructions. Is there any concern about the permanence(or lack thereof) of having instructions for models on the internet? Just something to think about.

I use a laptop or tablet when using non-printed instructions.

Same here! If I get them from Lego.com I just save them.

... the Energiser Lithiums and ...

Really, in the UK they're caled EnergiSer ??? Here in the US they're called EnergiZer ... was not aware names were 'adapted' to local spelling.

Seems the only real difference is that yours has reinforcement across the depth of the wheel and also it's got 6 holes as opposed to 3.

Perhaps this was an upgrade on the original part to make it stronger?

Not just stronger, those 'reinforcement' on the wheels make those usable with rubber tracks as well. You can clearly notice the trend in the Mindstorms series where TLG no longer provides tread sprockets. They now include only 'dual-purpose' rims that can be used for both tires and treads.

Edited by DrJB

Aha, I see.

Typo. Obviously I wrote the noun instead of the company name.

Sheesh, pedantry! :tongue:

It's a crappy American bastardisation that uses zeds (not zees :wink: ) in words where there should be an "s" anyway and Energizer should know better! :grin:

Aha, I see.

Typo. Obviously I wrote the noun instead of the company name.

Sheesh, pedantry! :tongue:

It's a crappy American bastardisation that uses zeds (not zees :wink: ) in words where there should be an "s" anyway and Energizer should know better! :grin:

Um, 'tis the other way round in this case.

You forgot Canada ... Where it's split 50/50 ... Really confusing sometimes, as no matter what, you're bound to be wrong ... 50% of the time, eh?

Generally speaking, I'm wrong 90% of the time (according to 'er indoors at least!).

Christmas came early this year. Just bought two 42009 mkII at a 30% discount. :)

Where was this?

It seems ToysRUs in Norway has it at 30% discount now as well, at least online, so I am actually concidering taking a trip to the store come week end, to check it out.. I have some gift cards at TRU, and was planning on using them to buy the cargo plane over new years, but 30% off seems like a pretty good deal :blush:

Does anybody now if these parts fit correctly?

dscn2245.jpg

If yes, the next parts could also fit:

92908.jpg or 11950.jpg or 11949.jpg used with 99009.jpg

Jovel: The LPEpower wheel hub is a custom part. They use the small turntable black part and then the grey part gets modified (cut off pin connectors, sanded down) and then a modified wheel hub rotor (slimmed down stem) is glued onto it.

This is done to eliminate 2 key weakneses of the lego hub:

- the huge amount of slack

- the inability to mount the hub directly to a liftarm, because of the thicker wall of the stator at the middle point

Edited by nicjasno

Hello, I come with an idea, a RC 6x6 8285 keeping the outside as close to the original as possible, but redoing the internals for full RC functions and 6x6 drive

11458191533_d86003862c_z.jpg

I don't have enough parts to finish it as it seams the majority of the truck may have been lost in a move 4 years ago :damn:

Has anyone done something similar before?

If not hopefully this will spawn inspiration for someone else as this would be epic!

Edited by That_LEGO_Guy