And just like that you turned the 42108 into a Creator 5 in 1 set. :laugh:
And really nice models too! Would love to see the roll-off truck in some more angles if it's still in one piece.

54 minutes ago, jshuiting said:

And just like that you turned the 42108 into a Creator 5 in 1 set. :laugh:
And really nice models too! Would love to see the roll-off truck in some more angles if it's still in one piece.

I wasn't only one,  @M_longer helped as well :laugh:
there were more photos of his truck under his thread and on instagram as well! :wink:

4 hours ago, TGBDZ said:

I wasn't only one,  @M_longer helped as well :laugh:
there were more photos of his truck under his thread and on instagram as well! :wink:

Dang, wouldn't be the first nor the last time i missed something! :laugh:
But those are some mighty fine designs anyway! :thumbup:

One thing i meant to ask before, was the utility truck based on a real vehicle btw? it looks really familiar, reminds me a bit of the IFA multicar.

Edited by jshuiting

15 hours ago, TGBDZ said:

Business is business - from official Lego channels there were some info that by their "research" less then 50% or even less people built only the A models and therfore Lego decided to save time and skip designing the B-models for a lot of their releases.

Looks like they decided to save time and skip designing the A-model too :head_back:

Seriously though, I hate 42108, it’s a total stinker for what it costs. All these beautiful B-models that have been coming out put the A-model to absolute shame.

Edited by Bartybum

@TGBDZ and @M_longer both of you are doing a great job by coming up with these interesting alternate models for 42108. I am sure many of them who might have initially planned to skip this set would definitely give it a second thought.

Sorry for deviating bit off topic - it is interesting to see that the AFOLs community is getting more innovative with TLG dropping B-models lately. I guess this should motivate or should be an eye opener for TGL to bring back b-models for Technic sets.

30 minutes ago, arijitdas said:

@TGBDZ and @M_longer both of you are doing a great job by coming up with these interesting alternate models for 42108. I am sure many of them who might have initially planned to skip this set would definitely give it a second thought.

Sorry for deviating bit off topic - it is interesting to see that the AFOLs community is getting more innovative with TLG dropping B-models lately. I guess this should motivate or should be an eye opener for TGL to bring back b-models for Technic sets.

:thumbup:

Great alternative builds guys!

I would like to see the return not only of B-models but also of universal builder sets. I don't want to discuss knock-off Lego, but some alternative have universal builder sets and advertise them for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). These subjects seem to be popular in Asia and with the Lego company focusing more on Asia, hopefully such universal builder sets will return.

16 hours ago, jshuiting said:

Dang, wouldn't be the first nor the last time i missed something! :laugh:
But those are some mighty fine designs anyway! :thumbup:

One thing i meant to ask before, was the utility truck based on a real vehicle btw? it looks really familiar, reminds me a bit of the IFA multicar.

Happens :laugh:

Yes, the inspiration has been taken from Bobcat Toolcat (https://www.bobcat.com/utility-products/toolcat/features)

It has plenty of attachments available, but from the 42108 parts the shovel was the easiest and best solution in my opinion for the front attachment. From the leftover parts it's possible to make a flatbed trailer :classic:

12 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Looks like they decided to save time and skip designing the A-model too :head_back:

Seriously though, I hate 42108, it’s a total stinker for what it costs. All these beautiful B-models that have been coming out put the A-model to absolute shame.

:laugh:
Well, I wouldn't say that it's a total stinker but You can obviously see where they have cut corners to reduce the part number and decerase the overall cost of the set. For 120 euros I think it's a decent sized crane but then again, I am one of those who really liked the 8071 set as well :laugh:

Heh, thanks! 

7 hours ago, arijitdas said:

Thanks! I'm glad that we can help and show people that usually with every set there is more than meets the eye, and that it's possible to build more and even better models then the original set! 

I think that the B-models will be only on rare ocassions.. why spend time on a single set and try to squeeze out another build out of it rather using the same time designing completly different build. Two sets on shelves instead of one will be more obvious choice for every company. 

6 hours ago, Go-Kart said:

Great alternative builds guys!

I would like to see the return not only of B-models but also of universal builder sets. I don't want to discuss knock-off Lego, but some alternative have universal builder sets and advertise them for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). These subjects seem to be popular in Asia and with the Lego company focusing more on Asia, hopefully such universal builder sets will return.

For now I guess that the EV3 and other "programmable" sets fill the roles of universal builder sets.. but they are expensive.. time will tell, maybe Asia market will shake some things up a bit. :classic:

On 4/7/2020 at 8:16 PM, Tomik said:

Both models look good and simple. I like excavator more - I like how you made working arm with just one linear actuator. If you are looking for some ideas you can try to build harbour crane similar to alternative model of set 8053.

I had the same idea as Tomik, to build a harbour crane. Well no coincidence, I own 8053 too and also built the alternate back then. Plus I might have built other harbour cranes in the past. So I had to do it for 42108 as well, and here it is.

No part is an exact copy of 8053-B, but I took a lot of inspiration from it, and the functions are basically the same. Including the container that can be grabbed. A notable improvement compared to 8053-B is the increased distance it can slide on the base, it always bugged me how it was limited by the support beams on the original. Also I had to give it a distinct horse head jib at the top, which 8053-B was unfortunately missing.

I will make instructions for it, but with more than 1000 parts this might take some time. Plus I've got two instructions for alternates from other smaller sets nearly done that will be published before.

800x800.jpg

18 hours ago, Nequmodiva said:

I had the same idea as Tomik, to build a harbour crane. Well no coincidence, I own 8053 too and also built the alternate back then. Plus I might have built other harbour cranes in the past. So I had to do it for 42108 as well, and here it is.

No part is an exact copy of 8053-B, but I took a lot of inspiration from it, and the functions are basically the same. Including the container that can be grabbed. A notable improvement compared to 8053-B is the increased distance it can slide on the base, it always bugged me how it was limited by the support beams on the original. Also I had to give it a distinct horse head jib at the top, which 8053-B was unfortunately missing.

I will make instructions for it, but with more than 1000 parts this might take some time. Plus I've got two instructions for alternates from other smaller sets nearly done that will be published before.

It looks great! I like its overall design. Just wheels with tires doesn't fit it well - I thought these cranes move on rails...

15 hours ago, arijitdas said:

@Nequmodiva your alternate looks great too. Would love to see more images of your build.

Thank you! Ok, here are two more. I'm not good at making photos of such big models.

800x533.jpg

800x800.jpg

5 hours ago, TGBDZ said:

@Nequmodiva
Very nice work, would love to see it in action as well. How well is it balanced on the maximum reach? 

Thank you! The upper structure is not balanced on its own at maximum reach, though the base stabilizes it.

4 hours ago, Tomik said:

It looks great! I like its overall design. Just wheels with tires doesn't fit it well - I thought these cranes move on rails...

Thank you! Yes I know about the wheels and was debating the tire usage during the build myself. I guess it's a personal preference, most of the time I have an odd feeling about wheel rims without tires. :grin: