Brickford Landing - The Beginnings of a New Settlement

Major Nathaniel Brickford was enjoying the afternoon walking around the city of Quinnsville admiring all the work that had been put into the settlement in the last year.

49807952027_26c0c012eb.jpg20200422_201845 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The peaceful walk around the city was quickly interrupted however, as the Major's aide de camp Sargent Anthony Andrews, came at a full sprint from around the corner. 

"Major Brickford, you've received an official letter from the Vice President of the RSND!" 

49807952117_1d7c759289.jpg20200422_201912 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

"Well then you'd better hand it over and let me have a look". After glancing at his aide, he added, "and you should probably rest a spell while I do so".

49807090508_b92346015d.jpg20200422_201949 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

"Hmm... this is most interesting and exciting!" Remarked Nathaniel. "We have been selected by the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery to lead a endeavor into the New Haven Sea in order to secure additional territories for Crown of Corrington and offer support to the settlement of Spudkirk once we get up and running".

"Shall I ready a detachment of the Fusiliers for the expedition Sir?"

"Certainly, and extend an invitation to the new Marine Lieutenant that has arrived in King's Harbour. Karlton is his name.  We could use an extra officer on an expedition like this. I will procure a ship suitable for the journey from the docks and we will rendezvous at the barracks".

2 Weeks Later

The Major and his men successfully traversed the waters of the New Haven Sea. After a brief stop at Spudkirk to drop off some needed supplies and pick up a few enlisted men, he departed for new lands. In an effort to limit the time out in the open sea, the Major has opted to go ashore in a sheltered cove on the north of Island 12. Effectively claiming the Island for the Crown of Corrington and dubbing the landing location 'Brickford Landing'. From here a base of operations will be set up to monitor the current events in the region.

49803536298_f9b8328753.jpgBrickford Landing by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The landing went smooth and easy, hopefully signs of what was too come in the future.

49803476613_0a0ca3424e_z.jpgBrickford Landing 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The first order of business was to unload the supplies and establish a beach head in the region. Also, it never hurts to plant a flag to show whose land your on!

49804028581_3d2f2b326b_z.jpgBrickford Landing 3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

49803476078_d7a32ea774_z.jpgBrickford Landing 6 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

In Spudkirk, the expedition picked up a civilian passenger as well. One Tobias Winterbottom. An expert biologist, zoologist and self-proclaimed ''outdoorsman''.

49804028506_de5267d059_z.jpgBrickford Landing 4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

While the Marines first protested about lugging around his suitcase chest, which has enough space for 5 men's belongings, a stern look from the Major changed their tune.

49804028176_ccd1dd7b90_z.jpgBrickford Landing 7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Shortly after landing, Lieutenant Karlton was ordered to secure the perimeter of the landing area and locate a spot close by to set up a basecamp.

49804028391_18ffa7d96e_z.jpgBrickford Landing 5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

With a few Marines following close behind, he set off into the thick jungle to survey the area.

49804332157_6ab4c229eb_z.jpgBrickford Landing 8 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The start of a new settlement is always an adventure. Major Brickford and his men are ready to face any new challenges that come his way on Island 12! (Island name still in Development).

---------------------------------------------------

Island #12 in the New haven Sea is hereby officially claimed for the Crown of Corrington! As this is a pretty much a warzone, the troops are on high alert.

Thanks for checking out my latest build! The landscape doesn't have too much height variation, I used all of my brown, tan, and most of my green on the first layer! C&C are welcome and appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Those damn Corries, snatching up lands left and right and everywhe... nowaitaminute! :pir_laugh2:

Nice story, and a fine build of the landing troops. The vegetation is properly dense, well done! Why the dark grey plate in the background though? It makes the scene look oddly unfinished.

You do realise that leaving dynamite on a boat spells doom for everybody around, due to the spashing of the waves, right? Failed mission on its wayyyyyy :pir-huzzah2: :pir_tong2: :pir-huzzah1::pir_tong2:

Although I would like a bit more detail at the ground, it is a nice landing nevertheless!

Edited by blackdeathgr

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

You do realise that leaving dynamite on a boat spells doom for everybody around, due to the spashing of the waves, right? Failed mission on its wayyyyyy :pir-huzzah2: :pir_tong2:

At least it is Corrington!:pir-laugh::pir-tongue: The ground is not super detailed, but that is fine by me, because in most cases the shrubbery covers things up. Overall, good job! It would be nice to see a complete Brickford landing in the future...

Looks like a well-executed mission, Major Brickford - well done! I shall be looking forward to following you and Karlton's progress in the name of the RSND and her Majesty.

I think you have achieved a very nice effect with your build. Although, as you mention, the elevation is quite limited, I think you have achieved a very compelling effect with that long curving beach and the transition from dark tan, over tan, to green. I attribute the shallowness of the terrain to the cove being subject to very little tide water! :pir-laugh: (To be honest, I didn't notice it at first, which speaks to the effectiveness of your build.)

The vegetation is very nicely done too, and I like all the activity going on around the build. I also like the inclusion of a naturalist - perhaps in time a candidate for the "real" Royal Society? :pir-wink:

17 hours ago, Sir Kingston said:

The Adventure Begins! Great work on the foliage, I can feel the mosquitos fresh island breeze!

13 hours ago, Darnok said:

Those damn Corries, snatching up lands left and right and everywhe... nowaitaminute! :pir_laugh2:

Nice story, and a fine build of the landing troops. The vegetation is properly dense, well done! Why the dark grey plate in the background though? It makes the scene look oddly unfinished.

Thanks! Well, the sad truth is that I ran out of brown, green and tan plates... which is why the beach is a little narrow in my opinion.

6 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

You do realise that leaving dynamite on a boat spells doom for everybody around, due to the spashing of the waves, right? Failed mission on its wayyyyyy :pir-huzzah2: :pir_tong2: :pir-huzzah1::pir_tong2:

Although I would like a bit more detail at the ground, it is a nice landing nevertheless!

Lol! Now that I think about it, you're quite right!

Thanks! Because of the size of the baseplate, 48x80, I simply ran out of those color plates!

4 hours ago, Beleg the Ranger said:

At least it is Corrington!:pir-laugh::pir-tongue: The ground is not super detailed, but that is fine by me, because in most cases the shrubbery covers things up. Overall, good job! It would be nice to see a complete Brickford landing in the future...

Thanks! Yes, I have lots of grass and bamboo elements, I figured they would be a nice distraction from the flat ground!

Brickford Landing will grow into a full fledged settlement, at least that is the plan!

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

Looks like a well-executed mission, Major Brickford - well done! I shall be looking forward to following you and Karlton's progress in the name of the RSND and her Majesty.

I think you have achieved a very nice effect with your build. Although, as you mention, the elevation is quite limited, I think you have achieved a very compelling effect with that long curving beach and the transition from dark tan, over tan, to green. I attribute the shallowness of the terrain to the cove being subject to very little tide water! :pir-laugh: (To be honest, I didn't notice it at first, which speaks to the effectiveness of your build.)

The vegetation is very nicely done too, and I like all the activity going on around the build. I also like the inclusion of a naturalist - perhaps in time a candidate for the "real" Royal Society? :pir-wink:

Thank you! Lieutenant Karlton and Major Brickford are coordinating efforts towards the settlements future.

I'm glad that the build came across the way I had intended it too!

I have a ton of vegetation, so I used pretty much all of it to hide the flatness of the ground! I tried to go for lots of activity without it seeming to busy, kind of like a half figbarf instead of a full one.

The naturalist is actually one of the first things that I came up with! I thought it would make for some fun storylines in the future as well!

Major Brown will land in Brickford landing in a couple of days with supplies and Men for further buildings and establishing a first docking area for larger vessels at the Port.

For the Moc I can say that I like the overall atmosphere of stuff that is going on as first things start to grow and I like the flora a lot. On the other hand I have to say that altough I understand the want for big Moc's, I have to admit that I'd prefer smalller ones with more Details, including for example more elevation and more detail in the ground. Getting more bricks is always an option too but in the end it's up to you. Personally I'm just for higher Build quality (definetely including me too) than quantity.

Spoiler

This may sound a bit harsh, which propably also comes from the fact that English is not my first language but I really do mean it in a positive way. Till lately I did comment only really rarely because I always think I seem unfriendly, the not commenting may just increase this but I don't hope so :pir-sceptic:

Definetely looking forward in what direction the settlement will go for. Military, Agricultur or big productions? We'll see....

18 minutes ago, Legonaut said:

Major Brown will land in Brickford landing in a couple of days with supplies and Men for further buildings and establishing a first docking area for larger vessels at the Port.

For the Moc I can say that I like the overall atmosphere of stuff that is going on as first things start to grow and I like the flora a lot. On the other hand I have to say that altough I understand the want for big Moc's, I have to admit that I'd prefer smalller ones with more Details, including for example more elevation and more detail in the ground. Getting more bricks is always an option too but in the end it's up to you. Personally I'm just for higher Build quality (definetely including me too) than quantity.

Hide contents

This may sound a bit harsh, which propably also comes from the fact that English is not my first language but I really do mean it in a positive way. Till lately I did comment only really rarely because I always think I seem unfriendly, the not commenting may just increase this but I don't hope so :pir-sceptic:

Definetely looking forward in what direction the settlement will go for. Military, Agricultur or big productions? We'll see....

We will welcome a fellow Corlander Officer and the addition of more men to the new settlement!

I completely agree with you. I went for size in this build to 1. find the limit on what I could build and 2. I just didn't feel that I could get the desired effect and the amount of minifigs I wanted in something any smaller.

Spoiler

No need to apologize! I can understand the slight language barrier. I like large builds, but alas, I don't have nearly all the pieces that I could want to do them ''properly''! Except for Digital builds, my main default size is right around the 32x32 baseplate. I think it's just the right size to include a good amount of detail without going over the top.

The settlement ought to be a fun endeavor for all of us! I am personally very excited!

Nice scene, I like how large the build looks, the beach is filled with palm trees, as we may expect from builds depicting tropical regions.