Bu%C4%9FraQuarry_500px.jpg

Mining in Buğra Quarry has been busy since filling the collapsed tunnel. The dwarves are behind in filling quotas for the villages and settlements to the south, especially the wall at Batuhan. The pay is incomparable and has brought workers from across the continent.

FromTheDeep_500px.jpg

The Buğra Quarry is my third entry into the Summer Joust 2020 contest as well as LOLUG’s July contest. The theme for both was “tri-color”.

The MOC came out a bit larger than I had anticipated. It has at between 8,000 and 10,000 pieces. It felt a bit like I was just spraying down parts at some points while trying to keep the rockwork varied and interesting.

Bifur_500px.jpg

I had been planning a quarry MOC for a few months as a source for all the stone used in an ongoing MOC. You can see a preview of it here and here; I am working on expanding it and will post pictures on my website when I get it done.

GoingDown_500px.jpg

Crane_500px.jpg

I’m also submitting this MOC for review in the University of Petraeas Doctorate of Historica Program under the following category:

• Landscape Design → Studs up rocks and cliffs

Website | Flickr | YouTube

Very nicely done man, especially given the scale of this MOC, keeping it to just three colours and yet making it feel natural. Well done! 

I'm impressed with how you embraced the flat rock concept and really made it look good.  Great job with the layers too, it looks like a busy scene.  Totally impressive that it's only three colors - I have been blown away by many of the entries for that category and your's is not an exception.  :thumbup: for the UoP credit!

On 7/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, adde51 said:

Very nicely done man, especially given the scale of this MOC, keeping it to just three colours and yet making it feel natural. Well done! 

Thanks!  That was my goal.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, Kai NRG said:

I'm impressed with how you embraced the flat rock concept and really made it look good.  Great job with the layers too, it looks like a busy scene.  Totally impressive that it's only three colors - I have been blown away by many of the entries for that category and your's is not an exception.  :thumbup: for the UoP credit!

Since the rock was carved rather than natural, I tried for a flatter look, while not being perfectly flat.  I agree, this category has been much more interesting than I first imagined - it is quite competitive.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:20 AM, Eoin Wallace said:

Looks great! I like the rockwork, dwarves and construction equipment ties it all together nicely.:dhappy:

Thank you!

Nice concept and well executed :thumbup:

I don’t know how the UoP grading works these days but you definitely have my +1 for the studs up rocks and cliffs :classic:

Impressive quarry! The rockwork is great, and you did a very nice job with staging and minifig posing!

It took me a while to comment, because I keep coming back and resting speechless.

This is astonishing! It is so big and so powerful, and to think it only has three colors, just blows my mind. Still, the lack of color variety only adds more depth to this massive creation. I absolutely love the flat rock concept you managed to masterfully keep constant and interesting through the whole build. 

Of course the designs of the mechanisms supporting the quarry also deserve mentioning, as they are aesthetically beautiful and look functional as well. 

All the way, an amazing build, sir Tooker. 

Skol!

On 8/2/2020 at 1:15 AM, Gideon said:

Nice concept and well executed :thumbup:

I don’t know how the UoP grading works these days but you definitely have my +1 for the studs up rocks and cliffs :classic:

Thank you!

On 8/3/2020 at 1:06 AM, Aurore said:

Impressive quarry! The rockwork is great, and you did a very nice job with staging and minifig posing!

Thank you!

On 8/11/2020 at 9:56 AM, Louis of Nutwood said:

It took me a while to comment, because I keep coming back and resting speechless.

This is astonishing! It is so big and so powerful, and to think it only has three colors, just blows my mind. Still, the lack of color variety only adds more depth to this massive creation. I absolutely love the flat rock concept you managed to masterfully keep constant and interesting through the whole build. 

Of course the designs of the mechanisms supporting the quarry also deserve mentioning, as they are aesthetically beautiful and look functional as well. 

All the way, an amazing build, sir Tooker. 

Skol!

I'm glad you like it so much, your complements certainly made the work I put into the MOC feel worth it.  I was hoping the size of the MOC would be enough - it certainly felt bigger while build while building it, but smaller once I started posing figs and taking pictures.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:21 AM, (Luc)ky Luke said:

Love the depth in this build and the construction of the crane. Good job!

Thank you!  I had fun with the crane.