TomSkippy

[SR - FB] Drowned Rat

Being a captain wasn't what Johnny expected. He didn't remember Redbeard or Woodhouse swabbing decks or hoisting sails, nor did he remember the crews muttering quite so much. Johnny didn't remember what was in the cargo hold either... Oh well.

44787600274_f6002d5b3d_c.jpg

Johnny wondering why his spyglass wasn't working...

31640282108_68eb12b348_c.jpg

Here's a side shot with the yard arms visible:

43695944490_6744813340_c.jpg

A view of the deck/front, I'm proud of the rat figurehead and small anchors:

31640575538_58e7907a51_c.jpg

Quick shot of the stern:

31640254978_ec537fd0bd_c.jpg

C&C welcome! She'll be registered as a Class 1

Really pretty, with a surprising amount of detail for a model this size. Very well done! :thumbup:

Wow !! That's a pretty great first ship !!

Full of details and with a nice shape. Really well done !!

Excellent story !

1 hour ago, TomSkippy said:

why his spyglass wasn't working...

:thumbup::head_back::iamded_lol:

This is such a nice little ship, as Drunknok said, you really managed to pack in a surprising amount of detail!  I love the hatches and great job on the sails.  And you've even got a rat figure head! :pir-laugh:

What a boat! It's incredible that you've managed to incorporate so many details in such a small boat, and the hull is nicely curved too.

Well now I know what to do with those little sails I have lol.   Great little ship...  Not too much I can say that hasn't been said already.  I really love the lantern use! 

That certainly is a clever build.  Great job! Not sure about the connotations of the name though. :pir-grin:

I agree with everybody before me and want to encourage you to keep this level of detail in future builds, awesome! 

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I think I was subconsciously inspired by my all-time favorite lego ship: the little merchantman from the ITP. 

As a side note, I’m struggling to get good definition on the black parts of my build, any suggestions?

Edited by TomSkippy
Format

I absolutely adore this little vessel - I don't really have much to add what others have said (the only thing I can say about black bricks is to have good lighting and hope for the best) - the amount of details at this scale is amazing!

What material did you use for sails?

Very nice!

3 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

As a side note, I’m struggling to get good definition on the black parts of my build, any suggestions?

Some photographers (particularly portrait artists) use a reflective panel to 'bounce' light. Just a piece of white paper would work to reflect a bit more light onto the model.

On 10/23/2018 at 3:49 PM, Kwatchi said:

Not sure about the connotations of the name though. :pir-grin:

What is not to like about a drowned rat? :pir_tong2:

@Ross Fisher thanks for the suggestion, I’ll definitely give it a try next build that uses a lot of black!

@Bregir I used a canvas drawing pad I found at a hobby store, calls itself “primed cotton”. I poked a hole in the packaging to check the feel/weight: pretty close to the original thing, just a little softer but has a nice cloth/canvas/sail texture. Soaked it in old coffee to darken from white; in the future I may try a clothing dye (couldn’t get it any darker than pictured)