Sir Kingston

[GoC - COR] Cocovian Watchtower

On Hussar's Isle, Cocovia, an abandoned watchtower caught the attention of the local authorities, as such an emplacement could bolster the defense of the island. Another landing party was assembled, this time with a detachment of Marines and the newly implemented Naval Engineering Corps. This experimental unit consisted only of officers and midshipman, due to the complexity of their trade. Lieutenant Karlton was, of course, assigned this monotonous task. Karlton was quite displeased, while the other officers got assigned to glorious ship of the lines, he got to be an overseer. The local Marine captain warned him, saying that he shouldn't be too aggressive, most of those officers are better learned and ranked than he was! Karlton, much to his surprise, was given command of HMS Juniper, an unarmed cargo sloop. (I now have a thread with a more refined and licensed HMS Juniper) Once again, he walked across the dock and loaded his vessel, anchored in King's Harbour, and set out to another remote and unnoticeable spit of shore. Once they arrived, a small jolly boat was found and the engineering team surveyed and inspected the condition of the structure. The town's expert mapmaker was also hired and was to work with the engineer's to determine the exact location and feasibility of such an emplacement. A map of the Cocovian locality was provided and the Naval Engineers reviewed the information. I wasn't anything new, but with a better understanding of the structure, they concluded that it was unlikely that the tower would be around for much longer. The Naval Engineer's commander, Captain Vaughn, found from the jolly boat, that the foundation would be terribly waterlogged, and that the water had rendered it unsalvageable. The night grew dark, and Karlton suggested they turn back to port. Karlton pretended that it was that the Admiralty would be dissatisfied if the information were any delayed than necessary, but really it was the tough of an unarmed sloop within the range of hostile guns. It probably wasn't a valid concern, but being an untested junior officer, he only knew the stories. Still, Karlton wondered what lay ahead, surely a Queen's officer in the Royal Corrington Marines had more in store for him than menial chores.

Cocovian WatchtowerCocovian WatchtowerCocovian WatchtowerCocovian Watchtower

49775196976_91c8625441_k.jpgCocovian Watchtower by WanderingSalad Dressing, on Flickr

Task 2: "Redcoats Rule" C&C Most Welcome!

Edited by Sir Kingston
Hussar's Isle

A nice looking build! I like the front façade on the watchtower and the yellow and white are a nice combo. It is a nice touch to add the interior as well. The nighttime pic is probably my favorite!

The ship has some potential for sure. The rear is nice as well as the sail plan (although some sail would be a nice addition!) you loose me at the front though... It looks a bit too bulky and wide for my taste. I would consider making it a bit pointier and take off the extra studed bits around the bow.

Nice story, nice tower (which I like that it has interior decorations as well) and my only remarks are regarding the ship where as LM said, I believe skipping the plates at the bow and providing her with a sail or two (even paper ones) will totally enhance her looks.

I'll probably begin with some temporary paper sails, and I'll see what I can do about the front...(I've had my doubts as well) I have some bricklink pieces on order that should fix that or at least mitigate that problem. I will make a thread once I figure it out!

The story is a very nice one indeed! Love the classic athmosphere like the old LEGO advertisements :thumbup::pir-classic:

22 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

A nice looking build! I like the front façade on the watchtower and the yellow and white are a nice combo. It is a nice touch to add the interior as well. The nighttime pic is probably my favorite!

Thanks! I might try some more nighttime pics in the future with my studded leds

21 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice story, nice tower (which I like that it has interior decorations as well) and my only remarks are regarding the ship where as LM said, I believe skipping the plates at the bow and providing her with a sail or two (even paper ones) will totally enhance her looks.

I definitely agree! I wasn't very pleased with the result and some bricklink parts should fix that

10 hours ago, Fraunces said:

The story is a very nice one indeed! Love the classic atmosphere like the old LEGO advertisements :thumbup::pir-classic:

That's what I was going for!

Although the ship needs sails, great job! The yellow and white walls and the simple interior of the watchtower simply exude classic atmosphere. The small crane is also a vintage touch.

A neat little boat, I like the use of hinges, though I'm not sure about the plates on the bow, are those intended to be armor plates? The tower looks nice, a classic one.

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

A neat little boat, I like the use of hinges, though I'm not sure about the plates on the bow, are those intended to be armor plates? The tower looks nice, a classic one.

I was trying to shape the bow and cover up some white and grey hinge pieces, but it didn't quite get the effect I was looking for... I've never thought about armour plating, I try to be as true to history as possible! I guess I've accidentally created an ironclad:pir_tong2:

Edited by Sir Kingston

As of right now that’s a bit of a challenge for me, But some bricklink parts should fix that!

5 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Sir Kingston It's a nice build. I'd like to see you experiment with Studs Not On Top building. Think it would work well for you.

I love the tower; it definitely has the throwback look of classic Pirate legos with some nice upgrades. I also find your posing of the figures to be well done and the night scene with the light is awesome. :thumbup:

Just now, SilentWolf said:

I love the tower; it definitely has the throwback look of classic Pirate legos with some nice upgrades. I also find your posing of the figures to be well done and the night scene with the light is awesome. :thumbup:

Thanks!

Another strong GoC entry Sir Kingston. Like others have mentioned I also like the 'classic' feel of this one. The construction scene makes a nice change to completed structures. For the next GoC build I'd like to see some more work on the rocks as they look a little unnatural. Introducing some more plates, slopes or even tiles and bulking them up a little would probably work. A :thumbup: from me.

Have you considered changing the location to Hussar's Isle? It's a small island located in the northern reaches of Cocovia and the style of the tower I think fits with what Bregir has already built there. Just an idea - not sure if you had seen that settlement which could definitely use some love!

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Have you considered changing the location to Hussar's Isle? It's a small island located in the northern reaches of Cocovia and the style of the tower I think fits with what Bregir has already built there. Just an idea - not sure if you had seen that settlement which could definitely use some love!

I might do that, I haven’t licensed it in any way so that might work!