Sign in to follow this  
shadow_elenter

[MOC] Mechanical Theme Park Thrill Ride -- ride of blades

Enjoy :classic::

It looks like a pure torture device, and it's ment to, but in reality all mechanics are set up to stop, or fold out of the way JUST in time

Most of us have seen this experiment:

aqiA4Uk.gif

You know it won't actually reach your face, but your body will scream in fear "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" anyway. 
That's a "fun" scary feeling, but completely different from a haunted mansion scary feeling so This gave me the idea to create a mechanical scare ride.
my goal was to use as many different potential mechanical hazards as possible so each station has a different way of almost killing you (if everything goes well...).

This thing is HUGE! 105x74x39 CM or 41x29x15 INCH 
I literally ran out of black pins and liftarms longer that 7L.
Believe it or not, I built this thing in 23 days, followed by 6 days of filming and editing.
Yes, I had a lot of spare time, and I may have gotten somewhat obsessive about this project... LOL:laugh:

I used 14 motors to power everything and 4 SBricks to control it all.uS6Tuat.jpg
Everything is automated with SBrick sequences to make the cart go round and to stop all contraptions JUST in time. In theory one could program the thing to have multiple carts go around at once, but I don't like programming, and doing so would take A LOT of time.
djBcFNu.jpg

DcVxejH.jpg
the station first perfectly aligns the cart, and then locks it in with liftarms on either side, when it hits the wedge on the fordable walkway the safety bar pops open.
The little gate is simply powered with a 9V micro motor.
gt8PanE.jpg
bIbapGm.jpg
E3VcVsn.jpg
RzUV9gu.jpg
UrUgqWN.jpg
Some contraptions get pushed out of the way by the conveyor belt, and others (the scissors,choppers and the stabbers) have a wedge lock system.
They have tracks with 5L liftarms on them on specific places. If those liftarms reaches a  wedge below the tracks they push the wedge down, this makes a pin rise or lower to block an axle from turning. that axle is connected to a motor with a clutch gear so it just slips.
This controls when and at what point a contraption stops.
KR3n0I7.jpg

NcsaMSc.jpg
1dRf1hV.jpg
r2dkEau.jpg
AupjCMm.jpg

I didn't make a complete build plan because that would take forever, but I can imagine someone that has more lego than me could make an epic haunted mansion ride for minifigs with this track system. With that in mind I made a 3D file of the most basic loop that can be expanded by lengthening the conveyor belt and mirroring the entry side of a given segment to make either a left or right turn, the rest is up to the builder.
7ZV6yGC.jpg

LINK TO 3D FILES

If you want to see build pictures LOOK HERE

Well, That's about it!

Edited by shadow_elenter

Great work and some really interesting solutions & mechanisms.

Has given me some ideas for a new GBC Train Module using curved gear racks.

Top build! Nice view from the action cam, really shows what the Technic figure has to go through :)

Just when I've seen it all you come up with a whole new level of crazy. I love it!

41 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Just when I've seen it all you come up with a whole new level of crazy. I love it!

+1 :thumbup: (I mean... what is there left to say.)

On 2/1/2019 at 12:26 PM, Doug72 said:

Has given me some ideas for a new GBC Train Module using curved gear racks.

That's great to hear!:classic:, I'm curious what you come up with!

22 hours ago, grum64 said:

Thank you! It is getting harder and harder to invent these levels of crazy though

7 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

That's great to hear!:classic:, I'm curious what you come up with!

Change of plan - now working on a parallelogram linkage device,  inspired by your curved rack lift except will use a double crank system to move it.

See my GBC Train Swing Loader for a mechanism using curved gear racks on the GBC Train thread on Page 19 dec. 2nd. 2018

Edited by Doug72

Killer, what a great build and idea. I wouldn't be surprised to actually see something like this come to fruition in the real world. Please keep your arms in the ride at all times! 

Absolutely amazing! I'm always a fan of non-vehicle creations in Technic, and this has to be one of the most original I've ever seen.

Thanks guys! Glad you all like it:classic:.

Getting praised is awesome ofcourse, but would also like to improve upon myself, both as a lego builder and a video creator. 

So I'd like to hear some (constructive) criticism on my work as well.

What would you have done differently?

I made a picture under her skirt (hope it doesn't get flagged as inappropriate content:tongue:).

dVDl2Y5.jpg

Once again a very impressive creation, it's great to see the variety in all of your builds. I was very impressed by the first-person part of the video.