StudWorks

Indentifying a Fake Piece From Bricklink Order

I ordered some pieces on BrickLink and this one piece looks different than the other pieces that were obviously real Lego.

pv5MJvy.jpgUqSCljR.jpg

This piece has "BL" logos on the studs instead of "LEGO" and there is no text on the bottom. The piece also feels different when connected to genuine Lego pieces.

As this piece was ordered on BrickLink, the "BL" makes me a bit confused, though I believe Bricklink wouldn't intentionally make a fake Lego piece.

Any thoughts? :look:

Does it not lock strongly enough with other pieces?  I would have never caught that.   I'd probably keep it myself unless the color or look was way off

1 hour ago, gyromuff said:

I'd probably keep it myself unless the color or look was way off

Would you not worry about  the risk of contamination of your LEGO collection? :laugh:

7 hours ago, gyromuff said:

I would have never caught that.

Most clones muff the color match. I can usually tell right off the bat that there is something wrong with a brick as soon as I pick up a handful.
Then there is the feel and finish of the surface, shape of the stud, injection mold markings in odd/wrong places and ofcourse the lack of LEGO on every stud.
I'll grant that some clone bricks actually slip by me on the initial sort BECAUSE of their raised lettering on the studs. But they are pretty obvious on the subsequent sort as they'll be mixed in only with like bricks and their other features really make them stand out.

6 hours ago, JanetVanD said:

Would you not worry about  the risk of contamination of your LEGO collection?

I used to not toss my clone bricks as I used to be more financially limited than currently. Now I purge religiously because I can literally afford to.

7 hours ago, JanetVanD said:

Would you not worry about  the risk of contamination of your LEGO collection? :laugh:

If the piece was not exposed where it can clearly be seen to look different then I would be ok with contamination.  If it is buried within the build it is ok with me but i'm a beginner here so i'm not too serious yet. 

i'm sure the seller would give you a small refund. And then you throw it directly in the trash or in a donation bag.

I've picked up 'mixed' collections in the past and I ussualy take al the fake Lego and drop it off at the Library (the one in our town hosts Lego building events for kids, who I presume might not care)

On 1/23/2020 at 3:31 PM, Masked Mini said:

I used to not toss my clone bricks as I used to be more financially limited than currently. Now I purge religiously because I can literally afford to.

@Masked Mini: I believe there is a lot of wisdom and reality in your reply.

Regards,
Thorsten

2 hours ago, Gomek said:

I've picked up 'mixed' collections in the past and I ussualy take al the fake Lego and drop it off at the Library (the one in our town hosts Lego building events for kids, who I presume might not care)

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is an offence!

Just kidding, of course, that giving kids clone bricks is an offence ?