Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

31 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Not surprising but the Creator Set also has the Space Logo. Only have seen a pic of the box so the alternative builds pictures are quite small but the spaceship you can build looks quite good IMO.

I guess Icons and CMF could be next to have a Space banner then. 

I guess Icons and CM col be next to have Space anger hen. We shall see. 

City Space sets look fantastic, even the circular space station looks much better in detail, the ring isn't as bad, as it comes with 8 modules to fill it up (4 interior , 1 solar panel, 1 docking platform + hoverbike, 1 greenhouse, 1 shuttlecraft) .

I imagine those space station modules could turn that little shuttle into a cargo ship by linking those modules as well :)

The big 8 wheel rover reminds me of one of my favorite Nexo Knight set Axl Tower Carrier, and I like it, and also has a module that looks detachable , so more sets, you can expand.

Space Base really has a 1999 Space Port vibe, in a good way, with the launch pad and glass windows. (set 6455: Space Simulation Station) , and the spacecraft looks to have another detachable space station module.

6455-1.jpg

The 4+ set is actually fine as well, doesn't look extremely junior and the price is okay for what it comes with.

I like the focus on crystal collection and friendly looking aliens, so it's very classic-space intent instead of a conflict/invasion theme.

Edited by TeriXeri

Creator buildable astronaut, is NOT a  big space minifig, just cooincidence it was very similar price + piece count to the upscaled minifig , but still looks interesting if it has articulation.

Dreamzzz space buggy is pretty cool, will likely fit well with fans of Space Police 3, flying space cars, I imagine the 2-in-1 feature is moving the wheels into their normal car position instead of thrusters.

Edited by TeriXeri

Well. Hot damn.

I really like all the Space sets. The smaller rover is probably the least exciting, but all the other sets are looking really good. The smaller sets, the mech and hoverbike, are great IMO, and are going to be awesome in multiples.

The big rover looks really cool. Space wheels!

The main ground base is pretty awesome. So many colored space men! Gives me Futuron vibes. The black and gold space commander is an interesting surprise.

I like the "space train" configuration of the space station. And the little hoverbike.

The interstellar space ship looks small for the price but it's nice.

I'm really hoping all the windscreens are the new trans black. It's always hard to tell in pics because of the renders. But at least trans black is more exciting than trans clear/trans light blue. Seems like they're being really careful with colors; even the colored space men are mostly white, and trans colored parts are kept to a minimum. Even the new orange isn't as prominent as in the Technic sets.

Also, looks like the designers did the obvious smart thing and put lots of reusable prints in the 4+ set, and they appear to be reused in the other sets! It's almost like if you plan a theme intelligently, you can have all the prints you need!

Side note, I really like the Dreamzzz Space Buggy. Ice Planet wheels! And a colored windscreen! Is it satin trans dark blue?

My first reaction is wow, the new City Space sets look amazing! (before I take a long stare at them) While I can understand the discussion around whether these should live in City (more realistic) or be their own theme (full scifi), if you step back I think they actually serve as a nice bridge between the realistic space sets we're used to seeing from City or ye old Space Port 1999 and Classic Space which is full on futurism. There's even a bit of M-Tron homage thrown in with the crystals and mining. In the past we've seen Lego take a lot of effort to launch a new theme that may end up petering out early whereas if you slot the sets into an existing theme and they do poorly, just don't make more. If they market well instead, it leaves the door open to expanding a few more sets in a wave 2 to hoover up a bit more sales before fully retiring the line without a lot of marketing commitment.

How I've canonized the setting that I think fits the best is this wave exists about 100 years in the future where we can travel to the moons of the Outer Planets or asteroids where these alien creatures were found to live. That explains the NASA influenced near future scifi, whereas Classic Space et al exists hundreds of years further along with hyper drives, huge bases, etc. Maybe these crystals serve as the technological breakthrough that enables the Classic Space timeline. No matter what, as a space fan who enjoys both realistic models and a nice hard scifi setting, I couldn't be more pleased since I'm young enough to have missed most of the early 90s space waves. Also, I'm not sure how much this applies to fans but man am I so tired of "conflict", implied or otherwise, creeping into most themes it feels like. I am so, so,....sooooo very happy this wave seems to be based on cooperation, exploration, and science rather than conflict among factions or humans vs aliens.

36 minutes ago, jusvans said:

Also, I'm not sure how much this applies to fans but man am I so tired of "conflict", implied or otherwise, creeping into most themes it feels like. I am so, so,....sooooo very happy this wave seems to be based on cooperation, exploration, and science rather than conflict among factions or humans vs aliens.

Agreed 100%!

18 hours ago, danth said:

It's bitter sweet that Space has no home of its own and has to live in other themes.

You're gonna hate this take, but...

I feel like the cross-branding just makes explicit something that several people here have argued for years now: maybe we don't need a standalone Space theme because the DNA of LEGO Space lives on in so many other themes. Even Friends is getting in on the action, so perhaps... perhaps the real Space theme... is the Friends we made along the way.

I'll see myself out.

SPACE ALL OVER THE PLACE! What a glorious year 2024 will be! I'm loving all of these Space-branded sets and I hope that this is TLG testing to see if people are interested in a new full-on Space theme and that they will be successful. I even love this Mars Base from Friends (Space Cat!!):

42605-1.jpg?202309260228

4 hours ago, jusvans said:

How I've canonized the setting that I think fits the best is this wave exists about 100 years in the future where we can travel to the moons of the Outer Planets or asteroids where these alien creatures were found to live. That explains the NASA influenced near future scifi, whereas Classic Space et al exists hundreds of years further along with hyper drives, huge bases, etc. Maybe these crystals serve as the technological breakthrough that enables the Classic Space timeline.

I really like this idea actually since it lines up nicely with Rock Raiders lore where they also mined for crystals to fuel their space travel!

6 hours ago, danth said:

I really like the Dreamzzz Space Buggy. Ice Planet wheels! And a colored windscreen! Is it satin trans dark blue?

Agreed! And yes, that's what it looks like. Not sure if it's just the Fifth Element vibes, but this design works a lot better for me than the Space Bus.

71475-1.jpg?202309260228

We are getting at least 15+1 "Space related sets" in 2024. Maybe even more. City, Dreamzzz, Friends, Technic... Take my money!

Edited by legoturtle

We don't actually know can those aliens think like humans. Are they smart... or "just" alien life in a another planet.

4 hours ago, Oky said:

I even love this Mars Base from Friends (Space Cat!!):

Nice. Of course Friends comes through with the awesome trans purple windscreens. I wish the base had them too, although it might not make sense for growing plants.

Now I'm wondering what the City space sets would look like with all purple windscreens...

Edited by danth

Wow. I'm just so impressed by all these space sets! I think the idea of using a unifying banner is very interesting, but there's also some intentional connectivity between the sets.The three largest city ones all include these 'modules' using the reddish-orange frames on the ends (back of command rover, middle of ship in space base, base modules of space station) and the Friends set includes one too! (Middle of rocket) The technic sets also use those connectors, but I'm not sure how compatible those components would be with the system ones.

I love the space mech, it gives me Power Miners vibes. I also noticed each color has a distinct role (green research, blue pilots, yellow construction/mining) and each also has a commander of sorts (darker color scheme, dark orange in base, dark green in station, dark blue in small ship) and then of course the captain in gold in the base. Also, all of the sets appear to use these purple cylinders as power cells, and the space base interior shows they use the purple crystals to charge them, which is an excellent attention to detail and play pattern. There's also pink ones from the pink ice cream pieces, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to be honestly.

With how many themes are roped into this, I wonder which other ones will join in? Maybe Ninjago will go to space in the summer? Will Monkie Kid have another space ship set? And most importantly, will this continue past 2024?

60428-Space-Construction-Mech-Lifestyle-

I think they have taken inspiration from movies like: Aliens, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, The Martian, Interstellar and others... It is very COOL that colours mean something.  It is nice that there is also small robots. If you look upcoming Technic set (spaceship) it has a container. You can easily connect modules with it. So probably all these sets with Space LOGO are connected to each other.

This is AMAZING! All of this.

I just realized City, Technic, and Friends all have slightly different colors in their Space logos.

I do like that new orange color more and more, while it's not a replacement for trans-neon orange, I think the new color will still work well for Ice Planet MOCs etc.

I appreciate the idea of more space sets, but I personally don't like the design of these and wish we had more realistic models instead.

2 hours ago, The_Fiery_Rooster said:

And most importantly, will this continue past 2024?

Possibily, as the next crewed moon landing is currently planned for December 2025, space will be in media for a while, especially if no problems/delays arise.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, The_Fiery_Rooster said:

I also noticed each color has a distinct role (green research, blue pilots, yellow construction/mining) and each also has a commander of sorts (darker color scheme, dark orange in base, dark green in station, dark blue in small ship) and then of course the captain in gold in the base.

Yeah you're right, at first glance I hadn't noticed the darker colors of the heads in each category. Nice!

Edited by Khargeust

After seeing more pictures of the City Space Station, looks a lot better , when they show modularity and options to turn it into various spacecraft, and the center of the circle has an attachment point to build vertical as well.

Will certainly look forward to mixing it with the 2019 and 2022 modules.

Edited by TeriXeri

60428: Space Construction Mech

Climb into the cockpit of the rugged space construction mech for an awesome planetary mining expedition. This cool suit is perfect for exploring new worlds, with big flexible joints, a powerful lifting claw and huge feet for planet walking. Have your construction robot drill for samples and use your hammer and claw arms to break rocks and unearth power-generating energy crystals. Ready? Let’s go!

https://www.lego.com/en-my/kids/sets/city/space-construction-mech-a0fdc962130f56eeb047dc6de9c220fc

13 hours ago, danth said:

So many colored space men! Gives me Futuron vibes.

Not just that - They also have different designs (with some new parts and recolours): Blue and dark blue (and the pimp-commander) use the 2019 space helmet recoloured, green and dark green use the Nexo Knights helmet, and orange has a new mining helmet and armour piece! 

14 hours ago, danth said:

I'm really hoping all the windscreens are the new trans black. It's always hard to tell in pics because of the renders. But at least trans black is more exciting than trans clear/trans light blue. 

It looks like they are; the lifestyle pics show them to have trans-black’s distinctive bluish tint. 

6 hours ago, danth said:

Nice. Of course Friends comes through with the awesome trans purple windscreens. I wish the base had them too, although it might not make sense for growing plants.

Now I'm wondering what the City space sets would look like with all purple windscreens...

They probably cannot, but I really hope that those Friends space helmets can fit Minifigs as well! Also, the trans-purple visors are going to be useful. 
Something interesting that I have noticed is the synergy between themes this year - Technic, Friends, and City Space all use the same reddish orange colour and airlock connectors, and City and Friends both feature the same aliens. 

4 hours ago, The_Fiery_Rooster said:

I love the space mech, it gives me Power Miners vibes. I also noticed each color has a distinct role (green research, blue pilots, yellow construction/mining) and each also has a commander of sorts (darker color scheme, dark orange in base, dark green in station, dark blue in small ship) and then of course the captain in gold in the base.

The whole wave is giving Power Miners X Mars Mission! 

There's also pink ones from the pink ice cream pieces, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to be honestly.

I think that those are alien plant life; the batteries seem to be created (per a display in the base) by combining plants and crystals. 

And most importantly, will this continue past 2024?

I certainly hope so!! I also hope that we keep the same basic design (suits, colour-scheme) for at least 1-2 more years, so that the faction can be expanded! 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman