RickyWasAYoungBoy

[MOC] LEGO PRR class GG1

Hello, everybody !

I'm new here :)

I used to post on Mocpages but it's dead now ?

GG1 is so popular that there's a lot of MOCs already. I'm more or less inspired by some of them.  

This one is completed in Stud.io and waiting for building in reality.

I tried hard to make sure all brown bricks are existing ones.gg1_electric_dcc_381-1372006dcc_big.jpg

Bricks count: Approx. 1863 pcs.

Length: 50.9 cm

Width: 8 studs 

Powered by 2 M motors, with RC receiver, 9V battery box

The power, battery and RC modules takes up a lot of space so I didn't build any interior. (Except openable doors)

50078895257_376676f191_k.jpg

The trucks

50079050347_1218cbf8e0_k.jpg

Edited by RickyWasAYoungBoy

49 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Nice. Not a huge fan of the central trucks, but everything else is great.

THANK YOU for your comment. I'm reconsidering that part. And the studs on the body wall annoys me too...

35 minutes ago, RickyWasAYoungBoy said:

THANK YOU for your comment. I'm reconsidering that part. And the studs on the body wall annoys me too...

If you need help, let me know. I enjoy truck design a lot. 

Overall, I'd say you're like 98% of the way there - this thing looks like a complete beast. How many motors do you have inside?

As an aside, it's nice to see someone from China admiring American locomotives. I had actually been considering doing one of these myself!

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

12 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

If you need help, let me know. I enjoy truck design a lot. 

Overall, I'd say you're like 98% of the way there - this thing looks like a complete beast. How many motors do you have inside?

As an aside, it's nice to see someone from China admiring American locomotives. I had actually been considering doing one of these myself!

I put 2 M motors in it. In the noses (under the pantograph)

My other MOCs include Penn. E44 locomotive and Amfleet coach. I love those iconic American trains. Also I made Swiss and Austrian trains too. But that was 8 years ago. Feels kind of rough when I look at it now.

In the middle trucks I used big wheels, same ones as in 10277. Big wheels are thick (full 1 unit width) which makes width control challenging. If you had any ideas of the GG1 trucks I'd be glad if you tell me :)

I think you've achieved a lot of good shaping on this model, especially around the cab windows. Looking forward to seeing it run! 

Great job with the tricky curves on this locomotive. Are those half plate increments on the side of the nose?

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Great job with the tricky curves on this locomotive. Are those half plate increments on the side of the nose?

Thanks.

Yes, they are brackets (according to stud.io classification) on the side of the nose and also on the hood.

2 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I think you've achieved a lot of good shaping on this model, especially around the cab windows. Looking forward to seeing it run! 

Thanks !

Looks great!  I agree that the central trucks aren't quite right and if you simplify them they may not be entirely accurate to the real thing but a suggestion of the shape with more wheel exposed might still look better overall.  I love those big pantographs, and you've made some nice design choices throughout.  The half-plate steps for the sloped sides are nicely done.  Depending on the internal structure of the middle nose sections, you might be able to mount all of the curved bricks together on an incline with gaps that would probably be fillable with something like 2x1x2/3 slotted slopes since it's such a gradual angle and that would smooth the whole thing out even more.

Beautiful build!  :classic:

4 hours ago, deraven said:

Looks great!  I agree that the central trucks aren't quite right and if you simplify them they may not be entirely accurate to the real thing but a suggestion of the shape with more wheel exposed might still look better overall.  I love those big pantographs, and you've made some nice design choices throughout.  The half-plate steps for the sloped sides are nicely done.  Depending on the internal structure of the middle nose sections, you might be able to mount all of the curved bricks together on an incline with gaps that would probably be fillable with something like 2x1x2/3 slotted slopes since it's such a gradual angle and that would smooth the whole thing out even more.

Beautiful build!  :classic:

THANK YOU BRO

2x1x2/3 slope is still too much. This slope equals 2x1x1/6. But anyway mounting all the curved bricks together is a good idea. Worths a try :)

As for the Central trucks, the thickness of outer details must be controlled somewhere within 2/3 bricks height (which is very challenging), otherwise they would come out of the body. 

Alright, worked on this for about 20 minutes. I think it captures the shape decently:

iiKpldG.png

And here is the file:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=30604395172345361241

Obviously, you're going to have to mess with the internals to make it suit the needs of the model, but the shell - at least - could potentially help.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

8 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Alright, worked on this for about 20 minutes. I think it captures the shape decently:

iiKpldG.png

And here is the file:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=30604395172345361241

Obviously, you're going to have to mess with the internals to make it suit the needs of the model, but the shell - at least - could potentially help.

Nice! You caught the holes just right. Yesterday I came up with a solution similar to yours using curved plates. It's a little bit thinner but not so well showed the holes.

12 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Yes, I think that's an improvement!  Looks quite good, I think.  :thumbup:

Hi,

I was wondering if you ever built the GG1 in bricks and had pictures to post?