Marxpek

[MOC] X-MARXX 8rc, 8 buggy motor and 4 BuWizz rc car

Hello all here is my latest build, inspired by the Traxxas X-MAXX 8s remote controlled car.

The idea was to build a car as "compact" as possible while using 8 buggy motors, 2 for each wheel to give it decent power, as you might notice the buggy motors are at a 90 degree angle from each other, this is to prevent them sticking out the front and back, the chassis needed tall shock towers anyway so it was a nice fit.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

The front suspension and steering is built fairly sturdy, however crashing with this power, you can brace all you like, it is just going to break as you can see in the video.. The newer type cv-joints are used at the motor end, but since i did not want to use the new hub with its reduction, i used the "old" cv joints with the hubs, and yes, it does "eat" the joints and/or the hubs when something is not sitting correctly.  the front has a dampener, a large thin pneumatic actuator, normally hidden by a panel, it is shared with both sides and does.. very little.. but is was fun to integrate. The front springs are from the 8420 motorcycle, adjustable in stiffness, but less stiff them most people imagine them to be, these just seems to fit the build, sadly i didn't have more yellow ones for the rear.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

The steering uses 2 servos, not only to give it more torque for steering, but also to help reduce the slack from the gear rack to the 12z gear, The two 12z gears on the rack are both offset by 1 tooth, but against each other, the long axle going to the servo's are under a bit of stress but nothing serious, it really helps reducing the slack on the steering. To further prevent slack from the hubs they are steered with the front links and stabilized the rear links, the next picture shows the 2 gears on the same rack (car is upside down), you can also see the imprint of a 5L axle from the bumper on the 5x7 frame after a crash..

800x450.jpg

The rear suspension has the same drive setup, but since it is more fixed and less likely to get damaged in a crash, it never destroyed any joints or hubs, here i also integrated dampener in the form of small pneumatic actuator on each side, which again.. do very little.. but was fun to integrate, it also has a torsion bar going from one axle to the other to prevent body roll, let's just say it was fun to integrate :) The grey springs are the exact same as the yellow ones, but these come off the Lego 8369 rc "dirt crusher" set, i happened to have these 4 spring, considered to get 2 more yellow ones, then i saw the price.. and went with mismatched colors.. so please forgive me i cheaped out...

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

The body started out as a crawler body, and got heavily modified, extended in every way, added 4 seats for Technic figures and a new color scheme, It is fully detachable with 5 pins. The front and rear lights are in the chassis but they line up perfectly with the translucent bricks on the body, making it easy to get to the buwizz for charging or turning them on.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

The video and pictures have some inconsistencies in them, i know.. but i have had 3 horrible crashes, that required rebuilds plus some roadside repairs here and there, some i forgot to give the proper fix later on.. shooting the video took me a bit longer because of the same reason, i need to practice my driving skill... or not go to a skatepark when it is wet... or just not build in overkill mode...

800x450.jpg

Thanks for reading! if you have questions or comments, feel free to ask of course! 

Marx.

I like it, its incredibly powerful and fast, but the video is the worst asmr ever. The sound of bricks breaking on the car hurts my insides.

So much power :wub:

is that a anti-roll bar that I see ?

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Marxpek said:

800x450.jpg

And what is the purpose of the pneumatics pumps ?

Anyway, superb vehicle.

Wow, this is amazing and has a clever name! I like how you used the bumper and shocks from that weird line of RC cars. Do two servos actually reduce slack noticeably?

What a great vehicle!  You've got some nice solutions integrated there to handle the power you're putting into it, and the aesthetics are still good, so definitely a successful design in my book.  Maybe add some shock absorption (or crumple plates) to the front bumper assembly to help reduce your repair bills at the garage?  :wink:

thanks all,

On 1/26/2020 at 5:50 PM, Touc4nx said:

is that a anti-roll bar that I see ?

yes i called it a "torsion bar to prevent body roll" I see, will edit it, thanks!

On 1/26/2020 at 5:50 PM, Touc4nx said:

And what is the purpose of the pneumatics pumps ?

some dampening of the springs, barely works tho..

On 1/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Do two servos actually reduce slack noticeably?

well yes and no, the gear rack mesh with the 12z gears has about zero slack, you cannot move it by hand unless you force it, but the rest of the steering (links, pins,hubs) has the same slack as usual, so it helps, but that is about it. The 2 servos do help a lot with steering, just because of the doubled torque, this was the main reason to use them.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, Gray Gear said:

The sound of bricks breaking on the car hurts my insides.

I've had several fast models spray their parts over concrete sidewalks or walls sadly, the sound i grew used to, the walk towards the crash site however...it is the worst... "are my electronics ok?..." it gets expensive fast.. i consider myself lucky to "only" have destroyed 2 buggy motors with all my models crashes..

On 1/26/2020 at 8:40 PM, deraven said:

Maybe add some shock absorption (or crumple plates) to the front bumper assembly to help reduce your repair bills at the garage?  :wink:

I fear with this weight and power any part can get destroyed in a head on collision, i think the only way to reduce the repair bill is to disassemble it.. make it bigger, rear wheel drive only, a crumble-zone steering unit and maybe put in a few more motors in it!  much safer ;D