Bob

Mystery on the Excelsior - Chapter One

On 9/8/2020 at 5:24 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

Arthur returns with another Mimosa, "Your drink Mam, and may I say it's a privileged to have voted for you in the last election."

"You are too kind... Arthur, is it? Do you mind if I call you Arthur, it seems ever so cold to call you just 'Steward' for such a long trip?"

On 9/8/2020 at 9:57 PM, Trekkie99 said:

Wonder what Noah's gonna feed us this time. Hungry Man sailsbury steak?

With a side of tator tots? But that'll be the second course. The first will probably be cream of mushroom soup (and it won't even be Campbells it'll be some house brand), and for dessert he'll throw together a box cake.

Charlotte looks up dreamily as she contemplates the gourmet meal to come.

"I'm sure whatever Chef Baker whips up in his kitchen will be a true gastronomic delight. Personally I'm hoping for some YumYum Devilled Eggs with Purpleberry Shake."

On 9/9/2020 at 4:16 AM, KotZ said:

WHAT THE HELL IS IN MY CABIN????

Someone or something put a demonic object in my medicine cabinet. It looks... stuffed. Is this normal? Who accessed my room? May I see a list of people who accessed it?

Her repast-related reverie broken, she turns towards the commotion, concerned.

"Do you mean to tell me that firstly you're paranoid enough to put hairs over all the door openings, and secondly an actual demonic plush has actually, physically appeared in your cabin? This is for real, not some kind of joke on your part? Would a demonic plushie mean anything to you? Is it some sort of perverted gift? Do you have any reason to think someone might mean you harm or  even may be clumsily looking for your affections?"

On 9/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, Shadows said:

"It's probably because one of them is a dangerous assassin. Got the message via direct comm, no one else knows. Keep it quiet." I begin to wonder why I would tell the chattiest person on the ship a secret, then laugh to myself.

Charlotte's blood runs cold as she hears the throwaway comment from the Captain, spoken in such a stage whisper as to make it obvious to everyone in the room. Surely the assassin was there for her? Nobody else was anywhere near as important as she, and surely the assassin already knows they are there so having others know about it helps them prepare to defend themselves. She turns to address the captain, only to find she's buggered off somewhere. Who knows where? Clearly not to fly the ship, that's patently obvious.

7 hours ago, Hinckley said:

She smiles at her own assessment of her clever response, thinking she's smoothed over the Captain's audacious discussion of confidential information. She takes the last sip from her martini and slides the empty glass to the drink rail, hoping it will give Arthur an out if he needs one. She winces as the smell of Emily's perfume begins to induce a headache.

Charlotte wanders over to the bar and sits next to a rather scruffy and sad looking woman in mechanics overalls. She is grimacing and muttering to herself. She looks at her with curiosity, and some sympathy, but not knowing what to say says nothing and instead turns to the Steward.

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Arthur finishes up with Mrs. Dawson and heads back to the bar to pour a finger for Oliver, "Going to be an expensive night it seems..."

"First mysterious plush litterers, then assassins, and now spies, I haven't heard such paranoia since I was in the service. I was expecting this to be a quiet trip, but I suppose with money comes eccentricity to match."

Charlotte smiles as if she assumes she has a new friend.

"What a bunch we all are eh Arthur?" she chuckles lightheartedly "I'll take a vodka now please. Double." she adds more introspectively.

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Arthur finishes up with Mrs. Dawson and heads back to the bar to pour a finger for Oliver, "Going to be an expensive night it seems..."

*notices his glass is empty* Mr Allan could I get a Scotch Whisky please? And some water for Colin.

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"First mysterious plush litterers, then assassins, and now spies, I haven't heard such paranoia since I was in the service. I was expecting this to be a quiet trip, but I suppose with money comes eccentricity to match."

I haven’t seen this much paranoia since that expedition to Mars a few years ago. We had found signs of alien life but there was also evidence Zygons had infiltrated the planet and had set up their own civilisation. That was a long trip home. 

7 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

Oh yeah she wrote some funny crap on my napkin earlier.

You guys had personalised napkins? Mine just has the Excelsior logo on it. 

On 9/8/2020 at 3:47 PM, Bob said:

It is currently nearing the dinner service...

Did you mean it would be served "soon?"...

1 hour ago, Hinckley said:

Did you mean it would be served "soon?"...

As soon as the chef decides what he’d like to serve for dinner. 

18 hours ago, Hinckley said:

She winces as the smell of Emily's perfume begins to induce a headache.

"Bitch," she mutters under her breath.

"I'm sorry my No. 5 is displeasing to your delicate nostrils. Perhaps I should daub myself in engine oil instead?"

17 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

Nah she said I was like "interesting" and "rugged". She also wanted me to pop by her cabin. :def_shrug: Probably to show me her bond movie collection. 

"Gosh, I don't recall writing such a note. I shouldn't have asked Arthur for that extra martini. Speaking of which," Emily looks around to see who's working the bar. Of course — still Arthur. "Can you fix me up an amontillado?" The aforementioned martini is still on the bar. Truth be told, she has hardly consumed any of it; the olive is still swamped in a finger of gin.

10 hours ago, Tariq j said:

I haven’t seen this much paranoia since that expedition to Mars a few years ago. We had found signs of alien life but there was also evidence Zygons had infiltrated the planet and had set up their own civilisation. That was a long trip home.

"Oh, I think I watched a documentary about a doctor who was involved in that expedition! Maybe we can watch it together if we turned the TV on. Didn't know you were there, too. Did you think you'd be able to train the Zygons to do tricks?" Emily fumbles her hands behind the bar, hoping to grab the remote, and knocks over a jar of olives in the process.

11 hours ago, Pandora said:

you're paranoid enough

"If I were you, Charlotte, I'd be paranoid about getting up to secret rendezvous on this ship. Who knows what sticky dealings you're involved with, and whether you may need a lawyer to help cover your megablocks." Emily digs into her pocket for a customized napkin, similar to the one she passed to Oliver, and glances at it. A smirk crosses her face, her eyes glaze over, the note goes back into the pocket, and she returns her attention to the half-finished martini.

2 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

"Oh, I think I watched a documentary about a doctor who was involved in that expedition! Maybe we can watch it together if we turned the TV on. Didn't know you were there, too. Did you think you'd be able to train the Zygons to do tricks?" Emily fumbles her hands behind the bar, hoping to grab the remote, and knocks over a jar of olives in the process.

Seymour quickly picks up the olives and dusts them off so they don't get spoiled and pushed the remote towards Emily. "Yes! We were with him too. But oddly he didn't come on the Excelsior like rest of us, he came in this... blue box? He called it a TARDAT(?) Or a TARDIP(?) Or something. I can't remember. And he had some weird buzzing device. 

We tried to teach the Zygons how to play Football. But they just ended up disguising themselves as us. Somewhere out there, there's a Zygon who looks and talks exactly like me.... In fact come to think of it could I be a...

Seymour quickly excused himself and runs ti the bathroom. He emerges a few minutes later.

"Nope! It's okay. I'm definitely human!" "I think"

11 hours ago, Pandora said:

"You are too kind... Arthur, is it? Do you mind if I call you Arthur, it seems ever so cold to call you just 'Steward' for such a long trip?"

Charlotte wanders over to the bar and sits next to a rather scruffy and sad looking woman in mechanics overalls. She is grimacing and muttering to herself. She looks at her with curiosity, and some sympathy, but not knowing what to say says nothing and instead turns to the Steward.

Charlotte smiles as if she assumes she has a new friend.

"What a bunch we all are eh Arthur?" she chuckles lightheartedly "I'll take a vodka now please. Double." she adds more introspectively.

"Mr. Allen or Arthur would be fine whichever you prefer, Representative Sawyer. Would you like that double on the rocks? We stock some retro Grey Goose if you'd fancy that. As for present company, I'm not one to judge to harshly. Blue Star cruises prides itself on it's clientele." 

11 hours ago, Tariq j said:

*notices his glass is empty* Mr Allan could I get a Scotch Whisky please? And some water for Colin.

You guys had personalised napkins? Mine just has the Excelsior logo on it. 

The steward pours the glass and hands over another pitcher of water over to Charlie. "I'm sorry I don't believe I've ever heard of a Zygon before."

2 hours ago, Bob said:

As soon as the chef decides what he’d like to serve for dinner. 

It was difficult choice given the eclectic mix of passengers on board, so I've drawn on some of my own personal favourites for this journey's inaugural evening meal.

Entree (the bit before mains) is a choice of:

• smoked salmon and avocado stack
  • Salt and pepper calamari

Mains is a choice of:

• Waygu beef burger with a truffle mayonnaise
  • Macadamia crusted barramundi 

Served with your choice of fries or green salad.

Dessert is a choice of:

• Creme brûlée
  • Hot fudge brownie with ice cream

1 hour ago, Kristel said:

It was difficult choice given the eclectic mix of passengers on board, so I've drawn on some of my own personal favourites for this journey's inaugural evening meal.

Mains is a choice of:

Dessert is a choice of:

• Creme brûlée

Gabriella mulls over the choices.

"Which ones did the assassin spy poison?"

13 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

Gabriella mulls over the choices.

"Which ones did the assassin spy poison?"

The salmon. Who the frick wants to eat squid? 

Unless there's someone in particular the spy wanted to kill who they knew liked squid. Ezra looks the type.

15 hours ago, Pandora said:

"Do you mean to tell me that firstly you're paranoid enough to put hairs over all the door openings, and secondly an actual demonic plush has actually, physically appeared in your cabin? This is for real, not some kind of joke on your part? Would a demonic plushie mean anything to you? Is it some sort of perverted gift? Do you have any reason to think someone might mean you harm or  even may be clumsily looking for your affections?"

I have no idea why a demonic plushie would mean anything to me. I write spy novels, not sci-fi bull. Real books. Thing that grip you. Yes, it was in my medicine cabinet. How it fit in there I have no clue. It looked pretty damn big. And ye this is for real. I'm a serious person, just like my books. Maybe it is a perverted gift. If so, what a weird perversion. I don't think anyone right now has meant me harm, but wo knows in this day and age.

I take personal offense to the accusation of being paranoid for putting hairs on my door openings. I write books about spies! Would you not think I have the same tendencies as my beloved character James Bourne? Or his colleague Jason Bauer? Or the spin off series action hero Nicholas Harvath?

2 hours ago, Kristel said:

Mains is a choice of:

Dessert is a choice of:

• Creme brûlée

I'll take the smoked salmon and the avocado stack, the wagyu beef with extra truffle mayonnaise and the salad. For desert, that hot fudge brownie has my name written all over it like a book I wrote.

11 minutes ago, KotZ said:

I'll take the smoked salmon and the avocado stack, the wagyu beef with extra truffle mayonnaise and the salad. For desert, that hot fudge brownie has my name written all over it like a book I wrote.

Same but with fries for me. I don't care if I'll be poisoned I'm having my fricking brownie.

Gabriella looks around, self-consciously?

"Is the crew eating too? Or are we being relegated to the crew lounge during dinner service. Mac and Cheese with a side of bacon, if so. If we're having dinner with the guests, I'll do Salt and pepper calamari, Macadamia crusted barramundi, Hot fudge brownie with ice cream."

"Ed...thur? Arthur? Could I get a refill on the martini, please? This last one was excellent."

6 hours ago, Kristel said:

Mains is a choice of:

Dessert is a choice of:

• Creme brûlée

"Glad to hear you've got more than eggs, chef."

1 hour ago, Hinckley said:

Gabriella looks around, self-consciously?

"Is the crew eating too? Or are we being relegated to the crew lounge during dinner service. Mac and Cheese with a side of bacon, if so. If we're having dinner with the guests, I'll do Salt and pepper calamari, Macadamia crusted barramundi, Hot fudge brownie with ice cream."

"Ed...thur? Arthur? Could I get a refill on the martini, please? This last one was excellent."

"Certainly." Arthur reaches up taking the high shelf gin down again and mixes another drink. "So how is it you came to be one of the only ones in FTL mechanics?"

5 hours ago, Hinckley said:

"Is the crew eating too? Or are we being relegated to the crew lounge during dinner service.

"You sound like you've never been on one of these trips before. Of course we eat with the guests, it's one of the highlights for them, chatting up the crew, hearing about our adventures, real or imagined, and trying to get in our pants, of course. I despise the whole thing, but at least we eat well."

*orders her traditional steak, medium, with sauteed onions and baked potato with butter, sour cream, cheese and crumbled bacon, and garlic toast* "What? I know the secret menu by heart. Plus the assassin and/or spy can't poison food they aren't expecting anyone to order. Dessert? Oh no, that would be fattening, as opposed to all the stuff I already ordered. If I get hungry later, I'm sure I'll find something to satisfy me."

The lounge fills up for dinner as Noah begins to serve his first course. The crew have the same meal choices that they can eat, although just slightly out of view of the passengers. Eventually, it's time for soft music and gambling before bed. 

dWj3VGR.jpg

”Is anyone interested in playing a game of Blackjack? I’m known as quite the card shark you know!”

He grabs a deck of cards from one of the shelves in the lounge. 

“I’ll have a Lunar Martini, please. Hold the olives and extra berries.”

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The steward pours the glass and hands over another pitcher of water over to Charlie. "I'm sorry I don't believe I've ever heard of a Zygon before."

Seymour takes a sip from the glass. "Thank you, very good" "Zygons are giant aliens covered in suckers, they can disguise themselves as other living creatures. They're shapeshifters basically" Seymour puts his hand in his pocket and pulls what appear to be some sweets. He places on them on the table. "These are Zygon detector tablets. You put one in your mouth and if your tongue remains the same colour you're human but if you're tongue turns blue you're probably a zygon is disguise" Seymour pops a sweet in his mouth and stick his tongue out. "See? I'm definitly human. I have lots of these so feel free to test them out"

15 hours ago, Kristel said:

Mains is a choice of:

Dessert is a choice of:

• Creme brûlée

"Sounds nice. I think I'll have a smoked salmon for starts and a Waygu beef burger for mains. For dessert I'll have to have a hot fudge brownie. Can't resist one of those".

2 hours ago, Bob said:

”Is anyone interested in playing a game of Blackjack? I’m known as quite the card shark you know!”

Count me in! I used to play a bit back in the day.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

*Insert image of Alfie Peck because I can’t until later :blush:*

Arthur mixes the drink bringing it over to Alfie, "Deal me in."

51 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

Seymour takes a sip from the glass. "Thank you, very good" "Zygons are giant aliens covered in suckers, they can disguise themselves as other living creatures. They're shapeshifters basically" Seymour puts his hand in his pocket and pulls what appear to be some sweets. He places on them on the table. "These are Zygon detector tablets. You put one in your mouth and if your tongue remains the same colour you're human but if you're tongue turns blue you're probably a zygon is disguise" Seymour pops a sweet in his mouth and stick his tongue out. "See? I'm definitly human. I have lots of these so feel free to test them out"

"Sounds nice. I think I'll have a smoked salmon for starts and a Waygu beef burger for mains. For dessert I'll have to have a hot fudge brownie. Can't resist one of those".

"Intriguing, but if you were a Zygon wouldn't you simply make that up?" Arthur smiles before pocketing one of the tablets for later.

21 hours ago, jimmynick said:

"If I were you, Charlotte, I'd be paranoid about getting up to secret rendezvous on this ship. Who knows what sticky dealings you're involved with, and whether you may need a lawyer to help cover your megablocks." 

Charlotte turns and smiles the smile of a practised politician dealing with... someone like Emily.

"But you are not me, Emily, and thank the heavens I am not you. It may be worth your while to not judge others by your own ... standards." Charlotte waves a hand generally at Emily, and smiles the same smile again. "And I can promise you that our Governmental legal team are legion, so if I get a whiff of anything remotely slanderous from you, they will smack you down so hard you'll think that Georgie is finally doing that thing you like. :wink: " and with a wink and a smile, Charlotte turns away.

20 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Mr. Allen or Arthur would be fine whichever you prefer, Representative Sawyer. Would you like that double on the rocks? We stock some retro Grey Goose if you'd fancy that. As for present company, I'm not one to judge to harshly. Blue Star cruises prides itself on it's clientele." 

"Do you know, the Grey Goose sounds wonderful, but from the freezer please, no ice. Thank you."

Charlotte dines on smoked salmon and barramundi, with a velvety smooth crème brûlée to finish. The mealtime passes quickly it seems, and others are calling out for card games.

"My compliments to the chef! We shall be very lucky to have such fine food for this journey! I don't think I'd like to play cards, but I'll happily watch and drink an after-dinner coffee."

Charlotte moves to sit nearer Jack Mallory, to pick up their conversation from earlier, choosing a seat from which she can still see the card game.

17 hours ago, KotZ said:

I take personal offense to the accusation of being paranoid for putting hairs on my door openings. I write books about spies! Would you not think I have the same tendencies as my beloved character James Bourne? Or his colleague Jason Bauer? Or the spin off series action hero Nicholas Harvath?

"Mr Mallory, please forgive me if I have insulted you, I am merely unused to the concept of an author closely mimicking their creations. I must say, I am very glad you don't write books about serial killers in that case!" she giggles a little, thinking she's being very funny "So please, can you give me an early hint at what your next novel will be about? I am fascinated by your creative process."

8 hours ago, Tariq j said:

dWj3VGR.jpg

"Aliens? What are you on about? We've never found sentient aliens out there."

7 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Arthur mixes the drink bringing it over to Alfie, "Deal me in."

"Intriguing, but if you were a Zygon wouldn't you simply make that up?" Arthur smiles before pocketing one of the tablets for later.

"Thank you, friend!"

He deals both Charlie and Arthur in, leaving the game open to more players.

26 minutes ago, Bob said:

He deals both Charlie and Arthur in, leaving the game open to more players.

We still do that these days? Cool. Deal me in.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, jimmynick said:

"I'm sorry my No. 5 is displeasing to your delicate nostrils. Perhaps I should daub myself in engine oil instead?"

"Bitch."

Gabriella realizes she's had too much to drink.

"Oh, apologies Ma'am. I didn't mean it. I meant...bitch." :hmpf_bad:

23 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Certainly." Arthur reaches up taking the high shelf gin down again and mixes another drink. "So how is it you came to be one of the only ones in FTL mechanics?"

"Oh, just being smart, I guess," Gabriella says between sips, "What about you? What outfit were you with? Were you a pilot? How'd you end up as a steward?"

Gabriella smiles, feeling good about picking up enough social etiquette to ask about...whatever his name is.

19 hours ago, Shadows said:

"You sound like you've never been on one of these trips before. Of course we eat with the guests, it's one of the highlights for them, chatting up the crew, hearing about our adventures, real or imagined, and trying to get in our pants, of course. I despise the whole thing, but at least we eat well."

"I don't ever remember doing that. Sounds awful, though. Sounds like something only getting blackout drunk could get me through...oh, that's why."

16 hours ago, Bob said:

dWj3VGR.jpg

"Deal me in."

Gabriella looks around the lounge, or dining room, or wherever the hell they are at this point.

"Did we eat already? God, this day seems like it's been going on for a week. Has anybody been murdered yet?"

31 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

"Oh, just being smart, I guess," Gabriella says between sips, "What about you? What outfit were you with? Were you a pilot? How'd you end up as a steward?"

Gabriella smiles, feeling good about picking up enough social etiquette to ask about...whatever his name is.

"Smart, plus ambition I'd wager, takes a certain attitude for star-travel." Arthur takes a drink while glancing at his cards. "Jupiter Fleet, Lieutenant on the UES Hephaestus, over 10 years back. Had a string of bad luck... ended up here." Arthur's brow wrinkles slightly with frustration.

56 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Smart, plus ambition I'd wager, takes a certain attitude for star-travel." Arthur takes a drink while glancing at his cards. "Jupiter Fleet, Lieutenant on the UES Hephaestus, over 10 years back. Had a string of bad luck... ended up here." Arthur's brow wrinkles slightly with frustration.

"Jupiter fleet? We were in the same fleet? We called it the Jovian fleet. I must be quite a bit older than you I suppose, then. I was on the UES Juno."

Oblivious to social norms, Gabriella doesn't catch that the steward's naval history may be a touchy subject.

"What sort of bad luck? Ooops, I fell down kind or the Ooops, I banged the Captain's wife kind?"

She finishes off her scotch and picks up her fresh martini.