efferman

42096 Porsche 911 RSR Mods and improvements

regarding the wheels, i did the math (looked up tire specs on the real RSR) and for a 1:10 model, the tires are only off by a single mm, so the size is pretty much ideal for the lego set, the problem lies more in the wheel arches and the fact that the proportions of the car itself are a bit off. Also, i think the ground clearance and suspension travel are a bit too much, but cant really be helped if you want something playable in lego scale.

@Kaydash i like the use of the red wheels on your car, certainly makes them a bit more flashy!

I will get around to "fixing" 42096 at some point, but ive got to finish the Chiron first, and rebuild 8880

15 hours ago, SNIPE said:

You could try to use the larger porsche wheels but move the suspention on the wishbone end up 1 hole. This will increase the ride height but allow for more room under the wheel arch.

That´s a nice idea, thanks. :thumbup:

But i think the main problem are the grey T-Bone liftarms, not the suspension.

Some improvements, in false colors, since everything should be black :) I ordered black missing parts to see how it goes! 

I like the curves, what do you guys think? 

2pp1.jpg

nb2i.jpg

6jxj.jpg

6k3u.jpg

Edited by Kaydash

Looks good so far, but I think the headlights should be one stud further in. At the moment this doesn't really convey a widebody-kit

12 hours ago, Bartybum said:

one stud further in. 

You mean downwards, or backwards?

32 minutes ago, Kaydash said:

I think he mean inside!

4 hours ago, Kaydash said:

As in further to the centre. That or they need to be slightly smaller

Sorry for my bad English understanding :look:

I'm afraid that if i do so, 1 stud  further in to the center, they'll touch the white hoses. I've not come so far with a part i could swap with the ones i use. Ideas are welcome :D

Edited by Kaydash

I wound up taking a different approach to effermans front mod, my headlights are now placed half a stud inwards (which makes it look just a tiny bit more widebody), and the bottom two lights of each cluster sit a full block forward of the top (which sits back by one stud i guess)

Downside is that the beam on which the light clusters are fixed is now no longer fixed to the side of the bodywork, so while that is no big deal for the clusters, the wheelarch/bumper is slightly more floppy, ill see if i can fix that tomorrow. I also need to beef up the red accents, as there is no red on the outside of the lights. The entire red/black "moustache" is entirely stock.

I think it might be worth moving the tyres and arches half to one stud outwards too, if the headlights can’t be moved. Looking at photos of the real RSR versus 42096, the real one’s wheelbase is really wide in comparison to Lego’s. Might be worth investigating :laugh:

Edited by Bartybum

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I think it might be worth moving the tyres and arches half to one stud outwards too, if the headlights can’t be moved. Looking at photos of the real RSR versus 42096, the real one’s wheelbase is really wide in comparison to Lego’s. Might be worth investigating :laugh:

Agreed, AFAIK the width and height of the car are bang on 1:10 though, as are the wheels, so changing the width (which would make the length more correct) would mean it needs to be a bit higher and have slightly bigger wheels, and you end up somewhere around 1:9 scale or something.

Still debating if im going to get yellow cannopies to go for the 2017 GTE look, but that would also mean rebuilding the rear with the 2017 spec exhausts etc..

On 6/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, Kaydash said:

Some improvements, in false colors, since everything should be black :) I ordered black missing parts to see how it goes! 

I like the curves, what do you guys think? 

2pp1.jpg

nb2i.jpg

6jxj.jpg

6k3u.jpg

Hey Kaydash,

What parts did you use for the headlight mod?  and do you have instructions?

Thanks!

On 6/12/2019 at 7:05 PM, Kaydash said:

6k3u.jpg

with some black gear rack ... its making me want to buy the set instantly

i really like what you have done :D

Here are some improvements. 

Still trying to figure out how to tweaks the headlights (3x3 dish?)

20190619-125137.jpg

20190623-183131.jpg

20190619-115752.jpg

20190623-183159.jpg

20190623-183231.jpg

20190623-183249.jpg

20190619-125217.jpg

Next steps, HoG, widen the rear :wub:

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:44 AM, norcalgt3 said:

Hey Kaydash,

What parts did you use for the headlight mod?  and do you have instructions?

Thanks!

Hi mate, simple moc but yet to improve (smaller dishes, one stud back?)

20190409-180605.jpg

20190409-180711.jpg

20190409-181414.jpg

20190409-181634.jpg

Hope it helps ;)

Edited by Kaydash

Hello! Some time ago I took second place in the tuning contest with this model, inside a lot of interesting things and tricks!

- four-wheel drive (4L motors, servo, buwizz)

- safety frame, realistic doors, wide body, new spoiler, air cooling, light and more

- finished red line along the body, new stickers and matching wheels

78vrO21hVJ0.jpg

Nx0nlhl-e8k.jpg

6pnMch21xms.jpg

Pne9YgrlqhU.jpg

G2NiV1MBigw.jpg

mzIs5zHB5o0.jpg

67hZrUsvvkU.jpg

nx7GCh08FbI.jpg

i_U8UE5D3Z8.jpg

k20NlVgKBFY.jpg

caZ1PuggrOM.jpg

im really digging the louvre engine cover and the rollcage, the hubcaps are ace too (so sad that i got rid of my 599), but those tires are waaaayy too much for this scale.

im glad to see this car get some serious modding attention

How about adding a sequential gearbox like the porsche 911 RS (With paddles of course)

Edited by SNIPE

On 7/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, SNIPE said:

How about adding a sequential gearbox like the porsche 911 RS (With paddles of course)

i think that would be an awesome idea. I’ve built a motorized chassis with a 4 speed gearbox, but im not good enough of a builder to build one into the RSR.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, SNIPE said:

If you wanted to do that, I'd recommend starting from zero. A talented builder could probably fit a 8 speed sequential transmission in a custom built frame of the same scale. Tbh I dont get why some of you even bother to modify this car, I think you could really step up your game if you just built your own model of the car without using LEGOs chassis. For some small fixes, I get it, no need to build a new car. But some of the redesigns above go a lot further.

Current progrss so far:

KjHh3gS.png

I have put an 8 speed gearbox with padles in place as well as read wheel steering and a front differential. I hope do add a center differential and adjustable suspention hen make it all RC (shifting, steering, drive, suspention) with a couple of buwizzes.

I know parts overlap curently but it is just so see if it will fit in the scale of the model, but also fit where the axles, steering wheel, engine, etc already is. and it does! after moving some stuff about . I need to make a chassis for everything of course and that is the hard part.

After removing the offending piecesof the chassis:

prOjhfb.png

Edited by SNIPE

8 speed gearbox + paddle, that 's quite a feat actually. Looking forward to your progress ??