Zerobricks

[MOD] 42122 4x4, Suspension and Fake Engine mod

Just now, GTS said:

1. Economy of parts, lighter cargo to ship around /by the thousands/
2. They know we exist and are going to customize it anyway.
3. Free advertisement after the set's release /by us modding it/
4. It actually makes you BUY more Lego in some form. Or locks you in with the brand further.

So why not.
As for the 60 parts more - the mod is great, but the ball sockets aren't cheap.
How much extra cost does the mod add?

I love all the functions crammed in. It's technic as it should be. And is looking nice.
As for Zerobricks's post - I'm a bit jelaous having to wait another MONTH to get to that set here in Bulgaria...

Well, I guess the real reason is that the parts count and cost are decided in the marketing/product strategy department and the actual set designers have to work within those constraints, and sometimes that means missing features and details that would have been really easy to add with just a little bit of more effort. This was very apparent in the Cement mixer, where just a few more parts would've made it much better looking, so I guess the Jeep is also a victim of too tightly constrained design.

I wonder how much it could be improved by AFOLs with the same limit on parts count? This would still disregard the cost of individual parts (like the ball sockets) but it could still be a nice challenge for those who like to work with these kinds of things.

I wasn’t going to buy this set but your mods have changed my mind. Thank you for the great work :thumbup:

Edited by grum64

10 hours ago, howitzer said:

Well, I guess the real reason is that the parts count and cost are decided in the marketing/product strategy department and the actual set designers have to work within those constraints, and sometimes that means missing features and details that would have been really easy to add with just a little bit of more effort. This was very apparent in the Cement mixer, where just a few more parts would've made it much better looking, so I guess the Jeep is also a victim of too tightly constrained design.

I wonder how much it could be improved by AFOLs with the same limit on parts count? This would still disregard the cost of individual parts (like the ball sockets) but it could still be a nice challenge for those who like to work with these kinds of things.

Agree, I think the designers first create the best model possible and than the marketing and finances starts to ravage the model until we have only a shell left... or even less with all them gaping gaps. It's kind of sad actually, being constrained and not able to release a perfected model.

I kind of feel sorry for the designers, cause (I assume) they get critized internally if the model is too expensive or externally by fans when all the cost savings are visible.

Edited by Zerobricks

Great mod! Very interesting to see front axle, because it was really challeging for me to build front axle with drive and steering in this scale when I was building my own Wrangler for TC18. I see, there aren't any supporting parts between differential and cv joints. Is differential held only by cv joints?

Just now, ArsMan064 said:

Great mod! Very interesting to see front axle, because it was really challeging for me to build front axle with drive and steering in this scale when I was building my own Wrangler for TC18. I see, there aren't any supporting parts between differential and cv joints. Is differential held only by cv joints?

Thanks. Differential is "trapped" between the thin beams and the 20 tooth gear so it can't slip out.

2 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Thanks. Differential is "trapped" between the thin beams and the 20 tooth gear so it can't slip out.

Looks like it is more reliable solution that one I used. Thank you!

Thanks for the LXF file, I have almost finished making it have 4 wheel steering, I also added 42115 diffs and mustang wheels.

I am wondering it it is possible to replace the bulky ball and socket parts with something like this: and then there might be room for a center differenial. the small ball is jammed between two full bushes or (simular) parts.
800x502.jpg
LXF FILE so far

note* LDD wont let me place the mustang wheels over the black half frames but in real life it fits., Also the seperate chassis wheelbase is 1L too short but thats easily fixed.

Edited by SNIPE

Just now, SNIPE said:

Thanks for the LXF file, I have almost finished making it have 4 wheel steering, I also added 42115 diffs and mustang wheels.

I am wondering it it is possible to replace the bulky ball and socket parts with something like this: and then there might be room for a center differenial

LXF FILE so far

note* LDD wont let me place the mustang wheels over the black half frames but in real life it fits., Also the seperate chassis wheelbase is 1L too short but thats easily fixed.

I would move the steering 12 tooth gears a stud backwards, since currently they are coliding with the central diff. How do you plan to steer the wheels now that they are deeper, we lost one attachment point.

5 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I would move the steering 12 tooth gears a stud backwards, since currently they are coliding with the central diff. How do you plan to steer the wheels now that they are deeper, we lost one attachment point.

The gap between the left and right wheels is still the same, really the seperate chassis is just to show the idea of using the 1L beam with bionicle ball.

The modded set also in the same file I need to build in real life to test out how to connect the R and L steering with the HOG.

Edited by SNIPE

Great update @SNIPE. I'm not sure I would keep the center diff, but I like the dual steering, so it might be needed.

Does @Zerobrickss design improve the turning circle? If so, is the dual steering needed?

Just now, Thirdwigg said:

Great update @SNIPE. I'm not sure I would keep the center diff, but I like the dual steering, so it might be needed.

Does @Zerobrickss design improve the turning circle? If so, is the dual steering needed?

The steering radius is improved too indeed, please see the video for more details.

7 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

In truth, the central differential is unrealistic (I am fairly sure), since the Jeep has a selectable 2H/4H/4L transfer case, where you have to stay in RWD on pavement because of the lack of a central diff.

I could be wrong, but this is at least my understanding of how serious 4x4s like the Jeep work.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with appreciating the added complexity even if it is not quite realistic.

19 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

In truth, the central differential is unrealistic (I am fairly sure), since the Jeep has a selectable 2H/4H/4L transfer case, where you have to stay in RWD on pavement because of the lack of a central diff.

I could be wrong, but this is at least my understanding of how serious 4x4s like the Jeep work.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with appreciating the added complexity even if it is not quite realistic.

You are correct, no center diff, but I agree with you. 

Thank you for this mod!

I've just ordered some of the extra parts. I can't wait January to buy the set and start this project.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a proper brick-built front grille? For me that printed grille seems to be perhaps the most glaring problem looks-wise...

While building this, using the new gray/red differential, I noticed the front differential had a lot of slop that caused a bit of resistance, especially when going backwards. To fix this, I put a 12 tooth gear on the front.

front_axle.jpg

The 12 tooth gear moves a little bit, but the play in the differential is much reduced.

I also came up with a brick built grill that reduces the bug-eyed effect of the stock front end. Unfortunately, I was unable to have just 7 slots with the pieces I have. I also swapped the 2x 5 axles with stop holding the top of the grill for 5.5 axles. The end that protrudes under the panels kept the grill from moving around.

grill.jpg

grill_off.jpg

Forgive my ignorance. I just built the 42122 and found this mod. I have looked at the ldd and love the design. Great work! Is there a way to find a parts list of just the new/different part from what come in the set? Does any one have the list or can help me make one?

Thank you @Zerobricks for your basis.

I built it, but when playing, the wheels got stuck very often if a wheel encountered an obstacle. It just does not drive smooth without a third differential.

So I tried to insert a center differential. Tried a lot, but could not fit it in this space.
Since I wanted to make it somehow possible, I removed the teeth on my lathe.
Maybe Lego will come up with a new part in the future.

It is not pure Lego any more, but it is fun to play with.

I have also an stud.io file with instruction steps, but it seems I cannot upload it here. Where could I upload it?

O0PJkzd.jpeg6DSOyaO.jpeg3b0L8wj.jpegzqStd0l.jpegONMnTjH.jpeg

Edited by piece

3 hours ago, piece said:

I have also an stud.io file with instruction steps, but it seems I cannot upload it here. Where could I upload it?

The most common thing people do is to upload the instructions to Rebrickable, and then link to it here.