Gray Gear

[MOC][WIP] Mazda RX7 FD (FINAL UPDATE) +Rotary Engine Instructions

Great to see some progress on this build!:thumbup: The overall bodywork looks pretty good and I love the detailed engine.:wub: How long does it take to open the hood? I also have some minor critics, firstly regarding the bonnet. Whilst the shape is pretty good, I don't like the stacked liftarms on top. It looks like you can get rid of many by placing two 3x11 panels at the sides and one at the very front of the bonnet. Secondly think that the B pillar looks a bit messy. And last, is it really necessary to have 4 shocks on the rear axle? I am looking forward to the next update!

2 minutes ago, T Lego said:

How long does it take to open the hood? I also have some minor critics, firstly regarding the bonnet. Whilst the shape is pretty good, I don't like the stacked liftarms on top. It looks like you can get rid of many by placing two 3x11 panels at the sides and one at the very front of the bonnet. Secondly think that the B pillar looks a bit messy. And last, is it really necessary to have 4 shocks on the rear axle?

You sure know your stuff :grin: Opening the hood takes a good while, but I dont want to gear it up beacause it it gets too hard to turn the knob. Such a huge hood is heavy, and the actuators sit pretty far back :sceptic:

I'll try using panels in the hood, I also thik this would be a good improvement. B pillar is still under construction, the angle isn't even fixed yet. But the shape is very difficult to achieve, at least for me.

And yes, 4 shocks in the rear are nececary, but the 2 outer ones on each side will probably be swapped for softer ones in the future.

So, here it is, the final update for the WIP thread. There is still a lot to do, but its mostly exchanging differently colored pieces, putting in some Bucketseats and a floor and adding some more details.

I finished the rear, and mounted the huge rear diffusor and the big GT wing. 

IMG_20200118_123208.jpg

I improved the B pillar

IMG_20200118_123310.jpg

IMG_20200118_123514.jpg

Also, after @T Lego's advice I revisited the Hood, and exchanged the many small liftarms with two 3x11 panels.

IMG_20200118_123401.jpg

Tell me what you think, and feel free to point out some possible improvements. Thank you :blush:

Gray Gear

I've spent about 20 minutes looking at your creation. Impressive work! :drool:

Looks fantastic. You've done a great job with shaping.  The 7 has such a huge rear window that can't be replacated in technic that it may appear off to some but to me it's perfect.  Well done!  Wow!

Awesome job! If Lego released more yellow Technic pieces I'd totally make an RE-Amemiya RX-7 (Super-G with fender mirrors, mmm... :drool:) in 1:10 scale.

It is my absolute favorite car, after all.

IMG_0903-5.jpg

8 minutes ago, StudWorks said:

Awesome job! If Lego released more yellow Technic pieces I'd totally make an RE-Amemiya RX-7 (Super-G with fender mirrors, mmm... :drool:) in 1:10 scale.

It is my absolute favorite car, after all.

IMG_0903-5.jpg

Oh, god damn it. Mirrors. I gotta make some mirros too. I seriously forgot that was still on the to do list :wall:. The ones on the pic are the ones I alway thought were really cool, but they wont be easy to replicate. But I'll give it a shot.

I thought about doing yellow too, but white was just easier to do. And now I think it looks better too :grin:

I am absolutely blown away!! I love the style of the body and everything flows well! My only criticism is the back end is a little bland and it would be cooler if it was more Technic and less System.

It looks great indeed! I am glad you fitted 3x11 panels on the bonnet. I agree with KD123 about the rear window. To get a better sense of depth you could consider to place a beam which runs from the bottem to top of the rear window in the center. If you decide to give it a try, I recommend to do it in black. Anyways, I am looking forward to the final car!

8 minutes ago, KugeliuX said:

It looks so awesome! Can you do the tutorial for the engine please? 

I ll probably do s short video showing how the engine works and how to build it. But it will take a while until I can get to it :laugh:

20 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Tell me what you think

I think you are a lover of rice cookers :laugh:. IMO the black/white color combo looks unspectacular. Of course you have not many other options, but e.g. red on chromed bugatti wheels would look much better, since you already "broke the law" by using non-Lego wheel arches, they exist in red somewhere as well. Also I´m not a fan of the tiles above the rear wheel arch.

EDIT: And I miss the sleeping eyes of the older RX7

Edited by brunojj1

22 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

IMO the black/white color combo looks unspectacular. Of course you have not many other options, but e.g. red on chromed bugatti wheels would look much better, since you already "broke the law" by using non-Lego wheel arches, they exist in red somewhere as well.

I agree that the white and black color combo looks pretty lowkey, but I like it that way. I'll add some bright colored detailing in the future, probably yellow brake calippers, yellow shock absorbers and blue racing seats.

And yes, red wheel arches do exist, I have some already :grin:

29 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

EDIT: And I miss the sleeping eyes of the older RX7

I tried to do the pop up headlights, but have you looked at the shape of these? I was not even close to being able to get these clean looking and working at the same time. The NSX Headlights already were a huge pain source :sceptic:

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I ll probably do s short video showing how the engine works and how to build it. But it will take a while until I can get to it :laugh:

Okay. Thank you very much! 

Okay, here you go. (Especially you, @Matiss56 , I hope this helps :grin:) I made a instruction video for the rotary engine. Its also my first time speaking in a video :look: I hope my accent isn't that bad :grin:

Feel free to use it in your own rotary powered cars, they deserve lots of love :wub: