Murdoch17

2-10-0 "Austerity" class steam locomotive + UK freight train - real life finished MOC!

The War Department "Austerity" 2-10-0 is a type of steam heavy freight locomotive that was introduced in WWII in 1943. It was designed by R.A. Riddles, the same man who latter went on to design the British Railways 9F 2-10-0 type. I've backdated my 1950's 9F type into this 1940's Austerity class by removing the side smoke deflectors and changing around some small features here and there.

50373013601_d9abf889a6_z.jpg

As most of this engine still existed as-built from my previous 9F build from 2014 (that itself was inspired by @ScotNick's model of Thomas and Friends' 9F-type engine Murdoch) or so, I just needed to get wheels, a tender draw-bar connector, pistons / side-rods, and the little bit of parts to convert it to a Austerity type.

50372313828_ae18f4e9f9_z.jpg

The tender has "BR" printed on it in 1 x 1 tiles, standing for British Railways, as this engine was placed into service with the newly nationalized rail network after service with the War Department during WWII (around early 1948). However, it still is carrying it's War-time grayscale color scheme at this point in the early 1950's, lending to it's nickname the "Gray Ghost".

50372353493_187d2f6a37_z.jpg

The cab of the engine, with firebox in the middle.

In the real world, the Austerity 2-10-0 class engine was designed and built during the Second World War as an British export locomotive, with some going as far away as Greece, the Netherlands, or Syria, while a few stayed in the UK to be worked by the War Department, and later, British Railways. All but three of the ones from the UK (of which one was owned by the Longmoor Military Railway) survived mass scrapping in 1962 and were preserved, while a fourth was brought back from the Netherlands and also survives. (There are also a few derelict versions in Greece, while a museum in the Netherlands has an engine as well, albeit in much better condition than the Greek locos.)

50372313843_0d792f141a_z.jpg

All credit for the BR plank wagon model seen in the picture above goes to @Pdaitabird, who designed them. See here for an awesome step-by-step tutorial by the original builder of the BR plank wagon.

50373177782_7c33254eb8_z.jpg

Original design by Flickr user Fireglo450 in 2013, revised by me in 2020. See here for the original inspirational model.

50373177452_13ebd284ee_z.jpg

Here we see the whole gravel train at an "on-it's-side" view for maximum viewing. This train is destined for the Gravel loading facility where it will be loaded with crushed stone for either rail ballast or concrete works projects elsewhere in the country.

As usual, comments, questions, and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

12681157664_556f079beb_z.jpg

My original, 2014 design of the 9F variety. (which was a chronic bad runner due to the BFBFB wheel arrangement and bad pony truck placement.)

V.S.

49451941601_be39b5c91f_z.jpg

The 2020 redesign in Austerity format, which I can push and let go off and it just runs down the track.... no problem! It's amazing what a new wheel (FBBFB) arrangement can do , right?

Anyway, the first post is now updated with real life pictures of the updated model. Feedback would be appreciated!

Looks good and I'm glad to hear it runs better with the new wheel arrangement! Looking at this picture of the original, my only suggestion would be maybe lowering the cylinders and running plates. But if it runs well, why mess with it?! (I've learned that lesson the hard way!)

On 1/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, Pdaitabird said:

Looks good and I'm glad to hear it runs better with the new wheel arrangement! Looking at this picture of the original, my only suggestion would be maybe lowering the cylinders and running plates. But if it runs well, why mess with it?! (I've learned that lesson the hard way!)

Thank you! I've just added a freight train for the engine to pull to the first post...

49460336438_6de15d5ce7_z.jpg

What does everybody think of that?

Edited by Murdoch17

Check out all the new snapshots in the first post, which has been completely rewritten!

50373177452_13ebd284ee_z.jpg

(I'm tagging @Pdaitabird in this post because I've finally taken pictures of my five plank wagons from earlier this year that were based on his design. I'm also going to tag @ScotNick, because his 9F steamer from way back in 2014 inspired the 2-10-0 Austerity loco seen in the photo here.)