LM71Blackbird

[GoC - Ship] Class 5 Xebec "Sternidae"

[GoC - Ship] Class 5 Xebec "Sternidae"

Sailing from the Corrington mainland, the xebec "Sternidae" is welcomed into the bustling port of Quinnsville.

48954340221_24d97bb5ab_b.jpgXebec 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The ship is laden with precious cargo from the old world cities. Thanks to her large hull, she had an extra large load for the long voyage to Cocovia.

48954529142_093caefaf9_b.jpgXebec 5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Being a completely unarmed vessel, she traveled from port to port safely with the help of the ships of the Royal Navy.

48954528222_4a99ab8c97_b.jpgXebec 7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Now, she will call the new world home and travel the islands.

--------------------------------------------------

My first build towards the GoC Merchant Marine tasks. This one my Task #2 build. A medium sized ship between class 3-5. I am still really new at rigging, so please keep that in mind! :laugh: C&C are welcome and appreciated and thanks for looking!

@Bregir @Ayrlego @SilentWolf @Captain Dee

What a looking beautiful looking Xebec! These ships are very tough to build in Lego, but you seemed to do a wonderful job in undertaking the difficulties that come in building a Xebec. Always nice to see the leaning front mast. Did you attach any bricks to it, or is it just attached with thread?

Once again, it turned out wonderfully. It's always nice to see your builds in brick and Sternidae will be a wonderful addition to Quinnsville! :pir_laugh2:

The rigging and sails are nicely done, the hull shape is good, I'm not an expert but the ship is easily recognizable, since it shows clearly the characteristics of a xebec, and considering your limited parts stock, I think you've done a good job here.

My only suggestion is if you could try to add more curves to the hull, especially around the waterline, for example matching the white line with the black railings.Now the upper part of your ship looks good, it has a nice curve, so if you could find a way to let that white line follow the curve of the black railings, it may improve the look of your ship further.:pir-classic:

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:10 PM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

What a looking beautiful looking Xebec! These ships are very tough to build in Lego, but you seemed to do a wonderful job in undertaking the difficulties that come in building a Xebec. Always nice to see the leaning front mast. Did you attach any bricks to it, or is it just attached with thread?

Once again, it turned out wonderfully. It's always nice to see your builds in brick and Sternidae will be a wonderful addition to Quinnsville! :pir_laugh2:

Thank you! I worked hard on the hull so I'm glad that it turned out the way it did! As for the front mast, that is actually on a hinge brick and the thread is minor stability and decoration.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, Bodi said:

The rigging and sails are nicely done, the hull shape is good, I'm not an expert but the ship is easily recognizable, since it shows clearly the characteristics of a xebec, and considering your limited parts stock, I think you've done a good job here.

My only suggestion is if you could try to add more curves to the hull, especially around the waterline, for example matching the white line with the black railings.Now the upper part of your ship looks good, it has a nice curve, so if you could find a way to let that white line follow the curve of the black railings, it may improve the look of your ship further.:pir-classic:

Thank you! I can see what you are saying about the white line on the water line. I consider her finished at this point, but I'll see about that for my next vessel. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nice vessel. I appreciate the effort shown on both hull and rigging, and it's good to see another build in real bricks. Approved :thumbup: for the Glory of Corrington!

Just now, Captain Dee said:

Nice vessel. I appreciate the effort shown on both hull and rigging, and it's good to see another build in real bricks. Approved :thumbup: for the Glory of Corrington!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Glad you like the rigging as well, that's a new thing for me. 

Xebec's are one of my favourite types of vessels on the brick seas (and a type I had no idea existed before I joined BoBS!). This one doesn't disappoint with it's slick shape and beautiful sails. For me with my limited sailing ship knowledge, it checks all the 'essential' features of a Xebec with the angled masts, triangular sails and overhanging forecastle. In my eye it appears a little angular, although I think that would be difficult to change at this scale and I can't think of any constructive advice to make to correct this. A lovely addition to the brick seas and a :thumbup: from me for GoC

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice Xebec LM and it's always better with a crew!

Thank you! This is my first attempt at one in real bricks, but I like the way that it turned out!