Haven't built anything from Technic for more than a year now, so I thought to give it a go in times we live now. Not going to reveal much plans upfront, prefer keeping it in secrecy. However from name (not final though, but may hint a little) you may figure out my model is planned to be built in a shape of pickup.

To start with MOC I've built V8 with working pistons. It will be driven by some gears and face flywheel on the other side. Colors aren't final as it is still a WIP and I'm missing some parts. Anyone could suggest LEGO compatible 3rd party silicone rubber bands? 4 x 4 works (I got single one), but puts a little too much friction than I would have preferred.

49734232752_6f4853c177_c.jpg

49733363443_830895c582_c.jpg

I've also made an engine trolley to show off the engine, this little MOC is presented here. 

49733907786_1bdb981db2_c.jpg

Edited by zux

Looks great. I love the idea used for the caster wheels on the cart.  I have used the airplane nose wheels before, but I think this is a better solution.

Maybe you should place the engine in the bed of the pickup so you can admire it. 

On 4/4/2020 at 5:41 PM, I_Igor said:

Perhaps something like this could be idea for content (but it is a Cab Over Truck); yes it has engine at the rear :wink:

https://pin.it/4ISNhMC

Yeah, there is now way that engine will fit in front of 15-stud wide body with steering and suspension :wink:

Front and rear axles are ready now.

49741810617_6bd3a08cab_c.jpg

49741810632_3e0a05c100_c.jpg

I know, that is why I'm in phase of testing what kind of suspension I can make not to exceed 15 studs limit...and if I manage that, then only small engine could be Implemented...

My initial plan was pickup hotrod but to make it correct it had to be 17 studs wide...

Finally receive fenders. So it is time to attempt in building a body. Dark Azure is a little hard to work with due to lack of some generic parts in this color, but seems to be doable.

49767961036_faa5ec0d8e_c.jpg

49767428593_b3be0c7335_c.jpg

Edited by zux

Dark azure could be great color and if you can use Mustang rims with it it would be great IMHO.

I especially like the rasta hood, it adds a pinch of playfulness to the character. :thumbup:

For the bed, I think the oldschool Ford Flairside style would match perfectly here:

s-l300.jpg

BTW, my favorite Matchbox, ever...

14 minutes ago, agrof said:

like the rasta hood

It is not rasta, those are Lithuania flag colors.

Ups, indeed - sorry, I must refresh my memories.

TBH, that's the usual practise of using the most colorful and easy to distinguish parts, so it easy to count them, how many I'm still missing. So, none of the flags were meant to be designed here, although I like the idea about rasta hood. Something to consider!

19 hours ago, agrof said:

For the bed, I think the oldschool Ford Flairside style would match perfectly here:

s-l300.jpg

BTW, my favorite Matchbox, ever...

The overall body shape and proportions for this MOC are, mostly, influenced by Mazda Rotary pickup. So it is not going to look like the classic US pickup truck, more like the usual car with a bed.

Taking the right shape now. It is a bit of pain designing a nice looking door handle with limited selection of Dark Azure parts. Any ideas?

49771879483_be154a52af_c.jpg

I like the side view proportions a lot. @Jurss and @agrof you could spot few more flags (not intentional) in this picture as well :wink:

49771879518_f01a641175_c.jpg

The back isn't something I'm currently happy with. It is just the first design iteration though, so hopefully it is going to look better soon. Oh, and spare wheel is HoG.

49772413261_dd497a90d2_c.jpg

Edited by zux

As name suggests it is "wrong pickup", which is play of words:

• picked up wrong item (the engine), which is now used to propulsion;
  • pickup (vehicle) which not like the rest of pickups and is now wrong/useless since it can no longer be used to transport other stuff.

There is also no way this engine would fit under the hood with the way front suspension is built right now. Looking at other TC18 models I see it is possible to achieve similar goal (getting V8 in front), but then it would require entire rebuild of the front (probably coming with a very similar solutions to an existing TC18 entries, which will look like copying) and much more compact (less impressive in terms of looks) engine. So I'd rather have it different and keep it that way.

So yeah, engine will stay at the back.

Edited by zux

Feels like I am watching Fun with Flags with Mr. Sheldon Cooper. :wink:

Maybe if you move the rear lights on the rear bumper, than they would help to blend the connectors better into the view. Just a guess.

4 hours ago, zux said:

As name suggests it is "wrong pickup", which is play of words:

• picked up wrong item (the engine), which is now used to propulsion;
  • pickup (vehicle) which not like the rest of pickups and is now wrong/useless since it can no longer be used to transport other stuff.

There is also no way this engine would fit under the hood with the way front suspension is built right now. Looking at other TC18 models I see it is possible to achieve similar goal (getting V8 in front), but then it would require entire rebuild of the front (probably coming with a very similar solutions to an existing TC18 entries, which will look like copying) and much more compact (less impressive in terms of looks) engine. So I'd rather have it different and keep it that way.

So yeah, engine will stay at the back.

Roadkill brought a repu mazda that had a oldsmobile 455 in the tray. It's not a uncommon thing a number of show trucks / utes in the states did the same thing. 

16 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Roadkill brought a repu mazda that had a oldsmobile 455 in the tray. It's not a uncommon thing a number of show trucks / utes in the states did the same thing. 

Yeah, Mazdarati is a bit of inspiration as well.

Relocated the rear lights - looks cleaner now. But then I've also noticed the nice combination of Dark Azure with Yellow and Orange. Need to explore this combination a little further.

49776337112_359ac269bd_c.jpg

It turns out combination of yellow, orange and red with dark azure doesn't look too bad.

49776113888_6babd0fc41_c.jpg

It is not color vomit, it is actually Toyota racing stripes. :wink: Looks perfect here! :thumbup:

Spoiler

caa5545f-6661-4d98-a48e-09c33700a2e0-jpg

Maybe the license plate... 1x3 or 1x4 tile instead?

Edited by agrof

22 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

You mean something like I posted in this post above?

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/176745-tc18-wrong-pickup/&do=findComment&comment=3219207

That's not color vomit :laugh: Pickup is still mostly Dark Azure, with some extra stripes on the side. At some point I was thinking maybe I should try swapping yellow/orange/red stripes with just white beams.

43 minutes ago, agrof said:

It is not color vomit, it is actually Toyota racing stripes:wink: Looks perfect here! :thumbup:

Hide contents

caa5545f-6661-4d98-a48e-09c33700a2e0-jpg

Maybe the license plate... 1x3 or 1x4 tile instead?

Didn't know this was Toyota's thingy. For some reason I always thought they were called "sunset stripes". Wonder if there are other names?

Plate is just placeholder for now, sadly don't have 2x3 tile yet.

33 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

He meant Mazdarati featured by Roadkill. It is more of a Light Utility Vehicle (LUV) than the classic pickup truck.

@zux ironically  78 mack factory valueliner stripes and yes I have seen a hilux in this paint scheme before

post-10557-0-43816500-1421705308.jpg

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

That's a COE  your more likely to see a Ford econo line with a rear engine done as a show ute.