Sign in to follow this  
Corweena

[SR - Ch III - Cat E] The Last Stand

May 620AE

El Oleonda

The Black Wolf Company has sent one of its Elite "Black Fang" Ranger Units to El Oleonda, heeding Carno's call for mercenary soldiers to assist in the battle on the island. Arriving on the island, the Rangers pressed inland and have been hunting down a group of Lotii soldiers. The Lotii leader writes his commander telling of the situation before making his final stand with his remaining men. 

Most Honorable Daimyo,

I regret to inform you of the imminent failure of my mission. My unit had made excellent progress pressing towards the infernal Carnite settlement Neuburg, until we were set upon by mercenary soldiers, the likes of which we had never seen. These soldiers are far removed from the Carnite and other Imperial forces we usually encounter. They are seasoned trackers and woodsmen, and have been pursuing us for 3 days now, despite our best efforts to evade them in the jungles. They avoid direct engagements with our larger force, preferring irregular and indirect assaults. I have lost too many men to their traps and ambushes they have set, that I can not press on any longer.

We have tried returning to Jiangkai, but lest we give away its location to these devils, we have decided to stand and fight. In order to bring honor to my family and the Kingdom of the Lotus, I will die by the sword....either my enemy's or my own.

For the glory of the Empire!

- Saito Noshimuri

49933599286_491dd1cf82_c.jpg

49933599046_e0074fe14e_c.jpg

49933903912_d543c033b3_c.jpg

Black Fang Rangers

49933598881_69728612c5_c.jpg

The last stand

49933903512_05bc24a4b9_c.jpg

49933903432_f02b6da632_c.jpg

Here are a couple photos with the palm trees removed to see the build details a bit better. 

Spoiler

49933083253_112d27d1ae_c.jpg

49933598556_e5450cabf5_c.jpg

This was a super fun build overall. I was stumped the last 3 days trying to figure out what to build for this category. Sat down tonight and I don't know what clicked, but I just started building, and this was the result. Been a hot minute since I've done any terrain builds like this, and I forgot how much I enjoy it.

C&C welcome, as always.

Edited by Corweena

The terrain looks very good, I like the diversification of landforms and vegetation. I also like the custom built harquebuse, not sure if it's the correct term, that primitive firearm in the hands of one of the Lotii soldiers.

The landscaping looks great! The winding river especially is well-made. Not just the shape of it, but also the transition from blue to brown to green. I love the posing of the minifigs, the Lotii in particular. They're about to spring the perfect ambush!

The intro text helps set the tone and mood, but the "good guys are nearly invincible" is a bit much for my taste. Still, it is very well written and a bit of background is always nice to read. Solid entry!

7 hours ago, Bodi said:

The terrain looks very good, I like the diversification of landforms and vegetation. I also like the custom built harquebuse, not sure if it's the correct term, that primitive firearm in the hands of one of the Lotii soldiers.

Thank you! And yes that is what it is, commonly called a hand cannon, among other things. I saw a post a whole back showing some examples of them, so figured it would be a nice item to add. 

7 hours ago, Khorne said:

The landscaping looks great! The winding river especially is well-made. Not just the shape of it, but also the transition from blue to brown to green. I love the posing of the minifigs, the Lotii in particular. They're about to spring the perfect ambush!

The intro text helps set the tone and mood, but the "good guys are nearly invincible" is a bit much for my taste. Still, it is very well written and a bit of background is always nice to read. Solid entry!

Looking at it now, I kind of agree with you....3am me after 6 hours straight of building thought it was great :pir-laugh:. I may go back and edit it a bit later. 

1 hour ago, Fraunces said:

A very nice entry indeed! Realistic build of the terrain .

Thank you for the kind words!

Terrain Looks really good as the Others Said. I also Like the Diversity of Palm trees.

Fine Entry!

The terrain looks very good. I specifically like the way the rocks were done. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, merc said:

The terrain looks very good. I specifically like the way the rocks were done. :thumbup:

Thank you! They are surprisingly difficult sometimes, particularly in trying to keep the formations looking irregular and natural.

Very nice terrain as others said before me (I particularly like the transition between colors) and a nice depiction of the imminent assault.

Nice entry, the initial text really gives the feel of a desperate military situation and both minifig posing and terrain support your story! Especially the close-up of the warrior with two swords is excellent, probably the best of your entry.

The edited text, in my opinion, is better than the original version, it makes your soldiers appear as seasoned veterans without exaggerating... I know the problem, since I use an irregular unit of chasseurs too in my storylines

13 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Nice entry, the initial text really gives the feel of a desperate military situation and both minifig posing and terrain support your story! Especially the close-up of the warrior with two swords is excellent, probably the best of your entry.

The edited text, in my opinion, is better than the original version, it makes your soldiers appear as seasoned veterans without exaggerating... I know the problem, since I use an irregular unit of chasseurs too in my storylines

Thanks! That is my favorite shot as well. And not sure if you noticed.....but I actually cut down a spare katana to convert it into a wakizashi, the smaller sword Samurai normally carried as a pair with the katana.

49947126597_6cec58beed.jpg

1 hour ago, Corweena said:

Thanks! That is my favorite shot as well. And not sure if you noticed.....but I actually cut down a spare katana to convert it into a wakizashi, the smaller sword Samurai normally carried as a pair with the katana.

That looks good man... I may have just found a use for my dozens and dozens of extra katana... :pir-grin:

23 hours ago, Corweena said:

49947126597_6cec58beed.jpg

Normally I don't condone modifications however you've made a historical accurate change ... So I'm conflicted but I like it

7 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Normally I don't condone modifications however you've made a historical accurate change ... So I'm conflicted but I like it

I bought a few "damaged" ones for 0.03 cents each, so by cutting them shorter, I actually got rid of the bite marks on them lol. That's the main reason I didn't care about cutting them down.